The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Furienna's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 1,417
Yes, I've heard those stories too. She became really eccentric by the years. But I also believe, that she was unhappy, so it was her way to let her some of her frustrations out.

I didn't know, that she was afraid of sea traveling, and that was why she never returned to France again. Thanks for letting me know that!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 3,010
She was a simple, practical, Frenchwoman, thrust onto the world stage and then into a foreign country, where she never felt at home. In fact, when he husband was elected to the Swedish throne, she came once and returned to France until he became king, as she was disliked by her adoptive mother-in-law and the court and, so, she returned as Queen rather than as Crown Princess. She was a devoted wife and mother, although, she kept her distance from Sweden.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-08-2010, 03:58 AM
Soli Deo Gloria's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: *, Sweden
Posts: 400
A picture of Desirée at her death bed
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...iaD%C3%B6d.jpg
__________________
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,149
I have recently been reading about Queen Desideria and I find her to be in interesting queen. Can someone please tell me why she went under the name of Countess of Gotland when giving parties in Paris?

I find her and Queen Kristina two of Europes most interesting queens. There must have been something in the Swedish water!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Thomasine's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
I have recently been reading about Queen Desideria and I find her to be in interesting queen. Can someone please tell me why she went under the name of Countess of Gotland when giving parties in Paris?

I find her and Queen Kristina two of Europes most interesting queens. There must have been something in the Swedish water!
The title Countess of Gotland was her official alias when she wished to remain incognito. She carried a passport signed by the Swedish King Carl XIII when she went back to France after her short visit to Sweden 1810-11.

In Paris she used her official title Crown Princess later Queen of Sweden. The official explanation for her taking residency in Paris were health reasons.
__________________
Dux femina facti - Behind the deed was a woman
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-13-2014, 08:11 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,601
When Desiree Bernadotte became a mother in 1799 she asked Napoleon to be godfather. Napoleon asked that the boy be called Oscar after Ossian. Ossian was the hero of the Macpherson epic. Desiree named her son Oscar.
Napoleon I penned a romance novel titled Clisson et Eugenie.
Clisson et Eugenie may be based on Napoleon's relationship with Eugenie Desiree Clary.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasine View Post
The title Countess of Gotland was her official alias when she wished to remain incognito. She carried a passport signed by the Swedish King Carl XIII when she went back to France after her short visit to Sweden 1810-11.

In Paris she used her official title Crown Princess later Queen of Sweden. The official explanation for her taking residency in Paris were health reasons.
She hated Sweden. The Vasa Queen and Princess Albertine didn't like her much either. She wanted her husband to succeed at this new "job". She returned to France and did not return until she was queen. Remember, she was Eugenie Desiree Clary, daughter of a silk merchant, in Marsailles. She was a republican at heart. She was engaged to Napoleon at one time, but he moved on to richer waters, to the then Countess De Beauharnais, Josephine. Desiree married Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, who founded the present dynasty. He, too, was a republican. Funny where life takes you.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Furienna's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 1,417
Desirée never liked Sweden, no. She appearantly hated the cold winters and called the country "the land of the wolves". Desirée remained French in heart and never learned how to speak Swedish (then again, her husband hardly did either). You might be right also about her actually being a Republican, having grown up during the time of the French revolution. And even though she was allowed to remain a Catholic (her husband and her son had to convert to the Lutheran faith), she doesn't seem to have been as religious as her daughter-in-law Josephine, another queen who had been allowed to keep her Catholic faith.

I think I even read somewhere that Jean Baptiste Bernadotte had a tatoo saying "down with all kings"!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-16-2016, 10:40 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 31,671
She was buried on 11th January 1861.
https://twitter.com/Riddarholmskyrk/...72639716577282
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-23-2016, 02:31 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 31,671
Portrait by Fredrik Westin
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/18.6...%5B1%5D_NY.jpg

From the court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCNnncoP...-by=kungahuset
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-13-2018, 08:37 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,601
Queen Desideria returned to Sweden to attend her son's wedding. She hoped to return to France once the ceremony was over. She was given a coronation ceremony.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 31,671
Popular historian Herman Lindqvist at his chronicle in Svensk Damtidning about queen Desideria

Some people are distinctive evening people, others are early risers. The same goes for royal families. King Carl XVI Gustaf is rarely really awake before ten o'clock in the morning, but all the better after ten o'clock in the evening.
The very first in the House of Bernadotte, Karl XIV Johan and Queen Désirée, were not good morning persons. Over the years, the king and queen met more and less frequently. They did not eat meals together. The Queen's morning rises became ever later in the day and gradually approached the time of the afternoon tea.
Her whole day was postponed so that she used to go on her morning ride with horse and carriage at the dinner time in the evening. She ate the supper after midnight and then she could sit up all night and have a good time with her ladies-in-waiting. The ladies, however, didn't always have a nice time.
They tried to stay awake in different ways, sometimes simply by knitting each other with the needles in the needlework. No one could retire for the night until the Queen had done so. Queen Désirée wanted to walk in the garden in the summer night, but was afraid of the bats, so she let her ladies-in-waiting walk first wearing white dresses to attract the animals.
The Queen spent many summers at Rosersberg Palace in Uppland. There she sat with her ladies-in-waiting on the veranda and had a nice time the whole night. When the first peasants came at five to deal with today's chores, they could see the Queen of Sweden on the balcony and admire her for being such an early bird. They didn't know that she would only soon go to bed.
Herman Lindqvist_ _Désirée var en morgontrött drottning_ _ Svensk Damtidning
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 AM
Furienna's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Popular historian Herman Lindqvist at his chronicle in Svensk Damtidning about queen Desideria

Some people are distinctive evening people, others are early risers. The same goes for royal families. King Carl XVI Gustaf is rarely really awake before ten o'clock in the morning, but all the better after ten o'clock in the evening.
The very first in the House of Bernadotte, Karl XIV Johan and Queen Désirée, were not good morning persons. Over the years, the king and queen met more and less frequently. They did not eat meals together. The Queen's morning rises became ever later in the day and gradually approached the time of the afternoon tea.
Her whole day was postponed so that she used to go on her morning ride with horse and carriage at the dinner time in the evening. She ate the supper after midnight and then she could sit up all night and have a good time with her ladies-in-waiting. The ladies, however, didn't always have a nice time.
They tried to stay awake in different ways, sometimes simply by knitting each other with the needles in the needlework. No one could retire for the night until the Queen had done so. Queen Désirée wanted to walk in the garden in the summer night, but was afraid of the bats, so she let her ladies-in-waiting walk first wearing white dresses to attract the animals.
The Queen spent many summers at Rosersberg Palace in Uppland. There she sat with her ladies-in-waiting on the veranda and had a nice time the whole night. When the first peasants came at five to deal with today's chores, they could see the Queen of Sweden on the balcony and admire her for being such an early bird. They didn't know that she would only soon go to bed.
Herman Lindqvist_ _Désirée var en morgontrött drottning_ _ Svensk Damtidning
Poor ladies-in-waiting! Then again, I don't believe that Queen Desideria was too happy with her situation either.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-21-2019, 01:03 AM
theroyalfly's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: N/A, Australia
Posts: 1,423
Today in Royal History is the 190th Anniversary of Queen Desideria's Coronation as Queen Consort of Sweden and Norway.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-28-2020, 08:25 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 31,671
At the website of the Royal Palaces

Desideria – queen from a distance
Desideria, Sweden's new queen, had always been at the very centre of world events. She now found life at the Swedish court dull. However, at Rosersberg Palace she was able to relax during the summer.
Desideria – queen from a distance - Kungliga slotten
Desideria - drottning på distans - Kungliga slotten
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-28-2020, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
I have recently been reading about Queen Desideria and I find her to be in interesting queen. Can someone please tell me why she went under the name of Countess of Gotland when giving parties in Paris?

I find her and Queen Kristina two of Europes most interesting queens. There must have been something in the Swedish water!

In the water? Something very unpleasant then, because both Kristina and Desirée went into exile to the South...(where in summer all city water were notorious for their odeur..)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-09-2021, 07:50 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,601
The following video has nice pictures of Queen Desiree. Also there are some pictures from the movie Desiree.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
desideria, désirée, queen desideria, queen désirée, sweden and norway, swedish royal history


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relationship between King Juan Carlos and Queen Elizabeth Conde Valleverde King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia 20 08-23-2020 01:08 PM
Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus's State Visit to Indonesia: August 1995 ropura Princess Beatrix 21 07-15-2009 11:20 AM
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia Picture Thread, Part 1 (November 2002 - August 2006) Jacqueline King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia 200 08-02-2006 10:53 AM
Queen Alia's children after her death maryshawn Royal House of Jordan 50 08-25-2005 08:59 PM
Past Problems between Maxima & the Queen? Angel S. Princess Beatrix 10 09-14-2004 12:35 PM




Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asian baby names baptism british british royal family british royals camilla camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels customs duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family tree fashion and style genetics george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan highgrove history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg monarchist movements monarchists mongolia pless politics prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry royalty of taiwan speech st edward suthida swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×