Username questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't know you could stop being a member. I thought that if you didn't like it you just stopped posting.

(Don't worry, I'm not thinking of leaving!!!!:lol:)

In other forums I've been in, those types of posts were made by guests who didn't have a regular username and password. It's possible that TRF used to allow guests to post, they don't anymore [most forums don't].

A while back in 2005 we gave the notice that we would delete some of the users that hadn't been active for at least a year (It turned out to be more time than that, if I recall correctly). Mostly it was people who had registered, taken a popular username, like Elizabeth... and then never returned, but some of them also had a few posts. The posts of these deleted members, will appear with the username only - and no link to a profile.

As far as I know, we didn't delete any users with posts during that purge, just ones who'd registered (I think we used a 2-year window in the end) and never shown up again after registering, and had helped themselves to popular names. We're always hopeful that members who have posted in the past will come back! I think in a mass deletion like that, people's IDs would be set to Guest if they had posts.

It's possible that this happened when Andy took over the site or that things were different a few years ago when users were deleted, but I don't really know.

I think that are people who cancelled their membership.

"The Andy person"? Good heavens.

Poor Andy...:lol:

Far as I know, that just means the user was deleted. I think these days it reverts to Guest and the username is then available for re-use, but in the past it may have just defaulted to the way it looks in that link of yours. I assume that if it's different now, the change will have happened during an upgrade of the vbulletin software, not just because the owner changed.

I'm pretty sure that guests (i.e., nonregistered persons) were never allowed to post.

Maybe the Andy person :D might have some more information.

Last edited:
he's not an andy person, he's my hero!!!! works very hard to keep this forum up. big applause for andy everyone.
i don't think guests have ever been able to post??? only read i'm pretty sure.

Well, I don't know who this Andy is, so I'm sorry if I offended him!

Well, I don't know who this Andy is, so I'm sorry if I offended him!

Andy is the owner of TRF. I don´t think anything upsetting has been set so he most probably won´t feel offended by anything here (I hope ;)), so don´t worry about that.

Can guests post on TRF today?

No. Far as I know, they never could.

Change Username

Is there a way to change my username? When I set it up I chose a simple one at the top of my head at that moment. My initial hope was was Baseball Royalty or Baseball Princess -combining the two things I really enjoy :)! However, I simply threw out what I currently have. Is it possible?

Thanks.

You can only change username if it reveals personal information such as your name. Or you can change a lower case letter to an upper case letter, I did that sometime last year. Best bet is to PM Warren or Wbenson and ask. An entire change of username is impossible without deleting and creating a new account.

That is incorrect, changing a usersname does not mean that we have to delete an account. In fact, we don't delete accounts at all. We only merge multiple accounts of the same user.

-----------

To USCtrojan,the matter is best explained in our FAQ, so I copied that information:

Can I change my username?

Minor changes (correction of typos, deletion of numbers or symbols after the name, addition of HRH, etc) may be made at any time. There are only a couple of situations where we allow members to make major changes to their usernames. If a username is a potential security risk (such as the member's full name), it can be changed at any time. There is also a 30-day window after joining when members can change their username if they decide they don't like the name they chose during the registration process. Members who joined more than 30 days ago may also make one change of username as long as their total post count is 50 or lower. Only one change is permitted per member. Anyone wishing to request a username change should contact an administrator by private message.

So if indeed you have a pressing reason to change it, it is best to contact any of the administrators. In general we are not too eager about it, as it may cause confusion.

Last edited:
A question for any admins

Hi
I have been on this forum since the duke and duchess of Cambridge got married, I want to know how do I change my username, I don't live in London anymore and I'm no longer 27 so my username doesn't make sense. I have been trying to change it but don't know how. If anyone can help I would be most appreciated

I'm not a Mod - but here you go from: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-find-the-answers-here-34071.html#post1488578.

"Can I change my username?

Minor changes (correction of typos, deletion of numbers or symbols after the name, addition of HRH, etc) may be made at any time. There are only a couple of situations where we allow members to make major changes to their usernames. If a username is a potential security risk (such as the member's full name), it can be changed at any time. There is also a 30-day window after joining when members can change their username if they decide they don't like the name they chose during the registration process. Members who joined more than 30 days ago may also make one change of username as long as their total post count is 50 or lower. Only one change is permitted per member. Anyone wishing to request a username change should contact an administrator by private message."

I'm not a Mod - but here you go from: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-find-the-answers-here-34071.html#post1488578.

"Can I change my username?

Minor changes (correction of typos, deletion of numbers or symbols after the name, addition of HRH, etc) may be made at any time. There are only a couple of situations where we allow members to make major changes to their usernames. If a username is a potential security risk (such as the member's full name), it can be changed at any time. There is also a 30-day window after joining when members can change their username if they decide they don't like the name they chose during the registration process. Members who joined more than 30 days ago may also make one change of username as long as their total post count is 50 or lower. Only one change is permitted per member. Anyone wishing to request a username change should contact an administrator by private message."

Thankyou so much for your help [emoji847]

Back
Top Bottom