The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-29-2021, 09:33 AM
Majesty

King Sancho I of León and Queen Teresa Ansúrez

Quote:
He was the son of Ramiro II of León and queen Urraca Sánchez of Pamplona.He was a grandson of Sancho I of Pamplona and Toda Aznárez.

At first, Sancho disputed the throne with Ordońo III who had succeeded their father in 951. Upon Ordońo's death in 956, he took the vacant throne, but only two years later he was deposed by the nobles led by Fernán González of Castile, because of his extreme obesity. He was replaced by Ordońo the Wicked from 958 to 960.

During his exile in Andalus, according to Dozy, Sancho managed to shed at least some portion of his girth under the treatment of Hasdai ibn Shaprut. At the same time, he began endeavouring to reclaim his throne. He first went to his grandmother Toda and asked for aid; next, he concluded a treaty with the Moors and, with the help of the Leonese and Navarrese noblesse, he took Zamora in 959 and took his throne back soon afterwards.

As he did not respect his treaty with the Muslims, he experienced many punishing raids in response. The final years of his reign were characterised by the growing independence of the Castilian and Galician nobility. He was killed by poison[7] and succeeded by his son Ramiro III.

His wife was queen Teresa Ansúrez.
Reign: 956–958
Predecessor: Ordońo III
Successor: Ordońo IV
Reign: 960–966
Predecessor: Ordońo IV
Successor: Ramiro III
Born: c. 932
Died: c. December 19, 966
Burial: Basilica of San Isidoro
Consort: Teresa Ansúrez
Issue: Ramiro III
Urraca
Dynasty: Astur-Leonese dynasty
Father: Ramiro II of León
Mother: Urraca Sánchez of Pamplona
Religion: Roman Catholicism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sancho_I_of_Le%C3%B3n

https://dbe.rah.es/biografias/7394/sancho-i

Teresa Ansúrez:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teresa_Ans%C3%BArez

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)