Media reports: Divorce for King Mohamed VI and Princess Lalla Salma

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a culture where Women [even Princesses] are effectively chattels the treatment of Lalla Salma comes as no surprise - In European History MANY 'inconvenient' Royal Women were bundled off to spend the remainder of their lives in obscurity in Convents.

Fortunately we've 'come a long way' since then.

In a culture where Women [even Princesses] are effectively chattels the treatment of Lalla Salma comes as no surprise - In European History MANY 'inconvenient' Royal Women were bundled off to spend the remainder of their lives in obscurity in Convents.

Fortunately we've 'come a long way' since then.

If this was the time of King Hassan no one would even notice. Like Europeans a few centuries ago, a royal wife could simply be shuffled off. No royal wives in Morocco were ever acknowledged or given a title.

That's what makes this so different. Salma was. She was given a title and a very public role. A signal of a move towards a more modern approach, at least by Moroccan standards. Which makes her sudden vanishing from the public spot light even more of a shock.

Mohamed's mother lived so privately, that it was a crime to take her photo.

As long as Lalla Salma is comfortable, in good health, and is not a prisoner somwhere that is good enough for me.....:ermm:

:previous:
Easy just follow closely the Moroccan forums here ?
You can chick on Lalla Salma current event,after her divorece she was spotted in Italy and Grece (for summer holiday with her children) in Morocco in her grandmother funeral,with her daugther Lalla Khadija lately they went together for a movie in Rabat...
I know the Moroccan Palace has managed this divorce very awkwardly but there is no sign that she is maltreated... neither the married ins before her,and no matter what happen in this marriage she is the mother of futur King "Lalla oum Sidi".

Last edited:
We have seen Lalla Salma on holiday in Greece and Italy so can take from that fact that she is being allowed a rather nice lifestyle post possible divorce.

Why Harry and his wife in particular :ermm:

I don't see why any royal family would be 'awestruck' by any other royals. Its not like meeting some celebrity or idol. Mohammed and his family are every bit as royal as any of the Europeans who visit them.

Just because Hassan had the manners of a boar, doesn't mean his son would. Charles and Camilla certainly had a better experience in 2011.

Of course people are going to be interested. If this happened in Europe the same questions would pop up. Even more so. Can you imagine if Maxima, Letizia, Mathilde or so on just up and disappeared completely from public life for well over a year without any explanation???
... because they are mentioned in Ms Barger's article. The divorce/separation subject is expected to be broached ... by whom exactly?
Ms Barger seems to forget that no one has a right to demand explanations from the Middle Eastern/Persian Gulf royals, if they do not wish to provide them. The royals in question are entitled to have their own media rules without criticisms from the enlightened western regimes.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I am not familiar with Islamic culture. Are divorced women normally stigmatized and removed from social interaction ? If so, it is not an issue that is unique to Lalla Salma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I am not familiar with Islamic culture. Are divorced women normally stigmatized and removed from social interaction ? If so, it is not an issue that is unique to Lalla Salma.

I think it has nothing to do with Islamic culture. She can practice her life normally after divorce. The only difference is that Lalla Salma is no more the king`s wife. Her role as the first lady of Morroco has been filled by the King`s sisters who are princesses by birth.

I think it has nothing to do with Islamic culture. She can practice her life normally after divorce. The only difference is that Lalla Salma is no more the king`s wife. Her role as the first lady of Morroco has been filled by the King`s sisters who are princesses by birth.
So, how do you explain that Lalla Salma just disappeared instead of the court explaining/announcing that the king regrets to announce that he divorced her? That is what I would expect to happen in most western, non-Islamic, countries. Apparently, it is considered less shameful to not talk about it and keep people guessing instead of explaining something that does not carry a stigma?!?!

just because palace didn't anounnces this separation (wich we all agree is not the right way) that mean this is automatically have something to do with the islamic culture,no it's not and no there no shame in divorce in islam...

Last edited:
So, how do you explain that Lalla Salma just disappeared instead of the court explaining/announcing that the king regrets to announce that he divorced her? That is what I would expect to happen in most western, non-Islamic, countries. Apparently, it is considered less shameful to not talk about it and keep people guessing instead of explaining something that does not carry a stigma?!?!

Generally, in Islam, the declaration of a marriage or divorce to the public is a basic condition for its validity, but the commitment to this condition varies from one community to another according to its social traditions. In Morrocco, before the region of Mohammed VI, the king`s wives were not allowed to appear in public engagements, they were even unknown to people. The first royal wife to have a role in royal duties was Lalla Salma. Now she is no longer the wife of the king so she disappeared and has been replaced by the king sisters/sister in law.
Although I do not agree with the way the Morrocon Royal Household managed this issue but it is their traditions & we have to respect it. Instead of taking the responsibility for officially announcing the divorce, the palace had only leaked the news to Hola Magazine. .

Last edited by a moderator:
I read yesterday that she lives somewhere else...on an island with her daughter.

LaRae

She needs to make an appearance at least one so the press attention will die down. If not every time a high profile event happens in Morocco there is going to be stories.

they need an official statement announcing the divorce,she is no longer King's wife therefore doesn't hold a public role anymore so her absence in understood however palace needs to make things clear.

I read yesterday that she lives somewhere else...on an island with her daughter.

LaRae
no she lives in Morocco, she was seen in Grece,France and Italy but just for holiday with her kids.

but how will people know that she's divorced if it is not announced

this why it's important the palace makes one and clear the situation

Hola published an article about Lalla Salma life post divorce before the Spanish visit

According to ¡Hola!, King Mohammed VI and Lalla Salma’s divorce is «irrevocable»
While it was one of the first Spanish platforms to report the alleged «divorce of King Mohammed VI and Princess Lalla Salma» in March 2018, weekly magazine ¡Hola! dedicated, Tuesday, another article to the topic.
Quoting sources «close to the Royal Palace», the magazine reports that Lalla Salma «is staying out of the spotlight, but (…) is very close to her children», referring to Crown Prince Moulay Hassan and Princess Lalla Khadija.
«Eleven months after their split-up, the decision turned out to be final and irrevocable», insisted ¡Hola!, adding that Lalla Salma «still lives in Morocco, which does not prevent her from spending some time outside the country».

It is not official announced because it is unusual for a king of Morocco to divorce his wife and also more unusual to make it puplicly known to everyone.

Last edited:
but how will people know that she's divorced if it is not announced

She is no longer seen in public and missed on many occasions. This is a clear sign that a divorce has taken place. An announcment isnt nesessary to notice a breakup of the royal couple.

By the way: In the Moroccan royal house the wives of the king were never present in public in the past. It has changed with Lalla Salma. Now it seems they are back to the roots...

Last edited:
:previous: Much as I would love to see Lalla Salma again we have to respect that Morocco is not the UK and, unlike Diana, she herself may be quite happy to not be in the spotlight anymore. I'm just sorry she cannot or decided not to continue to work with her charities because she is "known" and that can only help them to continue regardless.

She is no longer seen in public and missed on many occasions. This is a clear sign that a divorce has taken place. An announcment isnt nesessary to notice a breakup of the royal couple.

By the way: In the Moroccan royal house the wives of the king were never present in public in the past. It changed with Lalla Salma. Now it seems they are back to the roots...

But his sisters were present I think? Why are they allowed to be public?

LaRae

But his sisters were present I think? Why are they allowed to be public?

LaRae

Lalla Salma wasnt a princess by birth. She got her royal role by marriage and lost this position by divorce.

The sisters of the king are princesses by birth and keep this role for life. During an international visit with high-ranking ladies arriving they take over the host role for the female guests of the royal family.

The king sisters will continue to take this role as long as he will remain unmarried. His daughter Lalla Khadija will join them in future.

I can imagine that given the fact that Moroccan royal wives were always previously so private and that divorce is unusual in the Moroccan RF's culture, we won't hear an official announcement from the court so will just be "relying" on other reports.

Lalla Salma wasnt a princess by birth. She got her royal role by marriage and lost this position by divorce.

The sisters of the king are princesses by birth and keep this role for life. During an international visit with high-ranking ladies arriving they take over the host role for the female guests of the royal family.

So if his wife was a princess would she be able to be present?

LaRae

I guess people are just more curious or expectant of some sort of confirmation considering how the King broke tradition to give his wife a title and official public role, whereas traditionally his wife's only role would be private and barely/never seen.

So if his wife was a princess would she be able to be present?

LaRae

Perhaps she can do so as a princess but the first lady`s duties will remain confined to the king`s closest female relatives ( his daughter & sisters)

Last edited:
the reports said for now she doesn't know what she want to do but most likely she will keeps working with her association even in pravite,in futur there is a possibility she will be back to the public duties once her son became King,like Princess Muna of Jordan who became very active once her son is King.

Back
Top Bottom