The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Serene Highness

Counts Sigvard (1907-2002) and Carl Johan (1916-2012) Bernadotte of Wisborg

As far as I know, there isn't a thread on him.

I believe Sigvard was one of the King's uncles who was a famous designer. I have read that he was rather bitter about losing his Royal title after marrying a commoner.

Does anyone know more about him? What kind of relationship did he have with the current King and his family? I understand that King Gustaf Adolf became quite distant with his sons who married commoners though I get the impression that he was rather kinder to his granddaughters.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I don't know much on this topic; btw, I can recall to have read a newspaper article some years ago, when Sigvard went to the European Court of Human Rights seeking for his former princely titles to be restored, because - he claimed - "I was born a Prince and I want to die a Prince"; he also claimed that titles are for a person like his name, and it's a tort to strip someone his name off.
His royal titles were stripped him off in 1934, when he married to a commoner; the article said it happened just one hour after the marriage was celebrated, and an official of the Royal Court impounded his passport and gave him a new one addressed to Mr. Sigvard Bernadotte.
Due to his marriages to commoners and claims for getting his titles back, he remained estranged from his family for decades, and - if I recall correctly - especially after his brother Bertil and his nephew the King married themselves to commoners, but didn't lose titles and throne.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Weren't there some issues with the Ruby tiara that Queen Silvia now wears? I believe it was owned by prince Sigvard, but he later sold it to the king. I believe there were some issues about it in the Swedish press but I do not recall what was the issue.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 AM
Serene Highness

Sigvard Bernadotte, 94; Former Swedish Prince - Los Angeles Times
Old 07-02-2014, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Playing cards made and signed by Sigvard Bernadotte are in auction at Stockholms Auktionsverk.
Sigvards spelkort Bakom Kulisserna
Auktion Sigvard Bernadotte Stockholms Auktionsverk Magasin 5 254939
Auktion Sigvard Bernadotte litografier Stockholms Auktionsverk Magasin 5 255445
Old 11-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Prince Sigvard of Sweden marries Fraulein Erika Patzek a in London,March 1934.

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...fficers-around
Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sigvard and Marianne Bernadotte with the king
http://www.vavawoom.com/karolina/wp-...31_507_350.jpg

Sigvard got the prince Eugen -medal from the king in 1997
http://wwwc.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/0105/14/kungen.jpg
Old 09-30-2017, 12:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Article about count Carl Johan at Svensk Damtidning
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 11-04-2017, 06:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Article about count Sigvard at Svensk Damtidning
Old 01-01-2019, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Count Carl Johan on his 90th birthday 31st October 2006
With his wife countess Gunnila

with his children Monica Bonde and Christian Bernadotte.

with his grandchildren Carl Johan, Ebba and Marianne Bonde and Christina, Richard and Philip Bernadotte

Count Carl Johan and countess Gunnila with count Bertil and countess Jill Bernadotte

Christian Bernadotte is the Chairman Of The Board at Swedish American Chamber of Commerce in Ohio
Christian Bernadotte - Chairman Of The Board - Swedish American Chamber of Commerce -- Ohio _ LinkedIn
Old 08-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Weren't there some issues with the Ruby tiara that Queen Silvia now wears? I believe it was owned by prince Sigvard, but he later sold it to the king. I believe there were some issues about it in the Swedish press but I do not recall what was the issue.
Well, I seem to remember that Sigvard claimed that the tiara was his inheritence from his mother.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Well, I seem to remember that Sigvard claimed that the tiara was his inheritence from his mother.
Which nhe wanted to sell and then it was bought back by his father. later the old King left it to his grandson who again sold it to the present King.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:08 AM
Serene Highness

When you read about Sigvard and Carl Johan and look at their stories from our 21rst century perspective, it is hard to get what the big deal was with them marrying non-royal women for love. But it was news to me that Sigvard was considered as a suitor to Juliana of the Netherlands, so I guess that his family had expected a lovely match there.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
When you read about Sigvard and Carl Johan and look at their stories from our 21rst century perspective, it is hard to get what the big deal was with them marrying non-royal women for love. But it was news to me that Sigvard was considered as a suitor to Juliana of the Netherlands, so I guess that his family had expected a lovely match there.
I don't think that they expected a love match, but hoped that Prince Sigvard liked Princess Juliana enough to marry her. There are also rumours that they tried to set up Prince Carl with Juliana, but that the two didn't hit it off at all. Matching up young people was still the norm back then in royal circles but no marriage was forced upon any Bernadotte during the twenties and thirties. Out of the five that made equal marriages all are said to have done so out of love.

Regarding the ruby tiara Prince Sigvard had been forced to sell the accompanying necklace after he married and then approached his father, then Crown Prince Gustav Adolf, who took it off his hands for a sum of money. Sigvard says that he thought that his father took it as the security on a loan, but that his father considered it a purchase. He later tried to buy it back, but had his request refused although the tiara was at his wife's disposal when she needed one. Sigvard was later shocked when his father willed it to his son Count Michael and was later even more upset when Michael sold the tiara to his cousin King Carl XVI Gustav.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I don't think that they expected a love match, but hoped that Prince Sigvard liked Princess Juliana enough to marry her. There are also rumours that they tried to set up Prince Carl with Juliana, but that the two didn't hit it off at all. Matching up young people was still the norm back then in royal circles but no marriage was forced upon any Bernadotte during the twenties and thirties. Out of the five that made equal marriages all are said to have done so out of love.
Well, I didn't say "love match". What I meant was "a lovely match for their families".

And I had no idea that Prince Carl Jr also was intended as a suitor for Juliana, but it makes sense.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

As far as I know, he was really rumored to marry Princess Juliana and was even rumored to marry Princess Maria Francesca of Savoy too.

The Royal Fly®️
Old 08-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm sure there were many royal suitors for the then Princess Juliana I'm not sure if a Swedish Prince had ever married into the House of Orange in the past?
Old 08-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I'm sure there were many royal suitors for the then Princess Juliana I'm not sure if a Swedish Prince had ever married into the House of Orange in the past?
King Karl XV of Sweden and Norway married Princess Louise of The Netherlands in 1850.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Another Orange/Bernadotte connection is that Queen Sofia was the maternal aunt of Queen Emma of The Netherlands through her sister Princess Helena of Waldeck-Pyrmont.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
King Karl XV of Sweden and Norway married Princess Louise of The Netherlands in 1850.
I had totally forgotten about Louise of the Netherlands