Dynastic History of Morocco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moon

Gentry
Country
Canada
The current Moroccan Royal family is part of the Alaouite Dynasty. Morocco was a monarchy way before the Alaouite dynasty which is the 7th Moroccan dynasty so far. The first one was the Idrisside.

The following are names of the Dynasties that ruled Morocco:

1 Idrisside dynasty:
2 Almoravide dynasty
3 Almohade dynasty
4 Merinide dynasty
5 Wattaside dynasty
6 Saadi Dynasty
7 Alaouite Dynasty: 1631-Present

The first king in the Alaouite Dynasty and grand-grand--father of M6 is My Ali Cherif. And the current king Mohamed VI (M6) is the 23rd Monarch in the Alaouite Dynasty. It seems to me that the Kingdom of Morocco is not a new country created by France or Britain (2 majors colonizes of past centuries)..The following links give pictures of all the kings of this Dynasty since 1631- present:

1: http://www.mincom.gov.ma/french/generalites/histoire/dynastie/DynastieAlaouite1.htm

2: http://www.mincom.gov.ma/french/generalites/histoire/dynastie/DynastieAlaouite2.htm

Last edited:
Moon said:
It seems to me that the Kingdom of Morocco is not a new country created by France or Britain (2 majors colonizes of past centuries)..
"It seems to me that The Kingdom of Morocco is not a new country", I would just to say this is a real historical fact than an impression.
The name of the country has changed several times since the Phoenicians.

Al-Hashimi, Al-Alaoui, ... are names which correspond to the men who were related to the Prophet Mohamed (as they said).

this might not be thread to ask this but it is my understanding that the morrocan royal family are descendants of the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) but their link is much 'stronger' to the Prophet's lineage than the Hashimites. For some reason, I keep thinking that the Hashimite linkage is pretty convultued not as 'direct' as the Morrocan link. Anyone know????

All of the descendents of the Prophet Mohammed's (peace upon him) are from Fatima and Ali. Some are descendent through his grandson Hassan (the Hashimites) and some through his grandson Hussein ( the Morrocan's I think).

Ipi Tombe said:
this might not be thread to ask this but it is my understanding that the morrocan royal family are descendants of the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) but their link is much 'stronger' to the Prophet's lineage than the Hashimites. For some reason, I keep thinking that the Hashimite linkage is pretty convultued not as 'direct' as the Morrocan link. Anyone know????

Sorry, but your opinion is not backed by the historical realities. Both dynasties have common ancestors: the Prophets’s daughter Fatima and her husband Ali (Prophet Mohammed’s - PBUH - first cousin and later the fourth caliph, for the Shiites the first Imam), their elder son Hassan, Hassan’s son Hassan al-Musanna and whose son Abdullah al-Kamil. The Hashimites are the descendants of Abdullah al-Kamil’s son Musa, the Moroccan Alaouites claim to be the descendants of one of his numerous other sons: al-Qasim. As many other Sherifian families they left Mecca and the Hijaz and settled later in Morocco. At the end of the 16th century this Alaouites (then called the Hassani-Shorfa) controlled the valley of Tafilalet in southeast Morocco with the city Sijilmassa at the border of the Sahara, at that time a rich place, because it was an important base for the caravans crossing the Sahara and a center for the slave trade (the city doesn’t exist anymore, but there is still the tomb of Moulay Ali Sherif, the forefather of the actual royals, which became a place of pilgrimage). After the decline of the then ruling (also Sherifian or “Shorfa”) Saadian dynasty the Hassani-Shorfa (now called Alaouites) could gain control of the whole Morocco by force (in the 1670s) and became the sultans of this country (in 1956 Mohammed V changed the title to King).
Meanwhile Musa’s descendants stayed in Mecca as the rulers of the holy city and parts of the Hijaz (from the 10th to the early 20th century), more or less dependent of the respective caliph. During World War I Sherif Hussein bin Ali from this lineage, the holder of the title “sherif of the sherifs” of that time and Emir of Mecca (since 1904) started the Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire as an ally of the British-French alliance against the Turkish-German coalition, dreaming of a great Arab kingdom. He actually became King of Hijaz. While his eldest son Ali was already in 1925 deposed as king and driven out of the Hijaz by Ibn Saud, two of his other sons were more successful: in the early 1920s Faisal became the first King of Iraq after a short unsuccessful intermezzo as king of Syria, and Abdullah Emir of Transjordan (since 1950 King of Jordan). Their name “Hashemites” or al-Hashimi derives from Hashim bin Abd al-Manaf, the great-grandfather of both the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) and of his cousin and son-in-law Ali bin Abi Talib.

