General news and Questions about Princess Lalla Salma and her family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salma doesn't come from upper middle class, she comes from a very modest family from lower middle class, her father is retired and was a teacher of a primary school in Fez,not of university!and she used to live in a very modest area in Rabat called "lakbibat" between "l'ocean" and "yakoubalmansour".

She met the king thanks to her brillant studies and was invited to the palace among many girls who made good studies and who have good career,from modest and wealty families.

absolutely not.... when the book of JP Tuquoi was ready to be public... withthe increasingly important revelations on the life intimate and the escapades of King... It was necessary for the Royal Palace to quickly organize an "against event".....
and the King to require of his close staff to selectionnate girls,(one could say resulting from the people,) to remain in the image of the "king of the poor, close to people"..... several were chosen whose girl of Minister and finally it is the cousin of M.Bensouda=Salma Bennani (Bennani is a great middle-class family of Fez very known in Morocco not modest at all)who has been chosen finally
as that occurs for many boys to marry in els great Moroccan families
i am sorry but , know maybe they compose together with children a pretty family but the beginning of the story have nothing to do with a fairy tale

(Bennani is a great middle-class family of Fez very known in Morocco not modest at all)who has been chosen finally

Bennani in Morocco is like Martin in France, Smith or Lewis.
It's not the same family

WOW, it's the first time I hear that Lalla Salma married through that process, it reminds me of those TV bachelor rich guys shows
I wonder if little prince hasan will do that too, chose a red haired one like his momy:D
well I'm sure that among reasons he selected her is that she was well educated smart woman, & pretty ofcourse:cool:

Bennani in Morocco is like Martin in France, Smith or Lewis.
It's not the same family
I am sorry this is not the same think : Martin smith etc... are homonyms . The "Bennani" in Morroco come all from the same tribe, or high family of Fez in Morocco and yes, much are more or less rich... but the majority are middle-class even small middle-class

WOW, it's the first time I hear that Lalla Salma married through that process, it reminds me of those TV bachelor rich guys shows
I wonder if little prince hasan will do that too, chose a red haired one like his momy:D
well I'm sure that among reasons he selected her is that she was well educated smart woman, & pretty ofcourse:cool:

none can say why he choose herpersonally, I think that he choose her because she seems very docile

absolutely not.... when the book of JP Tuquoi was ready to be public... withthe increasingly important revelations on the life intimate and the escapades of King... It was necessary for the Royal Palace to quickly organize an "against event".....
and the King to require of his close staff to selectionnate girls,(one could say resulting from the people,) to remain in the image of the "king of the poor, close to people"..... several were chosen whose girl of Minister and finally it is the cousin of M.Bensouda=Salma Bennani (Bennani is a great middle-class family of Fez very known in Morocco not modest at all)who has been chosen finally
as that occurs for many boys to marry in els great Moroccan families
i am sorry but , know maybe they compose together with children a pretty family but the beginning of the story have nothing to do with a fairy tale

What I said is not from my imagination and nothing has to do with a fairytale,I know where she used to live,and her grandmother is still living there,and if she didn't done brillant studies,she wouldn't have had the chance to be invited to the palace among many girls "candidates" to be the wife of the king!

At least I tell you where she used to live and where she spent her childhood,and it's a very very modest area in Rabat...Since you insiste to say us she's coming from an upper middle class family,can you tell us where they were living....I think you don't know,and you judge the book only from it cover,yes there's many fazi moroccan families with the same family name of salma "Bennani"who are wealthy,but it's absolutly not Salma's case,Salma's family is very modest...I this is a fact not a story to make like a fairytale!

Please remember to keep the discussion relevant to Lalla Salma's family, we're not here to discuss the background of all the Bennanis in Morocco.

I think we can all disagree with each other in a civil manner, bearing in mind that we're dealing with personal opinions, not absolute facts. Some members might think Lalla Salma was a brilliant student and others may not. There's no need to attack another member who does not share your opinion.

Further off-topic and irrelevant posts will be deleted.

Humera
Royal Family of Morocco Moderator

What I said is not from my imagination and nothing has to do with a fairytale,I know where she used to live,and her grandmother is still living there,and if she didn't done brillant studies,she wouldn't have had the chance to be invited to the palace among many girls "candidates" to be the wife of the king!

