The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2020, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Archaeologists in Spain are searching for the remains of Irish noble Red Hugh O'Donnell,Lord of Tyrconnell who died in exile at Valladolid in 1602.

https://donegalnews.com/2020/05/dig-...hugh-odonnell/

Old 05-23-2020, 04:55 AM

Catlin & High King, I’ve not got a dog in the O'Rorke fight but both of you are clearly wrong on different points!

Ok, that’s a little combative. I’m sorry, but seriously.

My first wondering is if the user “High King of Erin” is the “minor” Dillon son of Christopher?

The user name and posting a list that at the very least contains a large number of widely recognised individuals regarded as clan chiefs and then adding at the bottom “Prince and rightful High King of Ireland: a new claimant, a minor, calling himself Díolún mac Críostóir. Last I heard, he is trying to gain support of the last Brehon and another European Princes” might suggest so?

- That his father is still alive might not be an issue, as a number of would be claimants to clans/princedoms give the go ahead to other relatives to use the titles.

- But there is no “last Brehon”, and no European Prince worth his salt would give their “support” to even the most worthy and undisputed on that list, not officially at least.

A search of Díolún mac Críostóir’s Quora account shows:

- That he makes his claim of Kingship alleged decent from Rory O’Conor. Why he thinks he’d have a better claim than The O'Conor Don to be King of Ireland I have no clue.

- His claim as to the Prince of Breffni (The O’Rouke) being “His tanist is the rightful chief, his tenth cousin Clayton Eugene O'Roak” may be because Dillons “mom” is an O’Rouke.

Would it be unreasonable to suppose that Clayton is either a family member or someone that he met online and is trying to gain “support” for his claim of the throne of Ireland from?

BUT

Caitlin, when it comes to recognising clan chiefs EVERYBODY “take(s) the Heralds office for fools”!

That’s why the Irish Government banned them from doing it anymore.

Some of the chiefs they recognised were obviously legit because everybody knew their pedigree- it helped if a big ancient physical house/castle or British/Spanish noble title passed along the line with the chiefdom- some were proven to be total frauds (the McCarthy Mor scandal), others were of debatable lines of decent, and yet others were almost certainly frauds but after the Heralds office got out of the business of recognition they were just left to do their thing.

The Heralds office won’t be recognising any more chiefs or giving any direction on rightful tanists.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

archaeologists have discovered bones during the search for the remains of Rebel Irish Lord Red Hugh O’Donnell in a Valladolid.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...nell-1.4259973

Archaeologists believe they have found the burial place of Red Hugh O'Donnell

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020...l-excavations/
Old 07-11-2020, 01:18 PM

Claim as Heiress of MacKinnons of Mishnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHiker View Post
Wow, So much information in this thread.
This is Great!

Ancient Princess, I haven't had time to read the entire thread -
But I am curious how your quest is going. I wish you luck.

Your claim to MacKinnon sounds amazing.

Personally, my mother's family claimed that they were "MacLeod", but I have been unable to verify this. This is on my to-do list

I think ancient princess has finally conceded because she has no claim, the two people she supposedly was descended from had no children and not only that her ancestor was born after the death of the
"mother" so she had to change that story. She tried every which way she could by changing her tree several times, but could never prove it past her Prince Edward Island ancestor. Everyone should be careful what information they take from other people's trees as there are many inaccuracies a lot of times and falsified documents of originals.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Spanish Archaeologists in Valladolid have discovered 16 skeletons at the site of the former Franciscan church in the hunt for the remains of Red Hugh .

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/h...tons-1.4296839
Old 02-16-2021, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The search on for the remains of Patrick Sarsfield, 1st Earl of Lucan a leading Catholic Jacobite during the Williamite War in Ireland from 1689 to 1691.

Patrick Sarsfield led the 17,000 Irish Catholic nobles and soldiers known 'Wild Geese' into exile after the Treaty of Limerick which ended the Wars. The Irish exiles ended up in the armies of Catholic France and Spain. The Earl was killed at the Battle of Landen in 1693 and was buried at the nearby l'eglise St Martin de Huy.

Recent excavations may have discovered the burial site.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...gure-1.4486220

Tags
family, history, ireland, irish royalty, pesent, royal, scotland, scottish clans, scottish royalty