Issues regarding emails from TRF

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Australian

Heir Presumptive
City
Perth
Country
Australia
I would like to know if anyone could tell me what it actually means when a thread indicates that you are subscribd to it. What does that mean? And how do you get subscribed to a thread, because i just realised i am subscribed but i dont know how it happened :)

thank you, i hope this isnt an embarrassing question lol

When you reply to a thread, down on the page, there is a drop-down list.

These are the options:

Do not subscribe
No email notification
Instant email notification
Daily email notification
Weekly email notification

Choosing one of the last three you'll receive an email message with the latest replies to that thread - in the frequency you choose.

If you choose the second option, the thread will only appear at your User CP indicating that there are new posts.

And choosing the first you do not subscribe at all.

In User CP >> Edit Options, you'll find this:

Default Thread Subscription Mode
When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.
Default Thread Subscription Mode:

Just choose the option that best suits you as your default.

Email when a reply is posted

Hey there,

I know this from other forums:
You get an email when somebody else replies to a thread that you opened or have previously replied to.
Is it possible to have this here too?
If yes, how do I activate it? Haven't found that function yet...:ermm:

When you reply to a thread, make sure you click "Post Reply" rather than using the Quick Reply option. Under the box where you write your post, there are a bunch of options, one of which is Thread Subscription. If you want to receive e-mails for that thread, just choose your preferred notification format (instant e-mail, daily, or weekly) from the drop-down menu.

If you decide you want to delete your subscription to a thread, you can do it from your User CP in the Edit Options page.

If you try it and it doesn't work, feel free to come back and ask some follow-up questions!

Ok! Thanks! I am trying it with this thread now.

OK, well, here's a reply to test the system, then. ;)

I used to receive emails from this site which told me a member had posted in a thread that I had posted in. Recently, I've noticed that I haven't been receiving any. I quite like getting them, does anyone know what's happening/how I could receive them again?

We are still sending them ;)

If you are a gmail user, please look in you spam folder. It's likely that you inadvertently labeled on of the notices as spam and gmail assumed that all mail from us was spam.

:previous: Thanks for replying Janet H, I'll try what you've suggested. :) I've recently had to change my email account's password (I noticed that I wasn't receiving the emails a day or two after I'd changed it), and I'm wondering whether that could also be one of the reasons as to why I haven't been receiving the emails.

:previous:
I assume you have some sort of computer internet security protection software; if so it will most likely include an email scanner. You can fairly safely add TRF to the scanning exceptions list. At the same time, and depending on the software, you could check the record of recent scanned emails to see what status the email scanner has given to incoming emails from TRF.

Another issue, linked to but separate from the above, is that the scanner software can sometimes hiccup. For example, I have Avira Internet Security, updated as required, and for three years the email scanner has operated without incident. However, over the past couple of months, for no apparent reason every so often it will simply block all incoming emails (or block one of my two email accounts and let the other through) or else classify email from previously 'safe' sources (eg TRF) as "spam". For the former issue I turn off email scanning for a few seconds to let the build-up flow through, for the latter I check the scanned email list and the exception settings.

Alternatively, the issue causing you a problem may be quite different to any of these. Things happen, it's the nature of computers. Because there are so many variables involved, from the firewall to the security program to the email software itself, and with each having its own range of settings, when something goes awry it can often be difficult to identify the cause. Good luck! :)

Thank you for the extra information Warren, I've also tried what you've suggested and the emails are working now! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if this is an issue itself, but I decided to post this here since I couldn't find a thread about general questions regarding emails.

I was wondering if there is an option for receiving emails whenever we've received a Profile Comment? At the moment, I'm just getting emails for Private Messages, although I think it would be nice if we could have one for Profile Comments too, since I respond to mine and like to know when I've got some when I'm not online.

I'm not sure if this is an issue itself, but I decided to post this here since I couldn't find a thread about general questions regarding emails.

I was wondering if there is an option for receiving emails whenever we've received a Profile Comment? At the moment, I'm just getting emails for Private Messages, although I think it would be nice if we could have one for Profile Comments too, since I respond to mine and like to know when I've got some when I'm not online.

Yes there is an option. In your user settings http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

Scroll down and enable notifications for visitor messaging. Then scroll to the bottom and click save.

Yes there is an option. In your user settings http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

Scroll down and enable notifications for visitor messaging. Then scroll to the bottom and click save.

I found the Profile Comments/Visitor Messages section on the 'Edit Options' section of my user settings, although couldn't find an option to enable the receiving of emails for Profile Comments. I found one for a PM whenever I receive a Thanks, but not for Profile Comments.

Look again and look for "visitor messaging". They mean the same thing - yes it's confusing....

Back
Top Bottom