At least I tell you where she used to live and where she spent her childhood,and it's a very very modest area in Rabat...Since you insiste to say us she's coming from an upper middle class family,can you tell us where they were living....I think you don't know,and you judge the book only from it cover,yes there's many fazi moroccan families with the same family name of salma "Bennani"who are wealthy,but it's absolutly not Salma's case,Salma's family is very modest...I this is a fact not a story to make like a fairytale!

I said just that Salma Bennani as much of other people of Moroccan middle-class families lived in a modest district... this does not prevent that....
Salma Bennani as its name indicates it results from a middle-class family(like a lot of very famous morrocan one Berrada, Guessous, El kouhen, Jaidi, Alaoui, Tazi, Lahlou, which in spite of a modest "intimacy" always revolved around the royal palace and of the Moroccan "Makhzen".....en particular Mr Bensouda, her cousin who introduced her near the King ......
Morocco is a feudal country (contrary to what is shown) into which the line, the origins, the families of origins the SURNAMES have a very great importance... the King would never marry a good pupil resulting from an unspecified family.....because in these families there, for the royal family especially blood is very important...... The girls of Hassan II also had marriages arranged with men above all because of their families Fillali, Bouchentouf....etc...

please find enclosed a link from RSF (Without Frontiers Reporters Reporters sans frontières - MOROCCO with an article from french magazine VSD wich made an inquest dated March 2002, King engagment )
in wich is written :

"Tout le royaume bruisse de l’événement à venir. Courant mars, sa majesté Mohammed VI se mariera. L’heureuse élue, Salma Bennani, est une jeune femme de 25 ans, native de Fès et issue de la haute bourgeoisie."
=translation
All the kingdom bruisse of the event to come. During March, its Mohammed VI majesty will marry. The happy one elected, Salma Bennani, is young woman a 25 year old, native of Fès and resulting from the upper middle classes."

Last edited by a moderator:
there was no personal attack in my message, on the contrary....
I said just that Salma Bennani as much of other people of Moroccan middle-class families lived in a modest district... this does not prevent that....
Salma Bennani as its name indicates it results from a middle-class family(like a lot of very famous morrocan one Berrada, Guessous, El kouhen, Jaidi, Alaoui, Tazi, Lahlou, which in spite of a modest "intimacy" always revolved around the royal palace and of the Moroccan "Makhzen".....en particular Mr Bensouda, her cousin who introduced her near the King ......
Morocco is a feudal country (contrary to what is shown) into which the line, the origins, the families of origins the SURNAMES have a very great importance... the King would never marry a good pupil resulting from an unspecified family.....because in these families there, for the royal family especially blood is very important...... The girls of Hassan II also had marriages arranged with men above all because of their families Fillali, Bouchentouf....etc...

please find enclosed a link from RSF (Without Frontiers Reporters Reporters sans frontières - MOROCCO with an article from french magazine VSD wich made an inquest dated March 2002, King engagment )
in wich is written :

"Tout le royaume bruisse de l’événement à venir. Courant mars, sa majesté Mohammed VI se mariera. L’heureuse élue, Salma Bennani, est une jeune femme de 25 ans, native de Fès et issue de la haute bourgeoisie."
=translation
All the kingdom bruisse of the event to come. During March, its Mohammed VI majesty will marry. The happy one elected, Salma Bennani, is young woman a 25 year old, native of Fès and resulting from the upper middle classes."

thank you Ikram for all these infos, I am not moroccan, and for a foreigner it isn't easy to know all the subtilities of the MakhzenI think as you that a girl without any tie with the MRF can't be a marry a king in morocco or a prince (for example, i am pretty sure that brother's king won't marry a girl from a simple family)

Last edited:
thank you Ikram for all these infos, I am not moroccan, and for a foreigner it isn't easy to know all the subtilities of the Makhzen I think as you that a girl without any tie with the MRF can't be a marry a king in morocco or a prince (for example, i am pretty sure that brother's king won't marry a girl from a simple family)
exactly, even if at first sight she comes from a modest medium (but I am sure that not, because it must have made high studies and in Morocco very little can it) she will come from a family with an important line, of a kind of nobility...or she could be foreigner...but even from high middle (like Lamia Solh moulay Abdellah wife's)
there is a book wich explain very nice this Morrocan specificity
"Le MAroc des Elites" i don't remember the writer but i will tell you

Last edited:

This introduction process seems pretty common among the Arab royal families as well as in Brunei and others. I can see how that's the case it is not like the king randomly go out and meet nice women. He causes a scene (royal protocol) etc. everywhere he goes. Also, this type of process has ancient traditions in China as well.

in wich is written :

=translation

The importance of family name and blood line makes good sense. It is like that in Arab countries (some of them marry their cousins) and it was like that in ancient China. Up until recently that was the case in England too - even Princess Diana's family was in the royal inner circle, her father being Earl Spencer.

Nothing was out of the ordinary with the way in ehich Lalla Salma was chosen to marry King Muhammed VI. It has been noted that it is all to easy to judge/scourn the customs of another region. However because we live in the 'modern society/21st ' :eek: many aren't so quick to admit the current goings on in society. yet appear shocked when mentioned.

The family had to be sure that the young lady in question (then Salma Bennani) hadn't an objectionable past (by royal standards.) Who better to choose from than a member of the upper middle class. She would be able to respect the traditions of the royal family combined with being educated and distinguished young woman. We can see that this method was indeed foolproof :cool:

Thumbs up! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
YES SHE DID among some other girls of the same medium had interviews exactly as for a job.
For a long time a minister daughter's was "favorie"=preferred (people said she was very beautiful) but finallly Salma Bennani was chosen

Who was the lady?

The family had to be sure that the young lady in question (then Salma Bennani) hadn't an objectionable past (by royal standards.) Who better to choose from than a member of the upper middle class. She would be able to respect the traditions of the royal family combined with being educated and distinguished young woman. We can see that this method was indeed foolproof :cool:

:flowers:

I agree. Who can forget the mess made by Mabel Wisse Smit when she "forgot" to mention her past affair with a notorious gangster or her affair with married Bosnian official Muhamed Sacirbey, who was later imprisoned for fraud. Her husband Prince Friso of Holland had to give up his right to the throne to marry her.

Last edited:
Exactly.........one has to approach the situation with caution. Not to mention that the person in question would have to be made of sterner and the right stuff. If so they'd have a job for life, which isn't a life for everyone et repleat with rewards if one works hard for them. :flowers: :ROFLMAO:

cute young girl,where did you get that photo Khalidi?:)
thanks BTW.

Last edited:
Last year she taught in the same class as my sister (the first year of high school)

nice pic she din't looks like Lalla salma though,I loved the name Kenza is cute berber name.

By the way M.Lilo you avatar is so lovely.:)

kenza bennanie now studies at a famous private school called "Taiba"

you are good news source about tha Bennani Khalidi,thanks for sharing with us:flowers:
so she is a teacher now,isn't she young?how old she by the way?

Is the name Kenza different to the name Kinza, or is it just a spelling difference?

:previous:it's the same name spelling deferentially,for some its Kenza for other its Kinza in Arabic كنزة.
it's cute name indeed.

i never heard this name pronounced 'kinza' , in Arabic it's Kanza and moroccans pronounce it kenza ( it mean treasure )

you are good news source about tha Bennani Khalidi,thanks for sharing with us:flowers:
so she is a teacher now,isn't she young?how old she by the way?

No please she is not a teacher ,now she studies in second year in high school (taiba)

I'm sorry, I'm the fault, it's because of my bad English:sad:

:previous:it's the same name spelling deferentially,for some its Kenza for other its Kinza in Arabic كنزة.
it's cute name indeed.
Thanks Mademoiselle Lilo, I have a friend called Kinza, will have to let her know her name is Kenza in Morocco!

hi,
i found the wedding of the Moroccan King & may i ask if Princess Lalla Salma was an engineer before the marriage? TQ

hi,
i found the wedding of the Moroccan King & may i ask if Princess Lalla Salma was an engineer before the marriage? TQ

Yes, she is a computer engineer and she worked for Omnium Nord Africain (ONA) one of the biggest holdings in Africa

Back
Top Bottom