Is there something we can do about the Sussex Threads?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a segue from the main topic, but since we are discussing thread closures—I know sometimes when one comes to a thread that has become very active, there is a natural inclination to respond to an early post without reading through all the pages— and post before seeing a mod’s post to drop a certain topic. This has inadvertently caused some “closed” notices.

I know the mods get stressed and irritated when things get heated, it can be a thankless job sometimes, so I understand why it happens, but sometimes the last straw post doesn’t seem to be a deliberate ignoring of the warning.

Just an observation, I know this isn’t the heart of the problem.:flowers:

Last edited:
Just my two cents worth here. As a lot of the problems lately in the Sussex threads seem to evolve from media articles and what reporters write, it might help to curtail those articles and reporter opinions a bit.

Many, many times, its the link itself that is the subject of a posting. Perhaps a solution would be to change the posting rules to allow links to here or there *only* for the express purpose of clarifying statements made in one's posts and even then, sometimes the links themselves just aren't credible. Links are wonderful too when there are photographs published. When links are the subject of the post and, as we've seen, many links are articles written with the express purpose of getting people up in arms about things, the conversation does veer away from discussing the Sussexes, themselves, and then sounds like over the fence, backyard gossiping.

Hello all,

So I've been contemplating posting this for a while. I want to know if there's something posters can do, or if we can look at doing something as a forum to better support the moderators with the Sussex threads?

They're being closed, for very good reasons, on an almost daily basis and it's frustrating for all involved especially the moderators who must be sick to death of issuing the same information only to be ignored. It's got to the point, that I don't bother to venture into that forum.

Could we look at a set of rules being issued for that forum? Then perhaps repercussions when the rules aren't followed. I know it was be out of the ordinary, but this is the only sub section in the TRF that I have seen attract this much closure. Perhaps a ban on certain provocative news articles being published? Whilst I appreciate a level of freedom of speech, every thread in that section always end up back at the same media circus ending and it's because of usually information posted in articles that come from sources. Or, to an extreme and quite consuming, a post approval in certain threads? I don't know if that's even possible.

I genuinely just want to attempt to help both the moderators, and our users because nobody wants to have the forums shut.

Thank you for this post and your question. I too am disturbed by comments in TRF that exhibit racist, sexist and classist discrimination. My inspiration always when responding to posts in this forum is a quotation from Walt Disney's Bambi: 'my mother always said: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'. Of course, the anonymity of TRF invites a very simple and, shall we say, cheap shot at public figures who have no recourse to protection beyond the various privacy laws which are not applicable to the Internet, that itself has little legal foundation (although this is changing:flowers:). I am struck by the polarization between Duchess of Sussex lovers and haters, that in some ways reminds me of the current political situation in the United States, where families have been torn apart by voter choice. In a recent discussion, I was saddened by a thoughtful American's comment "there is no safe place to discuss politics in the United States". Here, in TRF-land, we should perhaps ask ourselves: why do we come here? Me, I am a social historian so that I find the international aspects of TRF enlightening. Let us try to make TRF a safe space and think of Thumper the rabbit's mother: be nice:flowers:

For the first time in several months I'm going to comment because this exact issue is one of the two reasons I stopped posting/commenting/interacting here at all. This used to be a very enjoyable place to be and even when posters didn't always agree, there was typically a mutual respect and an "agree to disagree" mentality. Now, however, it has literally become a "Meghan Fan Club" atmosphere and anyone who doesn't toe the line is instantly and brutally slapped down. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a massive fan of the Sussexes just as others aren't major fans of other families. However, I do try hard to live by the "credit where it's due" philosophy and though I might be critical of some things they do or wear, I try to also be as positive as possible when I like something they did or wore. That said, posters shouldn't feel as though they are unable to post their opinions if they are in any way critical or not sugary sweet and glowingly positive.

It's become very apparent that unless your comment is over the top positive and in the camp of the Sussexes can do no wrong, a few posters who are clearly Sussex superfans will be quick to tell you why you're wrong, why you should feel differently, that you clearly have some ridiculous bias against Meghan, that you just might possibly be a racist, etc. and it's really gotten out of hand. Having an opinion that is less than glowingly positive at all times does not make you any of those things. Meghan is no more or less important or wonderful than anyone else and criticism and reservations about her and/or Harry are just as valid and/or warranted as they are about any royal.

The fact that you can almost count down the seconds until a response is posted to rap you on the knuckles or slap you down is really out of control and ridiculous and I suspect it's driven away many more posters than just myself. It's not fun to be here anymore. It's lost that sense of community or a common interest. And to be honest, I have no idea how you fix it other than to either ban the posters who are clearly just here to defend the Sussexes at all costs and drive away posters with other opinions or to keep those threads closed to prevent all comments good or bad or to institute a system of comment approval before they're actually posted which seems like a massive undertaking. Just my two cents, of course, but this is the first thread in a long time that feels like it might be prudent to weigh in.

And you don't think you are exaggerating, just a little bit? :ermm: I personally don't see any point in offering my critiques of the Sussexes since they already get more than their fair share from disgruntled RRs, and relentlessly negative Internet trolls. I often offer critical comments about sartorial matters, and I try to be thoughtful in my observations. Many posters who are fans of the Sussexes may be quick to respond to critiques, but I don't see too many unreasonable responses. In any case, there are also a handful of posters who repeatedly bring in negative articles and negative commentary to the Sussex threads, with never anything positive to say. So it's not simply fans of the Sussexes who cause problems.

It's impossible to have intelligent conversations about the Sussexes here and practically everywhere on the Internet. The atmosphere surrounding discussing the Sussexes is very heated for interesting reasons that most people won't stop and examine in themselves. Meanwhile, the Sussexes are simply enjoying their lives, counting their blessings, and looking to give back to others in every way they can. Are they perfect? No, of course they aren't, and I'd bet they would be the first to tell you they aren't perfect.

The relentless, often trivial and too often negative narratives in the media are happening because interest in Meghan, Harry and Archie is extremely high, almost to the boiling point. They sell, which means money for a lot of people, no matter what negative slant or made-up narrative is being peddled.

Last edited:
I think the whole subject is too controversial and I would really be pleased never to read about them again I REALLY would prefer they were not in this forum that is only my opinion and most will not agree but I am sick of them and their absolute ability to cause so much trouble here. Why I have my own view on that but it is too much just me just IMO only

Last edited:
And you don't think you are exaggerating, just a little bit? :ermm: I personally don't see any point in offering my critiques of the Sussexes since they already get more than their fair share from disgruntled RRs, and relentlessly negative Internet trolls. I often offer critical comments about sartorial matters, and I try to be thoughtful in my observations. Many posters who are fans of the Sussexes may be quick to respond to critiques, but I don't see too many unreasonable responses. In any case, there are also a handful of posters who repeatedly bring in negative articles and negative commentary to the Sussex threads, with never anything positive to say. So it's not simply fans of the Sussexes who cause problems.

It's impossible to have intelligent conversations about the Sussexes here and practically everywhere on the Internet. The atmosphere surrounding discussing the Sussexes is very heated for interesting reasons that most people won't stop and examine in themselves. Meanwhile, the Sussexes are simply enjoying their lives, counting their blessings, and looking to give back to others in every way they can. Are they perfect? No, of course they aren't, and I'd bet they would be the first to tell you they aren't perfect.

The relentless, often trivial and too often negative narratives in the media are happening because interest in Meghan, Harry and Archie is extremely high, almost to the boiling point. They sell, which means money for a lot of people, no matter what negative slant or made-up narrative is being peddled.

In all honesty I don’t believe I’m exaggerating in the slightest. Now, in all fairness that may be because I was relentlessly attacked several months ago on a personal level by a “Sussex superfan” after I posted a critical response to something Meghan had said or done (to be honest I don’t now even remember what it was about) and after the thread was closed the person then continued into private messages and when I spoke with a mod about it it was clear that this was not the first time such nonsense had occurred. That day and several days since it’s felt very much like there are a small handful of posters whose only real objective is to shut down anything they perceive to be criticism of Meghan and to drive the critic out. In extreme cases going so far as to do exactly what happened in my situation. So yes, while that might seem an exaggeration to those who haven’t been in that position, as someone who has I can say in all honesty that that’s very much what I believe was the goal that day and remains the goal for that small handful who believe Meghan can do no wrong and always, always feel the need to lecture those who might make a critical comment about exactly why they should believe that, too.

Last edited:
In all honesty I don’t believe I’m exaggerating in the slightest. Now, in all fairness that may be because I was relentlessly attacked several months ago on a personal level by a “Sussex superfan” after I posted a critical response to something Meghan had said or done (to be honest I don’t now even remember what it was about) and after the thread was closed the person then continued into private messages and when I spoke with a kid about it it was clear that this was not the first time such nonsense had occurred. That day and several days since it’s felt very much like there are a small handful of posters whose only real objective is to shut down anything they perceive to be criticism of Meghan and to drive the critic out. In extreme cases going so far as to do exactly what happened in my situation. So yes, while that might seem an exaggeration to those who haven’t been in that position, as someone who has I can say in all honesty that that’s very much what I believe was the goal that day and remains the goal for that small handful who believe Meghan can do no wrong and always, always feel the need to lecture those who might make a critical comment about exactly why they should believe that, too.

Well, I'm not here 24/7, but I have witnessed ridiculous things happen in Sussex threads and related threads involving quite a few posters and mods too. No one is exempt whether directly or indirectly involved, aside from those who have never entered the threads ever. :flowers:

The real culprits are those who delight in pushing buttons, blowing up the threads and getting them closed. But no one involved is exempt from culpability.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. As we now appear to be entering into a circular discussion, it is time to close this thread to prevent further back-and-forths that have plagued the Sussex forum.

Please PM any further concerns to the moderating team. We are currently working on the issue of the Sussex forum, however it may take some time for a realistic working option to come to working fruition.

As an aside, a few of the more inflammatory or unhelpful posts have been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom