The last ivrea: Luis de la Cerda y Guzmán (1383), 2nd titular Prince of Fortuna

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City
jerusalem
Country
Israel
Does anyone have any information at all about him that is more than basic details like family years and titles? I mean he was the last member alive of the powerful ivrea dynasty. I’m fascinated!

I like your username and when I noticed your question first thing on my mind was a YouTube video in Spanish about the origin of the name Trastamara as a branch of the House of Ivrea.

When I returned to this forum after a 14 plus year absence since 2007-2008, I had to use a temporary new made up name inspired by the House of Ivrea, Anscadar, because I could neither remember my old username nor had the email to recover it until Marengo came to my rescue! The made-up name Anscadar was a variation on the House of Ivrea/Anscarids that I researched about back in 2017 for a digital book project I did as my after-hours side hobby.

As far as I know, the House of Ivrea is still alive and well via maternal lines, many associated with Spanish royals descended from the House Trastamara. As in King Felipe of Spain is a descendant of the Ivrea/Anscarii as much as the current Prince Napoleon (from his mom's Bourbon side) and so on. So the Ivreas are still alive and kicking, under other surnames but all from that County of Burgundy

Ps. The County of Burgundy is not to be confused with the adjacent Duchy of Burgundy located on the County's left side of historical maps

Spanish Monarchs Family Tree with the House of Ivrea shown in the green line to the left of the chart

Spanish Monarchs Family Tree with the House of Ivrea shown in the green line to the left of the chart

Last edited:
The house of Ivrea is indeed an ancestor to ALL of Europe’s royal families today! It is even still alive today, through an illegitimate male line I’ve researched- the commoner Paz family.
But unfortunately it is still an extinct dynasty :( even though it spawned into quite a few separate legitimate and illegitimate family lines. It’s nice to see others interested in this dynasty!

Luis de La Cerda, also called Louis of Spain (France, 1291 - Lamotte-du-Rhône, July 5, 1348) was an expatriate royal prince of the Crown of Castile, who lived and served in the Kingdom of France. Among his titles, Luis de la Cerda was the count of Talmont, count of Clermont and an admiral of France. He was also made the first 'Prince of Fortuna' (sovereign ruler of the Canary Islands) by Pope Clement VI in 1344, although he never actually set foot on the islands.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_de_la_Cerda

Thanks The Trastamaran and Blog Real for such interesting information. Reading about the story of Luis de la Cerda was like imagining his life as a TV series. He had an exciting life.

Note aside on his name, Cerdà is the name House of la Cerda that is still around and known as the Dukes of Medinaceli.

The Spanish version of Casa de la Cerda has more detailed information on this house. When you click on the link you will see briefly a pop up on your browser's upper right that says translate to your preferred language on your PC. If you miss it just reload/refresh the page.

Ever since the browsers installed auto translate, I've been able to read information on royals, history, science etc. from any foreign language web page. I'm still amazed on the times we live in, and that we don't have to put a Babel fish in our ears to translate like in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :lol:

The word Cerda is also the name of towns in Spain and Italy and another meaning, not related to the House, is cerda means female pig in Spanish. Is one of those words, like in every language, that has more than one meaning.

Last edited:
Thank you but like I said I’m aware of the years of his life and his titles… I wondered if anyone knows more about his role within the dynasty, as I’d imagine it was an important one

Re your specific question, so far the mentions on him are in two books with the ISBN number listed in two links below under the word Bibliography. But they don't link you directly to the online book from this page.

Luis de la Cerda This is the Spanish version of his entry, make sure you press on the Translate pop up before it fades away within seconds.

TheTrastamaran, I hope any of this above helps shed some more light also for others here that might find this thread, and your research quest, an interesting family group to research.

From that page with the auto translate:
Luis de la Cerda, born Louis de La Cerda and also known as Louis of Spain (France, 1291-Lamotte du Rhône, 1348), was the first count of Talmont in 1338 and of Clermont, admiral of France (1340-1341), sovereign prince of the Fortunate Islands (Canary Islands), despite never having been in the Canary Islands, and lord of Deza and Enciso .

The French version has five more reference sources than the one in Spanish:
Louis de la Cerda

Notes et références:

1. Généalogie de Louis de La Cerda sur le site FMG [archive]
2. Acte donné à Vincennes en janvier 1339,(Arch. Nat; JJ 71, n° 160) par lequel Philippe VI "en reconnaissances de ses bons et aggréables services", "lui octroye en échange de l'hommage lige, le château , la châtellenie et la ville de Talmont-sur Gironde, ainsi que l'ile d'Oléron, avec toutes leurs dépendances, fiefs et arrière fiefs, avec la haute et basse justice, sans retenir autre chose que de droit de battre monnaie".
3. Georges Daumet, « Louis de la Cerda ou d'Espagne », Bulletin Hispanique, nos 15-1, p.44,‎ 1913, p. 38-67 (lire en ligne [archive])
4. Georges Daumet, « Louis de la Cerda ou d'Espagne », Bulletin hispanique, n° 15-1,‎ 1913, p. 44
5. Froissard, éd. Luce, t.2, pp. 170 à 177 ; Jean le Bel, éd. Viard, t. 1, pp. 336- 339
6. Charles Verlinden, À propos de l'inféodation des Îles Canaries par le pape Clément VI à l'Infant Don Luis de la Cerda (1344) document paru dans le bulletin de l'Institut historique belge de Rome, 1985, no 55-56, p. 75-84
7. Petrarque, De vita solitaria, lib II, sectio VI, cap III

And even a portrait
Louis de la Cerda d'Espagne, comte de Talmont (mort en 1348) amiral en 1341

Last edited:
Thank you but like I said I’m aware of the years of his life and his titles… I wondered if anyone knows more about his role within the dynasty, as I’d imagine it was an important one

I'm inclined to tell you it was not part of the bigger picture within the Dynasty, from what I conclude on the limited amount of information available on him when compared to his father's.

The reason I gave you the links above, and to use auto translate on foreign language webs, is to use it as a starting point for the research on the historical character you are interested in.

As researcher, a starting point would be looking into the bibliography and references that mention him, and his times. That will lead you to other locations that accumulate data and if he is mentioned in more details, to see if your question on his influence in the world around him has a result that satisfies you.

I'll give you a clue if it was me doing the research: He is a vital part in the Dukes of Medinaceli history, they are the legitimate Royal branch removed by the Trastamara dynasty that took over Castille and Leon. In Spain's aristocracy the Medinaceli are the first amongst equals for that exact reason as direct descendants of the House of Burgundy.

So, to find data on him I would go to online family records made available by the House Medinaceli Foundation and use the web translate to dig into the past, Indiana Jones style, till you get a better picture of what this character did during his times within the area he lived in. Since he was no longer part of the bigger picture once the Trastamara cousins took over the throne the records on him would be limited to possibly the area he lived in.

Best wishes on your research and remember, sometimes one website might not have what you look for, but give you clues in the bibliography or references that might lead you to more information. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom