The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Sibylla (1908-1972) - King Carl XVI Gustaf's Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
given how misogynistic the king is, i dont think his mother had much influence on him...
and as for marrying a commoner, he hardly had a choice. Only option was anne, and people were wise enough not to push it, as it would be a marriage in hell, a 1000 times worse than c&d..

Had he chosen to stick to the old rules concerning marriage there was countless ladies with the right descent to choose from at the time. Besides Anne there was princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco and not to speak of many from the deposed or mediatised families (or as I saw them called somewhere "the breeding farms of Germany"). Had CXVIG wanted to there would've been many families to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I've known for a long time that Sibylla had a much more up-to-date outlook on the monarchy than her father-in-law the King but I'm actually quite pleased that she, as I discovered a few weeks ago, supported equal rights of succession for men and women and also as seen in the headline of the last magazine would prefer her son to marry a Swede (which basically means a commoner)

I can't help imagining how different the Swedish Royal Family would look like total if Princess Anne had married King Carl XVI Gustaf as Lord Mountbatten wanted.

Similarly, I also can't help thinking how a marriage between Princess Madeleine and Prince William would have looked like.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Had he chosen to stick to the old rules concerning marriage there was countless ladies with the right descent to choose from at the time. Besides Anne there was princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco and not to speak of many from the deposed or mediatised families (or as I saw them called somewhere "the breeding farms of Germany"). Had CXVIG wanted to there would've been many families to choose from.
Princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg and Monaco would be of course Catholic and, hence, not a good match for a Protestant king at a time when the Church of Sweden was still an established religion. Of course, there would be always the "breeding farms of Germany" to choose from, but the rumor was that both the British and Swedish royal courts were very much interested in matching the King with Princess Anne.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Sibylla (1908-1972) - King Carl XVI Gustaf's Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg and Monaco would be of course Catholic and, hence, not a good match for a Protestant king at a time when the Church of Sweden was still an established religion. Of course, there would be always the "breeding farms of Germany" to choose from, but the rumor was that both the British and Swedish royal courts were very much interested in matching the King with Princess Anne.

Well if Sweden managed to have to catholic queens in the 19th century I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem in the 20th-21th especially since a ban on a marriage between CG and a foreign lady just because of her religion would have no support at all by a very secular population.

Had no idea (but not surprised) that Lord Mountbatten tried to get Anne and CG together. Of the monarchs of her generation I've always imagined Harald of Norway would've suited Anne best. I did read somewhere that Astrid of Belgium was seen as a suitable match by the two families but that both A and CG would have nothing of it.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 PM
Courtier

there is no way anne could have lived that life.. Enduring a drunk philandering partying chauvunist husband courting every sort of shady persons..and still pasting a grin from ear to ear and giving a perfect picture in the name of duty..no thanks.. It may be worth a shot for a noble/lesser royal but not for an equally headstrong olympian daughter of the british monarch. I am so glad she didnt get stuck in this. Lucky for sweden and its monarchy, they found a much better person for that job
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
there is no way anne could have lived that life.. Enduring a drunk philandering partying chauvunist husband courting every sort of shady persons..and still pasting a grin from ear to ear and giving a perfect picture in the name of duty..no thanks.. It may be worth a shot for a noble/lesser royal but not for an equally headstrong olympian daughter of the british monarch. I am so glad she didnt get stuck in this. Lucky for sweden and its monarchy, they found a much better person for that job
If the gossip is true, it was Carl Gustaf who turned Anne down, and not the other way around.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If the gossip is true, it was Carl Gustaf who turned Anne down, and not the other way around.

Anne would've been a handful to much for CG...

Old 07-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
that is just an assumption. Anyway hen he was way smart enuf to choose the right woman. Pity charles didnt learn much from him..
Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Let's move on. No need to insult the king of Sweden or to rehash old tabloid phantasies about the Princess Royal and the King in a thread that is dedicated to Princess Sibylla of Sweden. Further replies to these topics will be deleted.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
also as seen in the headline of the last magazine would prefer her son to marry a Swede (which basically means a commoner)
Princess Sibylla didn't have anything against a commoner daugher-in-law, but if my memory isn't wrong, the reason why she hoped for a Swedish DIL was that she wouldn't want her son to marry a German, as she feared a German woman/princess would be as badly received in Sweden as she had been during her years here.

Interestingly enough, if the Wikipedia article about her late husband is true, the couple spoke English and not German when together, as Sibylla's Swedish wasn't very good. It makes sense that English was their common language as both were grandchildren of queen Victoria, as well as English was the daily language of queen Louise and king Gustaf VI Adolf. Sibylla and Lilian Craig also had English as a common language, I remember having read somewhere (possibly in Lilian's autobiography) that Sibylla and Lilian became friends, and Lilian was the godmother of Hélčne Silfverschöld.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Princess Sibylla didn't have anything against a commoner daugher-in-law, but if my memory isn't wrong, the reason why she hoped for a Swedish DIL was that she wouldn't want her son to marry a German, as she feared a German woman/princess would be as badly received in Sweden as she had been during her years here.
That might be true, but I wonder if Sibylla hadn't also understood that it was time for the royals to start marrying outside their own circle. Five princes had been thrown out of the succession because of their marriages, and it was starting to look silly to expect every prince to only marry a princess. And we also know now that out of Sibylla's five own children, only Birgitta made an equal match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude
Interestingly enough, if the Wikipedia article about her late husband is true, the couple spoke English and not German when together, as Sibylla's Swedish wasn't very good. It makes sense that English was their common language as both were grandchildren of queen Victoria, as well as English was the daily language of queen Louise and king Gustaf VI Adolf. Sibylla and Lilian Craig also had English as a common language, I remember having read somewhere (possibly in Lilian's autobiography) that Sibylla and Lilian became friends, and Lilian was the godmother of Hélčne Silfverschöld.
Correction: GA and Sibylla were both great grandchildren of Queen Victoria. But yes, we can sure assume that they had both had strong British influences during their childhoods. His mother and her father had both come from the UK, and I know that GA and his siblings also had British nannies when they were children.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Princess Sibylla's sister Caroline certainly led an interesting life that must have raised many a royal eyebrow!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I have no doubt that Sibyllas support for giving women succession rights was influenced both by the change of times and what must've been a horrendous amount of pressure on her and her husband to produce a male heir. It might be rumours but I've read that she cried of relief when she discovered shed finally given birth to a boy.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:59 PM
Courtier

I wonder why the Swedes and Danes were so conservative while Dutch were very progressive for those times..with British in the centre.. Any social/political reasons?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Christmas cards signed by princess Sibylla are at an auction at Bukowskis Market.
God jul…i september _ Bakom Kulisserna
Old 09-22-2015, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I wonder which of her grandchildren are in this photo from 1967 which is my favourite.

http://bakomkulisserna.svenskdam.se/...9/julkort2.jpg
Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, that's a lovely picture of a very happy granny! If that pic was taken in summer 1967, then Charles Edward Ambler, born 14.07.1966, and Kristina-Louisa, baroness Silfverschiold, born 29.09.1966, would fit in age. The baby in blue seems the larger of the two, which would fit as Charles is a bit older than Kristina.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Gentry

I have not seen this thread before or I would have contributed before.

I have actually met Princess Sibylla the year before she passed away. You could clearly see that she was unwell but at the time there had been no official announcement that she was ill. She was a very nice lady, polite and friendly but she gave the impression of suffering from shyness and I don't blame her with the reception she had received when arriving in Sweden.

I was a young and fairly new airline stewardess when assigned task of taking special care of the Princess.

My mother met her shortly after her arrival in Sweden in the 30s. My mother was a student at Marthaskolan, an exclusive and well known fashion and sewing academy in Stockholm and in her third year she was assigned to make a day dress for the Princess as a graduation task. Mum really liked her and always defended her when other people criticized her. Mum also made an evening gown for Crownprincess (later Queen) Louise, also a great lady.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasine View Post
I have not seen this thread before or I would have contributed before.

I have actually met Princess Sibylla the year before she passed away. You could clearly see that she was unwell but at the time there had been no official announcement that she was ill. She was a very nice lady, polite and friendly but she gave the impression of suffering from shyness and I don't blame her with the reception she had received when arriving in Sweden.

I was a young and fairly new airline stewardess when assigned task of taking special care of the Princess.

My mother met her shortly after her arrival in Sweden in the 30s. My mother was a student at Marthaskolan, an exclusive and well known fashion and sewing academy in Stockholm and in her third year she was assigned to make a day dress for the Princess as a graduation task. Mum really liked her and always defended her when other people criticized her. Mum also made an evening gown for Crownprincess (later Queen) Louise, also a great lady.
Fascinating! Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Gentry

Thank you Sarahbellar!