King Alfonso V of Aragon and Napels and Queen Maria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Alfonso V ‘The Magnanimous’, King of Aragon, Valencia, Mallorca, Sicily and Sardinia, King of Napels, Count of Barcelona (Medina del Campo, ?, 1396 – Napels, 27 June 1458); married in Valencia on 12 October 1415 Princess Maria of Castile (Segovia, 1 September 1401 – Valencia, 4 October 1458)

Reign Aragon: 1416 - 1458

Reign Napels: 1442 - 1458

Dynasty: Trastámara

Predecessor Aragon: King Fernando I of Aragon

Predecessor Napels: King Renato I of Napels

Successor Aragon: King Juan II of Aragon

Successor Napels: King Ferdinando I of Napels

Children: None

Parents Alfonso: King Fernando I of Aragon and Princess Leonor of Alburquerque (Castile)

Parents Maria: King Enrique III of Castile and Princess Catherine of Lancaster

Siblings Alfonso:Queen Maria of Castile; King Juan II of Aragon; Prince Enrique of Aragon, Duke of Villena, Count of Alburquerque and Empuries; Queen Leonor of Portugal; Prince Pedro of Aragon, Count of Alburquerque and Duke of Noto and Prince Sancho of Aragon

Brother Maria: King Juan II of Castile

Last edited:
Alfonso the Magnanimous (also Alphonso; Catalan: Alfons) (1396 – 27 June 1458) was the King of Aragon and Count of Barcelona (as Alfonso V) from 1416 and King of Naples (as Alfonso I) from 1442 until his death. He was one of the most prominent figures of the early Renaissance.

He was the son of Ferdinand I of Aragon (known as Ferdinand of Antequera) and Eleanor of Alburquerque. He represented the old line of the counts of Barcelona only through women, and was on his father's side descended from the House of Trastamara, a noble family of Castile. By hereditary right he was king of Sicily and disputed the island of Sardinia with Genoa. Alfonso was also in possession of much of Corsica by the 1420s.
In 1421 Queen Joanna II of Naples, who had no children, adopted and named him as heir to the Kingdom of Naples, and Alfonso went to Naples. Here he hired the famous condottiero Braccio da Montone with the task of reducing the resistance of the other pretendant, Louis III of Anjou, and his forces led by Muzio Attendolo Sforza. As Pope Martin V supported Sforza, Alfonso switched religious allegiance to the Aragonese antipope Benedict XIII. When Sforza also abandoned Louis, Alfonso seemed to have all his problems solved; however, his relationship with Joanna suddenly worsened, and in May 1423 he had her lover, and a powerful figure in the Neapolitan court, Gianni Caracciolo, arrested. After an attempt to arrest the queen herself failed, Joanna called Sforza who defeated the Aragonese milices near Castel Capuano in Naples. Alfonso fled to Castel Nuovo, but the help of a fleet of 22 galleys led by Giovanni da Cardona improved his situation. Sforza and Joanna ransomed Caracciolo and retreated to the fortress of Aversa. Here she repudiated her earlier adoption of Alfonso and, with support from Martin V, named Louis III as her heir instead. The Milanese Filippo Maria Visconti joined the anti-Aragonese coalition. Alfonso requested support from Braccio da Montone, who was besieging Joanna's troops in L'Aquila, but had to set sail for Spain, where a war had broken out between his brothers and the Kingdom of Castile. On his way towards Barcelona, he destroyed Marseille, a possession of Louis III.

Read the entire article here.

Maria of Castile (1401–1458) was a daughter of Henry III of Castile and Catherine of Lancaster.
Her paternal grandparents were John I of Castile and his first wife Eleanor of Aragon. Her maternal grandparents were John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster and his second wife Constance of Castile (1354-1394). Maria was also an older sister of John II of Castile.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Back
Top Bottom