The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2020, 12:01 PM
Courtier

Queen Louise (1889-1965)

There are so many great stories about her (it must run in the Mountbattens) that I had to share this newest one:

Her niece Lady Pamela has been doing a podcast with her daughter India. This episode was about "Aunt Alice" (Princess Andrew of Greece) but included this gem—
Lady P: "Aunt Louise was much bossier."
India: "Well, Aunt Louise was queen of Sweden. Queens are like that."
Lady P: "No, Aunt Louise was even bossier when she was Crown Princess."

Lady Pamela goes on to say she and her sister were visiting Sweden with their father while their mother was away working, and says "Louise took one look at us and said "Goodness, children. Does your mother take no interest in how you dress? You must come shopping with me at once — you haven't even got stockings.'"
(Edwina didn't. Her children were very boring to her, according to Lady Pamela.)

The impression I've always gotten of Louise is shy and quiet and intelligent and determined — which does not preclude bossy! (She also had that habit of swearing, so...)
https://indiahicks.libsyn.com/15-pri...-mother-in-law (about 39:30).

Old 09-26-2020, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Louise was known in the Royal palace as being both bossy and temperamental. She coupled this with being kind, serious and very humble. She was a mess of emotions like the rest of us. The only one who was bossier than Louise was old Lady Milford Haven and the staff at Sofiero palace used to watch in surprise at how their Crown Princess turned into a 10 year old as soon as her mother arrived for her annual summer visit.

Old 09-26-2020, 04:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Queen Louise was known in the Royal palace as being both bossy and temperamental. She coupled this with being kind, serious and very humble. She was a mess of emotions like the rest of us. The only one who was more bossier than Louise was old Lady Milford Haven and the staff at Sofiero palace used to watch in surprise at how their Crown Princess turned into a 10 year old as soon as her mother arrived for her annual summer visit.
Ah, Victoria, the great democrat — who used to remind her granddaughter she should curtsy to her. Louise got the faceted nature from somewhere. (I'm happy to hear her mom got to make an impression in Sweden, too. They probably both would have been wonderful to have coffee with. Perhaps separately. )

Pamela also says in this that their household used to revolve around her grandmother, so the siblings were less interested in each other (and I don't know if that's 100% true; the Battenberg/Mountbatten children all seemed very close — but I can definitely see Victoria taking up all the oxygen). It's probably not too much of a shock Louise got bossier when she wasn't living with her mother anymore — and turned back into a kid when she happened by!

Was Louise bossy with Gustaf Adolf, as well?
Old 09-26-2020, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for that Prinsara about Queen Louise. I only know a little about her. She seems a very interesting character and I would like to get to know her better.

JR, I remenber as a child in the 1960's the lengths my dear Mother would go to - to please when her mother came for a short visit. House spotless, full makeup, wearing her best dress, I had to be clean, tidy and quiet. I was allowed to say hello then told to leave the adults alone to talk. When I really wanted to listen to them.
For the life of me now I don't remember lots of grandmotherly kisses and hugs. Not at all.
It was like the Queen was coming to visit and everyone was on their best behaviour.

Maybe these behaviours are a sign of those times. Complete deference towards your elders.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:18 PM
Courtier

There are a surprising bunch of "Louise stories" for someone who is very much under the radar and in the background in English. There is certainly much more in Swedish that I know nothing about, and sadly the interest to professionally or even amateurly translate isn't really there. But she's not a complete mystery; you just have to look a bit more closely.

Favorite Louise story — Actually, before her father died he'd apparently said "The only one who would suit Louise is Gustaf" (and vice-versa). Which was sweet. And correct. But this was at least a couple of years later; she was chaperoning her nieces (Alice's girls) in the London season, and in the meantime Gustaf Adolf was in town and hanging around with her and her mother...
Approx. quoth Louise: "It occurred to me that he was probably looking for a suitable person to marry. Suddenly it occurred to me that I was a suitable person...!"

So, basically, best reaction EVER to "prince might want to marry you", is (in words WWI vet Louise undoubtedly kept around): "Oh, sh—!"
Old 09-28-2020, 03:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Louise at the opening of the Swedish Parliament on January 11, 1962
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/558630549
Old Today, 02:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

About queen Louise at the website of the Royal Palaces
Queen Louise - Kungliga slotten

Tags
gustaf vi adolf, mountbatten, queen consort, queen louise, swedish queen