Monalisa said:
As for the 3d world country thing,I don't agree that is related to that,the alaouite family monarchy is older more than 1000years,and it's normal that their wealth is big,it's not like some families especially middle eastern one who came from nowhere in the last century,and took the power,and now they are the wealthiest in the world... ;)

The history of the Alouite family is not identical with the history of the Moroccan monarchy, which is indeed more than 1000 years old. There were a lot of different dynasties ruling this country in that period of time, one following the other by ousting by force and often exterminating the predecessors. Most of these dynasties had a fresh start with a new capital, new palaces etc. This was also the case with the Alaouites. They took advantage of the decline of the Saadian dynasty in the 17th century, could gain control of the country by force in the 1670s and became then the sultans of Morocco (in 1956 Mohammed V changed the title to King).

Veram98 said:
The history of the Alouite family is not identical with the history of the Moroccan monarchy, which is indeed more than 1000 years old. There were a lot of different dynasties ruling this country in that period of time, one following the other by ousting by force and often exterminating the predecessors. Most of these dynasties had a fresh start with a new capital, new palaces etc. This was also the case with the Alaouites. They took advantage of the decline of the Saadian dynasty in the 17th century, could gain control of the country by force in the 1670s and became then the sultans of Morocco (in 1956 Mohammed V changed the title to King).

The alaouite dynasty is a moroccan/arab wealthy powerful family who is from the area of Tafilelt and seateled there from the 13th century,they didn't come from nowhere or from an other country to take power in Morocco.

They took power on 1631(Mohammed I (1631-1635)),and technically,since that,all what belonged to the the other moroccan dynasties(Idrissides,Almoravides,Almohades,Saadyines then Alaouite),became automatically an Alaouite property...

Last edited:
Monalisa said:
The alaouite dynasty is a moroccan/arab wealthy powerful family who is from the area of Tafilelt and seateled there from the 13th century,they didn't come from nowhere or from an other country to take power in Morocco.
They took power on 1631(Mohammed I (1631-1635)),and technically,since that,all what belonged to the the other moroccan dynasties(Idrissides,Almoravides,Almohades,Saadyines then Alaouite),became automatically an Alaouite property...

The first alaouite sultan of Morocco was Moulay al-Rashid, who marched in 1666 into Fez and took then the title sultan. Later on he was able to capture Marrakesh in 1669 and to subjugate the rest of the country. It was his father Moulay Ali Cherif who took power in Tafilalt around 1630, succeeded there by his other son Moulay Mohammed. Both were only local rulers.
Moulay Ismail, al-Rashid’s brother and successor in 1672, was able to stabilize the power of the new dynasty, he destroyed the palaces of his Saadian predecessors (for example in Marrakesh) and extended and improved Meknes as his new capital with his own brand-new palaces.

The Alaouites were Moroccans yes, in 1666 already settling for several centuries in Morocco like many other Sherifian families whose ancestors left Mecca and the Hijaz for the Maghreb.

Is it true that the current family is a direct descended from the prophet Mohamed, and that's why they are in power since a generation to another? (and i guess the same goes to JR family)
Thanks.

amina1 said:
Is it true that the current family is a direct descended from the prophet Mohamed, and that's why they are in power since a generation to another? (and i guess the same goes to JR family)
Thanks.

Both dynasties (the Moroccan Alaouites and the Jordanian Hashemites) have common ancestors: the Prophets’s daughter Fatima and her husband Ali (Prophet Mohammed’s - PBUH - first cousin and later the fourth caliph, for the Shiites the first Imam), their elder son Hassan, Hassan’s son Hassan al-Musanna and whose son Abdullah al-Kamil. The Hashimites are the descendants of Abdullah al-Kamil’s son Musa, the Moroccan Alaouites claim to be the descendants of one of his numerous other sons: al-Qasim. As many other Sherifian families they left Mecca and the Hijaz and settled later in Morocco. At the beginning of the 17th century this Alaouites (then called the Hassani-Shorfa) controlled the valley of Tafilalet in southeast Morocco (as I mentioned in my other post) with the city Sijilmassa at the border of the Sahara, at that time a rich place, because it was an important base for the caravans crossing the Sahara and a center for the slave trade (the city doesn’t exist anymore, but there is still the tomb of Moulay Ali Sherif (or Cherif), which became a place of pilgrimage). I recalled in my earlier post how they became sultans and kings of Morocco.
Meanwhile Musa’s descendants stayed in Mecca as the rulers of the holy city and parts of the Hijaz (from the 10th to the early 20th century), more or less dependent of the respective caliph. During World War I Sherif Hussein bin Ali from this lineage, the holder of the title “sherif of the sherifs” (or Grand Sherif) of that time and Emir of Mecca (since 1904) started the Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire as an ally of the British-French alliance against the Turkish-German coalition, dreaming of a great Arab kingdom. He actually became King of Hijaz. While his eldest son Ali was already in 1925 deposed as king and driven out of the Hijaz by Ibn Saud (the founder of the kingdom of Saudi Arabia), two of his other sons were more successful: in the early 1920s Faisal became the first King of Iraq after a short unsuccessful intermezzo as king of Syria, and Abdullah Emir of Transjordan (since 1950 King of Jordan). Their name “Hashemites” or al-Hashimi derives from Hashim bin Abd al-Manaf, the great-grandfather of both the Prophet Mohammed and of his cousin and son-in-law Ali bin Abi Talib.

For both families the descendance from the prophet is part of their claim to power and legitimacy of their rule.

Veram98 said:
The first alaouite sultan of Morocco was Moulay al-Rashid, who marched in 1666 into Fez and took then the title sultan. Later on he was able to capture Marrakesh in 1669 and to subjugate the rest of the country. It was his father Moulay Ali Cherif who took power in Tafilalt around 1630, succeeded there by his other son Moulay Mohammed. Both were only local rulers.
Moulay Ismail, al-Rashid’s brother and successor in 1672, was able to stabilize the power of the new dynasty, he destroyed the palaces of his Saadian predecessors (for example in Marrakesh) and extended and improved Meknes as his new capital with his own brand-new palaces.

This is off topic but the first Alaouite ruler was Mohammed I,My Rashid was the 3d one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rulers_of_Morocco.my point about talking about all the moroccan dynasties who are older from 787,so older than 1000years(1218years),so their story is old and it's normal that their wealth should be big.

The Alaouites were Moroccans yes, in 1666 already settling for several centuries in Morocco like many other Sherifian families whose ancestors left Mecca and the Hijaz for the Maghreb.

Yes like all arabs of Morocco,they technically come from Middle East,as original Moroccans are not arabs but berbers,and by the way,not all sherifian families left Hijaz to rule otherwise,it's the case for the jordanian and iraqi who was brought by british to help kicking out of the ottomans,but the sherifian Alaouite family come there in 13th century not to rule,but for trades and the first Sherifian Alaouite who come to Morocco was l-Hesn d-Dakhl, who lived then in the town of Yanbu in the Hejaz, was brought to Morocco by the inabitants of Tafilalet to be their Imām. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaouite_Dynasty

One fascinating family. The way they disposed of the rival Dynasties reminds me what I read in a book about the old practices in the Ottoman Empire, sometimes exagerated, that the Sultan that took over used to get rid of any male rivals on the spot. No mercy, very much like the lions taking over a Pride pack and removing the cubs of other lions.

Monalisa said:
This is off topic but the first Alaouite ruler was Mohammed I,My Rashid was the 3d one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rulers_of_Morocco.my point about talking about all the moroccan dynasties who are older from 787,so older than 1000years(1218years),so their story is old and it's normal that their wealth should be big.

Yes like all arabs of Morocco,they technically come from Middle East,as original Moroccans are not arabs but berbers,and by the way,not all sherifian families left Hijaz to rule otherwise,it's the case for the jordanian and iraqi who was brought by british to help kicking out of the ottomans,but the sherifian Alaouite family come there in 13th century not to rule,but for trades and the first Sherifian Alaouite who come to Morocco was l-Hesn d-Dakhl, who lived then in the town of Yanbu in the Hejaz, was brought to Morocco by the inabitants of Tafilalet to be their Ima¯m. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaouite_Dynasty

The Saadian rule in Morocco ended definitively in 1659 with the reign of Sultan Ahmad II in midst of a political chaos in the country. My Rashid took advantage of this chaos. He had started his ascent with a small army in the east of Morocco and had been able to expand his power and first seized Taza. In 1666 he conquered with Fez one of the old capitals of the country that let him take the title of Sultan. Only afterwards he subjugated the rest of the country. His Alaouite predecessors were only rulers of smaller parts of Morocco; My Rashid regained the unity of Morocco lost under the last Saadians and was the first Alaouite ruler of the whole country; My Ismael was afterwards the one who consolidated this unity and the Alaouite rule in the 55 years he reigned (even on wikipedia sites you will find this facts although historical events are often portrayed there in too simplified terms).

Your first post on the theme was a bit unclear and suggested that the Alaouite monarchy was “more than 1000 years old”. But the Alaouites were not among the first Arabs to conquer the Maghreb and not yet in Morocco when the (Arab) monarchy was founded there (as you mentioned meanwhile yourself). But this does not mean that it is in any way a problem for me or anybody else that they were not “Arabs of the first hour” there but arrived centuries later. This was by the way nothing unusual. The Islamic world has always witnessed a lot of mobility, even, esp. in the Golden Age of Islam, between Mashreq and Maghreb.

By the way I missed in your dynasty list the Merinides (while studying Islamic history I got a special interest in that dynasty, maybe because I like so much their striking beautiful medersa buildings of the 14th century).

Monalisa said:
by the way,not all sherifian families left Hijaz to rule otherwise,it's the case for the jordanian and iraqi who was brought by british to help kicking out of the ottomans,but the sherifian Alaouite family come there in 13th century not to rule,but for trades[/URL]

Of course, many Sherifian families stayed in the Hijaz (and still do). Since the 10th century the heads of one of them: of the Hashemite family were even rulers/governors (esp. the guardians of the Holy Places of Islam) here till the 1920s, when Mecca was taken by the Wahabites under Ibn Saud (some of the princes of this family lived though at least for a while in the Ottoman capital Istanbul-Constantinople like the future king Abdullah I of Jordan, i.a. as a deputy for Mecca and sometime vice-chairman of the Ottoman parliament).
To discuss their further history this is maybe not the right thread.

Veram98 said:
By the way I missed in your dynasty list the Merinides (while studying Islamic history I got a special interest in that dynasty, maybe because I like so much their striking beautiful medersa buildings of the 14th century).

You are right,I forgot to mention the Merinides dynasty before the Saadyines,but also two others dynasties who made a slight apparition in the history of dynasties of Morocco(the Maghrawa after the Idrisides dynasty and before Almoravides,and the Wattasides dynasty after the Merinides and before the Saadyines)

* The Idrissides dynasty (788-974)

*The Maghrawa dynasty (987-1070)

*The Almoravides dynasty (1073-1147)

*The Almohades dynasty (1147-1269)

*The Merinides dynasty (1258-1420)

*The Wattassides dynasty (1420-1547)

*The Saadyines dynasty (1554-1659)

*The Alaouite dynasty (1631 - current)

The Merinides (while studying Islamic history I got a special interest in that dynasty, maybe because I like so much their striking beautiful medersa buildings of the 14th century).

Personally I have an interest for the two berber dynasties (Almoravides and Almohades)who ruled for a while in Spain.

And also I am a big fan of the era of reign of The Saadyines dynasty,which was called "the golden era of Morocco",where it was stronger than ever and was the lonely Islamic/arabic country which could resist against the Ottomans' Empire invasion.

Monalisa said:
Personally I have an interest for the two berber dynasties (Almoravides and Almohades)who ruled for a while in Spain.

And also I am a big fan of the era of reign of The Saadyines dynasty,which was called "the golden era of Morocco",where it was stronger than ever and was the lonely Islamic/arabic country which could resist against the Ottomans' Empire invasion.

The Almoravides and Almohades who also subjugated al-Andalus were for my taste too strict in their religious behavior, too much moralists, restricting therefore a bit the thriving culture, philosophy and art of al-Andalus. But without their help the Christian Reconquista would have conquered al-Andalus much earlier.

Yes the Saadians were the only Arab Muslim dynasty to resist the Ottomans; something that makes the history of Morocco so unique compared with that of any other Arab country (one of the reasons for the fact that most of the others have got their actual borders only in the 20th century has a lot to do with first the Ottoman rule and second the circumstances of the fall of the Ottoman Empire).
You are right this is something to think highly of them.
Unfortunately, they started later to fight each other that lead to the temporary division of the country in several principalities.

Yes. The King's wife is not styled as "Queen"

Sultans and Kings of the The Alaouite Dynasty

1-moulay ali chrif 1631-1632
http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_37464_1_Moulay_Ali_Cherif_1631_32_123_304lo.jpg
2-moulay mohammed ibn chrif 1640-1664
http://img31.imagevenue.com/view.php?loc=loc583&image=th_37466_2_Moulay_Mohammed_Ibn_Cherif1st_1640_64_123_583lo.jpg&page=12&track_id=1156537570
3-moulay rachid ibn chrif 1664-1672
http://img17.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_37469_3_Moulay_Rachid_Ibn_cherif_1664_72_123_312lo.jpg
4-moulay ismail ibn chrif 1672-1727
http://img129.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_37471_4_Moulay_Ismail_Ibn_Cherif_1672_1727_123_310lo.jpg
5-moulay ahmed ibn ismail 1727-1729
http://img131.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_37474_5_Moulay_Ahmed_Ibn_Ismail_1727_1729_123_369lo.jpg
6-moulay abelmalek ibn ismail 1728-1729
http://img14.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_37857_6_Moulay_Abdelmalek_Ibn_Ismail_1728_1729_123_568lo.jpg
7-moulay abdilah ibn ismail 1729-1757
http://img142.imagevenue.com/view.php?loc=loc544&image=th_37859_7_Moulay_Abdelah_Ibn_Ismail_1729_1757_123_544lo.jpg&page=18&track_id=1156602579
8-moulay ali ibn ismail 1734-1737
http://img31.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_37862_9_Sidi_Mohammed_II_Ibn_Ismail_1737_1737_123_343lo.jpg
9- sidi mohamed 2 ibn ismail 1737-1737
http://img31.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_37862_9_Sidi_Mohammed_II_Ibn_Ismail_1737_1737_123_343lo.jpg
10-moulay almostadi ibn ismail 1737-1744
http://img134.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_37869_10_Moulay_Almostadi_Ibn_Ismail_1737_1744_123_515lo.jpg
11- moulay zine alabidine ibn ismail 1741-1741
http://img128.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_38993_11_Moulay_Zine_Alabidine_Ibn_Ismail_1741_1741_123_447lo.jpg
12-sidi mohammed 3 ibn abdellah 1757-1790
http://img16.imagevenue.com/view.php?loc=loc568&image=th_37872_12_Sidi_Mohammed_Ibn_Abdellah_1757_1790_123_568lo.jpg&page=11&track_id=1156602706
13-moulay mohammed elyazid ibn mohamed 1790-1792
http://img127.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_38870_13_Moulay_Mohammed_Elyazid_Ibn_Mohammed_1790_1792_123_347lo.jpg
14-moulasliman ibn mohammed 1792-1822
http://img127.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_38876_14_Moulay_Slimane_Ibn_Mohammed_1792_1822_123_558lo.jpg
15- moulay abderrahmane ibn hicham 1822-1859
http://img31.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_38880_15_Moulay_Abderrahmane_Ibn_Hicham_1822_1859_123_571lo.jpg
16-sidi mohammed 4 ibn abderrahmane 1859-1873
http://img147.imagevenue.com/view.php?loc=loc584&image=th_38887_16_Sidi_Mohammed_IV_Ibn_Abderrahmane_1859_1873_123_584lo.jpg&page=18&track_id=1156603157
17-moulay hassan 1 ibn mohammed 1873-1894
http://img159.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_38891_17_Moulay_Hassan_1st_Ibn_Mohammed_1873_1894_123_328lo.jpg
18-moulay abdelaziz ibn hassan 1894-1908
http://img126.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_40028_18_Moulay_Abdelaziz_Ibn_Hasan_1894_1908_123_417lo.jpg
19-moulay abdelhafid ibn hassan 1908-1912
http://img133.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_39594_19_Moulay_Abdelhafid_Ibn_Hassan_1908_1912_123_477lo.jpg
20-moulay youssef ibn hassan 1912-1927
http://img143.imagevenue.com/view.php?loc=loc466&image=th_39597_20_Moulay_Youssef_Ibn_Hassan_1912_1927_123_466lo.jpg&page=20&track_id=1156603907
21- sidi mohammed 5 ibn youssef 1927-1961
http://img126.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_39600_21_Sidi_Mohammed_V_Ibn_Youssef_1927_1961_123_591lo.jpg
22-moulay hassa2 ibn mohammed 1961-1999
http://img126.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_39600_21_Sidi_Mohammed_V_Ibn_Youssef_1927_1961_123_591lo.jpg
23- sidi mohammed 6 ibn hassan

photos from virtual-morocco.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Sultans of the Saadyines Dynasty

1- Abd al-Malik ibn Muhammad ach-Chaykh al-Mahdî 1511-1517
2- Ahmed al-Arady et Muhammed Saadi Ier 1517-1540
3- Mohammed al-Cheikh 1540-1557
4- Abdallah al-Ghalib 1557-1574
5- Muhammed Saadi II 1574-1576
6- Abu Marwan Abd al-Malik dit El-Moatassem Billah 1576-1578
7- Ahmed al-Mansur Saadi dit Ed-Dahabi 1578-1603
8- Zaidan al-Nasir 1603-1628
9- Abd al-Malik II 1628-1631
10- Al-Walid 1631-1636
11- Muhammed Saadi III 1636-1654
12- Ahmed al-Abbas 1654-1660

Sultans of The Wattassides Dynasty

1- Abu Abd Allah al-Sheikh Muhammad ibn Yahya 1472-1504
2- Abu Abd Allah al-Burtuqali Muhammad ibn Muhammad 1504-1526
3-Abu al-Hasan Abu Hasan Ali ibn Muhammad 1526-1526
4- Abu al-Abbas Ahmad ibn Muhammad 1526-1545
5- Nasir ad-Din al-Qasri Muhammad ibn Ahmad1545-1547
6- Abu al-Abbas Ahmad ibn Muhammad 1547-1549
7- Abu al-Hasan Abu Hasun Ali ibn Muhammad 1554-1554

1-Abou yahya 1244-1258
2-Youssef 1258-1286
3-Yacoub 1286-1307
4-Abou Rabia 1307-1308
5-Uthman 1308-1331
6-Abou Al hassan 1331-1351
7-Abou Inan 1351-1358
8-Sons and grandsons of Abou Inan 1358-1396
9-AbdAllah 1396-1398

The Merinides
The Beni Marin were a tribe of Nomadic Zenata Berbers who came from an area between Taza and Algeria.
The policy of the Merinides in running the affairs of Morocco was enlightened they the first Moroccans to introduce a simple form of civil service. They were also the first to introduce the Mellah, or Jewish quarters in all major tows, so that the Jewish could live secure and unmolested. The Merinides were also the first to introduce the concept of Medersa(originated from Baghdad and later on introduced to Egypt). Fez is liberally scattered with fine examples within easy walking distance of the Karawiyine. Sultan Abu Inan built the Bou Inania Medersa in Fez.

The Merinide Soltans surrounded themselves with scholars who could lecture not only about Koran but also about science and law , poetry and geography. The well-known traveller Ibn Batuta( 1304-78) was an honored member of the court of Abou Inan who gave him a secretary to write down stories of his travels as in the black Sea and Tambouktoo. Ibn Khaldoun, the 14 C historian and a Spanish Muslim spent many years as adviser and close associate of Merinide Sultans.

When the dynasty was feebled, Spain and Portugal were turning eyes towards Morocco . At that time, there was another ruler, Ibn Wattas, who came from Asilah to Fez. When he left Asilah, the Portugueuse invaded Asilah and took many family membersof Ibn Wattas and 5000 people as slaves, then Ibn Wattas signed a treaty with Portugal which allowed the portugueuse to invade Asilah, Tangier , Essaouira(Mogador)Mazagan (El Jadida) Zemmour, Safi and Agadir and Ceuta.
So, for a time, almost the entire west coast of Morocco became a seperate Portugueuse colony.
http://www.andalous.com/History.asp

1-Abd al-Mu'min 1145-1163
2-Abu Ya'qub Yusuf I 1163-1184
3-Abu Yusuf Ya'qub al-Mansur 1184-1199
4-Muhammad an-Nasir 1199-1213
5-Abu Ya'qub Yusuf II 1213-1224
6-Abd al-Wahid I 1224
7-Abdallah 1224-1227
8-Yahya 1227-1235
9-Idris I 1227-1232
10-Abdul-Wahid II 1232-1242
11-Ali 1242-1248
12-Umar 1248-1266
13-Idris II 1266-1269

ALMOHADES (properly Muwahhadis, i.e. "Unitarians," the name being corrupted through the Spanish), a Mahommedan religious power which founded the fifth Moorish dynasty in the 12th century, and conquered all northern Africa as far as Egypt, together with Moslem Spain. It originated with Mahommed ibn Tumart, a member of the Masmuda, a Berber tribe of the Atlas. Ibn Tumart was the son of a lamplighter in a mosque and had been noted for his piety from his youth; he was small, ugly, and misshapen and lived the life of a devotee-beggar. As a youth he performed the pilgrimage to Mecca, whence he was expelled on account of his severe strictures on the laxity of others, and thence wandered to Bagdad, where he attached himself to the school of the orthodox doctor al Ashari. But he made a system of his own by combining the teaching of his master with parts of the doctrines of others, and with mysticism imbibed from the great teacher Ghazali.
His main principle was a rigid unitarianism which denied the independent existence of the attributes of God, as being incompatible with his unity, and therefore a polytheistic idea. Mahommed in fact represented a revolt against the anthropomorphism of commonplace Mahommedan orthodoxy, but he was a rigid predestinarian and a strict observer of the law. After his return to Morocco at the age of twenty-eight, he began preaching and agitating, heading riotous attacks on wine-shops and on other manifestations of laxity. He even went so far as to assault the sister of the Murabti (Almoravide) amir'Ali III., in the streets of Fez, because she was going about unveiled after the manner of Berber women. 'Ali, who was very deferential to any exhibition of piety, allowed him to escape unpunished.

Ibn Tumart, who had been driven from several other towns for exhibitions of reforming zeal, now took refuge among his own people, the Masmuda, in the Atlas. It is highly probable that his influence would not have outlived him, if he had not found a lieutenant in 'Abd-el-Mumin el Kumi, another Berber, from Algeria, who was undoubtedly a soldier and statesman of a high order. When Ibn Tumart died in 1128 at the monastery or ribat which he had founded in the Atlas at Tinmal, after suffering a severe defeat by the Murabtis, 'Abd-el-Mumin kept his death secret for two years, till his own influence was established. He then came forward as the lieutenant of the Mahdi Ibn Tumart. Between 1130 and his death in 1163, 'Abd-el-Mumin not only rooted out the Murabtis, but extended his power over all northern Africa as far as Egypt, becoming amir of Morocco in 1149. Mahommedan Spain followed the fate of Africa, and in 1170 the Muwahhadis transferred their capital to Seville, a step followed by the founding of the great mosque, now superseded by the cathedral, the tower of which they erected in 1184 to mark the accession of Ya'kub el Mansur. From the time of Yusef II., however, they governed their co-religionists in Spain and Central North Africa through lieutenants, their dominions outside Morocco being treated as provinces. When their amirs crossed the Straits it was to lead a jehad against the Christians and to return fo their capital, Marrakesh.

The Muwahhadi princes had a longer and a more distinguished career than the Murabtis or "Almoravides" (q.v..) Yusef II. or "Abu Ya'kub" (1163-1184), and Ya'kub I. or "El Mansur" (1184-1199), the successors of Abd-el-Mumin, were both able men. They were fanatical, and their tyranny drove numbers of their Jewish and Christian subjects to take refuge in the growing Christian states of Portugal, Castile and Aragon. But in the end they became less fanatical than the Murabtis, and Ya'kub el Mansur was a highly accomplished man, who wrote a good Arabic style and who protected the philosopher Averroes. His title of El Mansur, "The Victorious," was earned by the defeat he inflicted on Alphonso VIII. of Castile at Alarcos in 1195. But the Christian states in Spain were becoming too well organized to be overrun by the Mahommedans, and the Muwahhadis made no permanent advance against them. In 1212 Mahommed III., "En-Nasir" (1199-1214), the successor of El Mansur, was utterly defeated by the allied five Christian princes of Spain, Navarre and Portugal, at Las Navas de Tolosa in the Sierra Morena. All the Moorish dominions in Spain were lost in the next few years, partly by the Christian conquest of Andalusia, and partly by the revolt of the Mahommedans of Granada, who put themselves under the protection of the Christian kings and became their vassals.
http://historymedren.about.com/od/aentries/a/11_almohades.htm

Sultans of The Almoravides dynasty:
1-Yusuf ibn Tashfin 1061-1106.
2-Ali ibn Yusuf 1106-1142.
3-Tashfin ibn Ali 1142-1146.
4-Ibrahim ibn Tashfin 1146.
5-Ishaq ibn Ali 1146-1147.

Almoravids (ălmôr'əvĭdz) , Berber Muslim dynasty that ruled Morocco and Muslim Spain in the 11th and 12th cent. The Almoravids may have originated in what is now Mauritania. The real founder was Abd Allah ibn Yasin, who by military force converted a number of Saharan tribes to his own reformed religion and then advanced on Morocco. After his death (c.1059), Yusuf ibn Tashfin and his brother Abu Bakr came to power. Marrakech was founded in 1062 and was the center of a powerful empire. Called by the Moors in Spain to help stem Christian reconquest, Yusuf entered Andalusia and defeated (1086) Alfonso VI of Castile. He later subdued the local Muslim rulers and governed Muslim Spain and N Morocco (Abu Bakr ruling over S Morocco). The dynasty also pushed south, destroying the ancient state of Ghana. The Almoravids were rough and puritanical, contemptuous of the luxurious Muslim courts in Spain. Their rule was never entirely stable and in the 12th cent. was attacked by the Almohads, who finally (by 1174) won both Morocco and Muslim Spain.
http://www.answers.com/topic/almoravids

sultans of the Maghrawa dynasty :
1- Ziri ibn `Atia 988-1001.
2-moo. El M uaz 1001-1026.
3-Hammama 1026-1039.
4-Dunas 1039- 1060.
5- El Fatuh and `Ajisa 1060-1065.
6-El Moannasir 1065-1067.
7-Tamim 1067-1070.

The Magrawa were a Berber tribe in central and western Algeria.
History

The Magrawa, a tribe of Zanata Berbers, were one of the first Berber tribes to submit to Islam in the 7th century. They supported Uqba ibn Nafi in his campaign to the Atlantic in 683. They were Kharijites from the 8th century, and allied first with the Idrisids, and, from the 10th century, with the Umayyads of Córdoba. As a result they were caught up in the Umayyad-Fatimid conflict in Morocco. Although they won a victory over the allies of the Fatimids in 924, they soon became allied with them themselves. When they switched back to the side of Córdoba, they were driven out of central Morocco by the Zirids, who ruled on behalf of the Fatimids. In 980, however, they were able to drive the Miknasa out of Sijilmasa.

Under Ziri ibn Atiyya (to 1001) the Magrawa achieved supremacy in Fez under Umayyad suzerainty and expanded their territory at the expense of the Banu Ifran. A revolt against the Umayyads was put down by Al-Mansur, although the Magrawa were able to regain power in Fez. Under the succeeding rulers al-Muizz (1001-1026), Hamman (1026-1039) and Dunas (1039) they consolidated their rule in northern and central Morocco. However, internal power struggles after 1060 enabled the Almoravids to conquer them in 1070 and put an end to their rule.
http://www.answers.com/topic/maghrawa

Sultans of The Idrissides dynasty:
1-Idris I788-791.
2-Idris II791-828.
3-Muhammad ibn Idris 828-836.
4-Ali ibn Idris 836-848.
5-Yahya I 848-864.
6-Yahya I 864-866.
7-Ali II 866-880.
8-Yahya III 880-904.
9-Yahya IV 904-922.
10- Al-Hajjâm al-Hasan ben Muhammad ben al-Qâsim 922-925.
11-Hassan I. al-Hajam 925-927.
12-Fatimid overlordship 927-937
13-Al Qasim Gannum 937-948.
14-Abu l-Aish Ahmad 948-954.
15-Hassan II 954-974(not Hassan II, born 1929).

The founder of the dynasty was Idris ibn Abdallah (788-791), who traced his ancestry back to Ali ibn Abi Talib and Fatima. As a Shiite he was persecuted by the Abbasids and fled to the Maghreb in 786, where he was taken in by the Berbers. Since the Maysara uprising against Arab rule (739-742), the authority of the Caliphate in North Africa had been compromised; the new kingdom of Idris I represented the first autonomous Islamic state in Morocco.

His son Idris II (791-828) developed the area of Fez, already colonised by his father, as a royal residence and capital. Through the settlement of refugees from Kairouan and Andalusia the city quickly became the focus for the Islamification and Arabisation of North Africa: compare the rise of Islam in Algeria.

The realm was also extended through campaigns into the high Atlas Mountains and against Tlemcen, with the result that the Idrisid state became the most significant power in Morocco, ahead of the principalites of the Bargawata, the Salihids, the Miknasa and the Maghrawa of Sijilmasa.

Under Muhammad (828-836) the kingdom was divided amongst eight brothers, whereby several Idrisid statelets formed in northern Morocco. This led to intensified power struggles and the weakening of the Idrisids. Even when the realm was reunified under Yahya IV (904-921), it still lost significance through internal strife and attack from the Miknasa, who were Fatimid allies. After a defeat by the Miknasa in 905 the Idrisids were driven from Fez. Only with the support of the Caliphate of Cordoba could the dynasty subsequently hold out against the Fatimids and their allies. After 926 the Idrisids abandoned Fez for good and withdrew to the valleys of the Rif mountains.

The last Idrisid was deposed in 985, and they were succeeded in Morocco by the principality of the Maghrawa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idrisid

About king Année 1987 This documentary brush a table of the principal events which proceeded in this country of North Africa starting from the accession with the throne of the king Hassan II, in 1961, until green Walk in 1975. Images of war alternate with scenes of the country, working life and chocolate éclair of this country. In an exclusive interview granted in 1985, Hassan II delivers without fear the various feelings which animated it during all these years.

the documentary one : http://karimroyal.blogspirit.com/archive/2006/11/07/carnets-du-maroc-ii.html#comments

the exclusive interview of the king hasan 2 with palait royal of reduction with the chains (tv5 world) and it (rtm) in the emission fracaise lheure of truth and other interviews of the king hasan 2 At also the videos of SM the king mohamed 6 and the royal family of Morocco in the bank of the videos royals on the site (MOROCCO ROTAL) in Arabic .

on this bond : http://karimroyal.canalblog.com/archives/2006/01/01/2726889.html

Already posted in the Genealogy forum, but as well as a very detailed list of all known descendents of Sultan Abul Amlak Sidi Muhammad I (1589-1659) to the present day, there is a brief history of the Alouite dynasty:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom