Is there something we can do about the Sussex Threads?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumutqueen

Imperial Majesty
City
Middlewich
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

So I've been contemplating posting this for a while. I want to know if there's something posters can do, or if we can look at doing something as a forum to better support the moderators with the Sussex threads?

They're being closed, for very good reasons, on an almost daily basis and it's frustrating for all involved especially the moderators who must be sick to death of issuing the same information only to be ignored. It's got to the point, that I don't bother to venture into that forum.

Could we look at a set of rules being issued for that forum? Then perhaps repercussions when the rules aren't followed. I know it was be out of the ordinary, but this is the only sub section in the TRF that I have seen attract this much closure. Perhaps a ban on certain provocative news articles being published? Whilst I appreciate a level of freedom of speech, every thread in that section always end up back at the same media circus ending and it's because of usually information posted in articles that come from sources. Or, to an extreme and quite consuming, a post approval in certain threads? I don't know if that's even possible.

I genuinely just want to attempt to help both the moderators, and our users because nobody wants to have the forums shut.

I don't really enter those threads as much as many others not only because I don't really care for the Sussex but mostly because I find both their die hard supporters and their die hard non-suppoerters to be pretty toxic. So yeah, the British forum moderators get all my sympathy.

I've always wondered why people post articles they deem to be dumb, false or pure trash. Just don't post them and don't spread them. Also, don't comment if somebody else link them. I know it wouldn't solve the toxic situation but I think it would be a step in the right direction.

Hello all,

So I've been contemplating posting this for a while. I want to know if there's something posters can do, or if we can look at doing something as a forum to better support the moderators with the Sussex threads?

They're being closed, for very good reasons, on an almost daily basis and it's frustrating for all involved especially the moderators who must be sick to death of issuing the same information only to be ignored. It's got to the point, that I don't bother to venture into that forum.

Could we look at a set of rules being issued for that forum? Then perhaps repercussions when the rules aren't followed. I know it was be out of the ordinary, but this is the only sub section in the TRF that I have seen attract this much closure. Perhaps a ban on certain provocative news articles being published? Whilst I appreciate a level of freedom of speech, every thread in that section always end up back at the same media circus ending and it's because of usually information posted in articles that come from sources. Or, to an extreme and quite consuming, a post approval in certain threads? I don't know if that's even possible.

I genuinely just want to attempt to help both the moderators, and our users because nobody wants to have the forums shut.

It is becoming increasingly bizarre on any thread that has any information about the Sussexes, and I really have no idea at all how to rein that in. There seem to be certain patterns that are predictable, however. Sometimes, as you noted, Lumutqueen, someone will post a link to a blog or tabloid article, which will start a heated exchange, but it has reached the point that even a neutral or mildly supportive comment is enough ignite the negativity. It would be a huge shame to ban any commentary at all on the Sussexes, but I'm beginning to think that may be the only way to pull the plug on this vicious cycle. I made what I thought was a completely neutral comment on another thread today, and the reaction was as though I had said something awful. I'm at a loss for how to normalize any discussion about Harry and Meghan.

Its sad to say but I think for now, the best option is to keep the threads close until, who knows when, the emotion people seem to have dies down. I don't think its fair on the poor mods to have to put up with people bickering and arguing over the most innocuous of comments. Sadly, at the moment at least, it seems for some people impossible to have a reasonable conversation involving the Sussex's which is so sad given how often these Forums in the past have hosted people with differing opinions and views yet who can express them politely and fairly.

Last edited:
None of us know Duchess of Sussex personally, so in essence everybody is projecting their own stuff on her. If you spot it, you got it.

None of us know Duchess of Sussex personally, so in essence everybody is projecting their own stuff on her. If you spot it, you got it.

This may be an element, but after thinking about it a little, I think another contributing factor may be that Meghan in particular seems to have attracted a large number of posters who perhaps aren't as interested in royalty and royals in general as they are in being fans of Meghan. When I look back over a lot of the threads, even before they closed, it's obvious that a lot of times posters are talking at complete cross purposes, either unintentionally or deliberately not even attempting to see the other person's point, and things just go downhill from there. I don't know how the moderators can remedy that. They've been doing an excellent job, but no matter how many threads have been closed down, within a very short period of time (minutes in some cases)someone will plant a metaphorical grenade in any remaining open thread, and there you go.

This may be an element, but after thinking about it a little, I think another contributing factor may be that Meghan in particular seems to have attracted a large number of posters who perhaps aren't as interested in royalty and royals in general as they are in being fans of Meghan.

For the first time in several months I'm going to comment because this exact issue is one of the two reasons I stopped posting/commenting/interacting here at all. This used to be a very enjoyable place to be and even when posters didn't always agree, there was typically a mutual respect and an "agree to disagree" mentality. Now, however, it has literally become a "Meghan Fan Club" atmosphere and anyone who doesn't toe the line is instantly and brutally slapped down. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a massive fan of the Sussexes just as others aren't major fans of other families. However, I do try hard to live by the "credit where it's due" philosophy and though I might be critical of some things they do or wear, I try to also be as positive as possible when I like something they did or wore. That said, posters shouldn't feel as though they are unable to post their opinions if they are in any way critical or not sugary sweet and glowingly positive.

It's become very apparent that unless your comment is over the top positive and in the camp of the Sussexes can do no wrong, a few posters who are clearly Sussex superfans will be quick to tell you why you're wrong, why you should feel differently, that you clearly have some ridiculous bias against Meghan, that you just might possibly be a racist, etc. and it's really gotten out of hand. Having an opinion that is less than glowingly positive at all times does not make you any of those things. Meghan is no more or less important or wonderful than anyone else and criticism and reservations about her and/or Harry are just as valid and/or warranted as they are about any royal.

The fact that you can almost count down the seconds until a response is posted to rap you on the knuckles or slap you down is really out of control and ridiculous and I suspect it's driven away many more posters than just myself. It's not fun to be here anymore. It's lost that sense of community or a common interest. And to be honest, I have no idea how you fix it other than to either ban the posters who are clearly just here to defend the Sussexes at all costs and drive away posters with other opinions or to keep those threads closed to prevent all comments good or bad or to institute a system of comment approval before they're actually posted which seems like a massive undertaking. Just my two cents, of course, but this is the first thread in a long time that feels like it might be prudent to weigh in.

Last edited:
(...)Meghan in particular seems to have attracted a large number of posters who perhaps aren't as interested in royalty(...)
Duchess of Sussex is royalty.
I think people who don't like Meghan could take holidays from commenting on a disliked royal... and her fans.

How do I unsubscribe from this forum? It's so toxic with everyone pointing fingers instead of looking at how THEY themselves have contributed to the problem.

I really really DON’T want this thread to be about what’s wrong with the Sussex threads. I want to know what can be done to stop the nonsense that goes on in them.

I really really DON’T want this thread to be about what’s wrong with the Sussex threads. I want to know what can be done to stop the nonsense that goes on in them.

I'm going to bite. Here's one idea:

*How about we not post every silly article we across on from the web.

I'm not saying to post only positive things, but some of the things people post are just downright nasty and are meant to cause a stir in the thread. If you know the article is probably nonsense and meant to cause a stir, why then post it and put in a caveat. My keen memory of last year when a few posters did this always and it was meant as a way to disrupt the Sussex threads, and lo and behold, every time these posters would post something, within the hour, the thread was closed. I have seen two of these said posters still doing the same thing as of this month, and one of them has been MIA for a for a few months.

BTW...I don't see this with any other royal threads (at least the ones that I follow) where there are rumours abound in different papers and on the web and people posting about them, because we already know is probably made up nonsense.

Last edited:

I've already posted that I have no idea, but I think tommy100 may have the only workable idea for the short term, which would be a real shame.

I'm going to bite. Here's one idea:

*How about we not post every silly article we across on from the web.

I'm not saying to post only positive things, but some of the things people post are just downright nasty and are meant to cause a stir in the thread. If you know the article is probably nonsense and meant to cause a stir, why then post it and put in a caveat. My keen memory of last year when a few posters did this always and it was meant as a way to disrupt the Sussex threads, and lo and behold, every time these posters would post something, within the hour, the thread was closed. I have seen two of these said posters still doing the same thing as of this month, and one of them has been MIA for a for a few months.

BTW...I don't see this with any other royal threads (at least the ones that I follow) where there are rumours abound in different papers and on the web and people posting about them, because we already know is probably made up nonsense.

Pretty much this.

And honestly, every royal on here have their own fan base on here (yes, I'm aware it's not a fan site, but nevertheless fans come here). So what if people are only interested in Meghan? That's irrelevant to if they can participate. If they have the wrong facts, I don't think it's wrong to point it out, but there is no need to be dismissive towards people who likes Meghan. It seems far more acceptable to complain about "fans" than to call someone a hater. As much as some only likes Meghan, there are those that hate everything she does.

In terms of fixing this, I don't know even saying certain things are off limit is going to work. Unless there is a solution to find a balanced approach. It seems lately we've gotten to the point where people can't say what they truly want because it's against forums rules, and then just come in with any negative article about Meghan that is nasty and without basis because they don't like her. And rest of us can't question the source or intention of the person who wrote it. If you want to limit one side of that conversation, then there should be limits on both. For example, if you don't want people to talk about Piers Morgan when he gives his personal opinion, then maybe don't allow Piers Morgan articles to be posted at all. Or when RRs tweet their own personal opinions. I don't know how you can expect people not to talk about the writer when he makes himself such a personal and integrated part of what he writes. It's called considering the source.

Last edited:
Pretty much this.

Jacqui, I'm serious. How do I get out of here? I messaged a mod and no one has responded. I'm sick of the hypocrisy here. No one says a word when a well know fan and poster of the Princess Victoria of Sweden puts in her daily jibe at Princess Sofia (or when a few posters defend Sofia), but it's just a Sussex problem.

I may have only signed onto the forums last year because I wanted to interact with others during the wedding, but I have been following this forum for years, and can even remember the snide comments that were made by both moderators and posters alike when someone dared to ask a question about Angela von zu Liechtenstein.

Last edited:
What’s needed is for people to respect others peoples opinions and agree that Meghan is neither a married up schemer who is corrupting innocent Prince Harry nor is she a faultless Victim who never ever sets a foot wrong and any perceived mistake is not her fault but simply the media with its a diabolical plan to take down or everyone is racists1!1 against her

And that is as likely as me wing invited to a private island to party the night by a handsome Prince;)

I put the people who I know are just posting to get a rise out of Meghan’s fans on ignore. I don’t see them so I don’t feel the need to comment on their posts. I know nothing they are posting will be fair or supportive of Meghan, so why waste the mental energy giving them any thought. It makes viewing the Sussex threads a better experience for me.

Jacqui, I'm serious. How do I get out of here? I messaged a mod and no one has responded. I'm sick of the hypocrisy here. No one says a word when a well know fan and poster of the Princess Victoria of Sweden puts in her daily jibe at Princess Sofia (or when a few posters defend Sofia), but it's just a Sussex problem.

I may have only signed onto the forums last year because I wanted to interact with others during the wedding, but I have been following this forum for years, and can even remember the snide comments that were made by both moderators and posters alike when someone dared to ask a question about Angela von zu Liechtenstein.

In a way, I understand that the sheer volume of posts in Sussex threads make them more difficult to moderate. One snide remark about a royal might not cause a fight if there is only few people there, but with the amount of visitors the Sussex forum gets, it's bound to get out of hand. But at the same time, what's allowed and not allowed should be more balanced. And I understand it is not easy to do that.

The only way to stop this is basically only allow pictures and articles about official engagements and announcements to be posted for now until things die down a bit. So sort of like a newsfeed to keep updated on what is going on with the Sussexes and what they are doing.

Last edited:
For the first time in several months I'm going to comment because this exact issue is one of the two reasons I stopped posting/commenting/interacting here at all. This used to be a very enjoyable place to be and even when posters didn't always agree, there was typically a mutual respect and an "agree to disagree" mentality. Now, however, it has literally become a "Meghan Fan Club" atmosphere and anyone who doesn't toe the line is instantly and brutally slapped down. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a massive fan of the Sussexes just as others aren't major fans of other families. However, I do try hard to live by the "credit where it's due" philosophy and though I might be critical of some things they do or wear, I try to also be as positive as possible when I like something they did or wore. That said, posters shouldn't feel as though they are unable to post their opinions if they are in any way critical or not sugary sweet and glowingly positive.

It's become very apparent that unless your comment is over the top positive and in the camp of the Sussexes can do no wrong, a few posters who are clearly Sussex superfans will be quick to tell you why you're wrong, why you should feel differently, that you clearly have some ridiculous bias against Meghan, that you just might possibly be a racist, etc. and it's really gotten out of hand. Having an opinion that is less than glowingly positive at all times does not make you any of those things. Meghan is no more or less important or wonderful than anyone else and criticism and reservations about her and/or Harry are just as valid and/or warranted as they are about any royal.

The fact that you can almost count down the seconds until a response is posted to rap you on the knuckles or slap you down is really out of control and ridiculous and I suspect it's driven away many more posters than just myself. It's not fun to be here anymore. It's lost that sense of community or a common interest. And to be honest, I have no idea how you fix it other than to either ban the posters who are clearly just here to defend the Sussexes at all costs and drive away posters with other opinions or to keep those threads closed to prevent all comments good or bad or to institute a system of comment approval before they're actually posted which seems like a massive undertaking. Just my two cents, of course, but this is the first thread in a long time that feels like it might be prudent to weigh in.

Well-said!
I too have sometimes been hesitant to post anything on Sussex forums for the reasons you mentioned.

It's at the point where I can almost wager with myself how soon it will be before the thread is closed.
I also know that other royal websites are experiencing similar problems.

Last edited:
I put the people who I know are just posting to get a rise out of Meghan’s fans on ignore. I don’t see them so I don’t feel the need to comment on their posts. I know nothing they are posting will be fair or supportive of Meghan, so why waste the mental energy giving them any thought. It makes viewing the Sussex threads a better experience for me.

I don’t necessarily disagree with this approach but I really do have a completely honest question about it. While I think it’s great that the threads are a better experience for you using this method, why is it unacceptable to have posts that don’t contain only positives and support for Meghan? While she’s certainly not the devil incarnate that some people would make her out to be she’s also not perfect because she’s human and just like any other royal should be subject to both positive/supportive comments and negative/nonsupportive comments. I’m genuinely curious why some posters feel that she shouldn’t ever be subject to anything other than glowing positivity?

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily disagree with this approach but I really do have a completely honest question about it. While I think it’s great that the threads are a better experience for you using this method, why is it unacceptable for there to be nothing but positives and support for Meghan? While she’s certainly not the devil incarnate that some people would make her out to be she’s also not perfect because she’s human and just like any other royal should be subject to both positive/supportive comments and negative/nonsupportive comments. I’m genuinely curious why some posters feel that she shouldn’t ever be subject to anything other than glowing positivity?

I don't think DuchessMia is saying there can't be anything critical. She's saying put people who ALWAYS come in to Sussexes threads to put negativity out there on mute. She didn't say anyone who ever said a negative thing about Meghan. If she's not devil incarnate, then it's unusual for someone who is objective to always be negative about anything she does/says/wears, isn't it? And there are those around as well as much as people complain about her fans. There has been people that come in and post things just to get a reaction out of people, and if they don't succeed at first, they'll quote themselves to keep that conversation going.

And frankly, I don't think there is wrong if someone puts people on mute for saying things they don't like. It's a forum, not real life. If it's not fun, then why can't they change it to their liking? It should be enjoyable. And frankly, if that's a solution that works for people, I don't think the mods will mind it too much. It is, after all, a thread about how to solve this problem.

Last edited:
?

Good for you! :flowers:

I don't think DuchessMia is saying there can't be anything critical. She's saying put people who ALWAYS come in to Sussexes threads to put negativity out there on mute. She didn't say anyone who ever said a negative thing about Meghan. She doesn't have to be perfect for anyone to hate on everything she does or wears or says. And there are those around as well as much as people complain about her fans. There has been people that come in and post things just to get a reaction out of people, and if they don't, they'll quote themselves to keep that conversation going.

This! Prime example right now: the fashion thread today...some people like her outfit, some hate it, some are neutral like me, but it's in a productive way. No one is making loaded statements such as "her hair looks dirty and nasty" (YES, this is a statement made by a few posters who wouldn't dare say something like about other royal women. I have the mind of an elephant. I remember every nasty thing that was said and for the most part, I don't get in the pit. BUT to act like this is all on the fans of the Duchess is laughable at best.

And absolutely no one is saying there can't be criticism of Meghan, what we're saying is make it fair. Don't change the goal post...i.e. don't be a hypocrite if your favourite royal has done something similar in the past and no one made a stink about it.

I was very critical of her for not going to the State banquet since she showed up at Trooping the Color and gave her the side eye on that one.

Last edited:
And absolutely no one is saying there can't be criticism of Meghan, what we're saying is make it fair. Don't change the goal post...i.e. don't be a hypocrite if your favourite royal has done something similar in the past and no one made a stink about it.
That's what frustrates me. Meghan does something, people criticize as if it's this big no no or big deal. Then others show up with receipts and facts saying actually, that's not the case. And when it was previously done by someone else, it wasn't made into a big deal. And I see that in the media reporting as well, so I don't want to say it's just the posters here, but there is absolutely no good reason why it's happening. And that does contribute to a lot of the ill feeling that's happened.

Last edited:
Run from their threads as fast as you can...

I'm neutral on pretty much every RF and I will put them on blast when they deserve it and praise them when credit is due. Personally, I find that this is an approach other posters should take. There is simply no need for essays full of praise or nasty comments. Just stop it. I assume this is a forum full of mostly grown adults so behave like it.

Until this is an approach that is unattainable for some, their threads are going to be closed every 5 seconds.

That's what frustrates me. Meghan does something, people criticize as if it's this big no no or big deal. Then people show up with receipts and facts saying actually, that's not the case. And when it was previously done by someone else, it wasn't made into a big deal. And I see that in the media reporting as well, so I don't want to say it's just the posters here, but there is absolutely no good reason why it's happening. And that does contribute to a lot of the ill feeling that's happened.

It goes on from both ends of the spectrum, though, which is what I was referencing in my post further up this thread. It's as though a significant number of people, with all different viewpoints aren't making any effort to assume good intent from each other, and also aren't really listening to each other. How do you set up rules to encourage or require that? We seem to be at the point now where an assumption of ill intent is the default, and I'm not sure how you get past that.

It goes on from both ends of the spectrum, though, which is what I was referencing in my post further up this thread. It's as though a significant number of people, with all different viewpoints aren't making any effort to assume good intent from each other, and also aren't really listening to each other. How do you set up rules to encourage or require that? We seem to be at the point now where an assumption of ill intent is the default, and I'm not sure how you get past that.

It's a classic case of poisoning the well. I get what you are saying, but it happens because it's been so nasty. I know some feel that those like Meghan are defensive, but has anyone thought about why? It goes back to how unfairly she was attacked from the very beginning. And now there is just zero trust and benefits given to others. It's a long time coming and it'll take a long time to fix.

Last edited:

Doff my hat to you Heather, sincerely.

I haven't been on in ages (for a completely different reason-pertaining to the forum) but I'd like to add my 2 cents. I now just randomly browse every so often. When I first joined, I really enjoyed the back and forth opinions and in doing so, have met many nice folks around the globe, one in particular, in the UK, has brought many smiles to my face....

Before the Sussex wedding, I was one who was full of anticipation for the "main event" but I noticed that or it seemed to me, to becoming a frenzy about Meghan, either you liked her camp or you didn't. I remember one post that Rudolph posted (doesn't matter which) but holy mother of jeepers, I sent him a PM and said I couldn't believe it was like watching him being cyber lynched on this forum and I've seen that not just with Rudolph. I also told him "God help me if I posted what I really thought".

Years ago, I was one who thoroughly enjoyed "following Diana", not on this forum, don't know if it even existed then, over the years slowly I changed my opinion of her and sadly, by the time that pic of her alone on the diving board I wasn't a fan at all. There are those of you on this forum that love her still and I respect that. Truly. I just see someone different. Lordy, I can go and post some negative thought about her on here and warriors will find me LOL !

And that's very much what this Meghan frenzy reminds me of. I think we're all entitled to our opinions, yet, as much as I try to respect others, when I don't agree, I don't need a sermon, I'm just happy to be in the "church" sharing different points of view.

That's probably a nickels worth and I should stop.

I shall now go and post the reason I haven't been on and hope it doesn't open a can of worms YIKES

Last edited:
It's a classic case of poisoning the well. I get what you are saying, but it happens because it's been so nasty. I know some feel that those like Meghan are defensive, but has anyone thought about why? It goes back to how unfairly she was attacked from the very beginning. And now there is just zero trust and benefits given to others. It's a long time coming and it'll take a long time to fix.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I would like to think that there are some positive steps that could be taken here to normalize the threads. Empress Merel's approach is pretty much where I fall--I'm not in love with any royal, and there is not a single royal who gets all positive or all negative from me. I don't think that's an unusual approach on TRF, it's only the Sussex threads where that seems to cause problems.

I don't think DuchessMia is saying there can't be anything critical. She's saying put people who ALWAYS come in to Sussexes threads to put negativity out there on mute. She didn't say anyone who ever said a negative thing about Meghan. If she's not devil incarnate, then it's unusual for someone who is objective to always be negative about anything she does/says/wears, isn't it? And there are those around as well as much as people complain about her fans. There has been people that come in and post things just to get a reaction out of people, and if they don't succeed at first, they'll quote themselves to keep that conversation going.

I completely agree when it’s an instance of those who are here to blatantly troll. I guess my question is more in regard to those who would rush to Meghan’s defense at the first mention of even the most warranted criticism. I mean, I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that if she said the grass was red and the sky was brown and someone here said she was incorrect, others would be quick to try to come up with reasons why that poster is wrong and Meghan is right no matter how wrong she was.

By the same token, it’s okay for posters to have their own opinions and to state them without being beat over the head with reasons why their opinion is wrong, they must be haters, etc. The instance that comes to mind is the NYC baby shower but that’s certainly not the only instance. Some posters commented that the optics of that were bad. It didn’t matter who paid for it, it mattered that it looked bad because most members of the public aren’t royal watchers who would know or care who paid for what and it looked even worse that just days later there was a speech from the Sussex camp about reducing one’s carbon footprint, etc. However, when some posters pointed all that out in what I think was very warranted criticism, they were attacked and beat over the head by the superfans. It wasn’t unfair or unwarranted criticism and would have been exactly the same had it been any other royal but because it was Meghan we were all wrong, racist, haters, or worse.

That’s what’s so frustrating. We hear that criticism is fine as long as it’s fair but when it’s fair we’re attacked for it by the Meghan Can Do No Wrong camp. I can assure you that I, for one, have been happy to post that I hated certain outfit from my favorite royal or thought that the optics or approach taken by some of my favorites was poor. That doesn’t mean I hate them or that I can’t find some positives, too, it just means that it’s okay to not always be glowingly positive and this really needs to be remembered in regard to Meghan, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom