History and Traditions of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
Last edited by a moderator:
John (Juan), Prince of Asturias (1478-1497) was the son and heir of Queen Isabella I and King Ferdinand V. If Juan had lived to be the sovereign, would he have been King Juan III or King Juan I?

John (Juan), Prince of Asturias (1478-1497) was the son and heir of Queen Isabella I and King Ferdinand V. If Juan had lived to be the sovereign, would he have been King Juan III or King Juan I?

I think it would be Juan III.

This is very informative, BlogReal. Thank you!

I posted this on the "who outranks who" thread but maybe someone on here might know the answer:)

"Does the King of Spain ever use the style His Most Catholic Majesty awarded by Pope Alexander VI in 1493? Or indeed is he ever referred to formally as Rex Catholicissimus Most Catholic King?"

Thank you:flowers:

No that style is not used by the King of Spain.

Visigoth Kings

The following is a list of the Visigoth kings who reigned on the Iberian Peninsula (395-720).

1. Alarico I (395-410)
  2. Ataúlfo (410-415) m. 1. ¿? 2. Gala Placidia
  3. Sigérico(415)
  4. Walia (415-418)
  5. Teodorico (418-451) m. Flavia Valiana
  6. Turismundo (451-453)
  7. Teodorico II (453-466)
  8. Eurico (466-484) m. Ragnahilda
  9. Alarico II (484-507) m. Teodegonda
  10. Gesaleico (507-510)
  11. Amalarico (510-531) m. Clotilde
  12. Theudis (531-548)
  13. Theudisclo (548-549)
  14. Agila I (549-551)
  15. Atanagildo (551-567) m. 1. Gosvinta 2. Flavia Juliana
  16. Liuva I (567-572)
  17. Leovigildo (572-586) m. 1. ? 2. Gosvinta
  18. Recaredo (586-601) m. Bada
  19. Liuva II (601-603)
  20. Witérico (603-610)
  21. Gundemaro (610-612) m. Hildoara
  22. Sisebuto (612-621)
  23. Recaredo II (621)
  24. Suíntila (621-631)
  25. Sisenando (631-636)
  26. Khíntila (636-639)
  27. Tulga (639-642)
  28. Khindasvinto (642-653) m. Riciberga
  29. Recesvinto (653-672)
  30. Wamba (672-680)
  31. Ervigio (680-687) m. Liuvigoto
  32. Egica (687-700) m. Cixilo
  33. Witiza (700-710)
  34. Rodrigo (710-711) m. Egilona

The day the King washed the feet of the poor in the Palace

I have just discovered an ancient tradition (which no longer exists) of the Kings of Spain.

Since Ferdinand III of Castile, whom they called "the Holy One", instituted the ceremony in the thirteenth century, every Holy Thursday kings used to wash the feet of a dozen poor people, imitating the act of Jesus Christ with their apostles before the Last Supper.

The ceremony, with some variations, had been held almost without interruption until the 20th century. As ABC reported in 1911, the poor were chosen by lot and their names were published in newspapers at the time. To be "so marked at the mercy", they had to meet various conditions, such as being over 60 years old, poor in solemnity and not suffering from any contagious disease.

https://www.abc.es/archivo/abci-lavaba-pies-pobres-palacio-202004090144_noticia.html

Last edited:
I have just discovered an ancient tradition (which no longer exists) of the Kings of Spain.

Since Ferdinand III of Castile, whom they called "the Holy One", instituted the ceremony in the thirteenth century, every Holy Thursday kings used to wash the feet of a dozen poor people, imitating the act of Jesus Christ with their apostles before the Last Supper.

T

https://www.abc.es/archivo/abci-lavaba-pies-pobres-palacio-202004090144_noticia.html

It was doen by many Monarchs In the past...

It was doen by many Monarchs In the past...

I've never heard of that tradition. Did the monarchs of other countries do this too? In which countries was this tradition?

I've never heard of that tradition. Did the monarchs of other countries do this too? In which countries was this tradition?

Since all monarchies in Europe at a certain time were "roman Catholic" they all did it as far as I know. It is a sign that the King, like Christ, is ready to serve his people..
Im not sure when it was dropped in the UK but now the queen gives "maundy money" to pensioners, in lieu of the feet washing.

Since all monarchies in Europe at a certain time were "roman Catholic" they all did it as far as I know. It is a sign that the King, like Christ, is ready to serve his people..
Im not sure when it was dropped in the UK but now the queen gives "maundy money" to pensioners, in lieu of the feet washing.

Thanks for the information. I didn't really know this tradition.
I've learned a lot in this forum and today I learned one more thing. ?

All English monarchs washed the feet of the poor on Maundy Thursday at Westminster Abbey. That custom largely stopped in the reign of King Charles II but I have read of Queen Anne washing feet on a few occasions in the very early 18th century.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Maundy

All English monarchs washed the feet of the poor on Maundy Thursday at Westminster Abbey. That custom largely stopped in the reign of King Charles II but I have read of Queen Anne washing feet on a few occasions in the very early 18th century.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Maundy

she was also the last monarch to touch for the Kings Evil?

The pope is still continuing this tradition (but probably not this year).

The Emperor and Empress of Austria did it.

The pope is still continuing this tradition (but probably not this year).

Oh not only the pope, it is done in normal parishes aswell if the priest
chooses to do so and in roman catholic orders of course, bith male&female.
I know families who do so, it is a question of faith.

Why is the King of Spain King of Jerusalem?

King Felipe VI, linked to his status as King of Jerusalem, an honorary title he holds as holder of the Crown of Spain. This dignity dates back to the Middle Ages, a period to which the exploration of its origin leads through genealogy, wars and a sale.

www.abc.es/internacional/abci-espana-jerusalen-202001221727_noticia_amp.html

Places where the Kings of Castile and Spain are buried.
SPAIN

Places where the Kings of Aragon are buried.
https://www.royaltombs.dk/aragon.html

Places where the Kings of León are buried.
https://www.royaltombs.dk/leon.html

Places where the Kings of Navarre are buried.
https://www.royaltombs.dk/navarre.html

Kingdom of Majorca
1024px-Bandera_del_Reino_de_Mallorca.svg.png

The Kingdom of Mallorca was created by Jaime I the Conqueror after his conquest of the island of Mallorca in 1231.

Monarchs of Majorca:
  1. James I (1231–1276) m. 1. Eleanor 2. Violant of Hungary 3. Teresa Gil de Vidaure
  2. James II (1276–1286 and 1295–1311) m. Esclaramunda of Foix
  3. Alfonso I of Aragon (1286–1291)
  4. James III (1291–1295) m. 1. Isabella of Castile 2. Blanche of Anjou 3. Marie de Lusignan 4. Elisenda de Montcada
  5. Sancho (1311–1324) m. Maria of Naples
  6. James III of Majorca (1324–1344) m. 1. Constance of Aragon 2. Violant of Vilaragut
  7. James IV of Majorca (1349–1375) m. Joan I of Naples
  8. Isabella of Majorca (1375–1403) m. 1. John II of Montferrat 2. Konrad of Reischach and Jungnau

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Sofia was raised Greek Orthodox but converted to Roman Catholicism in 1962.

An interesting video on the traditions of crowning, like in the UK, vs a proclamation of kingship like in Spain.

It's in Spanish and to read the subtitles in English on this or other videos do this:

1. On the bottom right side when the video plays, go to the settings wheel, to the right of the CC (subtitles/closed captioned) also left to the word YouTube.
2. Select and click English or Auto Generated (subtitles) and enjoy!

Why the Kings of Spain don't wear a Crown (on their heads)?

Last edited:
I was 14 years old and everyone was like he's not going to last after Franco, so he was nicknamed Juan Carlos el breve / Juan Carlos the brief. It's a thing in Spain to give nicknames, often funny, to everything in the world of politics.
When Napoleon I made his brother King of Spain our ancestors nicknamed him King Pepe Botella /Pepe (the) Bottle, because his love for drinking.

Back
Top Bottom