Royalty of Uganda: Ankole, Buganda, Bunyoro, Busoga, Rwenzururu, Toro

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiaraprin

Royal Highness
City
Near NY City
Country
United States
Recently, I met someone from the Kingdom of Buganda, which is within the country of Uganda in Africa. The monarchy has been reinstated and the King married in 1999 to a woman named Silvia, a graduate of NYU, and a citizen of Buganda.

Does anyone know anything about this African monarchy?? My curiosity has been peaked??

The monarchy has been reinstated and the King married in 1999 to a woman named Silvia, a graduate of NYU, and a citizen of Buganda.

There wedding was quite lavish and incredibly glittering. I've seen pictures, but I don't remember where.

Royalty of Buganda

Buganda is the kingdom of the Bangada people, the largest of the four traditional kingdoms in present-day Uganda.

Organised and ruled by a king called the Kabaka, the Baganda formed the political kernel of the future country, Uganda . It is now a constitutional monarchy, with a parliament.

Buganda covers the land immediately to the north of Lake Victoria extending slightly to the south west. It was formerly the name of a province in Uganda. The Luganda language is widely spoken there (also by others than the Baganda), for example in Kampala.

Originally a vassal state of Bunyoro it grew rapidly in power in the eighteenth and nineteenth century becoming the dominant state in the region. It became the closest ally of Great Britain in the region and rose as British power increased in the region. Buganda was given a great deal of control over the other kingdoms in the protectorate: Toro, Nkore, and Bunyoro. When the colony became an independent state, it was named Uganda, the Swahili name of Buganda. However, the monarchy and much of Buganda's autonomy was revoked, along with that of the other Ugandan kingdoms, in 1967. The monarchy was restored in 1993.

From http://en.wikipedia.org
Modern Flag

Attachments

• FlagofBuganda.JPG
    FlagofBuganda.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 3,056
Kings of Buganda

• Kintu, late fourteenth century
  • Chwa I, early fifteenth century
  • Kimera, c.1420-c.1447
  • Tembo, c.1447-c.1474
  • Kiggala, c.1474-c.1501
  • Kiyamba, c.1501-c.1501
  • Kiyima, c.1528-c.1528
  • Nikibinge, c.1555-c.1582
  • Mulondo, c.1582-late 16th century with...
  • Jemba, late 16th century and...
  • Suna I, late sixteenth century-c.1609
  • Sekamanya, c.1609-early seventeenth century
  • Kimbugwe, early seventeenth century
  • Katerga, c.1636-c.1663
  • Mutebi I, Juuko, and Kayemba, c.1663-c.1690
  • Tebandeke and Ndawula, c.1690-c.1717
  • Kagulu, Kikulwe and Mawanda, c.1717-c.1744
  • Mwanga, Namugala, and Kyabagu, c.1744-c.1771
  • Junju and Semakokiro, c.1771-1797
  • Semakokiro (alone), c.1797-1814
  • Kamaya, 1814-1836
  • Suna II, 1836-1856
  • Mutesa I, 1856-1884
  • Mwanga II, 1884-1888
  • Kiwewa Mutebi II, 1888
  • Kelema, 1888-1889
  • Mwanga II (2nd time) 1889-1897
  • Daudi Chwa, 1897-1939
  • Mutesa II, 1939-1966
  • Interregnum 1966-1993
  • Muwenda Mutebi, 1993-present

Ssabasajja Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II, 36th king of Buganda.

July 31, 1999: The enthronement ceremony of Ssabasajja Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II was held when he was crowned 36th King of Buganda.
APL Pictures

Attachments

• 0000288241-002.jpg
    0000288241-002.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,011
  • 0000288241-003.jpg
    0000288241-003.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 605
  • 0000288241-008.jpg
    0000288241-008.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,200
  • 0000288241-009.jpg
    0000288241-009.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 610
  • 0000288241-013.jpg
    0000288241-013.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 632
  • 0000288241-016.jpg
    0000288241-016.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 0000288241-017.jpg
    0000288241-017.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 626
  • 0000288241-022.jpg
    0000288241-022.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 828
  • 0000288241-024.jpg
    0000288241-024.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 700
King Ssabasajja Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II married Nnaabagereka Sylvia Nagginda on August 27th 1999.

Attachments

• wed_ful.JPG
    wed_ful.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 732
Current Queen of Buganda Kingdom
Nnaabagereka Sylvia Nagginda is the daughter of John Mulumba Luswata of Nkumba, Busiro; and Rebecca Nakintu Musoke who currently lives in New York. She is the granddaughter of Mr. George William Musoke and Mrs. Nora Musoke of Nazzigo, Kyaggwe; and Omutaka Nelson Nkalubo Sebugwawo and Mrs. Catherine Sebugwawo of Nkumba Born in the United Kingdom and raised in Uganda, she lived in the United States for several years before getting married to Kabaka Mutebi I1

Attachments

• sylvia10.jpg
    sylvia10.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 2,584
You will find a wedding thread on King Ssabasajja Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II and Nnaabagereka Sylvia Nagginda here in the Old, New, Royal and Blue forum.

I came very close to having the honor of meeting Their Majesties when they visited New York some time ago. A good friend of mine is from Buganda and was going to bring me to a reception in Their Majesties' honor. At the last minute, I could not go because they cut down the number of guests coming. I felt quite sad to miss practicing my curtsey! However, my friend told me as a native Bugandan, one is supposed to get on his/her knees and bow forward to the ground!

tiaraprin said:
I came very close to having the honor of meeting Their Majesties when they visited New York some time ago. A good friend of mine is from Buganda and was going to bring me to a reception in Their Majesties' honor. At the last minute, I could not go because they cut down the number of guests coming. I felt quite sad to miss practicing my curtsey! However, my friend told me as a native Bugandan, one is supposed to get on his/her knees and bow forward to the ground!

Thanks for sharing tiaraprin and sorry for your lost opportunity.

From what I have red, the King is quite an exceptional person. He uses his status to encourage his people to participate in immunization and AIDS programs. He also attends AIDS conferences.

Mandy said:
Thanks for sharing tiaraprin and sorry for your lost opportunity.

From what I have red, the King is quite an exceptional person. He uses his status to encourage his people to participate in immunization and AIDS programs. He also attends AIDS conferences.

Yes, His Majesty does all that and more. Queen Sylvia has been taken to the hearts of the people after an initial reaction of disbelief that His Majesty was marrying a woman they considered "American."

I have some footage of their wedding, and her gown and tiara are gorgeous!! She was truly a regally royal bride!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/08/21/students_set_to_welcome_african_queen/

Students set to welcome African queen

School welcomes African queen Visit offers cultural lesson

By Lisa Capone, Globe Correspondent | August 21, 2005

Students at Salem's Greenhouse School took a crash course in East African culture this summer -- and it shows. They can rattle off the meaning behind each color of the flag of Uganda, and then croon a sweet rendition of the anthem of Buganda, a Ugandan kingdom. And especially important this week, they've got the proper protocol for singing it in public down cold.

http://www.theshorthorn.com/archive/2005/fall/05-aug-26/n082605-01.html

Ugandan queen to grace campus
The Africa Program helped arrange for the queen to speak and visit.Queen Sylvia Nagginda Luswata of Buganda, the largest kingdom in Uganda, will visit campus today to attend a luncheon and visit the Smart Hospital.
By Elyse Malanowski
Contributor to The Shorthorn

Musicians, motivational speakers and comedians are among a few guests who have come to visit UTA in the past. But today, students will be able to say that the Queen of Buganda, the largest kingdom in Uganda, stopped by for a visit.

This one brought to mind the scandals in Monaco with dear Albert and his admitted and alleged offspring (s) :rolleyes:

Baganda royal family disowns ‘prince’ Kimbugwe
Richard MutumbaKampalaThe Buganda royal family has disowned Prince Edward Kimbugwe popularly known as 'German'. The royals say Kimbugwe, of Prince Kimbugwe Foundation, is not a son of the late Sir Edward Muteesa II.

A royal committee appointed by the head of the Balangira (royals) clan, Sabalangira Moses Kayima to establish whether Kimbugwe is a son of King Muteesa II, concluded that the person in question was merely passing off as one.

More scandals and gossip on the Ugandan Royals. Uganda is the only country in recent years that reverted from Republic to restore the monarchy system while still being a Republic. Confused? Imagine if Republican Germany restored the internal pre-1918 monarchs it had and you get the idea of present Uganda's system. Quite an interesting experiment in politics and society.

But back to the gossip: The Queen Mother of Tooro's influence reminiscents so much of the mother of young King Louis XIII of France, Maria de Medicis, during the time she was the one who ruled when he was still a child. History repeats itself.
Kemigisa: Gadaffi is just a friend
The queen mother of the Batooro, has faced various accusations, among them usurping the prime minister’s powers and having a 'special relationship' with Libyan leader Muammar Gadaffi. Special Correspondent Bamuturaki Musinguzi reports

She has defied controversy, intrigue andthe gossip typical of any kingdom's royalty to bring up the world’s youngest reigning monarch, King Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru of Tooro.

She has used her role as queen mother to bring about development in Tooro through her contacts and friendships. She is founder and patron of the Tooro Women Development Association, which markets handicraft products of its members, among other activities. It has a centre that acts both as the collection point and a computer training location for girls who have dropped out of school

Last edited:
Uganda: Queen Mother Crowns Fort Portal Beauty
April 20, 2006
Joseph Mugisa

19-year old Jennifer Kasemiire, an S6 leaver was on April 15, 2006 crowned the new beauty queen for Fort Portal. Toro Queen Mother Best Kemigisa who was the chief guest announced Jennifer Kasemiire as the winner at around 2 a.m.
Kemigisa sent the crowd into laughter when she said that King Oyo, her son, was lucky to have very many beautiful girls who could even win the Miss World title if they got the chance. She said: " King Oyo is happy to have raised these good girls in his generation. He wishes you the best."

The ambassador of Uganda, Princess Elizabeth Bagaya, stands on Monday 24,04,2006 in Berlin at Schloss Bellevue. The ambassador was there for the delivery of her authentication in the seat of the Federal President.

Photo by Bernd Settnik (DPA)

Wow! Elizabeth is still around! I remember her from her bio, several years ago, when she wrote about her fascinating life as a model (she was introduced to modeling by her friends Princess Margaret of Britain and her husband Lord Snowdown) in Europe, as an Ambassador to the macabre Idi Amin (who was infatuated with her) and as a refugee when she escaped from Amin's Uganda. Also on the lost of her husband and her post refugee efforts to bring democracy back to Uganda. Here is a short PDF on her, also known as Elizabeth of Toro

I'm really glad not only that she is still around but doing what she does best, represent her country as an Ambasador. She was also the first female lawyer in Uganda and speaks several languages incluiding Danish:
Elizabeth of Toro: The Odyssey of an African Princess. - book reviews

Last edited:
Uganda: Thousands Celebrate 120th Anniversary

June 6, 2006
Posted to the web June 6, 2006
Namugongo
Thousands of pilgrims from at least ten African nations gathered at Namugongo Shrine on Saturday, June 3, to mark 120 years since the martyrdom of the Uganda Martyrs by King Mwanga of Buganda...

Uganda: Ekitoobero Draws Thousands
When the monarch stepped on stage to address the crowd, he said he felt like dancing as the artistes sang.
Before speaking to the crowd Kabaka "ordered" that artistes Joanita Kawalya, Jose Chameleone and Mesach Semakula sing for him because he would be leaving soon.
About the CBS FM's staff who sang an anthem for the radio, the Kabaka said;
"I wish you had included me. Next time include me and I will sing."
His suggestion was welcomed by wild cheers from the throngs of people...

Uganda: Ugandans Urged to Fight Corruption
June 4, 2006
Posted to the web June 5, 2006

PRIME minister Apolo Nsibambi, Archbishop Luke Orombi and King Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru IV have asked Ugandans to devote themselves to fighting corruption and to learn good values from the martyrs.
They made the appeal during prayers at the Martyrs day celebrations at Namugongo on Saturday.

Last edited:
I remember watcing a documentary on the Kingdom of Buganda and them talking about the history of the family and the kings of the past and the present king.Which was very nice they had a short interview with both the king and queen and even the king's younger brother the prince was happy his brother was crowned king after so many years of not having a king.

The President of Uganda had announced the official coronation of Prince Charles Whesley Mumbere to be held in October 2009.
The kingdom of Rwenzururu was officially recognised by Uganda's authorities a few days ago
The Kingdom of Rwenzururu site

Rwenzururu kingdom restored

More on the restoration of the Rwenzururu kingdom in Uganda.
Link kindly provided by Savinien.

Nursing assistant returns to Mountains of the Moon to reclaim crown | World news | guardian.co.uk

20 October 2009; excerpts:

Nursing assistant returns to Mountains of the Moon to reclaim crown

On Monday, Charles Wesley Mumbere's royal title became official once more when he was crowned head of the 300,000 strong Rwenzururu kingdom at a ceremony in western Uganda. Thousands of people in Kasese turned to celebrate the restoration of the monarchy, which was abolished in 1967 along with the country's other kingdoms by the then president Milton Obote.

Mumbere, who was 13 at the time, had inherited the title a year before after his father died while leading a rebellion seeking to end oppression of his Bakonzo people by the Toro kingdom. The young king stayed in the snow-capped Rwenzori mountains until 1982 when he and his soldiers handed over their weapons to the government in the hope of restoring their kingdom.

Following 10 years of talks, Museveni announced in August that Rwenzururu would become the country's seventh kingdom.

The various Ugandan kings have responsibility for cultural and social issues but no political power.

Buganda kingdom rejects new Uganda land law
BBC article

Tension is high between the Buganda kingdom and the government of President Yoweri Museveni.
The kingdom feels the new law encroaches on the king's territory.
The king currently has absolute jurisdiction over land within the kingdom.
The new law gives tenants more rights to resist eviction by landlords.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gadaffi rocked by talk of affair with African queen
5 Jul 2009

As Colonel Muammar Gadaffi, the leader of Libya, hosted an African Union summit last week, his name was romantically linked in a court case with the queen mother of an ancestral Ugandan kingdom.

Two editors of a Ugandan daily newspaper are being prosecuted for alleging that he is having an affair with her.

The prosecution arose from a series of articles that portrayed Gadaffi, 67, as being in love with Best Kemigisa, 42, the attractive mother of King Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukidi IV of Toro, one of five ancient kingdoms that make up Uganda.

Full article: TimesOnline

HH Princess Sheillah Nvannungi Cindrellah of the Buganda kingdom in Africa will take part in BBC 3 new reality show "Princesses Undercover" on March 7th.
HRH Princess Aaliya Sultana Babi of Balasinor (Western India) and Princess Xenia Florence Gabriela Sophie Iris of Saxony (Germany) will participate in the show too.
The princesses are going to share a modest three-bed semi, ironically called Queen's Lodge. They will try to find Prince Charming.

Tantrums & tiaras: Princesses on the pull

The tombs of five Buganda kings are destroyed by fire

The famous Kasubi Tombs were destroyed by fire on March 16th 2010 in the kingdom of Buganda.
Four of Buganda’s kings; Muteesa I, Mwanga Basammula, Daudi Chwa and Sir Edward Muteesa II are buried at the Kasubi tombs. Muteesa II is the father of the reigning king, Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II.
Situated on Kasubi hill, within Kampala, Uganda, the Kasubi Tombs site is an active religious place in the Buganda Kingdom. To the Baganda the Kabaka is the unquestioned symbol of spiritual, political, and social state of the Buganda nation. As the burial ground for the previous four Kabakas, therefore, the Kasubi Tombs is a place where the Kabaka and others in Buganda’s complex cultural hierarchy frequently carry out important centuries-old Ganda rituals.
Kasubi Tombs are the part of UNESCO World Heritage.

Buganda king announces a five day mourning for Kasubi tombs - BBC
Suspicion of arson causes deadly clashes in Uganda - The NY Times
Two protesters were shot dead at clashes with police after a fire at the Kasubi Tombs - Times Online
Religious leaders visit the ruins of Kasubi tombs - Daily Monitor
Kasubi tombs fire puzzles security - New Vision Online

Last edited:
An incalculable loss to the world and the loyal subjects of the Kingdom of Buganda. My sympathies lie with them during this time and NOT with the 'president for what looks like life' Musevini, whose actions in this case are 'somewhat suspicious'.

Back
Top Bottom