The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I don’t necessarily disagree with this approach but I really do have a completely honest question about it. While I think it’s great that the threads are a better experience for you using this method, why is it unacceptable for there to be nothing but positives and support for Meghan? While she’s certainly not the devil incarnate that some people would make her out to be she’s also not perfect because she’s human and just like any other royal should be subject to both positive/supportive comments and negative/nonsupportive comments. I’m genuinely curious why some posters feel that she shouldn’t ever be subject to anything other than glowing positivity?
I don't think DuchessMia is saying there can't be anything critical. She's saying put people who ALWAYS come in to Sussexes threads to put negativity out there on mute. She didn't say anyone who ever said a negative thing about Meghan. If she's not devil incarnate, then it's unusual for someone who is objective to always be negative about anything she does/says/wears, isn't it? And there are those around as well as much as people complain about her fans. There has been people that come in and post things just to get a reaction out of people, and if they don't succeed at first, they'll quote themselves to keep that conversation going.

And frankly, I don't think there is wrong if someone puts people on mute for saying things they don't like. It's a forum, not real life. If it's not fun, then why can't they change it to their liking? It should be enjoyable. And frankly, if that's a solution that works for people, I don't think the mods will mind it too much. It is, after all, a thread about how to solve this problem.
__________________

  #22  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:07 PM
Rena M.'s Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kraków, Poland
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessMia View Post
I put the people who I know are just posting to get a rise out of Meghan’s fans on ignore. I don’t see them so I don’t feel the need to comment on their posts. I know nothing they are posting will be fair or supportive of Meghan, so why waste the mental energy giving them any thought. It makes viewing the Sussex threads a better experience for me.


Good for you!
__________________

__________________
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
  #23  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I don't think DuchessMia is saying there can't be anything critical. She's saying put people who ALWAYS come in to Sussexes threads to put negativity out there on mute. She didn't say anyone who ever said a negative thing about Meghan. She doesn't have to be perfect for anyone to hate on everything she does or wears or says. And there are those around as well as much as people complain about her fans. There has been people that come in and post things just to get a reaction out of people, and if they don't, they'll quote themselves to keep that conversation going.
This! Prime example right now: the fashion thread today...some people like her outfit, some hate it, some are neutral like me, but it's in a productive way. No one is making loaded statements such as "her hair looks dirty and nasty" (YES, this is a statement made by a few posters who wouldn't dare say something like about other royal women. I have the mind of an elephant. I remember every nasty thing that was said and for the most part, I don't get in the pit. BUT to act like this is all on the fans of the Duchess is laughable at best.

And absolutely no one is saying there can't be criticism of Meghan, what we're saying is make it fair. Don't change the goal post...i.e. don't be a hypocrite if your favourite royal has done something similar in the past and no one made a stink about it.

I was very critical of her for not going to the State banquet since she showed up at Trooping the Color and gave her the side eye on that one.
  #24  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
And absolutely no one is saying there can't be criticism of Meghan, what we're saying is make it fair. Don't change the goal post...i.e. don't be a hypocrite if your favourite royal has done something similar in the past and no one made a stink about it.
That's what frustrates me. Meghan does something, people criticize as if it's this big no no or big deal. Then others show up with receipts and facts saying actually, that's not the case. And when it was previously done by someone else, it wasn't made into a big deal. And I see that in the media reporting as well, so I don't want to say it's just the posters here, but there is absolutely no good reason why it's happening. And that does contribute to a lot of the ill feeling that's happened.
  #25  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,750
Run from their threads as fast as you can...

I'm neutral on pretty much every RF and I will put them on blast when they deserve it and praise them when credit is due. Personally, I find that this is an approach other posters should take. There is simply no need for essays full of praise or nasty comments. Just stop it. I assume this is a forum full of mostly grown adults so behave like it.

Until this is an approach that is unattainable for some, their threads are going to be closed every 5 seconds.
  #26  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
That's what frustrates me. Meghan does something, people criticize as if it's this big no no or big deal. Then people show up with receipts and facts saying actually, that's not the case. And when it was previously done by someone else, it wasn't made into a big deal. And I see that in the media reporting as well, so I don't want to say it's just the posters here, but there is absolutely no good reason why it's happening. And that does contribute to a lot of the ill feeling that's happened.
It goes on from both ends of the spectrum, though, which is what I was referencing in my post further up this thread. It's as though a significant number of people, with all different viewpoints aren't making any effort to assume good intent from each other, and also aren't really listening to each other. How do you set up rules to encourage or require that? We seem to be at the point now where an assumption of ill intent is the default, and I'm not sure how you get past that.
  #27  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
It goes on from both ends of the spectrum, though, which is what I was referencing in my post further up this thread. It's as though a significant number of people, with all different viewpoints aren't making any effort to assume good intent from each other, and also aren't really listening to each other. How do you set up rules to encourage or require that? We seem to be at the point now where an assumption of ill intent is the default, and I'm not sure how you get past that.
It's a classic case of poisoning the well. I get what you are saying, but it happens because it's been so nasty. I know some feel that those like Meghan are defensive, but has anyone thought about why? It goes back to how unfairly she was attacked from the very beginning. And now there is just zero trust and benefits given to others. It's a long time coming and it'll take a long time to fix.
  #28  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
For the first time in several months I'm going to comment because this exact issue is one of the two reasons I stopped posting/commenting/interacting here at all. This used to be a very enjoyable place to be and even when posters didn't always agree, there was typically a mutual respect and an "agree to disagree" mentality. Now, however, it has literally become a "Meghan Fan Club" atmosphere and anyone who doesn't toe the line is instantly and brutally slapped down. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a massive fan of the Sussexes just as others aren't major fans of other families. However, I do try hard to live by the "credit where it's due" philosophy and though I might be critical of some things they do or wear, I try to also be as positive as possible when I like something they did or wore. That said, posters shouldn't feel as though they are unable to post their opinions if they are in any way critical or not sugary sweet and glowingly positive.

It's become very apparent that unless your comment is over the top positive and in the camp of the Sussexes can do no wrong, a few posters who are clearly Sussex superfans will be quick to tell you why you're wrong, why you should feel differently, that you clearly have some ridiculous bias against Meghan, that you just might possibly be a racist, etc. and it's really gotten out of hand. Having an opinion that is less than glowingly positive at all times does not make you any of those things. Meghan is no more or less important or wonderful than anyone else and criticism and reservations about her and/or Harry are just as valid and/or warranted as they are about any royal.

The fact that you can almost count down the seconds until a response is posted to rap you on the knuckles or slap you down is really out of control and ridiculous and I suspect it's driven away many more posters than just myself. It's not fun to be here anymore. It's lost that sense of community or a common interest. And to be honest, I have no idea how you fix it other than to either ban the posters who are clearly just here to defend the Sussexes at all costs and drive away posters with other opinions or to keep those threads closed to prevent all comments good or bad or to institute a system of comment approval before they're actually posted which seems like a massive undertaking. Just my two cents, of course, but this is the first thread in a long time that feels like it might be prudent to weigh in.


Doff my hat to you Heather, sincerely.

I haven't been on in ages (for a completely different reason-pertaining to the forum) but I'd like to add my 2 cents. I now just randomly browse every so often. When I first joined, I really enjoyed the back and forth opinions and in doing so, have met many nice folks around the globe, one in particular, in the UK, has brought many smiles to my face....

Before the Sussex wedding, I was one who was full of anticipation for the "main event" but I noticed that or it seemed to me, to becoming a frenzy about Meghan, either you liked her camp or you didn't. I remember one post that Rudolph posted (doesn't matter which) but holy mother of jeepers, I sent him a PM and said I couldn't believe it was like watching him being cyber lynched on this forum and I've seen that not just with Rudolph. I also told him "God help me if I posted what I really thought".

Years ago, I was one who thoroughly enjoyed "following Diana", not on this forum, don't know if it even existed then, over the years slowly I changed my opinion of her and sadly, by the time that pic of her alone on the diving board I wasn't a fan at all. There are those of you on this forum that love her still and I respect that. Truly. I just see someone different. Lordy, I can go and post some negative thought about her on here and warriors will find me LOL !

And that's very much what this Meghan frenzy reminds me of. I think we're all entitled to our opinions, yet, as much as I try to respect others, when I don't agree, I don't need a sermon, I'm just happy to be in the "church" sharing different points of view.

That's probably a nickels worth and I should stop.

I shall now go and post the reason I haven't been on and hope it doesn't open a can of worms YIKES
  #29  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
It's a classic case of poisoning the well. I get what you are saying, but it happens because it's been so nasty. I know some feel that those like Meghan are defensive, but has anyone thought about why? It goes back to how unfairly she was attacked from the very beginning. And now there is just zero trust and benefits given to others. It's a long time coming and it'll take a long time to fix.
I don't disagree with anything you said, but I would like to think that there are some positive steps that could be taken here to normalize the threads. Empress Merel's approach is pretty much where I fall--I'm not in love with any royal, and there is not a single royal who gets all positive or all negative from me. I don't think that's an unusual approach on TRF, it's only the Sussex threads where that seems to cause problems.
  #30  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mokane, United States
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I don't think DuchessMia is saying there can't be anything critical. She's saying put people who ALWAYS come in to Sussexes threads to put negativity out there on mute. She didn't say anyone who ever said a negative thing about Meghan. If she's not devil incarnate, then it's unusual for someone who is objective to always be negative about anything she does/says/wears, isn't it? And there are those around as well as much as people complain about her fans. There has been people that come in and post things just to get a reaction out of people, and if they don't succeed at first, they'll quote themselves to keep that conversation going.
I completely agree when it’s an instance of those who are here to blatantly troll. I guess my question is more in regard to those who would rush to Meghan’s defense at the first mention of even the most warranted criticism. I mean, I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that if she said the grass was red and the sky was brown and someone here said she was incorrect, others would be quick to try to come up with reasons why that poster is wrong and Meghan is right no matter how wrong she was.

By the same token, it’s okay for posters to have their own opinions and to state them without being beat over the head with reasons why their opinion is wrong, they must be haters, etc. The instance that comes to mind is the NYC baby shower but that’s certainly not the only instance. Some posters commented that the optics of that were bad. It didn’t matter who paid for it, it mattered that it looked bad because most members of the public aren’t royal watchers who would know or care who paid for what and it looked even worse that just days later there was a speech from the Sussex camp about reducing one’s carbon footprint, etc. However, when some posters pointed all that out in what I think was very warranted criticism, they were attacked and beat over the head by the superfans. It wasn’t unfair or unwarranted criticism and would have been exactly the same had it been any other royal but because it was Meghan we were all wrong, racist, haters, or worse.

That’s what’s so frustrating. We hear that criticism is fine as long as it’s fair but when it’s fair we’re attacked for it by the Meghan Can Do No Wrong camp. I can assure you that I, for one, have been happy to post that I hated certain outfit from my favorite royal or thought that the optics or approach taken by some of my favorites was poor. That doesn’t mean I hate them or that I can’t find some positives, too, it just means that it’s okay to not always be glowingly positive and this really needs to be remembered in regard to Meghan, too.
  #31  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I completely agree when it’s an instance of those who are here to blatantly troll. I guess my question is more in regard to those who would rush to Meghan’s defense at the first mention of even the most warranted criticism. I mean, I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that if she said the grass was red and the sky was brown and someone here said she was incorrect, others would be quick to try to come up with reasons why that poster is wrong and Meghan is right no matter how wrong she was.

By the same token, it’s okay for posters to have their own opinions and to state them without being beat over the head with reasons why their opinion is wrong, they must be haters, etc. The instance that comes to mind is the NYC baby shower but that’s certainly not the only instance. Some posters commented that the optics of that were bad. It didn’t matter who paid for it, it mattered that it looked bad because most members of the public aren’t royal watchers who would know or care who paid for what and it looked even worse that just days later there was a speech from the Sussex camp about reducing one’s carbon footprint, etc. However, when some posters pointed all that out in what I think was very warranted criticism, they were attacked and beat over the head by the superfans. It wasn’t unfair or unwarranted criticism and would have been exactly the same had it been any other royal but because it was Meghan we were all wrong, racist, haters, or worse.

That’s what’s so frustrating. We hear that criticism is fine as long as it’s fair but when it’s fair we’re attached for it by the Meghan Can Do No Wrong camp.
I certainly think your comments are a bit extreme here in the last couple of post. Just because someone said they mute people, it doesn't mean they reject all criticism. Just because someone likes Meghan, doesn't mean they will agree the grass is red.

As for the second part, everyone has a differing opinion based on different logic. As long as someone is using that, I'm not seeing how it's "attacking" just because they disagree. It's a discussion. And certainly, both sides held their own and said their piece on that, and many other, topics.

Fact of matter is I've been seeing a lot more posts where it's acceptable to make accusations towards the fans than calling anyone a hater. Part of it is calling someone a hater will definitely the post deleted, but not the other way around when people want to criticize fans. Nevermind if the comments are true or not. And that's another thing that's off balance. If it's against forum rules to say haters are blah blah blah, then it should be against forum rule to say fans are blah blah blah.

Until Meghan says the grass is red and someone agrees with it, that's nothing more than hyperbole, which isn't helpful if the goal is trying to find a solution. Just like the claim that posters are attacking each other. Unless there are personal attacks, let's stop using the work "attack" or a form of. That makes the situation worse. Using facts and rationale to have a discussion is not an attack. To me, using those words are a bit inflammatory, especially when tensions are already high and posters are already a bit on edge.
  #32  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Rena M.'s Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kraków, Poland
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
How do I unsubscribe from this forum?
Well, it looks impossible without help of a lawyer

Quote:
If the account has many posts, completely deleting the account can significantly disrupt thread continuity. In that event, we may (if requested and at our discretion) disable your account in some or all of the following ways:Change the user name, remove signature content, subscriptions, avatar and any info from the profile that might be identifying or replace it with fictitious info, change account options to refuse contact and ban the account. Where communication features were used to share information with other individuals (e.g., sending a personal message to another Forum user) we generally cannot remove content. If someone quoted your post, the original user name will be shown as having been quoted (which we cannot purge).
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ork&page=rules
__________________
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
  #33  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,205
I mean I think there are a lot of factors at play that have also been playing out across the royal watching world at large. Meghan brought in a huge influx of younger watchers, especially younger women of color royal watchers. And I think that has led to some toxic interactions with some of the old guard (both among fans and the media). Young people engage with news differently and also with online social spaces differently. And things that never would have been called out before are now too.

As a long time royal watcher of color myself who is younger (and perhaps I will get in trouble for this), I can't say I am shocked by this. I knew things would be toxic when a WOC (specifically a mixed race Black woman) married into the BRF bringing in a different crowd to this community (overall, not just at TRF) leading to a lot of clashes as a result. This literally happens in every fandom/community when POC enter in large numbers.

I am honestly not sure what can be done. Meghan is a deeply polarizing figure, largely through no real fault of her own (although certainly some things could have been dealt with differently by her and her team). Each side is going to feel "wronged" by whatever decision is made, and in that way I feel for the moderators.

I mean I think a lot of this comes down to each of us making a decision to simply not take the bait, so to speak. We all know the posters who cause mischief, so why give them the benefit of our attention? Similarly, there is little need to keep engaging in circular arguments with folks. It is ok to go back and forth with new information and points, but at a certain juncture, learning to simply bow out is necessary. I know this is something I struggle(d) with but it made life much easier once I practiced lol.

It would be a true shame to lose the Sussex sub-forum, regardless. This is an interesting and historic couple and historic time for the BRF. I would like to be able to continue to engage in discussion here about it.
  #34  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
OK...seems like everyone is beating around the bush here. No one is saying that criticism is not welcomed, (i.e.) the Babyshower. The was a hot button topic, but let's be honest, the majority of the frustrations comes from particular posters who do nothing but go into the Sussex threads to post negativity. If you would like me to name names, I will sure do so. From what I can see, not all of the Meghan "fans" on here agree with everything that she does and even among us, we disagree a lot.

What's frustrating here is the overtly critical and nasty posts that no one responding is addressing. It's a handful of posters that disrupts everything. For example, Jacqui and Lumutqueen will be having a civilised discussion on Meghan's fashion choices i.e. UK designers vs. Foreign houses, then someone pops into the thread with a nasty, condescending remark, and what was once a civil conversation between a few posters turns into an all out war because of the interference of one. Then that ONE poster complains to the mods that they are being attacked by the mean Sussex fans, and boom...there goes the thread. IT HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE TIME!

People are beating around he bush here. There are CERTAIN POSTERS that are the problem. How about we address those first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I mean I think there are a lot of factors at play that have also been playing out across the royal watching world at large. Meghan brought in a huge influx of younger watchers, especially younger women of color royal watchers. And I think that has led to some toxic interactions with some of the old guard (both among fans and the media). Young people engage with news differently and also with online social spaces differently. And things that never would have been called out before are now too.

As a long time royal watcher of color myself who is younger (and perhaps I will get in trouble for this), I can't say I am shocked by this. I knew things would be toxic when a WOC (specifically a mixed race Black woman) married into the BRF bringing in a different crowd to this community (overall, not just at TRF) leading to a lot of clashes as a result. This literally happens in every fandom/community when POC enter in large numbers.

I am honestly not sure what can be done. Meghan is a deeply polarizing figure, largely through no real fault of her own (although certainly some things could have been dealt with differently by her and her team). Each side is going to feel "wronged" by whatever decision is made, and in that way I feel for the moderators.

I mean I think a lot of this comes down to each of us making a decision to simply not take the bait, so to speak. We all know the posters who cause mischief, so why give them the benefit of our attention? Similarly, there is little need to keep engaging in circular arguments with folks. It is ok to go back and forth with new information and points, but at a certain juncture, learning to simply bow out is necessary. I know this is something I struggle(d) with but it made life much easier once I practiced lol.

It would be a true shame to lose the Sussex sub-forum, regardless. This is an interesting and historic couple and historic time for the BRF. I would like to be able to continue to engage in discussion here about it.
Ding, ding, ding. If we as posters know those who are causing the mischief, why can't the mods do something about. Ban them form the Sussex threads if you must, because they are the ones causing the drama.

I also find it disingenuous that some people right now are putting this all down the the supporters of the DoS.
  #35  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mokane, United States
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I certainly think your comments are a bit extreme here in the last couple of post. Just because someone said they mute people, it doesn't mean they reject all criticism. Just because someone likes Meghan, doesn't mean they will agree the grass is red.

As for the second part, everyone has a differing opinion based on different logic. As long as someone is using that, I'm not seeing how it's "attacking" just because they disagree. It's a discussion. And certainly, both sides held their own and said their piece on that, and many other, topics.

Fact of matter is I've been seeing a lot more posts where it's acceptable to make accusations towards the fans than calling anyone a hater. Part of it is calling someone a hater will definitely the post deleted, but not the other way around when people want to criticize fans. Nevermind if the comments are true or not. And that's another thing that's off balance. If it's against forum rules to say haters are blah blah blah, then it should be against forum rule to say fans are blah blah blah.

Until Meghan says the grass is red and someone agrees with it, that's nothing more than hyperbole, which isn't helpful if the goal is trying to find a solution. Just like the claim that posters are attacking each other. Unless there are personal attacks, let's stop using the work "attack" or a form of. That makes the situation worse. Using facts and rationale to have a discussion is not an attack. To me, using those words are a bit inflammatory, especially when tensions are already high and posters are already a bit on edge.
I actually would disagree that anything I’ve said is extreme. Particularly because it has become personal and I’ve been personally attacked in a thread in which I was critical of an action of Meghan’s and when the thread was closed, the poster then continued to attack me personally via private message because I had dared to point out that in that particular instance Meghan was in the wrong. It was over the top, extreme, unwarranted, but frankly, typical. And I highly doubt I’m the only person that’s had that experience, particularly when I take into consideration that the mod I spoke with seemed resigned to the fact that it was becoming a routine problem. So I do think it’s fair to use those words and to bring all of that into the discussion given that not just the threads but the private messages are subject to this level of ridiculousness.

Also, I think it’s sad that either side has to “hold their own” because these threads really shouldn’t be about holding your own in a fight because they really shouldn’t be a fight. It’s okay for each poster to have and state their opinion and it really doesn’t always require an argument or a response, even if another poster disagrees.
  #36  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
Well, it looks impossible without help of a lawyer


http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ork&page=rules
Thank you for finding this. I don't give two shits about thread continuity. I just want out of this hypocritical, toxic, cesspool, and to also get some control back over my e-mail address (too many messages from here flooding my inbox).
  #37  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mokane, United States
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Doff my hat to you Heather, sincerely.

I haven't been on in ages (for a completely different reason-pertaining to the forum) but I'd like to add my 2 cents. I now just randomly browse every so often. When I first joined, I really enjoyed the back and forth opinions and in doing so, have met many nice folks around the globe, one in particular, in the UK, has brought many smiles to my face....

Before the Sussex wedding, I was one who was full of anticipation for the "main event" but I noticed that or it seemed to me, to becoming a frenzy about Meghan, either you liked her camp or you didn't. I remember one post that Rudolph posted (doesn't matter which) but holy mother of jeepers, I sent him a PM and said I couldn't believe it was like watching him being cyber lynched on this forum and I've seen that not just with Rudolph. I also told him "God help me if I posted what I really thought".

Years ago, I was one who thoroughly enjoyed "following Diana", not on this forum, don't know if it even existed then, over the years slowly I changed my opinion of her and sadly, by the time that pic of her alone on the diving board I wasn't a fan at all. There are those of you on this form that love her still and I respect that. Truly. I just see someone different. Lordy, I can go and post some negative thought about her on here and warriors will find me LOL !

And that's very much what this Meghan frenzy reminds me of. I think we're all entitled to our opinions, yet, as much as I try to respect others, when I don't agree, I don't need a sermon, I'm just happy to be in the "church" sharing different points of view.

That's probably a nickels worth and I should shop.

I shall now go and post the reason I haven't been on and hope it doesn't open a can of worms YIKES
I hate to hear this. Really, I do. Because I’m very much in the same boat and frankly it’s no fun at all. Particularly when this used to be such a fun place to engage, share, see other opinions, etc. And, totally off topic, but might I ask what your other reason is? You don’t have to tell me and, of course, I haven’t shared my own second reason, but just curious what it might be.
  #38  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
OK...seems like everyone is beating around the bush here. No one is saying that criticism is not welcomed, (i.e.) the Babyshower. The was a hot button topic, but let's be honest, the majority of the frustrations comes from particular posters who do nothing but go into the Sussex threads to post negativity. If you would like me to name names, I will sure do so. From what I can see, not all of the Meghan "fans" on here agree with everything that she does and even among us, we disagree a lot.

What's frustrating here is the overtly critical and nasty posts that no one responding is addressing. It's a handful of posters that disrupts everything. For example, Jacqui and Lumutqueen will be having a civilised discussion on Meghan's fashion choices i.e. UK designers vs. Foreign houses, then someone pops into the thread with a nasty, condescending remark, and what was once a civil conversation between a few posters turns into an all out war because of the interference of one. Then that ONE poster complains to the mods that they are being attacked by the mean Sussex fans, and boom...there goes the thread. IT HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE TIME!

People are beating around he bush here. There are CERTAIN POSTERS that are the problem. How about we address those first.
That's true. It's a sticky situation since some have gotten smart and used other means to circumvent the rule. For example, if they don't like Meghan and saying what they think is going to get them in trouble, then post some opinion piece from an inflammatory figure or an unreliable source as a mouthpiece. I've noticed that more and more.

And as for how the forums are moderate, sometimes it's difficult to tell. Like how many posts does it take for someone to get a warning or ban? It doesn't seem like it's always measurable.
  #39  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:20 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,676
I think Zaira and Heather touched on what I am beginning to think is the crux of the matter: it should be all right to state your opinion, wherever that falls, and after a certain point, you have to move on. Some of the problems seem to arise when either someone absolutely has to have the last word, or when instead of a few people expressing a dissenting opinion to something, there is a pile-on, which takes on an increasingly nasty tone.

And yes, there are posters on both ends of the extreme who pot-stir, or take unpleasant swipes at other posters, which should not be tolerated at all, but sometimes passes, no doubt because of sheer exhaustion on the moderators part, and which leaves behind an unpleasant little smear of ill feeling.

And how do you make rules to cover all that when so much of it is nuance and a matter of perception?

Edited for clarity
  #40  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
OK...seems like everyone is beating around the bush here. No one is saying that criticism is not welcomed, (i.e.) the Babyshower. The was a hot button topic, but let's be honest, the majority of the frustrations comes from particular posters who do nothing but go into the Sussex threads to post negativity. If you would like me to name names, I will sure do so. From what I can see, not all of the Meghan "fans" on here agree with everything that she does and even among us, we disagree a lot.

What's frustrating here is the overtly critical and nasty posts that no one responding is addressing. It's a handful of posters that disrupts everything. For example, Jacqui and Lumutqueen will be having a civilised discussion on Meghan's fashion choices i.e. UK designers vs. Foreign houses, then someone pops into the thread with a nasty, condescending remark, and what was once a civil conversation between a few posters turns into an all out war because of the interference of one. Then that ONE poster complains to the mods that they are being attacked by the mean Sussex fans, and boom...there goes the thread. IT HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE TIME!

People are beating around he bush here. There are CERTAIN POSTERS that are the problem. How about we address those first.
Yes, I see a need for very strict moderation for a time and and then, even banning some problematic posters who cause the Moderators too much work.
Hats off to the Moderators for their extra efforts; I think they are doing the right thing in taking a break and affording themselves and us readers a time of calm.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
There's something about Japan that I love. PaulG Imperial Family of Japan 15 01-08-2012 05:11 PM
"There is Something about Crown Princess Mary" by Emma Tom (2005) Ethel Royal Library 49 12-26-2006 05:57 AM




Popular Tags
abdication alqasimi anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones belgian royal belgian royal family bridal gown canada chittagong coronavirus countess of snowdon cover-up current events dna duke of cambridge dutch royal family dutch royals facts family tree fantasy movie future genealogy hill historical drama house of bernadotte house of grimaldi house of orange-nassau introduction jumma kent king philippe list of rulers lithuania lithuanian palaces mail marriage maxima mbs mountbatten nobel prize northern ireland official visit popularity prince charles prince daniel princely family of monaco prince of wales pronunciation queen mathilde queen paola romanov family rown royal spouse royalty royal wedding royal wedding gown settings south korea spanish royal startling new evidence state visit stuart sweden swedish history thailand tips tracts united kingdom visit from sweden von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×