Royalty of Scotland and Ireland

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i am searching after information about the scottish king , gille adomnan siol cuinn, do you know who he is ? was he a king or just a noble man? åsa alderlof sweden

I am unaware of any king with that name. any idea when he lived?

In the case of the Scottish independence that has more chances now there will be a part of the population supporting a different King than that of England?

They would probably eventually settle for a republic with God knows who as president and Nicola Sturgeon as Prime Minister.

They would probably eventually settle for a republic with God knows who as president and Nicola Sturgeon as Prime Minister.

if it turned to a republic would the scottish peers titles be abolished or stay recognized as peers in the united kingdom ?!

I was surprised to learn recently that Yolande de Dreux, second wife & Queen of Alexander III gave birth to a still-born child several months after he had died accidentally. Had the child lived, Scottish history might have been very different indeed.

Yes indeed and also Yolande of Dreux's son from her second marriage,Jean de Montfort Duke of Brittany was one of the causes of the War of the Breton Succession which then led to the 100 years war!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Montfort

if it turned to a republic would the scottish peers titles be abolished or stay recognized as peers in the united kingdom ?!

In a republic no aristocratic titles are legally recognised, so it would probably be a situation in which peers would retain their titles, (as they do in republics in Europe like Germany,) but they would have no standing any more. There wouldn't be any more United Kingdom if Scotland became independent and a republic.

Last edited:
In a republic no aristocratic titles are legally recognised, so it would probably be a situation in which peers would retain their titles, (as they do in republics in Europe like Germany,) but they would have no standing any more. There wouldn't be any more United Kingdom if Scotland became independent and a republic.

Why a republic? There is no republican tradition in Scotland.

Why a republic? There is no republican tradition in Scotland.

There is a republican movement in Scotland, and it's closely linked to the independence movement.

If Scotland were to become independent it would face 3 options: keep the House of Windsor, restore one of the Stuart lines, or become a republic. The 2nd is the least likely to happen.

There is no republican majority in Scotland.

In point of fact, there is.

It is called the SNP.

Not true! The SNP is not a republican party and has always stated that an independent Scotland would remain a monarchy. It is true that some in the party favour a republic, but then the same can be said of the Labour and Lib Dems. Indeed, there are even republicans in the Conservative Party.

There is a republican movement in Scotland, and it's closely linked to the independence movement.

If Scotland were to become independent it would face 3 options: keep the House of Windsor, restore one of the Stuart lines, or become a republic. The 2nd is the least likely to happen.

The Green Party, which is in favour of independence, is the only republican party in the Scottish Parliament.

The 2nd option would my choice.

i am searching after information about the scottish king , gille adomnan siol cuinn, do you know who he is ? was he a king or just a noble man? åsa alderlof sweden

He appears to have been a nobleman but this is all I came up with this:

Giolla Brighid Mac Margad, of the Isles
Also Known As: "Gillibrigdi", "Gillebride of Clan Angus", "Gillebride Mac Gille Adomnan of the ISLES"
Birthdate: circa 1090
Birthplace: Morven, Argyleshire, Scotland
Death: Died 1164 in Renfrewshire, Scotland

Also, Google this book, The Highlanders of Scotland: Their Origin, History and Antiquities by William Forbes Skene and round about page 40 there is a section about Soil Cuinn which appears to have been a tribe.

Last edited:
I am a Mackinnon cadet of the Chief's family descended from the 25th Chief, Lachlan Og. My Y-DNA indicates that I am descended from the Celtic royal house, however, the senior representatives family of the male line of the original Gaelic royal house of Scotland are probably the MacGregors of Glen Carnaig- led by Sir Malcolm MacGregor, 24th Chief of Clan Gregor. His DNA supports this claim. He is also descended in several female lines from the Stewart kings. Another candidate for headship of Scotland's original Celtic royal house would be Hugh Mackay, 14th Lord Reay, Chief of Clan Morgain or Mackay. His family claims descent in the male line from King MacBeth's uncle, Prince Donald of Moray, and in the female line from King Lulach, the last of the Celtic royal house to reign over the Scots, whose daughter married the great-grandson of the above Donald of Moray. Lord Reay's DNA has not been tested, however, but the DNA of those Mackays who have been tested indicate kinship with Sir Malcolm MacGregor, and descent from the kings of Dal-Riada and Alba (Scotland).

I am also a cadet of the Mackinnon chiefs. According to Rev Donald Dimsdale Mackinnon, author of the respected Memoirs of Clan Fingon, published in 1890 and again in 1899, Sir Lachlan "Mor", 28th Chief, had at least two sons by his first marriage to Mary Maclean of Duart and Morvern. The first of these, Iain, died vita parentis, but was the father of the famous Iain Dubh, 29th Chief, who fought for King James VIII and his son, Charles Stuart. The second son was Donald, who after a fall out with Sir Lachlan, emigrated to Antigua, where he became a member of the Legislative Assembly, and practiced (without licence) as a physician. He changed his first name to Daniel, and died in 1720. His son, or grandson, actually travelled to Edinburgh to record his family tree at the Lyon Court. It was Daniel's great-grandson, Wiliam Alexander who was designated 33rd Chief by Lord Kinoul, the Lord Lyon, in 1811, after a dispute of three years, following the death of John of Riachan, 31st Chief without heirs in 1808. Anne Mackinnon, 38th Chief is a direct descendant of William Alexander.

Ian of Mishinish, 1st Chieftain of Mishinish, was the only son of Sir Lachlan, above, by his second marriage to a daughter of The Macleod of Macleod, or the MacLeod of Uilnish. Ian died as late as 1759 in Mishinish, Isle of Mull. Therefore, his line could not possibly be senior to that of the present chief (his half-brother Donald/Daniel died in 1720).

I am, however, in dispute with the Lyon Court over the nomination of Anne's son, Andrew, as her heir. His father is an Englishman, Allan Jeffrey, who is not a Mackinnon. The true heir is Anne's nearest agnatic cousin (in terms of the Lyon Court ruling of 1811), who descends in the male line from Captain Lachlan Bellingham Mackinnon, 2nd son of the 33rd Chief. This elusive heir lives in America. I am still trying to track him down. He should succeed Anne as 39th Chief. She became Chief as a consequence of the death of her brother, Andrew, in a motor accident in September, 1964. Her uncle, Lt Col Ian Kroyer Mackinnon, resigned his rights to the Chiefship in her favour. He wrote a letter to me confirming this.

For the record, the Glencarnock/Glencarnaig/Glencarnoch line of MacGregors are certainly not the senior line of the MacGregors.
This is propaganda deliberately dreamed up in the late 1700's early 1800's which unfortunately continues till today !

I'm very interested in hearing more about what you know about this guy as I believe he is a scam artist

my reply

Have you seen the genealogy of this woman Ardra Raye McKinnon? She has very convincing evidence.

line according to what is in this womans genealogy.

Now as far as Sir Malcolm MacGregor the 24th Chief of MacGregors you might want to go to his Offical site and see the history because the main line died out according to the Chief. This woman genealogy has put down Doungallus forth son as maybe being related to the MacGregor. Findanus the eldest of Doungallus.

I do not understand why a person would insult someone that has a clean proven genealogy without first seeing the facts? I have seen her proofs and like I said before it is solid, but to be insultive is in bad form. Best Regards, Ancient Princess

--------

Dear Ancient Princess the Main line of MacGregors most certainly did not die out

This is propaganda to help support the false and unrightfully claim of the Glencarnock MacGregors who still user the position of Chief

I am a Mackinnon cadet of the Chief's family descended from the 25th Chief, Lachlan Og. My Y-DNA indicates that I am descended from the Celtic royal house, however, the senior representatives family of the male line of the original Gaelic royal house of Scotland are probably the MacGregors of Glen Carnaig- led by Sir Malcolm MacGregor, 24th Chief of Clan Gregor. His DNA supports this claim. He is also descended in several female lines from the Stewart kings. Another candidate for headship of Scotland's original Celtic royal house would be Hugh Mackay, 14th Lord Reay, Chief of Clan Morgain or Mackay. His family claims descent in the male line from King MacBeth's uncle, Prince Donald of Moray, and in the female line from King Lulach, the last of the Celtic royal house to reign over the Scots, whose daughter married the great-grandson of the above Donald of Moray. Lord Reay's DNA has not been tested, however, but the DNA of those Mackays who have been tested indicate kinship with Sir Malcolm MacGregor, and descent from the kings of Dal-Riada and Alba (Scotland).

I am also a cadet of the Mackinnon chiefs. According to Rev Donald Dimsdale Mackinnon, author of the respected Memoirs of Clan Fingon, published in 1890 and again in 1899, Sir Lachlan "Mor", 28th Chief, had at least two sons by his first marriage to Mary Maclean of Duart and Morvern. The first of these, Iain, died vita parentis, but was the father of the famous Iain Dubh, 29th Chief, who fought for King James VIII and his son, Charles Stuart. The second son was Donald, who after a fall out with Sir Lachlan, emigrated to Antigua, where he became a member of the Legislative Assembly, and practiced (without licence) as a physician. He changed his first name to Daniel, and died in 1720. His son, or grandson, actually travelled to Edinburgh to record his family tree at the Lyon Court. It was Daniel's great-grandson, Wiliam Alexander who was designated 33rd Chief by Lord Kinoul, the Lord Lyon, in 1811, after a dispute of three years, following the death of John of Riachan, 31st Chief without heirs in 1808. Anne Mackinnon, 38th Chief is a direct descendant of William Alexander.

Ian of Mishinish, 1st Chieftain of Mishinish, was the only son of Sir Lachlan, above, by his second marriage to a daughter of The Macleod of Macleod, or the MacLeod of Uilnish. Ian died as late as 1759 in Mishinish, Isle of Mull. Therefore, his line could not possibly be senior to that of the present chief (his half-brother Donald/Daniel died in 1720).

I am, however, in dispute with the Lyon Court over the nomination of Anne's son, Andrew, as her heir. His father is an Englishman, Allan Jeffrey, who is not a Mackinnon. The true heir is Anne's nearest agnatic cousin (in terms of the Lyon Court ruling of 1811), who descends in the male line from Captain Lachlan Bellingham Mackinnon, 2nd son of the 33rd Chief. This elusive heir lives in America. I am still trying to track him down. He should succeed Anne as 39th Chief. She became Chief as a consequence of the death of her brother, Andrew, in a motor accident in September, 1964. Her uncle, Lt Col Ian Kroyer Mackinnon, resigned his rights to the Chiefship in her favour. He wrote a letter to me confirming this.

It has recently come to my attention That a surviving branch of the MacGregors of Glenstrae now led by Matthew MacGregor of Glenstrae dispute the right of Sir Malcolm MacGregor to claim the Clan Gregor chiefship. Matthew MacGregor claims representation of a line senior to that of Sir Malcolm. If he is correct, then he possibly also represents the original Dal-Riada royal Scottish clan.

The Irish Sword of State has been returned to Dublin Castle after 95 years for an exhibition,it dates from the 1660's and was a symbol of royal authority in Ireland and displayed at the throne room in Dublin Castle. In 1922 it was removed and taken back to the UK and housed in the Tower of London.The sword will form part of the "Making Majesty: Building and Borrowing the Regal Image at Dublin Castle" which opens at Dublin Castle on 25 September and runs until 28 April 2018.

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/31728/the-irish-sword-of-state

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0919/905928-sword-of-state/

I'm not sure if anybody has answered this already, but the current MacCarthy Mór is Liam Trant McCarthy. His tanist is his son, Alexander William Trant McCarthy. Here's a list of living Irish Gaelic royals and their tanists:

-Prince of Desmond: Liam Trant McCarthy Mór, tanist is his son Alexander.
-Prince of Thomond: Sir Conor Myles John O'Brien, his tanist is his second cousin, Conor Anthony O'Brien.
-Prince of Connaught: Desmond Roderic O'Conor Don. His tanist is his son Philip Hugh O'Conor.
-Prince of Breffni: Geoffrey Philip Columb O'Rorke. His tanist is the rightful chief, his tenth cousin Clayton Eugene O'Roak.
-Prince of Tirconnell: Rev. Fr. Hugh Ambrose O'Donel, O.F.M. His tanist is his distant cousin, the Duke of Tetuan.
-Prince of Tirowen: Don Carlos O'Neill, Prince of the Fews, Marqués de la Granja. His tanist is his son, Carlos O'Neill II, Marqués del Norte.
-Prince of Ulster: Hugo Ricciardi O'Neill. His tanist is his son, Jorge Maria Empis O'Neill.
-Prince of Oriel: The Baron McMahon (William Alexander Patrick McMahon?).
-Prince of Leinster: William Butler Kavanagh Jr. His tanist is his son, Simon MacMorrough Kavanagh.
-Prince and rightful High King of Ireland: a new claimant, a minor, calling himself Díolún mac Críostóir. Last I heard, he is trying to gain support of the last Brehon and another European Princes.

My mistake, Pyers O'Conor Nash lives at Clonalis House the title could not be passed to him via his mother.

Misinformation about The O'Rorke

I'm not sure if anybody has answered this already, but the current MacCarthy Mór is Liam Trant McCarthy. His tanist is his son, Alexander William Trant McCarthy. Here's a list of living Irish Gaelic royals and their tanists:

-Prince of Desmond: Liam Trant McCarthy Mór, tanist is his son Alexander.
-Prince of Thomond: Sir Conor Myles John O'Brien, his tanist is his second cousin, Conor Anthony O'Brien.
-Prince of Connaught: Desmond Roderic O'Conor Don. His tanist is his son Philip Hugh O'Conor.
-Prince of Breffni: Geoffrey Philip Columb O'Rorke. His tanist is the rightful chief, his tenth cousin Clayton Eugene O'Roak.
-Prince of Tirconnell: Rev. Fr. Hugh Ambrose O'Donel, O.F.M. His tanist is his distant cousin, the Duke of Tetuan.
-Prince of Tirowen: Don Carlos O'Neill, Prince of the Fews, Marqués de la Granja. His tanist is his son, Carlos O'Neill II, Marqués del Norte.
-Prince of Ulster: Hugo Ricciardi O'Neill. His tanist is his son, Jorge Maria Empis O'Neill.
-Prince of Oriel: The Baron McMahon (William Alexander Patrick McMahon?).
-Prince of Leinster: William Butler Kavanagh Jr. His tanist is his son, Simon MacMorrough Kavanagh.
-Prince and rightful High King of Ireland: a new claimant, a minor, calling himself Díolún mac Críostóir. Last I heard, he is trying to gain support of the last Brehon and another European Princes.

You are publishing misinformation about the O'Rorke and it is getting annoying. Philip O'Rorke has been recognised as The O'Rorke by the Chief Herald of Ireland. Do you take the Heralds office for fools? Do you not think that they researched Philip's claim? Do you not realise that Philip descends from a proven and ancient line of Irish aristocracy, not only on the O'Rorke side, but through the female line as well, including the Blosse-Lynch family of Partry, of the Tribes of Galway? You are a bunch of pathetic Americans trying to piggy back on the European aristocracy. Clayton Eugene O'Roak has not been recognised at Philip's rightful Tanist, neither has he been recognised as the rightful Chief of the name. He has simply created a website claiming to be so!! Anyone could do that. These false claims are brought about by jealously and well, its just ridiculous!. Philip is elderly and does not have the time to chase up all these so called claimants. Stop publishing rubbish!!

Domhangairt said:
It has recently come to my attention That a surviving branch of the MacGregors of Glenstrae now led by Matthew MacGregor of Glenstrae dispute the right of Sir Malcolm MacGregor to claim the Clan Gregor chiefship. Matthew MacGregor claims representation of a line senior to that of Sir Malcolm. If he is correct, then he possibly also represents the original Dal-Riada royal Scottish clan.

Either way the best Matthew could hope for is that the MacGregors of Glenstrae become a separate recognized clan isn't it? Maybe calling themselves Clan MacGregor rather than Clan Gregor.

The Lord Lyon is the one who de-facto recognizes clan chiefs by granting (or recognising) their right to use the undifferentiated arms of the name, in this case the MacGregor arms.

It would be almost inconceivable that he would strip the arms from someone in favour of an older claim after the fact. Especially when you consider that Sir Malcolm was the former head of the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs

Back
Top Bottom