Queen Ena of Spain

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Impossible to see the tiaras the links refer to: no way to see the images

I think the pictures you want to show in these links are of great interest, but the thing is that i've been trying to watch them and i haven't been able to... could you manage to sort this out?
Thanks a lot

wymanda said:

I think Danjel had a problem with the copyright of the photographs, etc. and they all had to be taken away.

It's awful, it was a beautiful site!

what a pity that the photos can't be seen? Can't anybody do anything about it?
It would be nice to watch the photos... since that's part of the history of Spain and its royal family

Thank you magnik, these photos of the Queen Ena are marvellous.:flowers:

The last public political words that Queen Ena said were at the Christening of Prince Felipe, attended also by the then Prince Juan Carlos, don Juan (his father) and Franco. Queen Ena approached Franco, who at the time hadn´t nominate yet his successor, and told him: "General, I´m addressing to you as your Queen. Maybe this is the last time we see each other in this life. You have in front of you three eligible royal princes; choose one as the next King of Spain now. This is a petition by your Queen." Franco appointed Prince Juan Carlos as the next King of Spain the following year.

Thanks to Queen Ena that General Franco listened to her. While I was reading this post I was so amazed by how she spoke those words. Even if I didn't actually hear her say those words I'm pretty sure that she was respected by Spaniards. One question though, did her husband die first? I'm a follower of the Spanish RF but my knowledge of their history is not that good:)

I, too, do not know much about Spanish history. Was Queen Ena the grandmother of King Juan Carlos? What's the connection?

I, too, do not know much about Spanish history. Was Queen Ena the grandmother of King Juan Carlos? What's the connection?

Yes, she was his grandmother. Her son was his father, the Count of Barcelona. She was born Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenburg and one of the favorite granddaughters of Queen Victoria of England.

one question: the haemophilia died with her children or any of her grandkids had the disease or transmitted the disease to their own?

thanks a lot in advance :flowers:

one question: the haemophilia died with her children or any of her grandkids had the disease or transmitted the disease to their own?

thanks a lot in advance :flowers:
That's exactly what I'd like to know too! If it was inherited down the lines, does that mean the current members of the SRF are carriers of this horrible disease?:eek:

I don't think the actual SRF is a carrier, neither JC nor his father were haemophiliacs, there isn't a story of haemophilia in the GRF at least on the Queen's generation and I don't believe any of the SRF kids are haemophilic (we have seen them frolicking around, kicking each other, with scars and such) :flowers:

I'm merely curious, specially about Louis Alphonse of Borbon's line, I've heard rumours that his father Jaime and his brother Gonzalo had the disease :ermm:

A nice picture of Queen Ena with a couple of her children:

victoria-eugenia-familia.jpg

Free of copyrights.

:previous:I believe that's all of her children, not just a couple of them. She had six children: los Infantes Alfonso, Jaime, Juan and Gonzalo, and the Infantas Beatriz and Maria Cristina. ;)

I don´t Know because Ena had problems with Alfonso XIII. Because They didn´t get divorce.However, They lived separated.

I read somewhere that even if Alfonso XII said to his wife that he wouldn't care about she being an haemophilia carrier, when the first haemophilic boy was born, he wouldn't accept the fact and he became more and more cold with his wife. Of course, he had no right to feel that way, since he had said to her that haemophilia wouldn't matter for him, for he loved she beyond that fact...:bang:

Vanesa.

P.S: Did you notice how similar to her father Alfonso, Infanta Maria Cristina was??? :eek:

The Queen Victoria Eugenia was one of the greatest Queens in Spain, the people has not forget the Majesti she had and how she loves his family
The city of Santander has give as present to the Royal Family the palacio of La Magdalena in 1912, a wonderfull place to rest , Th Queen took a high intrest in the desing of the Palace, so as you can see resamble a British country state , mix with the traditional style of the Nodth of Spain, a private dock for the yachts, a Polo and tenis course and a wondefull forest and above all, the situation on a peninsula at the Santander Bay entrance make this palece the favorite on the Queen, a place that acording to the Queen she felt free to rest and all the family loves a lot.
We where very lucky about this Queen, as we are now with Sofia, both educated to serve the country and to represent the past and the history of a more than 1000 years old monarchi, we "hope" in the future the next generations will do it at leats in the same way
here you have links to see the Queens "home sweet home" in Santander
::::: El Palacio de La Magdalena :::::
Palacio de La Magdalena, Santander
Palacio de la Magdalena. Santander
Península y palacio de la Magdalena. Santander
Santander: playa y palacio de la Magdalena
Santander: playa del sardinero
Salón del Palacio de la Magdalena. Santander
Palacio de la Magdalena: sala de juntas. Santander
Peninsula de la Magdalena. Santander
Caballerizas de La Magdalena
El Ferry de Inglaterra y la Magdalena
http://www.matesco.unican.es/indice/localizacion/Santander.gif
All the best
Alberto

The Queen Victoria Eugenia was one of the greatest Queens in Spain, the people has not forget the Majesti she had and how she loves his family
The city of Santander has give as present to the Royal Family the palacio of La Magdalena in 1912, a wonderfull place to rest , Th Queen took a high intrest in the desing of the Palace, so as you can see resamble a British country state , mix with the traditional style of the Nodth of Spain, a private dock for the yachts, a Polo and tenis course and a wondefull forest and above all, the situation on a peninsula at the Santander Bay entrance make this palece the favorite on the Queen, a place that acording to the Queen she felt free to rest and all the family loves a lot.
We where very lucky about this Queen, as we are now with Sofia, both educated to serve the country and to represent the past and the history of a more than 1000 years old monarchi, we "hope" in the future the next generations will do it at leats in the same way
here you have links to see the Queens "home sweet home" in Santander
::::: El Palacio de La Magdalena :::::
Palacio de La Magdalena, Santander
Palacio de la Magdalena. Santander
PenÃ*nsula y palacio de la Magdalena. Santander
Santander: playa y palacio de la Magdalena
Santander: playa del sardinero
Salón del Palacio de la Magdalena. Santander
Palacio de la Magdalena: sala de juntas. Santander
Peninsula de la Magdalena. Santander
Caballerizas de La Magdalena
El Ferry de Inglaterra y la Magdalena
http://www.matesco.unican.es/indice/localizacion/Santander.gif
All the best
Alberto
What a beautiful place!

During those sad years of her marriage, Queen Victoria Eugenia had two confidents: Queen Mary of Britain, another extraordinary woman and Queen, with whom she exchanged numerous letters, and Duchess of Lécera, who apparently was in love with Queen Ena (Queen Ena never corresponded).
http://a OMG you must be joking alone first queen ena grand mother QV never throughout her life believe that such thing as lesbian:wub: exist so the duchess was actually was fantasy :ohmy:

I have to differ with the opinion of which the queen Ena, was very wanted by the Spanish.
The respect towards Ena grew more in the exile, that being a queen. Franc was not afraid to the fondness of the Spanish for Victoria Eugenia, but to the monarchic ones...
The Spanish nobility of those times, they did not understand well the wedding of the King Alfonso XIII with the small granddaughter of the queen Victoria. The own(proper) family of Alfonso, they was in opposition to this marriage, and correspondence exists between different members of royal(real) houses, who demonstrate it.
The grandsons "Battenberg" of the queen Victoria, were in the útlimo step of the army register of the British Wreath
All this, towards which in Spain and in the circles of the highest society, one saw as an unequal marriage, since they were thinking that Alfonso would marry a princess daughter of kings, a princess's real title(degree) and not daughter of a Battenberg, very despised surname in the monarchic international circles.
For all that, Alfonso asked her uncle, the British king, to grant to her a title of royal princess to be able to relieve the "differences" between the two.

The queen Ena, never adapted to the Spanish customs and she did not also work too much sharm to be gained(earned) in the Spanish Court... She isolated and made a detour with English persons and continued with her customs of always.
Her mother-in-law, a queen with very much character, did not help Ena too much either ... everything opposite... Maria Cristina of Hapsburg - Lorraine, the queen Maria Cristina, was a severe woman and was following(continuing) a very rigid protocol.... She was austere and with very much character and she never approached her daughter-in-law to give her neither support nor fondness.
It was a difficult epoch, where the anarchists always were trying to discredit to the monarchy and they invented million lies against the " foreign queen ".... Lovers invented her, extravagant customs and if it was not sufficient, when her children were born sick, the people started saying that the Queen was kidnapping children to give the blood to her children

The relation between(among) Alfonso and Ena, not only deteriorated for the diseases of their children, but because the queen Ena, was not capable of understanding the thought and the Spanish customs... Ultimately the marriagewas a hell and when they went to the exile, they decided to separate.
Victoria Eugenia was a worthy queen, of whom many lies were invented and possibly in the exile, and with to happen(pass) of the years, the people realized that they did not have a queen so bad(wrong) as made them believe. Simply I believe, that Ena was living in a world that was not rreal, she was not realizing that the Spanish society really had become dangerous for the monarchy ... and when they realized, the King decided the exile ... they never threw(added) it, he left to avoid clashesThe king Alfonso had lived as the Czars they were murdered without no royal house was doing anything for avoiding it and he wanted to have to his family to except,in order that their lives were not in danger.
Victoria Eugenia was a good queen and the history has to recognize it, but she did not belong to the most dear queens, we have to admit it though nowadays they all admit that she was a great lady, and they respect her.
She was a queen of her time, who could not adapt to a society so convulsed as that of her epoch but Shedid not have the fault(sin) of the fall of the monarchy in Spain, not of the exile ... nobody had it ... only the epoch.
All the lies that they were saying on Ena, remember(remind) me very much to the lies that they invent on the princess Letizia ... someone thinks that they can repeat the history jajaja... What happens is that at present, the lies can be dismantled and the princes to be more present in our lives that the princes and kings of the epoch of Ena .... it is a luck

The queen Victory Eugenia was ill-treated by some sector of the society of her epoch, but nowadays, they all remember her with respect.

I read somewhere that even if Alfonso XII said to his wife that he wouldn't care about she being an haemophilia carrier, when the first haemophilic boy was born, he wouldn't accept the fact and he became more and more cold with his wife. Of course, he had no right to feel that way, since he had said to her that haemophilia wouldn't matter for him, for he loved she beyond that fact...:bang:

Vanesa.

P.S: Did you notice how similar to her father Alfonso, Infanta Maria Cristina was??? :eek:

It was Alfonso XIII Queen Ena´s husband. His father Alfonso XII was handsome but he ressembled to his mother and was a philanderer, poor Queen Ena, so beautiful. Some people never love anybody, they just get infatuated.

I don't think the actual SRF is a carrier, neither JC nor his father were haemophiliacs, there isn't a story of haemophilia in the GRF at least on the Queen's generation and I don't believe any of the SRF kids are haemophilic (we have seen them frolicking around, kicking each other, with scars and such) :flowers:

I'm merely curious, specially about Louis Alphonse of Borbon's line, I've heard rumours that his father Jaime and his brother Gonzalo had the disease :ermm:

This disease is transmitted from females to her sons. Luis Alfonso´s father was Alfonso, eldest son of Jaime, Queen Ena´s second child and son, the handsome boy with dark hair to her right in the photo. He was not one of her two sons with the disease, but was deaf. Very intelligent, he learned to read lips and communicate in some way I do not remember now. :ermm:

:previous: It's from Wikipedia. I don't trust that site as a source, because anyone can edit all the information there, therefore sources may be doubtful.

Last edited:
:previous:I believe that's all of her children, not just a couple of them. She had six children: los Infantes Alfonso, Jaime, Juan and Gonzalo, and the Infantas Beatriz and Maria Cristina. ;)

Ena had seven children, one of them was born dead in 1910

-Alfonso was born in 1907 (Haemophilic)

-Jaime
was born in 1908 (Deaf after a ear´s surgery when he was 4)

-Beatriz
was born in 1909

-A dead born child in 1910

-Maria Cristina
was born in 1911

-Juan
was born in 1913

-Gonzalo
was born in 1914 (Haemophilic)

:previous: I was referring to the six surviving children who were in the photo posted before my reply.

Yes i know but i thought it would be relevanto to know the date when they were born and the fact that she had another one who was born dead ;)

A nice close up of Queen Ena and her first son Alfonso, Prince of Asturias. The Queen was a great beauty.

8.JPG

Back
Top Bottom