Creating and Uploading Avatars

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm wondering about something... When I create avatars and make sure they're the right size etc. I ran into problems when I upload them here. Is there some kind of extra compression used on this forum when one uploads an image? The avatars are crisp and clear before I upload them but then some kind of algorithm is being used and boom - the avatar comes out smudgy and blurry. A funny thing happened when I tried to change the avatar yesterday. The one I had here before seemed okay but after trying out new pics I uploaded the old one back to my user profile and noticed that the image quality worsened considerably. I would really like it if the image quality stayed the same as I intended it.

I just realized the 80x80 avatar is being resized into a bigger avatar that is visible in the discussions (and which will also look blurrier than the original since it is upscaled). Why? Wouldn't it be easier and simpler if the users could upload an avatar in size 100x100 (or certain kB size) and as long as it would fulfill those requirements, it would be the size that would be used. No extra compressions, no scaling and no blurry pics that look bad. That's how it is usually done on several message boards.

It would be great if someone in charge could answer this one.

How are you uploading them?
If you upload avatars as thumbnails then it should be a case of what you see is what you get. I've not encountered a compression issue before.
80x80 is the designated size for member avatars; they can be smaller but not larger.

Administrator,

I would like to change my avatar from Anne Bolyn to Balmoral Castle. How do I do that, please?

Thanks for any help,
Jazz

Jazz, here's the relevant part from our FAQs, hope that helps :flowers:

How do I set signatures, avatars and profile pictures?

You can set and change your signature, avatar and profile picture in the User Control Panel (providing the administrator has made these options available).

For signatures, click on 'Edit Signature' under the 'Settings and Options' area of the navigation bar within the User CP.

To select an existing or upload a new avatar, click on 'Edit Avatar'.

To upload a profile picture, click on 'Edit Profile Picture' in the 'Your Profile' section.

The User Control Panel can be reached through the "User CP" link top left!

If you've created an avatar of Balmoral Castle yourself, it's as easy as choosing an existing one from our galleries.

How do you create an avatar double border?
I tried the steps in the thread but didn't work.

I have a Picture I really want to use as an Avatar at some point, but it has a white background. Will it automatically aquire a black border like Catharina's if I use it? It's not from this site, if that's any help.

:previous:

No, you have to add the border manually. If you don't know how to do that or if you don't have the correct programs, you can pm me the picture, I'll do it for you.

PR :flowers:

:previous: Thanks. I don't know how to add a border. I'll send the picture to you in a private message.

Last edited:
Is it considered bad form on this forum to change your avatar? By that I mean are you supposed to keep the same one you started with? I'm asking because I just changed mine and I don't know if that's frowned upon.

Last edited:
Noble Consort Ming said:
Is it considered bad form on this forum to change your avatar? By that I mean are you supposed to keep the same one you started with? I'm asking because I just changed mine and I don't know if that's frowned upon.

Certainly not, think I've changed mine almost every month since I joined which was 2005! :)

^Thanks so much for answering. I thought I would keep my original avatar forever since I took my name from the picture but I couldn't resist using this photo of the former Queen Hope of Sikkim with little Princess Hope.

I see there are members with bigger avatars then 80x80. Is that a moderator-only feature :flowers:

:previous:

Administrators, Moderators and Bloggers can have avatars with a size of 120x120 :flowers:

I wish my avatar appear bigger. How do I?

And I wanted in my signature appear the name of my blogs instead of links.

I wish my avatar appear bigger. How do I?

And I wanted in my signature appear the name of my blogs instead of links.

About the avatar: I don't think it can look bigger:flowers: There is a limit 40x 40 cm i think

About the avatar: I don't think it can look bigger:flowers: There is a limit 40x 40 cm i think

That's correct, and I do believe that only Moderators and Bloggers have larger avatars. I've read that the standard avatars are 80x80cm, but I could be wrong.

Blog Real, to change your links to words in your signature, all you need to do is firstly type in .

The end result should be something like this:

[URL=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qYYobdP2NCU/U9ebSrhsdYI/AAAAAAABdY0/HQWwgryDYSY/s1600/ibiza05_ampliacion.jpg] Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist on holiday in Ibiza

I hope this makes sense. :flowers:

I couldn't do it. It's very complicated.

: Sad:

I couldn't do it. It's very complicated.

: Sad:

The best way to get that result is to click on the icon that allows you to insert a link, that world globe with the paperclip (at least I call it a paperclip).
Type/paste the link of your blog in the address bar and it should be done.

[ URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f19/creating-and-uploading-avatars-18127-5.html" ] http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f19/creating-and-uploading-avatars-18127-5.html [ /URL]

The bold part must be the URL of your blog and I have left blank spaces for emphasis. I hope this helps :flowers:.

Last edited:
The best way to get that result is to click on the icon that allows you to insert a link, that world globe with the paperclip (at least I call it a paperclip).
Type/paste the link of your blog in the address bar and it should be done.

[ URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f19/creating-and-uploading-avatars-18127-5.html" ] http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f19/creating-and-uploading-avatars-18127-5.html [ /URL]

The bold part must be the URL of your blog and I have left blank spaces for emphasis. I hope this helps :flowers:.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to do that.

How can i do moving avatar... anyone help please
Thanks

How do you change your picture in your avatar?

I would like to change my picture that appears above my name in my messages. I can't remember how I put it there in the first place. My plan was to change it ever so often, and I have finally found another picture I like. Thanks.

You click USER CP at the top bottom on the left, then you click on "edit avatar" and you follow the instructions.....

Its on every page near the top left in the links highlighted in blue with white lettering. Just look down from the main header that says "The Royal Forums" in big letters. :D Its listed as User CP.

Its on every page near the top left in the links highlighted in blue with white lettering. Just look down from the main header that says "The Royal Forums" in big letters. :D Its listed as User CP.

Thank you!!! I see it. There is a beautiful picture of Kate I want to use as my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom