Princess Lalla Salma's role in Morocco and the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with you Abir.
==============
It does seem to me that many people want Salma to dress in a certain way, have some kind of projects and appear more often while we do not know what she is allowed to within the rules of the Palace and the culture of the country....

Although she married a king and many would say she should have expected what a royal life is going to be, we are not sure whether she realized that she is not too much into the spotlight, the camera and so on, whether she does not have much say of what she would like to do...there are many maybe (s)...For me, as long as she has a happy family life, it's enough for me...I would not wait for Salma especially to do social projects or to represent Morocco...Morocco can be represented by other women as well (e.g. high profile achievers commoners, other princesses)..Why we have to put the burden on a first lady...

Last edited:
Yes, you are right Moon. There are many mabye(s) and no one knows. And as you said "Morocco can be represented by other women as well (e.g. high profile achievers commoners, other princesses)"; but if she is active, that could be a plus and may help to change women position in her country. I know there are many first ladies who are "active" but women situation doesn't change in their countries, since that's rely more on the society itself and on political decisions.
So I think only women who have power can make the change, and most of first ladies don't have.

Reina said:
I think she is unique and very pretty. SH ehas a unique beauty about her and I like that she is behind the scenes and not after the spotlight. A lot of ppl who talk about a problem and what outta be done, but it is pure rhetoric. It is not like those "bling bling" monarchs and leaders would ever stop shopping and give soem of that money to their communities and to the young ppl who have no resources to get a higher education and find jobs. Ok...i am waaayyyyy off. Sorry. But I respect Lalla Salma cuz she is pretty and a humble person/wife.
There are issues which are relevant and can't be solved, but there are many issues which need people work specially men/women who are in specific positions and have some kind of power.

Last edited by a moderator:
julial said:
May I ask why Lalla Salma is called a shrimp by the Moroccan people?
What does "Shrimp" illustrate?
To refer to her red/orange hair (as shrimp are of orange color..See her pictures during her college time: Humble previously and recently Monalisa posted 2 pictures when she was a student)....Shrimp does not refer to being "short" as la La mentioned..Salma is not short (IMO)..She is at least 5'5 (165cm)

Last edited:
Moon,

A shrimp does illustrate a puny person but perhaps in her case her subjects were implying something else.

Last edited:
I don't think that salma has bad relations with her sisters-in law because salma doesn't make them a shade
if M6 had marry with a woman who has strong personality who would have gives its true value of the job of firt lady there would have been frictions between the sisters-in-law, but salma is a unobtrusive woman who does not poke the jealousies
on the contrary, I believe that the sisters of the king are happy to have her for sister-in-law

Lalla Salma has such a genuine smile. She may not be as beautiful but her personality just shines through.

rosa, I agree, I think she has a good relationship with her sisters-in-law. She hasnt "taken over" the royal court and the positions of the King's sisters. All three of them are still an important part of the royal family.

rosa said:
I don't think that salma has bad relations with her sisters-in law because salma doesn't make them a shade
if M6 had marry with a woman who has strong personality who would have gives its true value of the job of firt lady there would have been frictions between the sisters-in-law, but salma is a unobtrusive woman who does not poke the jealousies
on the contrary, I believe that the sisters of the king are happy to have her for sister-in-law
I have to challenge this statement. According to number of posts in this particular and related threads alone, as well as time and energy and dedication which some posters engage in discussing, both in positive or negative manner issues related to Princess Salma, I would say that she obviously attracts significant public interest. Hardly typical for 'unobtrusive woman who does not poke the jealousies', or any other sort of positive and negative emotions and reactions. On the contrary. Regarding Princess Salma's relations with other family members - they are personal and not at public disposal, so any speculation in respect is purely subjective

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Lalla Salma has such a genuine smile. She may not be as beautiful but her personality just shines through.

rosa, I agree, I think she has a good relationship with her sisters-in-law. She hasnt "taken over" the royal court and the positions of the King's sisters. All three of them are still an important part of the royal family.
Indeed, she seems to be very genuine person without false pose - sure, she still has a lot to learn and to improve in her styling, posture and public image in general, yet, she gives an impression of descent, sweet, warm and positive person.

there are some photos of salma where she behaves really as an adolescent, for example, on the photo of the commemoration of the 60eme birthday of the landing in Provence, her way to laugh, is completely out of place, seen the solemnity of the event

This young woman seems unconscious that she represent the women of her country, she is whether stiff and tense, or she behaves like teenager, she passes an extreme to the other

I think that to her age, a person must know adapted her behaviour to the event and to the people who surround her, it is not need to be born princess for that

rosa said:
there are some photos of salma where she behaves really as an adolescent, for example, on the photo of the commemoration of the 60eme birthday of the landing in Provence, her way to laugh, is completely out of place, seen the solemnity of the event

This young woman seems unconscious that she represent the women of her country, she is whether stiff and tense, or she behaves like teenager, she passes an extreme to the other

I think that to her age, a person must know adapted her behaviour to the event and to the people who surround her, it is not need to be born princess for that
I see your point rosa. People who attended before official ceremonies know well how the paticipants/guests should behave.

This has nothing to do with protocols or being princess, since even normal citizens are aware of that ...
I tend to say it's personal bebavior :rolleyes:

abir said:
I see your point rosa. People who attended before official ceremonies know well how the paticipants/guests should behave.

This has nothing to do with protocols or being princess, since even normal citizens are aware of that ...
I tend to say it's personal bebavior :rolleyes:

Absolutely, I think that it is not the question of knowing the royal uses, but it is rather personality's question

rosa said:

That is something that she has to learn though. Not everyone knows how to exude proper behaviour at the proper times. I guess she could be called a country bumpkin. SHe lived in Morocco all her life and around familiar settings and now she comes into this fascinating world of prestige...

rosa said:

it could be her first time to watch an air show – the french air force aerobatics, she was pleased with and get out of her head why she was there. yes i guess she isn’t conscious of her role :cool:

Last edited:
Reina said:
That is something that she has to learn though. Not everyone knows how to exude proper behaviour at the proper times. I guess she could be called a country bumpkin. SHe lived in Morocco all her life and around familiar settings and now she comes into this fascinating world of prestige...

since soon three years that she lives princess's life, she travels, meeting of people of the upper bourgeoisie, and she is always as clumsy in public, I don't think that it is because she lived in morocco all her life, for me all depend the person's character, I would add that if salma had conscience to represent the women of her country, only the fact to feel this responsibility would stop her from making some blunders :)

zineb said:
it could be her first time to watch an air show – the french air force aerobatics, she was pleased with and get out of her head why she was there. yes i guess she isn’t conscious of her role :cool:

that she was marveled at the aerial stunts is not problem, it is true that it is an impressive spectacle, but that it makes him forget the solemnity of the event (to do homage to the former Moroccans fighters of World War II)...

if it was a feast, not of problem, but it is a commemoration, to see the first lady of Morocco to guffaw in this case seems out of place to me :)

loubna2 said:
we would like all to see her more active, but it doesn't depend on her but of the protocol that seems even chilly when to the role of the king's wife

I don’t agree with you loubna2, a few months ago, the king said in an interview in Paris Match that salma hesitated about the activity that she wanted to do, it is not therefore a taboo

rosa said:
I don’t agree with you loubna2, a few months ago, the king said in an interview in Paris Match that salma hesitated about the activity that she wanted to do, it is not therefore a taboo

I didnt know the King said that. But that supports my view as well. I also think that the whole taboo thing is being carried too far. After all, if King Muhammad wanted to keep his wife secluded, he wouldn't have broken with tradition and made her so visible to the public from the beginning. His sisters have been in the public eye for years and have accompanied him and their late father to state visits abroad many times. I have always got the impression that Lalla Salma herself wasnt comfortable exposing herself too much. Taking to their official duties doesnt always come easily to women who marry into royal families. In Lalla Salma's case, I think its all about the time she needs to overcome her shyness and develop more confidence. We've already seen how friendly she was with Queen Sofia of Spain. Im sure its because the Queen sensed what Salma must be going through in her new role and therefore tried to put her at ease from the very beginning.
Im pretty sure that King Muhammad is trying to help his wife cope with her situation.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I didnt know the King said that. But that supports my view as well. I also think that the whole taboo thing is being carried too far. After all, if King Muhammad wanted to keep his wife secluded, he wouldn't have broken with tradition and made her so visible to the public from the beginning. His sisters have been in the public eye for years and have accompanied him and their late father to state visits abroad many times. I have always got the impression that Lalla Salma herself wasnt comfortable exposing herself too much. Taking to their official duties doesnt always come easily to women who marry into royal families. In Lalla Salma's case, I think its all about the time she needs to overcome her shyness and develop more confidence. We've already seen how friendly she was with Queen Sofia of Spain. Im sure its because the Queen sensed what Salma must be going through in her new role and therefore tried to put her at ease from the very beginning.
Im pretty sure that King Muhammad is trying to help his wife cope with her situation.

I think that the most important is that she invests herself in a project useful to her country
I hope that her role will not be stop to welcome first ladies

rosa said:
I think that the most important is that she invests herself in a project useful to her country
I hope that her role will not be stop to welcome first ladies

yes thats what's missing now. Lalla Salma hasn't taken on a particular cause or charity to patronize like other women who marry into royal families. CP Mary of Denmark, for example, became the patron of several charities right after her marriage. Lalla Salma hasnt done anything like that so far. Hopefully she will realize that she has to be more active in her role as the King's wife. I think the King wants her to be more involved. But obviously he cant pressure her.

All charities fields are already patronized in Morocco by a sister or an aunt of the king. She can't invent a new field, she just has to hope one of her sister-in-law to give up one of them... and they don't want.

yazz said:
All charities fields are already patronized in Morocco by a sister or an aunt of the king. She can't invent a new field, she just has to hope one of her sister-in-law to give up one of them... and they don't want.

Morocco has a lot of social/economic problems that she can help with, without invading here sisters in law territory. I guess she just doesn't know what to chose.

yazz said:

I think you misunderstood. No one expects or wants Lalla Salma to upstage her sisters in law or take over their causes. Like Layla27 said, Salma doesnt have to wait for the King's sisters to give up their charities. There is virtually an infinite number of causes she could support, international and Moroccan.

Last edited:
Gosh. I wish some of ou would give her time. I think that she is doing a great job so far as first lady primarily b/c she is being a wife and mom first and supporting her husband in his activities. When the time is right than she will take up more causes. Patience is a virtue...

Reina said:
Gosh. I wish some of ou would give her time. I think that she is doing a great job so far as first lady primarily b/c she is being a wife and mom first and supporting her husband in his activities. When the time is right than she will take up more causes. Patience is a virtue...

Most "modern" women have both a professional life and a family life, and they do their best to manage the two at the same time.
I guess people are just expecting the same thing from princess lalla Salma. She became a princess three years ago, if I am not mistaken, and until now, the only thing she did was receiving official guests. Given the fact that she has hundreds of maids, nurses, and other kinds of helpful staff, it seems natural people expect her to be more active and more porductive.

Well I think it is just as good for her to be a wife to the king and a mom to the future king. I think it is ok for her to take her time. After all she could just be in a harem and no one would have to worry about her doing duties.

To yazz

I read that salma granted an inteview to Hola where she said that she tried to know in what domain she would be the most useful, I deducted that she was not still active

rosa said:
To yazz

I read that salma granted an inteview to Hola where she said that she tried to know in what domain she would be the most useful, I deducted that she was not still active

I wonder to know what crenel lalla salma would like to invest herself
personnaly I think that since she is an enginneer she can promote the new technologie in morocco, what do you think rosa

loubna2 said:
I wonder to know what crenel lalla salma would like to invest herself
personnaly I think that since she is an enginneer she can promote the new technologie in morocco, what do you think rosa

I don't know what Rosa think but it would be totally ridiculous. Do you really think it's the more important to do ? Moroccan people just have no money to buy a computer, so what do you think they have to care with new technologies.

yazz said:
I don't know what Rosa think but it would be totally ridiculous. Do you really think it's the more important to do ? Moroccan people just have no money to buy a computer, so what do you think they have to care with new technologies.

Actually it's even not a problem of money or economic level of majority of people,but it's a problem of competence and adequacy,yes salma is an engineer and was a brillant student,but actually,in morocco ,the firms working on new technology are doing a good job,for example,the "maroctelecom" is the most important firm working in that field in whole arab world and middle east,and come second after the geant of south africa and first in the arab world,so i think new technology's workers in morocco are doing a good job,and are able to promote for them self,and don't need PL.salma's figuration.

I don't believe in the role of figuration of royals to promote something,if they are not involved really,and i don't like to be said that the work is done by them,like the many royal or first ladies especaially from middle east;) , when it's really done by other people behind :) !

Last edited:
to loubna2
Personally, there are two sectors that seem me very interesting:
1 - The improvement of the life of Moroccan peasantry, there is so much to make in the mountains and the countries, and some times very simples’ actions are sufficient to improve the everyday life of people

2 - The promotion of the Berber culture that is completely marginalized and folklorised in morocco (the actions undertaken by Moroccan state to rehabilitate this millennial culture in its rights are so insufficient that seven members of the royal institute of the Berber culture resigned to denounce the flagrant difference between the take care of the Arabian culture and the Berber culture)

Me, I think that this two sectors are very important, but I don’t know if salma has the same preoccupations

Back
Top Bottom