King Sancho I/IV of Aragon & Navarre and Wives (Queen Isabel and Queen Felicie)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Sancho I Ramírez, King or Aragon ( 1042 - Huesca, 4 June 1094); married in ? on ? 1065 Countess Isabel of Urgel (? - 1071); married 2ndly in ? on ? 1076 (? - 3 May 1123)

Dynasty: Jímenez

Reign in Aragon: 1063 - 1094

Reign in Navarre: 1076 - 1094

Predecessor Aragon: King Ramiro I of Aragon

Predecessor Navarre: King Sancho IV of Navarre

Successor: King Pedro I of Aragon & Navarre

Son Sancho & Isabel: King Pedro I of Aragon & Navarre

Children Sancho & Felicie: Prince Fernando, King Alfonso I and King Ramiro II of Castile and Navarre

Parents Sancho: King Ramiro I of Aragon and Countess Ermesinde of Bigorre

Parents Isabel: Count Ermengol III of Urgell and Countess Clemencia of Bigorre

Parents Felicie: Hilduin III/IV of Roucy and Montdidier and Countess Alix de Roucy

Siblings Sancho: Prince Garcia of Aragon, Bisshop of Jaca; Countess Sancha of Urgell; Princess Urraca of Aragon, nun in Santa Cruz de la Serós and Countess Teresa of Provence

Siblings Isabel: Count Ermengol IV, Count Berenguer; Count Guillem, Count Ramon or Urgell

Half-Sister Isabel: Countess Sancha of Empúries

Siblings Felicie: Count Ebles II of Roucy; Count André of Roucy, lord of Ramerupt; Countess Marguerite of Clermont-en-Beauvaisis; Countess Beatrix of Perche; Countess Ermentrude of Reynal; Ada, lady of Guise, later lady of Avesnes; Countess Adelaide of Chiny; and Aélis of La Sarraz, lady of Grandson

Last edited:
The wikipedia article about King Sancho I of Aragon here:

Sancho Ramírez (c. 1042 – 4 June 1094, Huesca) was king of Aragon (1063-1094, as Sancho I) and king of Navarre (1076-1094, as Sancho V). He was the son of Ramiro I of Aragon and Ermesinde of Bigorre, and he succeeded his father in 1063.
Between 1067 and 1068, the War of the Three Sanchos involved him in a conflict with his first cousins, both also named Sancho: Sancho IV the king of Navarre and Sancho II the king of Castile, respectively. The Castilian Sancho was trying to retake Bureba and Alta Rioja, which his father had given away to king of Navarre and failed to retake. The Navarrese Sancho begged the aid of the Aragonese Sancho to defend his kingdom. Sancho of Castile defeated the two cousins and retook both Bureba and Alta Rioja, as well as Álava.
Sancho Ramírez was elected king of Navarre in 1076 after Sancho IV of Navarre was murdered by his own siblings, thus prompting a succession crisis. Sancho's young son, García, was recognized as titular king in León and Castile, where he lived in exile.
Sancho conquered Barbastro in 1064, Graus in 1083, and Monzón in 1089.
He married first in c.1065 (divorced 1071), Isabel of Urgel (d. c.1071), daughter of Count Armengol III of Urgel and second in 1076, Felicie of Roucy (d May 3, 1123), daughter of Count Hilduin III of Roucy. A third marriage - to Philippa of Toulouse - is sometimes given but other evidence records him as still married to Felicie at the time of his death.
He perished in 1094 at the Siege of Huesca.
His three sons: by Isabel, he had Peter; by Felicie he had Alfonso and Ramiro. All three succeeded in turn to the throne of Aragon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom