Why are users forced to post?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

compatissant

Commoner
City
New York
Country
United States
I am basically a lurker, have been since the beginning, and just enjoy reading all the posts. I am an admirer of most of the royal houses but really have nothing to add that would be of any interest. So, my question is, why are good members in good standing, non troublemakers, forced to contribute? I'm tired of reading the message - Hello compatissant it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks..... If we just want to read and admire the photos but not have anything worthwhile to post, why can't we just lurk?

Diane

why are users forced to post

I have the same problem.
When the sentence appears I only write for example "bla bla bla" then they leave me alone for the next weeks.
Only this works.

Whne I first joined this website I did not post at all for a while because I had nothing to post but I have never been forced to post by anyone.

So its interesting that you have this experience. :)

I think the message is there in the hopes that people will participate in the community. It's easy to be intimidated in a large forum like this with a lot of very knowledgeable members, and it'd be a shame if people really wanted to post but were hesitant to take that first step.

I know the message is annoying for people who have made the decision not to post, but the forum owner wants to have it there to encourage people to participate, so at least for the moment the best thing to do is to try and ignore it.

I have found that if you post every week and a half then you won't get the note. It does kind of irritate a person trying to ignore it. :(
But we just have to :D (grin) and bear it! :rolleyes:

Elspeth said:
but the forum owner wants to have it there to encourage people to participate
Who is the forum owner??Thanks in advance

A post every now and then does not hurt much if it keeps the account open. I go through the same with a couple of free email services where I must log in every certain amount of days to keep then active. I only use them to divert the spam away from my main email, you know, like when you install a program that requires signing up with an email and then you get this tidal wave of spam afterwards.

So, don't be afraid to drop a line or two to remain active. I have noticed that I can't see some pictures unless I log in so it's worth to keep the account available.

Anna_R said:
Andy R is the forum owner.

I have been fascinated by these type of Forums for quite some time. I remember in another forum the people in charge had a thread that the history of all these royal forums in generals was discussed, at least from vague memories. How they all started, which ones sprung from other ones and which others merged with other forums. Since history is the basis for all things royal, is there such thread in here that can tell us more about origin of Andy R's The Royal Forums (that I do recall had another name in French not long ago) :confused:

The Royal Forums was formerly known as Les Tribunes Royales (or something like that :D).

Yes, that's the name! I forgot about it but I knew it was in French.

Banned User?

Hello.
I've noticed that some users are banned.What is that?They can't post anymore?And if yes why?

Sorry for that maybe it's not the right thread to ask something like that but i didn't want to create a new one for a single post:eek:

Beatrice said:
Hello.
I've noticed that some users are banned.What is that?They can't post anymore?And if yes why?

Sorry for that maybe it's not the right thread to ask something like that but i didn't want to create a new one for a single post:eek:

The specific reason why members are banned is confidential. Generally banned members have behaved in some way that is incompatible or violates our Posting Rules & Guidelines and has resulted in them being prohibited from visiting and posting here any longer.

Hey!
I`ll jusk why the annoying message isn`t go away ,when I have post two new pictures???????????

Do you mean the new animated ad message we see when we log in? This week there is an annoying GIF message about a mosquito or something (it's an ad to get a 'free' item) that does not shut down unless I click on any thread to escape. I started to mute the PC so I don't have to hear that 'flying fly' sound coming through my speakers.

Last edited:
No I mean "it appears that you not have posted on our forum in several wweks". Sorry by the misunderstanding, my english isn`t the best

Toledo said:
A post every now and then does not hurt much if it keeps the account open. I go through the same with a couple of free email services where I must log in every certain amount of days to keep then active. I only use them to divert the spam away from my main email, you know, like when you install a program that requires signing up with an email and then you get this tidal wave of spam afterwards.

So, don't be afraid to drop a line or two to remain active. I have noticed that I can't see some pictures unless I log in so it's worth to keep the account available.

I guess I have to agree - it is worth a post every once in a while to see the photos. That's what I actually love the most about these boards!

Diane

compatissant said:
Hello compatissant it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks.....
This morning when I logged-in to post a royal news I got the same message. Actually the last post I'd made was last July 24, but I still logged-in and visited the forum for couple of time (without sending any post). I think getting the message just only after around two weeks without sending any post but still logged-in is too much!! :ermm:
I am still in Holiday and have much less time to participate in forum's discussion, but I'll post just like before when the holiday finish :).

Dear Members,

You should just get yourselves infected with logorrhea as I am. I just babble and bubble away with absolute garbage and do not have a clue as to what on earth I am talking about. I am also a computer mongoloid. I hate computers but I love RF, so this really is for me a form of sado-masochism.

I everysooften get off my favorite watering holes and go exploring so I have landed here today. I just do not understand this business of avatars what on earth is that. So you so being confused and not knowing a thing is no impediment, no impediment at all. Plus I make life difficult for the moderators with my various acidulous and arrogant remarks and give them heartburn and they must debate whether to have me hung up by the heels over a pot of burning sulphur or simply sent to the Tower to rot. So you see there are all kinds of lovely things you can talk about. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Your post about being infected with log-o-rhea is funny, a bit crude but very funny. :cool:

Thomas Parkman said:
..I just do not understand this business of avatars what on earth is that.

The Avatar is that little 80 by 80 pixels GIF or JPG image next to our user names. There is another section that explains them and members take the time to create them according to their favorite themes. For me is just like the gadgets and toys we all keep around our office desk that have no meaning to anyone but ourselves. But it does bring life to the forum, otherwise this place would be just a sea of letters and numbers. And it also reflects personal taste, a particular royal or royal moment or object we are interested in at the moment or just the fun to have a picture associated with a name. The reasons are endless.
Wikipedia also has a good series of articles to describe the purpose of forums and Forum Avatars but the best quick short definition I've found is this one:

your avatar is the visual "handle" or display appearance you use to represent yourself. From Look Up Tech Terms

Give Avatars a try, you might like them.

Last edited:
galuhcandrakirana said:
This morning when I logged-in to post a royal news I got the same message. Actually the last post I'd made was last July 24, but I still logged-in and visited the forum for couple of time (without sending any post). I think getting the message just only after around two weeks without sending any post but still logged-in is too much!! :ermm:
I am still in Holiday and have much less time to participate in forum's discussion, but I'll post just like before when the holiday finish :).

I am busy working 2 jobs - reading these boards for me is a form of relaxation. Instead, I feel stressed by this message and being forced to post so that I can maintain these privileges. I just want to lurk, look at photos, and read without being under duress! Do the moderators understand this?

Diane

Yes, of course we do. Go ahead and lurk! We'd much rather you posted when you wanted to post than because you felt you had to when you didn't have anything you really wanted to say.

I'm managing to ignore this message on other boards; it's annoying, but in the great scheme of things it isn't awful.

Back
Top Bottom