Prince Gustaf Adolf (1906-1947) - King Carl XVI Gustaf's Father

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Left: Crown Princess Margareth, Prince Gustaf Adolf, Princess Ingrid and Prince Sigvard (sitting on the table)

Attachments

• Kronprinsessan_med_Prinsarna_Gustaf_Adolf_Sigvard_Bertil_samt_Prinsessan_Ingrid.jpg
    Kronprinsessan_med_Prinsarna_Gustaf_Adolf_Sigvard_Bertil_samt_Prinsessan_Ingrid.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 854
From Left: Prince Bertil, Princess Ingrid, Prince Sigvard and Prince Gustaf Adolf.

Attachments

• Tre_prinsar_och_en_prinsessa.jpg
    Tre_prinsar_och_en_prinsessa.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 324
From Left: Prince Bertil, Prince Sigvard, Princess Ingrid and Prince Gustaf Adolf.

Attachments

• Prinsarna_Gustaf_Adolf_Sigvard_Bertil_och_Prinssesan_Ingrid___Devin_Made.jpg
    Prinsarna_Gustaf_Adolf_Sigvard_Bertil_och_Prinssesan_Ingrid___Devin_Made.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 817
From Left: Prince Bertil, Princess Ingrid, Prince Sigvard and Prince Gustaf Adolf.

Attachments

• Prinsarna_Gustaf_Adolf_Sigvard_Bertil___Prinsessan_Ingrid.jpg
    Prinsarna_Gustaf_Adolf_Sigvard_Bertil___Prinsessan_Ingrid.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 700
The Crown Prince family, From Left: Prince Sigvard, Crown Princess Margareth, Princess Ingrid, Prince Gustaf Adolf, Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf and Prince Bertil.

Attachments

• V_rt_kronprinspar_med_prinsar_och_prinsessan_1916___Devimade.jpg
    V_rt_kronprinspar_med_prinsar_och_prinsessan_1916___Devimade.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 509
The Crown Prince family, the same order as the last photo.

Attachments

• Kronprins_Gustaf_Adolf_med_familjen_1916.jpg
    Kronprins_Gustaf_Adolf_med_familjen_1916.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 510
Folks, we have waited too long for some photos of "Västerbotten"
(which was one of Prince Gustaf Adolf's nicknames).

Let's start with a photo from 1928 (It was the same year of Gustaf V 70th birthday).
From left: The Crown prince, Prince Carl, King Gustaf V, Prince Lennart and Prince Gustaf Adolf on horseback.

Attachments

• The_Crown_Prince__King__Prince_Gustaf_Adolf_on_on_horseback_1928.jpg
    The_Crown_Prince__King__Prince_Gustaf_Adolf_on_on_horseback_1928.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,519
This picture is one of my favourites, It's showing the 21-year old prince as an officer at Svea Livgarde and at Livregementets Dragoner, The same year he got his officer-epoulettes (Epålleter in Swedish please correct my english translation) which can be sed on this picture.

Attachments

• PRINS_GUSTAF_ADOLF_1932___Devin.jpg
    PRINS_GUSTAF_ADOLF_1932___Devin.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 519
Prince Gustaf Adolf in 1945

Attachments

• Prince_Gustaf_Adolf_1945___Devin.jpg
    Prince_Gustaf_Adolf_1945___Devin.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 435
This my friends is the same picture but in colour by me that's why it has a watermark, enjoy!

Attachments

• Prince_Gustaf_Adolf_1945_in_colour__made_by_Devin2.jpg
    Prince_Gustaf_Adolf_1945_in_colour__made_by_Devin2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 381
Devin:
Thank you for starting this thread. It has gone a long way to provide the knowledge about this individual.

And thank you, Emil, Julia, Josefine and Kelly for filling in some more gaps.

A few questions come to mind, if you don't mind B) : to close out the remaining gaps???
1.) Isn't the thread supposed to be titled, "... 1906 - 1947"?

2.) I see the Duke was in the scouting movement. Is this a family tradition, seeing how H.M. is chief scout (worldwide)?

3.) I have tried to find information on the internet, about what the circumstances were with the Duke's tragic accident. Any idea how it happened? It was foggy, wasn't it? By the way, I thought the accident happened on the way back to Sweden???

4.) How come his marriage to Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha occurred in Germany? I mean, he was the first son of the first prince to the senior prince up to the king .. one would have thought that marriage would occur in Sweden?????

5.) Posting of Dec 30th, 2002 - 2:32 pm. The Mr. Hammarskjold referred to, what is the relationship to Dag H of the UN?

Thanks to everybody,
Haakon2

Oh feel sooo sorry for them, such a loving couple with such a nice family.

I've heared, cancers are mostly caused by mood. If a person is constantly sad in his/her inner-most feeling, then cancer would eventually emerge.

Originally posted by King Christian@Sep 27th, 2003 - 10:10 pm
Devin:
Thank you for starting this thread. It has gone a long way to provide the knowledge about this individual.

And thank you, Emil, Julia, Josefine and Kelly for filling in some more gaps.

A few questions come to mind, if you don't mind B) : to close out the remaining gaps???
1.) Isn't the thread supposed to be titled, "... 1906 - 1947"?

2.) I see the Duke was in the scouting movement. Is this a family tradition, seeing how H.M. is chief scout (worldwide)?

3.) I have tried to find information on the internet, about what the circumstances were with the Duke's tragic accident. Any idea how it happened? It was foggy, wasn't it? By the way, I thought the accident happened on the way back to Sweden???

4.) How come his marriage to Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha occurred in Germany? I mean, he was the first son of the first prince to the senior prince up to the king .. one would have thought that marriage would occur in Sweden?????

5.) Posting of Dec 30th, 2002 - 2:32 pm. The Mr. Hammarskjold referred to, what is the relationship to Dag H of the UN?

Thanks to everybody,
Haakon2
Thank you, I will answer your questions but I am afraid that I can't reply to all of them:

1. It is!

2. Yes it is a family tradition

3. As you know, Prince Gustaf was killed in an aeroplane accident near Copenhagen. He was returning from a visit to Princess (later Queen) Juliana and Prince Bernard of the Netherlands.
The aeroplane's rudder wasn't checked, it was locked, because of that, the plane flew straight up 90 degrees up in the sky and after about 45 seconds it fell down and the rest is history.

4. I can not answer that.

5. No answer by the moment, sorry!

A very young Prince Gustaf Adolf about 9-10 years old

Attachments

• PRINCE_GUSTAF_ADOLF_SWEDEN_PHOTOCARD.jpg
    PRINCE_GUSTAF_ADOLF_SWEDEN_PHOTOCARD.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,184
Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 29th, 2002 - 2:10 pm
I found these pictures for you

Thank you but that was totally unnecessary, because I wanted to post them in chronological order and I want to take care of that by my self please but thanks anyway!!

Now, can you remove your photos? Otherwise I can not continue.

pictures are gone.
Hey, can somebody rule a whole threat so rude, that he or she can command others to get pictures they have placed to be removed! :woot:
Aren't the threads there just for everybody to add text and pics freely?

Originally posted by Alexandra+Nov 9th, 2003 - 3:22 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandra @ Nov 9th, 2003 - 3:22 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Josefine@Dec 29th, 2002 - 2:10 pm
I found these pictures for you

Thank you but that was totally unnecessary, because I wanted to post them in chronological order and I want to take care of that by my self please but thanks anyway!!

Now, can you remove your photos? Otherwise I can not continue.

pictures are gone.
Hey, can somebody rule a whole threat so rude, that he or she can command others to get pictures they have placed to be removed! :woot:
Aren't the threads there just for everybody to add text and pics freely? [/b][/quote]
Well of course they are, but you have to understand me, I was trying to build up something. I was just in the middle of posting some of my pictures, suddenly a poster came and posted the pictures in the "wrong" order that day. That's why I got so upset. I started it, and yes, when someone is in middle of something, you don't want to be disturbed. I know that she tried to help, but I didn't need it at that particular moment. Later on, when, I had posted most of my photos, people attached their photos without me saying anything about it.

I'm sorry if anybody is offended, but I stand for what I said.

Originally posted by King Christian@Sep 27th, 2003 - 11:10 pm

That would be his father, Hjalmar Hammarskjöld who was prime minister of Sweden from 1914-1917.

i hope that these has not be posted before

Attachments

• 10658585_1.jpg
    10658585_1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 10658771_1.jpg
    10658771_1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 522
  • 10658718_1.jpg
    10658718_1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 456
kelly9480 said:
He died in 1947 in a plane crash in Denmark. She died in 1972 in Sweden. I don't know what she died of, but it wasn't a car crash.
Princess Sybilla died of cancer:(

Any pictures of Prince Gustav Adolf"s funeral? and burial place?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for these pictures. Carl Gustaf looks more like his mother than his father to me.

What a wonderful suprise to find this thread. I noticed that Princess Sibylla wore a long pearl necklace in a few of the pictures. When Silvia got engaged to our King she received a gift of a long pearl necklace from the King's sisters.Could it perhaps be the same necklace?

At the time of the very unfortunate airplane accident there were rumors that the beautiful young women (I believe she was a performer - singer?) onboard was not just another passenger.

1.Gustav Adolf looked like Cary Grant, didn't he?:rolleyes:
2.Don't you think that inbreeding and selective marriages in the Royal Houses got their highest point in the 1800-early 1900?, all heirs looked much alike, this generation has much more new blood but the recesive features (like the Borbon Nose) are still very prominent:rolleyes:

crisiñaki said:
1.Gustav Adolf looked like Cary Grant, didn't he?:rolleyes:
2.Don't you think that inbreeding and selective marriages in the Royal Houses got their highest point in the 1800-early 1900?, all heirs looked much alike, this generation has much more new blood but the recesive features (like the Borbon Nose) are still very prominent:rolleyes:

I may be wrong but I don't think the Swedish house married much between close relatives back then. I'm sure they were related somehow but Princess Margaretha and Carl Gustaf, his parents, weren't that closely related and Carl Adolf and Sybilla weren't either.

In Norway the Kings married first cousins two generations in a row (Haakon and Olav) , but King Harald, Olav's son looks pretty normal to me.

ysbel said:
I may be wrong but I don't think the Swedish house married much between close relatives back then. I'm sure they were related somehow but Princess Margaretha and Carl Gustaf, his parents, weren't that closely related and Carl Adolf and Sybilla weren't either.

In Norway the Kings married first cousins two generations in a row (Haakon and Olav) , but King Harald, Olav's son looks pretty normal to me.

Maybe I didn't make my point clear:rolleyes: , in some families (like the Borbon) inbreeding was the norm while the British Royal Family put a lot of their women (mostly) in the other European Kingdoms and the recesive Hannoverian genes show off in many princes and princesses :D

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Swedish royal family. Not to get the thread too offtrack from Carl Adolf, I was aware of inbreeding with the Hapbsburgs who preceded the Bourbons on the throne of Spain but not the Bourbons themselvs.

There's some resemblance between Carl Adolf and his British cousins but not too much. I think the most distinctive British genes came from the descendents of Queen Mary who was a contemporary of Carl's mother, Margareta but he doesn't have any of Queen Mary's genes.

Some physical traits are dominant and are going to appear whether there's inbreeding or not.

ysbel said:
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Swedish royal family. Not to get the thread too offtrack from Carl Adolf???, I was aware of inbreeding with the Hapbsburgs who preceded the Bourbons on the throne of Spain but not the Bourbons themselvs.

There's some resemblance between Carl Adolf and his British cousins but not too much. I think the most distinctive British genes came from the descendents of Queen Mary who was a contemporary of Carl's mother, Margareta but he doesn't have any of Queen Mary's genes.

Some physical traits are dominant and are going to appear whether there's inbreeding or not.

For example in the Borbons, King Juan Carlos' parents were first cousins and King Alfonso XII married his cousin Maria de las Mercedes de Orleans
Finishing this topic, I think it's time to go back on track with Gustav Adolf;) :D
The Swedish royal family really is one of the smallest ones, and at the early 70's the Bernadottes were just King Gustaf Adolf ,Crown Prince Carl Gustav (well Bertil and Carl-Johan were there but each one has its own issues to attend:rolleyes: )because the Haga sisters weren't into the throne:cool:
Now it's Lilian, Madeleine, CP, Silvia, Carl Gustav and Victoria, so it isn't very big like British or Belgium Families

ysbel said:

Gustav Adolf and Sybilla were closely related, second cousins, I think. GA's mother, Margaret, was first cousins with Sybilla's father, C[h]arl[es] Edward. Margaret's father, Arthur, and Charlie's father, Leopold, were brothers, the younger sons of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. So Gustav Adolf and his wife were about second cousins.

Back
Top Bottom