Having trouble seeing avatars

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acdc1

Heir Presumptive
City
somewhere in
Country
United States
Am I the only one having trouble seeing avatars? I can only see the mods, all other ones have this white square with an x on it. I've never had this trouble before.

I can see your avatar just fine, but I did notice that a some of the moderator and admin avatars have disappeared. I wonder if the difference has to do with whether people are using custom avatars or getting them from the galleries.

It's funny, because I can see mine now, but in five minutes I might not be able to, it happened a couple of minutes ago. I also thought that you could see the ones from the galleries, but not the custom made avatars. It's just odd because I've never had this problem.

I can't see yours at the moment. EDit: Nor my own - but I can see Elspeth's.

I can't see them either. Neither can I see mine.

I can't see Tosca's but I can see Norwegianne's. Weird.

I'll let Andy know to have a look at this thread. We seem to have a couple of stray gremlins wandering around the forum.

At the moment I see all your avatars. But in the other threads I can't see for example agm or Acid Burn's avatars.

Btw. at the moment I can't see my own avatar which I saw few minutes ago.

Last edited:
I can't see any avatars at the moment, Mods or regular. It kind of flucuates between threads whether I can see them or whether I can't. The boxes are starting to get on my nerves.

I haven't been having this problem for the last couple of hours. Is anyone else still seeing red x's instead of avatars?

i had trouble seeing my avatar the other day, but i'm connecting this to the Error 500 that i kept getting last week. maybe it's an after-effect of the server move?

i had trouble seeing my avatar the other day, but i'm connecting this to the Error 500 that i kept getting last week. maybe it's an after-effect of the server move?

That's sort of what I'm thinking. I haven't had trouble seeing any avatars at all today.

I'm also having a problem with my Avatar, every time I log onto the site for a new session and locate one of my posts my Avatar isn't displaying, only the grey box with red cross. I have to go into my profile and upload it all over again.

I've managed to locate this thread but as yet, no answer seems to have been found ?

It seems to be OK for most people; I haven't been seeing the red x's since we had a system glitch a couple of days ago. Are you uploading directly from your computer or via a photo-hosting site?

Onassis Line, I tried to save your avatar to my computer and upload it from there, but your avatar isn't showing; I'm just getting a generic pattern. I managed to save RhapsodyBrat's avatar OK, which I assume is also a custom avatar, so I'm not sure what the problem is with yours. Could you post it as a photo or an attachment in a post and I'll have another go at uploading it?

Onassis Line, I tried to save your avatar to my computer and upload it from there, but your avatar isn't showing; I'm just getting a generic pattern. I managed to save RhapsodyBrat's avatar OK, which I assume is also a custom avatar, so I'm not sure what the problem is with yours. Could you post it as a photo or an attachment in a post and I'll have another go at uploading it?

Elspeth thank you for your reply, this will be fun, post as a photo eh, no better time to learn how to do that I guess. :ohmy:

I hope I've managed this, if not please do bear with me while I experiment !

YIPPEEEEEEEE !!! I did it.

Attachments

• msn_22.jpg
    msn_22.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Congratulations!

I saved it on my computer, and it saved as a picture as it should have done, so I used it to replace your avatar (which was showing as a red x in the admin control panel), and it's now showing as a picture, so I hope that sorts it out OK. If you need to upload it again for any reason, you might want to upload it from your post here rather than from however you were doing it before.

Elspeth again, thank you for your kind assistance here. I had uploaded the avatar from my computer but will use the one above should I have any further problems.

And, I've also learnt one method of posting photographs, so can't be all bad :lol:

i think i'm having trouble with avatars again. at home, i don't see a lot of other people's avatars, like Redfern's for example. but right now i'm here at an Internet cafe and i can see some of them, Redfern's included. i've assumed others really don't have one. mine is ok, though.

Are you still having the problem? So far we aren't getting other complaints, although that might not mean anything.

^ i can see several other avatars now, but i've given up on others. i've cleared my cache and all, so i can really pinpoint where the problem is (my connection or cache, etc.).

The moderator's avatars are different! When did this change, and why?

A few days ago. Andy has changed the software settings with the aim of gradually standardising the Mod/Admin avatars across the various Social Knowledge sites.
The rectangular avatars don't conform to certain display limitations in some areas so the new larger square avatar was introduced to allow the rectangles to be phased out over time.

Have a look at the Friends list on your profile, acdc, and you'll see that the rectangular avatars aren't displaying as large as the square ones. Also, Andy is redesigning the portal pages of his sites, and there's going to be a "Meet the Members" section where a bunch of random avatars are displayed which can click through to the member profiles. You can see the layout on this page of one of his other sites:

Features : U2 Interference - U2 Fans, Pop Culture Webzine, & More

(scroll down to the bottom right). In order to fit in the rectangular block, the avatars need to be square.

The photo-of-the-month representatives will also be switching to the square avatars once we can get them uploaded to the galleries.

I'm still trying to get used to this square one of mine. :D

Last edited:
:previous: Does this mean that our minimum avatar size is still 80x80 pixels but we can deviate now from the 160x80 pixels?

Yes, since you're a PoM rep, you can go with a 120x120 avatar if you want to. It'll make your profile in other members' Friends lists look better. The software won't let you upload an avatar from your computer that's larger than 80x80; you'll have to get the larger avatars from the PoM rep avatar gallery once we've uploaded some of the larger ones. Alternatively, you can make yourself some 120x120 avatars and PM one of the admins to ask to have them uploaded to the PoM avatar gallery.

Update: Andy has adjusted the size limits for PoM Rep avatars, so you should be able to upload the 120x120 versions directly from your computer as well as using the galleries.

Back
Top Bottom