Crown Princess Märtha

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What was the reason of her death?

Crown Princess Martha died from cancer.

Source:

Charlotte Zeepvat, "The Royal House of Norway - A Family Album," Royalty Digest Quarterly, 2018, no. 1, p. 33.

Well, according to King Harald, The Royal Court and several Norwegian authors, she died of these reasons:

From 1946 to her death in 1954, she suffered from various illnesses, such as, sciatica and jaundice. During this period, she was frequently hospitalized, and spent some recuperative time in Florida. She had several remissions, but never fully recovered from it. After another attack in early March 1954, she was again hospitalized. - And on March 21th, the family celebrated the CP couple’s silver wedding anniversary at the hospital.
She died quietly on April 5th at the Rikshospitalet, surrounded by her husband CP Olav, her father-in-law King Haakon VII, her children, her sister Princess Margaretha, and her brother-in-law Prince Axel. Her brother Prince Carl Bernadotte was delayed by the weather.
The cause of death was (according to King Harald and The Royal Court) hepatitis, and the infection had occurred after a Blood transfusion - in connection with an operation in the United States during the war years.
Her death led to an outpouring of public grief.

Last edited:
Thank you for the correction. I learn a lot from these forums!

A lot of sources state she died from cancer, including Crown Princess Martha's Wikipedia entry. Have you considered correcting it?

Finally Atlantic Crossing. I believe it's already premiered in Norway.

Atlantic Crossing will be a worthwhile program to see in the spring.

Last edited:
Prince Carl's was such a happy, close-knit family. It's heartbreaking what happened to them.

OT but I was shocked to discover only this year that Märtha & Olav had to fight for their relationship for more than five years because his parents were afraid that a Swedish princess would be to much for the Norwegians to stomach and because they were first cousins.

Prince Carl's was such a happy, close-knit family. It's heartbreaking what happened to them.

Not too bad, considering quoth Ingeborg: "I married a stranger."

I'm sure they were, but then Astrid was a very anxious and shy child who thought her mother favored Märtha and her brother, Märtha seems to have been at least anxious about her looks and not quite as confident as Astrid thought, and Carl Jr. being the spoiled baby boy didn't seem to help him. Family stuff. :whistling:

OT but I was shocked to discover only this year that Märtha & Olav had to fight for their relationship for more than five years because his parents were afraid that a Swedish princess would be to much for the Norwegians to stomach and because they were first cousins.

This actually lends some credence to the side of Olav being Haakon's son. Because first cousins marrying is one thing, but first cousins being hypocritical and telling their child he can't do the same thing is, well. Like Harald said. "Haven't you noticed everyone around here is a little funny-looking?" :lol: I think I remember hearing Olav and Märtha actually did go consult the 1920's equivalent of a geneticist to see if it would be okay.

Not too bad, considering quoth Ingeborg: "I married a stranger."

I'm sure they were, but then Astrid was a very anxious and shy child who thought her mother favored Märtha and her brother, Märtha seems to have been at least anxious about her looks and not quite as confident as Astrid thought, and Carl Jr. being the spoiled baby boy didn't seem to help him. Family stuff. :whistling:

This actually lends some credence to the side of Olav being Haakon's son. Because first cousins marrying is one thing, but first cousins being hypocritical and telling their child he can't do the same thing is, well. Like Harald said. "Haven't you noticed everyone around here is a little funny-looking?" :lol: I think I remember hearing Olav and Märtha actually did go consult the 1920's equivalent of a geneticist to see if it would be okay.
There were more concerns about genetics and inbreeding, later on. So its quite possible that 2 first cousins who married might feel it wasn't a good idea for their children to marry first cousins.

Did Martha and Olav have to get consent from their respective churches that it was religiously acceptable for first cousins to wed?

Did Martha and Olav have to get consent from their respective churches that it was religiously acceptable for first cousins to wed?

I don't remember a thing about Maud and Carl needing any kind of dispensation (or further back, Victoria and Albert) so I'm going to say that Protestant churches do not seem to care and this holds true for Märtha and Olav.

Europe in general has always cared less about cousin marriage than the Catholic or Orthodox churches, or the US, where it's probably still illegal in some (many?) states.

The churches of Norway and Sweden were state churches at the time and followed the national laws which had no prohibition against first cousins marrying each other.

How was the relationship between Martha and Margaretha who married Prince Axel of Denmark , the only Son of Prince Valdemar and Princess Marie who did a Royal Wedding .

In Queen Astrid story books it was written that here parents had to leave their house (money problem) and with her diamond Ring Princess Ingeborg wrote on a Window she hoped that the followers should be so happy as they were.

Last edited:
How was the relationship between Martha and Margaretha who married Prince Axel of Denmark , the only Son of Prince Valdemar and Princess Marie who did a Royal Wedding .

In Queen Astrid story books it was written that here parents had to leave their house (money problem) and with her diamond Ring Princess Ingeborg wrote on a Window she hoped that the followers should be so happy as they were.
From what I've read the relationship between the adult sisters was warm and very close. As was their relationship to their parents and their rascal brother. Margaretha, or "Tante Ta" as she was called by her younger relatives, stepped in after the deaths of her sisters to offer support, comfort and a motherly figure to her nieces and nephews. She did the same for her cousin Gustav VI Adolf after the death of their respective partners and by all accounts remained the heart of her extended family until her death in 1977.

Crown Princess Martha and her three children were on the SS American Legion.

During her trip to the United States, Crown Princess Martha and her lady-in-waiting were indicted into the Delta Zeta sorority as a gesture of goodwill.
Did the press give any negative reports on this because a lady-in-waiting was not the equivalent of a future Queen Consort?

During her trip to the United States, Crown Princess Martha and her lady-in-waiting were indicted into the Delta Zeta sorority as a gesture of goodwill.
Did the press give any negative reports on this because a lady-in-waiting was not the equivalent of a future Queen Consort?

Most Americans who are inducted into fraternities and sororities are not royalty. I doubt anyone minded.

When did Princess Martha come to Norway? Did she have a Lady in Waiting? Was there another Princess in Oslo Norway from about 1912-1922?

When did Princess Martha come to Norway? Did she have a Lady in Waiting? Was there another Princess in Oslo Norway from about 1912-1922?

She came in 1929 to marry Olav and become the Crown Princess. I'm sure she had a lady-in-waiting, although I don't know who. Prior to that the royal family consisted of King Haakon, Queen Maud, and the Crown Prince. No princesses.

She came in 1929 to marry Olav and become the Crown Princess. I'm sure she had a lady-in-waiting, although I don't know who. Prior to that the royal family consisted of King Haakon, Queen Maud, and the Crown Prince. No princesses.
Funnily enough Märtha was a princess of Norway between her birth in 1901 and the dissolution of the double monarchy in 1905.

I believe my great grandmother was a Lady in Waiting to the Princess from about 1910-1922. Her name was Borghild Marie.

Märtha would have only been 9 years old and in Sweden in 1910, so you might need to double-check the dates. Or the place.

My grandmother was a year older. We are assuming from the stories and pictures she had that she was lady in waiting to Princess Martha or her sister. She talked of how she was good friends with the princess and told stories of the many things they did. She also talked about how they were kept away from the media.

Back
Top Bottom