The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2021, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I am happy to have start a thread concerning Queen Louise. We know more of her now, She deserves it. Thanks to JR76.
I agree and Queen Louise is a very interesting royal lady.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
It's not that it isn't beautiful, but when you look like Queen Victoria in the late 20th century, it's not going to be taken as anything other than an anachronism, especially in the middle of a major government reform.
The new court dress looks more old-fashioned to my 21st century eyes than the traditional court dress, but late 20th century Swedes probably saw it differently.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The new court dress looks more old-fashioned to my 21st century eyes than the traditional court dress, but late 20th century Swedes probably saw it differently.
The new Swedish court dress were created in the early 1980ies, and at a time when sleeves were large and pouffy, so the large sleeves were high fashion at the time (and I think it's time to update those sleeves). For the dress part, each wearer has the opportunity to chose the cut, and the neckline they prefer, the same as it was with the old court dress, the fashion of the day decided the look of the dress, the only thing the different dresses had in common were the sleeves.
As for princess Sibylla, and her daughters' in the same cut of the dress, my guess is that was Sibylla who wanted the daughters' wear the same kind of dress, the Haga princesses were often dressed in identically during their childhood and teenage years in public.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I am happy to have start a thread concerning Queen Louise. We know more of her now, She deserves it. Thanks to JR76.
Which is why I started it.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
The new Swedish court dress were created in the early 1980ies, and at a time when sleeves were large and pouffy, so the large sleeves were high fashion at the time (and I think it's time to update those sleeves). For the dress part, each wearer has the opportunity to chose the cut, and the neckline they prefer, the same as it was with the old court dress, the fashion of the day decided the look of the dress, the only thing the different dresses had in common were the sleeves.
As for princess Sibylla, and her daughters' in the same cut of the dress, my guess is that was Sibylla who wanted the daughters' wear the same kind of dress, the Haga princesses were often dressed in identically during their childhood and teenage years in public.
The Court dress of old was really two similar, but different costumes. The first variety which I've called the State robes were worn by the royal ladies to the Ceremonial Opening of Parliament in January each year and apparently at the Court cour until 1952 (I think so, but haven't been able to find much information on the subject of the cour). While the cut of the dress itself varied during the 19th century to adapt to different fashions the look became set by the later decades of the century and remained largely unchanged until 1974. It was for instance Queen Fredrika who added the arms and long train modelled on the court dress of St Petersburg after spending time there with her sister Empress Louise. The black and white sleeves have managed to survive for almost 230 years and I'm certain that they'll be there for as long we have a court. That the dress stopped being subjected to the whims of fashion was mostly because of an eventual sense of tradition, but also because of economics. They weren't worn frequently and were very expensive to make. The Haga princesses inherited theirs from older relatives. Princess Christina for instance inherited her dress from Princess Ingeborg.
The dress worn by the ladies of the court and the wives of the members of government was the blue print for today's court dress. Much simpler than the state robes it's style was changed with the fashions, but were always black, had the characteristic arms and a train. The ladies of the court lined the decolletage with lace, but as can be seen during at least the 60s and 70s many wives of the members of government and others chose not to. It was quite common for ladies to borrow dresses from each other, rent a whole dress or even just rent the sleeves and a train and have them attached for the day to a black gown they owned.
This variety was also worn by the wives of foreign diplomats introduced at the court during the cour until the 1920s and by young ladies introduced at the court during the cour up until 1952. After that the requirement to wear a special dress was abolished. The cour itself was abolished by Queen Louise in 1962 and replaced with "democratic lunches for professional women".
The court dress worn by the ladies of the court today is both modelled on the simpler varieties worn during the 60s and 70s, but also on the empire style worn during the early 19th century and yes, it does have a bit of an 80s air too, doesn't it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Which is why I started it.
I'm glad that you did. I find her a very fascinating character that's sadly quite forgotten today.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

To answer my earlier question, Louise's WWI service was with the Red Cross and not the military, so even though she was overseas in France and presumably pretty close to the front lines, she was still a civilian volunteer, and likely wouldn't have counted as a military vet.

Still pretty unusual for a young lady of gentle birth, even a military brat like herself (although I think a handful of aristocratic ladies ended up doing all sorts of previously-unimaginable valiant things for the war)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I'm glad that you did. I find her a very fascinating character that's sadly quite forgotten today.
Honestly, where is the "Mountbatten" miniseries about Louise and her parents and her siblings? They were all a bunch of well-connected, enthralling overachievers. If the right person did it I'm sure it would be more enjoyable than The Crown.

But I feel as though it's something that happens when female consorts predecease their husbands. I think Maud of Norway was absolutely fascinating but I'd say she's about as known as Louise. Märtha and Margareta are just getting some recognition with Atlantic Crossing and the new exhibition... Apparently it's a question of timing.

Why is it she got to be Louise and not "Lovisa", anyway?
Old 12-09-2021, 07:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Beautiful picture of Queen Louise as a girl with her big sister Alice. https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/s...ce-and-Denmark
(Almost certainly before Alice got married.). She has pretty much the same face she always did!
Old 12-14-2021, 07:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Philip and his aunt. Not too many state visits have this built-in protocol level of cute.
Louise was really tiny. Or at least very slight. (You can see she's only about Elizabeth's height and about half her size.)

Tags
gustaf vi adolf, mountbatten, queen consort, queen louise, swedish queen