An appeal from a poster.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Muhler, sometimes people don't know the correct questions to ask, to know or get across what kind of info or who they want to know about. That's another reason articles and translations are important to have on the site. If they are complete newbies on a subject, they have no idea who or what to ask about, other than British royals or whatever the country monarchs or nobles they need. The posts, translations and histories are important and needed! Thank you!

:previous: Then perhaps you should have a look at Gorm the Old. The first (official) Danish king, from the 900. His bones were found some fifteen years ago IRRC and investigated.

:previous:
:previous: I agree. It's preferable to visit a forum with a generally positive attitude. Where the keywords are fun, entertaining, informative and interesting.
That encourages more to join.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be able to discuss controversies in a calm, rational manner. And sometimes it's beneficial turning things around 180 degrees and become the devils advocate. Also when it's about one you like or even admire.
The royals are after all only humans - and that's what makes them so interesting.

Last edited:
Welcome to TRF Oldwest61

One thing I found out quickly here is that there is a vast amount of information regarding just about any aspect of royalty from genetics and lineages to whimsical topics such as musing about who a certain royal should marry and are the latest fashions a hit or miss.

If you are asked questions that are vague, it wouldn't hurt to steer them in the direction of TRF as after one gets accustomed to getting around (which is pretty easy), its just a matter of time until you find the area you're interested in. Personally, I found it fascinating to follow the thread on the reburial of Richard III's remains. As TRF has been active since 2001-2002(?), the conversations in that particular thread were ongoing from the discovery of Richard's remains to the reburial. It sparked an interest for me in that time period. These forums here are quite an archive of information.

One very positive aspect of being here is that there are people here that are very knowledgeable about things and they're more than happy to answer questions and offer information.

So, grab a drink, sit back and relax and enjoy the forums here. Hopefully you'll get hooked like I did.

Something that comes to mind: I'm always really glad when I stumble upon interesting posts that are insightful and well written. But finding them isn't easy. Would it be possible to have some sort of additional space in the forums where these kind of posts could be posted as well? I would hang out there a lot!

What a scathingly, brilliant idea. Perhaps an area here in the Community forums could be created and called "Where on TRF would I find information on....l" or something similar. It does get frustrating to spend a long time searching for something specific especially when first joining TRF. Those of us that have spent time here and pretty much know where things are tucked away can assist and post links to the areas or suggestions where to look.

That's a great idea. :)

I am unsure what you mean, xenobia? A spot for interesting posts? It is an interesting idea, but who is to decide what is interesting and what not? And what is interesting to you may not be interesting to somebody else. As a result such a forum would be rather abritrary and perhaps create more chaos, not less.

Most forums will have a map where the topics of a forum are listed logically. If you can not find something there is the 'general questions' threads in community forum. But a seperate thead for such questions may be a good idea.

Welcome to TRF Oldwest61

One thing I found out quickly here is that there is a vast amount of information regarding just about any aspect of royalty from genetics and lineages to whimsical topics such as musing about who a certain royal should marry and are the latest fashions a hit or miss.

If you are asked questions that are vague, it wouldn't hurt to steer them in the direction of TRF as after one gets accustomed to getting around (which is pretty easy), its just a matter of time until you find the area you're interested in. Personally, I found it fascinating to follow the thread on the reburial of Richard III's remains. As TRF has been active since 2001-2002(?), the conversations in that particular thread were ongoing from the discovery of Richard's remains to the reburial. It sparked an interest for me in that time period. These forums here are quite an archive of information.

One very positive aspect of being here is that there are people here that are very knowledgeable about things and they're more than happy to answer questions and offer information.

So, grab a drink, sit back and relax and enjoy the forums here. Hopefully you'll get hooked like I did.
Osipi and Muhler, thank you for the time you took to reply to my post(s). Since I have not actually been immersed and submerged in the royal pool (lol), I thought I would bring up a couple of points for the community to discuss, that perhaps may help make changes in some ways to ease finding aids. I don't know if there are just lists of each nobility and monarchy's history and lineage (a summary or index of sorts), with names, dates, spouses, children, which kings were ruling when they lived, etc., etc., so that a newbie might be able to connect to the exact person he/she wants to know about, then go into the detailed info and articles about the person. Is there such an area, or is it hit or miss to find a person? Still newbie here, and looking around....Thank you!

One of my favorite quotes:
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up!" - Will Rogers, Cherokee Cowboy

:previous: Then perhaps you should have a look at Gorm the Old. The first (official) Danish king, from the 900. His bones were found some fifteen years ago IRRC and investigated.

:previous:
:previous: I agree. It's preferable to visit a forum with a generally positive attitude. Where the keywords are fun, entertaining, informative and interesting.
That encourages more to join.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be able to discuss controversies in a calm, rational manner. And sometimes it's beneficial turning things around 180 degrees and become the devils advocate. Also when it's about one you like or even admire.
The royals are after all only humans - and that's what makes them so interesting.
Muhler, I will check out Gorm The Old, as I think, if I remember right, he may be an ancestor of mine....Part of my lineage goes back to Lady Elizabeth Brooke, a member of the Lords Cobham family (she married Sir Thomas Wyatt - the Elder I think off top of my head), and her lineage goes back through the royals. Another lineage of mine, the Mannings, goes back to and through the Kings of Ireland. Thats a question: I haven't yet seen anything on the Ancient kings of Ireland, Scotland, and several other places. Has anyone written anything about them? Still looking...Thanks!

I am unsure what you mean, xenobia? A spot for interesting posts? It is an interesting idea, but who is to decide what is interesting and what not? And what is interesting to you may not be interesting to somebody else. As a result such a forum would be rather abritrary and perhaps create more chaos, not less.

Most forums will have a map where the topics of a forum are listed logically. If you can not find something there is the 'general questions' threads in community forum. But a seperate thead for such questions may be a good idea.
Marengo, Thank you! From a newbie standpoint, I take Xenobia's idea as a post with much factual information about a person or lineage or whatever, be added to a single (Facts? Historic?) thread, about either the subject or person in question. Is this correct Xenobia?
Muhler, you are correct. We should be able to have a scholarly, adult discussion, concerning controverises in the royals - that's the only way to prove or disprove stories, legends and myths associated with the subject. The sources that defined each person's POV should be added to the discussion, so that everyone can see where whence the info came. It is not bashing the royals, nor anyone else, unless a person decides to let the subject anger them and gets personal. No one but the person who gets angry can change that fact, and then it doesn't change the discussion, just shows immaturity on the angry person's part.

Oldwest61, I tried to send this to you via private message but for some reason or the other, it wouldn't send so I'll post it here.

The way things are broken down into categories here make it easier to seek and find whatever you're looking for. General topics such as weddings, genealogy etc have their own extensive list of different topics. Country specific topics (divided into reigning and non-reigning) usually have a history area within it.

I like how you've found a thread on Gorm the Old. Just by posting a question sometimes can open the gates for a flood of information and is a place to add any more information you've found. I've come to regard this forum as a huge archive with an immense wealth of information.

I joined in 2008 because of a google search for "silly ascot hats" and was directed here to TRF. What I knew about British royalty mostly came from scanning the cover of the tabloids in the grocery check out line. Because of this website and the people I've met here and interacted with in discussions, I surprisingly found myself recently in a pretty involved debate with a member on whether or not King Edward VIII naturally retained his HRH after he abdicated in the British Titles and Styles thread. I said no as he went from an HRH to HM and then at abdication to nothing and the other side says that he retained always his HRH as a son of a monarch. Needless to say, the question still isn't answered in full but we did discover that this was a heated discussion also at the time of the abdication between members of Parliament and those that debated this kind of thing and the links to those discussions found and posted in that thread. :D

This place has been wonderful for fulfilling my ambition to learn something new everyday and I've met many wonderful friends here that have guided me, corrected me when I was wrong and explained why. I was able to really get the biggest experience I could from things like William and Kate's wedding in 2011 because I had people to talk to about the various aspects of a royal wedding from the seating order of precedence to what the meaning of the flowers in Kate's bouquet represented. All that information never goes away too. Its archived.

Once you get situated here and perhaps get your private messages working, I'll send you a list of websites I've found that you might like also regarding history and archaeology as they are among my interests too.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions and PM me if you can't find something and I'll do what I can to help you find it.

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom