Princess Lalla Salma's role in Morocco and the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
;Maybe she is not passionate about being in the media all the time..And by the way, adopting a cause does not necessarily mean that the person is intelligent.

That she graduated from that Engineering School and had to do two years of intensive Advanced Mathematics courses before getting to that school is an indication of her brain capacities...And if she wants to be a GOOD mother, that is still a noble job.

Also, you need to know that the Moroccan Palace has a very heavy strict protocol..and we do not know exactly the dynamics between the sisters in law and her...we do not know what she is allowed to do...

I think people here are just frustrated because they want to see more pics of her...

Last edited by a moderator:
she is a first lady. past studies and mum job aren't enough for a first lady with strong personalty and who is expected to give lot and many things different to her country.

u think a strict protocol, someone else can say she is happy that way and it's her own choice, can't be? :rolleyes: i wonder why the protocol allow her being a hostess and never do good job herself alone. i don't believe the protocol don't want show best image of her :D
rania pics database? u know it!
me, no. it's not kind of pages which interest me :p

Last edited:
We don't really know if it is a personal choice. However, unlike other wives of the Kings of Morocco Lalla Salma does make public appearances, so perhaps she is testing the waters. It is not really certain whether she is holding herself back or being advised to restrain herself. Whatever the case may be, it will be up to her to create a role for herself since their has never been a traditional public role for the Princess Consort of Morocco.

I really wish that she would do something interesting, especially something focusing around her studies. I wonder if she realizes what an amazing precedent she the opportunity to set?

I think it's great for her to focus on her son. I know that Lalla Maryam was more public.Does Lalla Salma have any charity/cause that she is involved in maybe out of the public eye?

she is not involved in any charity that we know of.

all these things are new for her, i think that she is enjoying the wealth and prestige .
i just hope that it wont take her too long to focus on something else,
i mean i kind of understand her, she was from a very modest family and all of a sudden she became the kings wife she is still discovering everything that it comes with .

or maybe again she is very shy and can't make public speaches because as we know any heavy involvement in a field requires speaches especially if the person in question is a first lady.

One has to remember (if one didn't already) that She's in Africa and In African the role of the Monarchs Wife indeed has specified tasks and so on. The Way an African Women would show her interests in doing things would be different. ALso she would have to bear in mind that she is indeed to be noted for her achievements but not to upstage her husband (not that Lalla Salma has.) If one tries to attend to the aforementioned, one would hav one's hands full.

The Other thing is that Moroccan Women have for centuries been fighting for change, in their various ways. The changes have mostly been to fully reinstate Shari'ah, thereby educating those who haven't the knowledge. The result a significantly lower percentage in terms of ill-education.

Also working hard to decrease the high percentage of high unemployment amongst many of the youth. So in that thumbs up to the Many of Moroccan women whom throughout the Ages have fought for justice and a truely Islamic Country.

Also thumbs up for Lalla Salma, because of her roles as Mother, KMVI's wife and an example of the Mulslim Woman today, some are encouraged by her tending to the aforesaid as best she can.:) :) :)

zineb said:
i agree humera. so far she doesn't show concern to certain cause/causes or being an active first lady. what she did show well is her passion in changing caftans, suits and jewelleries. that's odd for a young lady with brillant studies. it doesn't reflect either the intelligence which some members spoke about :p
if salma reads this forum , i like to ask her if she is conscious on the change women in her country seeks for since years? and if so what kind of model she shows to girls in her country, be active or simply wife and mother?

Last edited:
what i have never understood is why the King's sisters and female relatives can be active and his wife cannot. It is not something that just happened with Lalla Salma. For example, Lalla Aisha - King Hassan's sister - was ambassador to Italy and then to Britain but King Hassan's wives were barely visible. Many of the king's aunts are also active.

So why does this occur in Morocco? Does it have to do with culture, politics?

They are afraid she makes shade to her husband. Each time she is more photographed than him, what will we think of the king's autority if he seems to be under her wife's thumb ?

yazz said:
They are afraid she makes shade to her husband. Each time she is more photographed than him, what will we think of the king's autority if he seems to be under her wife's thumb ?

How can a number of photographs make His Majesty seem inferior? Is this a cultural difference? I don't get it.

Most Princesses in general are photographed more than their husbands. People who have an interest in royalty like to to look at romantic royal couples, especially attractive ones. They also like to take notice of the attire of the pricesses, how they are wearing their hair etc. I don't see how being photographed would mean that Lalla Salma is dictating to her husband. That doesn't make sense to me. Now, if she were sitting in on all of his meetings and he were incapable of making a decision without conferring with her and Lalla Salma herself wanted to involve herself in goverment, then I could see a problem. But, so far when she appears in public there is nothing more for her to do then put on a good face and look nice for the cameras. That hardly makes her a controlling dominating woman.

Is the King's power and respect dependent upon how much he can hide his wife from the public? Maybe that was fine in the old days, but in the 21st century that seems very odd and very strange regardless of cultural differences. If this is a cultural difference than it must mainly be one of the immediate Royal Household, because I don't find this to be the way of the majority of married couples in Morocco.

some members see salma choice of being only mum and wife is a good one.
me, i love to know how will be the country' economy and social situation if all moroccan women stop working, have no concern to other causes, and follow salma life' style: spending husband and country' money :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Roshanah said:
One has to remember (if one didn't already) that She's in Africa and In African the role of the Monarchs Wife indeed has specified tasks and so on. The Way an African Women would show her interests in doing things would be different. ALso she would have to bear in mind that she is indeed to be noted for her achievements but not to upstage her husband (not that Lalla Salma has.) If one tries to attend to the aforementioned, one would hav one's hands full.

The Other thing is that Moroccan Women have for centuries been fighting for change, in their various ways. The changes have mostly been to fully reinstate Shari'ah, thereby educating those who haven't the knowledge. The result a significantly lower percentage in terms of ill-education.

Also working hard to decrease the high percentage of high unemployment amongst many of the youth. So in that thumbs up to the Many of Moroccan women whom throughout the Ages have fought for justice and a truely Islamic Country.

Also thumbs up for Lalla Salma, because of her roles as Mother, KMVI's wife and an example of the Mulslim Woman today, some are encouraged by her tending to the aforesaid as best she can.:) :) :)
africa! africa!
do u believe it's a good example of good governance which their ppl can benefit from? :rolleyes:

zineb said:
some members see salma choice of being only mum and wife is a good one.
me, i love to know how will be the country' economy and social situation if all moroccan women stop working, or have concern to other causes, and follow salma life' style: spending husband and country' money :rolleyes: :D

Don't forget Salma lost her mum at 3. She knows what is it to grew without a mum.

i think you have a point yazz
i had never thought of it that way. but then again any mother would rather spend time with her baby instead of going to work .

True, her upbringing was was trying to say the least. Therefore one can see that she wants to ensure that her Son, knows well in advance that his mother loves him and wants the best for him.:)

yazz said:
Don't forget Salma lost her mum at 3. She knows what is it to grew without a mum.

is there anyone here from morocco who could tell us what people think about their princess over there?

i'm from morocco but i live in the US , my family and friend in morocco say that they like her and that she is very nice. but i am not sure on what they base these opinions.

Last edited:
I don't know whether or not PSalma has chosen to take a low profile, but i wonder - she must get bored?!!!

But those of you who've said that she must be restricted by protocol do have a point because b4 (as far as i know) the wives of the monarch were never seen in public. PSalma is breaking ground in appearing publicly with M6, but i still say she must get bored. I know she is a mother but sometimes thats not enough. It's not like she has housework etc to distract her with her team of servants.

I guess for us at the forums it's fustrating that her profile is so low becuase it means that all u can really talk about in respect to PSalma is mainly her clothes and looks. She unfortunately is just a figure at the moment.

Lets c if things change!!!!

Salma is truly a beautiful and intelligent young woman. However, intelligence and beauty is not all that is needed to function as a royal or public figure today. There is a level of maturity that is needed to be able to handle onself occuringly--especially royalty. Given Salma's age when she married, particularly noting the signifcant age gap between her and her husband, and the lose of her mother at a young age. One must contemplate the maturity Salma had to muster to take on such a mature untaking--marriage, to mention to a king.

I often feel that King Mohammed struggles to find the proper place for his wife between his sisters and brother. There is enough people for work to go around, therefore, there may not he a significant needed for Salma publicly. Compared to the other crown princess of Europe Salma is still the youngest despite being married before all of them with the exception of Sarah of Burnei. maybe King Mohammed is given his wife time to come into herself and learn balance motherhood with duty. I am sure in do time Salma will be more visible.

Salma Role

I'm sure of one thing that she did not work hard for anything, it was made for her. she is not the type that initiate anything , she is very submissive person, its very much felt when you see her.
And actually the role she plays now is very much symbolic, which made only to serve the king policy of giving the impression that there is an improvement in women statues and development in morocco.
If the king is looking for a woman to play an important role , for sure Salma would not be his choice. His choice would be a more mature and with experience person who at least match his age . In the end its politic guys. :)

JASMIN44 said:
I'm sure of one thing that she did not work hard for anything, it was made for her. she is not the type that initiate anything , she is very submissive person, its very much felt when you see her.
And actually the role she plays now is very much symbolic, which made only to serve the king policy of giving the impression that there is an improvement in women statues and development in morocco.
If the king is looking for a woman to play an important role , for sure Salma would not be his choice. His choice would be a more mature and with experience person who at least match his age . In the end its politic guys. :)
i agree with u jasmin44. salma didn't have political role b4 and she is not a doctor to know better this field.
so they wanna give her a fabricated role. i wonder why her association gets money for the centre and not other associations for cancer who were working in morocco long time ago? :cool: :rolleyes:

JASMIN44 said:

you guys are never satisfied...you are just criticizing for the sake of it...You are even criticizing a man (the king) on why he chose a such woman (Salma) as a wife. I think he is entitled to this VERY PERSONAL choice...Before people were saying she is doing nothing just because she does not appear often in front of cameras or we did not hear that she is PUBLICLY involved in associations...Now, that she choose an association that makes more sense to her/she feels that she can give more for this type...you are not satisfied...

I guess Salma chose to chair such an association because her mother died of a cancer as mentioned by Tamy in the Royals..So, she feels more ownership to it...

Hopefully, by now some mouths will be shut!

Last edited:
Anyway I'm not the one who said why she is not seen on public very often, because I know very well that there will be no effect either way. Secondly I'm not criticizing the choice of the king. In politics and in country like morocco its not a matter of choice it’s a matter of must. This country politically is very complicated and one of the reason is because the sense of tradition is very strong. And the king tries always to satisfy this aspect. and what I mean here that for the king to merry a strong, open ,demanding and ambitious wife who came from a very prominent family will cause him only a trouble in a society used to see the wife of the king hidden with no role. For this she should be humble and thankful to whatever is given.

By the way I'm not comparing Salma to European Princesses, I'm Arab and I do understand the nature of Arab, but I do compare here with other women of her age in the same region, she has long way to go and I'm not sure whether she will be able to take or not!!!!!

Citizen2005 said:
you guys are never satisfied...you are just criticizing for the sake of it...You are even criticizing a man (the king) on why he chose a such woman (Salma) as a wife. I think he is entitled to this VERY PERSONAL choice...Before people were saying she is doing nothing just because she does not appear often in front of cameras or we did not hear that she is PUBLICLY involved in associations...Now, that she choose an association that makes more sense to her/she feels that she can give more for this type...you are not satisfied...

I guess Salma chose to chair such an association because her mother died of a cancer as mentioned by Tamy in the Royals..So, she feels more ownership to it...

Hopefully, by now some mouths will be shut!
ppl had right to think she was doing nothing. but wait, we just hear of the news, no results yet and u call it great activities.
reading news without critics means naivety ;)

zineb said:
i agree with u jasmin44. salma didn't have political role b4 and she is not a doctor to know better this field.
so they wanna give her a fabricated role. i wonder why her association gets money for the centre and not other associations for cancer who were working in morocco long time ago? :cool: :rolleyes:

yes. She is not a doctor. Other Arab princesses who have charity organizations do not have degrees in social work, poverty, etc. either. People should give her a chance to grow into her role.

What's wrong with having a team help realize the center's goals? Do you think Diana who nominally headed tens of organizations did all the work herself? Diana's most important role was to serve as the face/symbol of the organization and to get it the attention to raise funds.

Also, she chose something that has meaning to her - her mother died of cancer.

I doubt critics will ever be satisified with Salma. No matter what she does it will not be enough.

I applaud Salma's project and effort. About her being submissive, we don't know that. Just because we don't see her out alot doesn't mean she's not doing anything. After all, when you're performing a good deed your left hand is not supposed to know what your right hand is doing. She will be rewarded by God if her intentions are sincere and I don't doubt them because the project is so near and dear to her heart.

Times2222 said:
yes. She is not a doctor. Other Arab princesses who have charity organizations do not have degrees in social work, poverty, etc. either. People should give her a chance to grow into her role.

What's wrong with having a team help realize the center's goals? Do you think Diana who nominally headed tens of organizations did all the work herself? Diana's most important role was to serve as the face/symbol of the organization and to get it the attention to raise funds.

Also, she chose something that has meaning to her - her mother died of cancer.

I doubt critics will ever be satisified with Salma. No matter what she does it will not be enough.
u find nowhere an association with Diana name :D
Diana is known by her global humanitarian work and raising money to support other associations for AIDS prevention, the hospice movement and landmine clearance.

madonna23 said:
what i have never understood is why the King's sisters and female relatives can be active and his wife cannot. It is not something that just happened with Lalla Salma. For example, Lalla Aisha - King Hassan's sister - was ambassador to Italy and then to Britain but King Hassan's wives were barely visible. Many of the king's aunts are also active.

So why does this occur in Morocco? Does it have to do with culture, politics?

In many african families a private distinction is made of whether you are born of the family or married into it, and quite often being born into a family gives a higher ranking than even if you are married to the most senior in rank, age, or prestige member. For many a married woman, royal or not, you derive your highest profile from your children (sons), when they are grown, not your husband! To maintain a public profile, or a public voice, you need your husband's approval and encouragement, irrespective of your own accomplishments or otherwise (if you want to maintain a happy marriage.) It is often one rule for the sisters etc (who are usually unhappily married if married at all) and another rule for wives!

gemelli said:
In many african families a private distinction is made of whether you are born of the family or married into it, and quite often being born into a family gives a higher ranking than even if you are married to the most senior in rank, age, or prestige member. For many a married woman, royal or not, you derive your highest profile from your children (sons), when they are grown, not your husband! To maintain a public profile, or a public voice, you need your husband's approval and encouragement, irrespective of your own accomplishments or otherwise (if you want to maintain a happy marriage.) It is often one rule for the sisters etc (who are usually unhappily married if married at all) and another rule for wives!
good analysis gemelli. what happen if salma didn't give birth to a son?
the king could have a second wife to have a male or he could leave the throne to his brother?

for what I saw, she is a very shy lady, and not very confident on herself, I hope that the fact that she is more active now, will take her confidence on herself

I really wonder if she enjoy doing her job as "queen / wife" of the king???
Personaly I have a feeling that she must do that and that she isn't happy at all when she is doing that. We can see it on her body language. I think that she wants to be a "normal wife" taking care of her husband and son and not more. There is a lot of pressure on her to do charity works, going to the meeting, etc...

The king likes to give a modern image about himself as a modern king with pushing her to do some work. But does princess Salma enjoy that??? That's the question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom