Royalty of New Zealand

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toledo

Heir Presumptive
City
Amsterdam, Upstate NY
Country
United States
New Zealand has it's very own Royalty, here is a thread to place the news and interesting sites. :)

picture of Maori Queen Dame Te Ata

Maori Queen's date with Destiny raises eyebrows
Tuesday May 23, 2006

On the day that the Labour Party's political heavyweights arrived at Turangawaewae Marae to honour the 40th anniversary of the coronation of the Maori Queen, the Destiny Church's leader, Brian Tamaki, upstaged them.

Celebrations for Maori Queen wrap up
May 23, 2006

Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu was elected in 1966, making her the sixth in her line and the first female monarch.
The Maori Queen shrugged off health problems to put on a brave face on the final day of celebrations. She arrived in the 1953 Chrysler that was gifted to her family from Queen Elizabeth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruby party for Dame Te Ata
11 May 2006
null.gif

By Yvonne Tahana

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Coronation committee chairman Tom Moana said planning for the event started on the last day of last year's coronation. It had to, as it will mark the longest reign of any Maori monarch, he said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"It's certainly a landmark occasion. It's the longest ever individual's holding of that particular mantle for Kingitanga. It's very special." [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The celebratory programme includes the launch of a documentary on Dame Te Ata, and she is due to give a jubilee address. [/FONT]

Coronation speech brings tears and fears
24 May 2006
null.gif
By Yvonne Tahana

After nearly a week of waiting, more than 5000 people at Turangawaewae Marae were hushed yesterday as Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu delivered her coronation anniversary speech.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]A tiny and fragile figure, Dame Te Ata stood on the steps of Mahingarangi and quietly told the gathering she now found it difficult to speak for long periods. "I can't find words to express my gratitude. If I could find all the most beautiful words, I would put them together and lay them among you, to help me with my thoughts of affection."[/FONT]

Celebrations finish with fireworks
24 May 2006

More than 30,000 people were believed to have joined in the week-long festivities celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Maori Queen's coronation in Ngaruawahia.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Ms Templeton said Dame Te Ata said she was embarrassed with the accolades showered on her, and she was humbled and moved by the turnout of Pacific Island dignitaries, the cabinet and National Party. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Prime Minister Helen Clark and cabinet members attended the ceremony yesterday, along with Queen Halaevalu Mata'aho of Tonga, Princess Kekaulike Kawananakoa of Hawaii and royalty from the Cook Islands. [/FONT]

Maori Queen looks to 150th anniversary of Kingitanga, in 2008

23 May 2006
The Coronation hui at Ngaruawahia reached its climax on Tuesday, with a speech by the Maori Queen looking forward to commemorations in 2008.
By then, it will mark the 150th anniversary of the formation of the Kingitanga.

old news about her:
Maori Queen's visit to the Kingdom of Tonga
Your culture makes you unique: Dame Te Ata
August 1, 2003

New Zealand's Maori Queen, Dame Te Arikuini Te Atairangikaahu visited Tonga twice recently to attend a wedding in the Tongan Royal Family, and the King's 85th birthday.

She was amazed at how well Tonga has held together its traditions, but also expressed concern about the need to make the young people of the Pacific aware of their unique heritage in a world that often does not understand their cultures.

As head of the Royal Family of New Zealand Maoridom, the Maori Queen, at 72 years of age, is continuing to foster a very close relationship between Tonga and Turangawaewae Marae, and one that for her, personally, goes back 56 years to 1947 when she first came to the kingdom for the double wedding of King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV and his brother, the late Prince Tu'ipelehake.

sad news

New Zealand's Maori queen dies
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 Posted: 1231 GMT (2031 HKT)
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/08/15/maori.death.ap/index.html

TeArikinui.jpg
Photo from AP/CNN

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu, the queen of New Zealand's indigenous Maori population, died Tuesday, her family announced. She was 75.

Te Ata was the seventh Maori sovereign, a direct descendant of a royal line that began in 1858 when the Maori responded to Britain's colonization of New Zealand by choosing a monarch of their own. The role carries only ceremonial powers but is hugely respected by most Maori.

Te Ata was the longest-serving head of the Kingitanga (King) movement, which largely was a response to continual Maori land losses as European settlers flocked to the British colony and took land from the indigenous people.

Isn't she a beautiful woman....New Zealand will truely miss her

I'm very sorry to hear the sad news. May her dear soul rest in peace.

Just a thought! shouldn't New Zealand royalty be under OTHER REIGNING HOUSES rather than NON REIGNING HOUSES?

Last edited:
Live Simulcast Planned For Burial of Maori Queen
Friday, 18 August 2006, 4:55 pm
Press Release: Television New Zealand 18th August, 2006

Fish'n'chips and chat with a queen
Friday August 18, 2006
By Simon O'Rourke

Maori Queen's family quiet about successor
18/08/2006 6:32:02
NewsTalkZB

quote from that last link:
...Queen Elizabeth has sent a letter of condolence to Tainui. She says Dame Te Ata gave a lifetime of service and dedication. The Queen says she warmly remembers her own visit to Turangawaewae and her meetings with the Maori Queen. She says her leadership, dignity and compassion will long be remembered.
A spokeswoman for Buckingham Palace has dismissed speculation a member of the British royal family may travel to New Zealand for Monday's funeral...

Last edited:
This is the latest article, and some quotes from it. I found very interesting how the process of selecting the next Maori monarch echoes the same problems we have discussed in other threads about succesion rights of older princesess taken away by younger male siblings.

'Daughter should succeed me' - Queen
New Zeland Herald
Sunday August 20, 2006
By Adam Gifford

...The Maori Queen Dame Te Atairangikaahu expressed a preference for a daughter to succeed her, and posed the question of whether it was the right time for another king, according to Tainui sources.

...The choice will be named, and the new Arikinui crowned, before Dame Te Ata is buried beside her ancestors high on Taupiri Mountain on Monday.

...the choice was where it was from the start - between Dame Te Ata's elder son, Tuheitia Paki, and her eldest child, daughter Heeni Katipa.
The debate echoes that of 40 years ago when princess Piki, then a 35-year-old farmer's wife, was chosen over her male relatives to succeed her father, King Koroki...

Thanks for the update Toledo
I certainly hope that Queen Dame Te Atairangikaahu's last wish will be fulfilled and her daughter will succeed her.
And that does echo situation in several European Royal Families, where there is the question of elder daughter and younger male. Hope they will take Sweden as an example (and their late Queen, a woman, yet a great and beloved Monarch).

There is no set rule for succession. They may not even pick one of the late Queens children. They may pick someone else from a royal tribe. Its a somewhat democratic system. Any one can succeed to the throne as long as they are a desendant of the first king. I think we will figure out tomorrow who will be the next monarch.

I was very sad when I saw the news at Television. She seemed to be a great Queen and a nice woman. How, how sad...Oceanic Royalty must be really shocked these last days, after the death of Princes of Oceania. And now this. What a lost.

Vanesa.

Best wishes for the new King and hope he is as memorable as his legendary mother was. This, again, makes me think on another similar situation of a certain male prince waiting all his life to succeed his mother, the Queen.
Best wishes to him and his family as the new representatives of New Zeland's Maori monarchy.

Here's a section that will really be of interest to a number of you,especially the members who are from the Dominion of New Zealand like myself.It is about the various Maori monarchies.There are a number,of which the monarchies of the Waikato Maori Nation (Tainui) & Ngati Tuwharetoa are the most well-known.

The recent death of Te Arikinui Dame Te Ataairangikaahu marked the end of an era as well as a 40 year reign at the helm of both the Waikato Maori Nation & the Maori King Movement (or 'Kingitanga' in the local dialect of the Maori language).She was able to relate to many New Zealanders,both Maoris & non-Maoris.She will be remembered with affection by the people of Wanganui,as she openly condemned the illegal occupation of Moutoa Gardens in Wanganui through addressing the people of the Dominion on the radio back in 1995.Her son & successor Te Ariki Tuheitia Paki,the new King has huge shoes to fill.He will be assisted by Paramount Chief Tumu Te Heu Heu of Ngati Tuwharetoa,who succeeded his famous father,Paramount Chief Sir Hepi Te Heu Heu,K.B.E. in 1997.

Toledo,Tainui's monarchy is not the only Maori monarchy.I do have a section on the Maori monarchies under 'Other Reigning Houses'.The other major Maori monarchy is that of Ngati Tuwharetoa,whose ruler is Paramount Chief Tumu Te Heu Heu.

She seemed to be the one to get a lot of exposure.
Thanks for the information on the other royal families, please share more about them since many of us just have basic knowledge about it.
thanks.

I think we have one thread dedicated to these traditional royal families in New Zeland here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f75/new-zeland-royalty-9785.html

Toledo I think we have one thread dedicated to these traditional royal families in New Zeland here: [URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f75/new-zeland-royalty-9785.html" said:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f75/new-zeland-royalty-9785.html[/URL]

I have already made this point but will make it again, shouldn't New Zealand Royalty be under "Other Reigning Houses" rather than "Non Reigning Houses"? Surely the later is for royal families who no longer have a throne whereas the Maori royals do.

Iain said:
I have already made this point but will make it again, shouldn't New Zealand Royalty be under "Other Reigning Houses" rather than "Non Reigning Houses"? Surely the later is for royal families who no longer have a throne whereas the Maori royals do.
Since I am not remotely an expert (or even amateur) on the New Zealand Royalty, I asked Warred and Mandy to help to answer your question. Here is Warren's response:

Just as the Ashanti Kings in Ghana, the Maharajahs in India, or the Sultans in Indonesia don't rule, neither does the Maori King or Queen rule in or over New Zealand.

They may be recognized by their people, have some authority, and cultural or even political influence, and be recognized by the State, but they are not the Head of State of the nation, and therefore can't be included in our classification as a "Reigning House".

Hope it answers your question why the New Zealand Royalty is in Non-Reigning Houses thread. :flowers:

Last edited:
The Asantehene's position is recognised in the Ghanaian Constitution,as are all the native Kings & chiefs.

The 'Maori King' IS a reigning monarch,but is not a ruling one.

This should definitely be transferred to 'Other Reigning Houses'.

Aidan.

Iain said:

I think is a little more complicated than that. For me the Reigning Houses are the ones with a monarchic form of government established in their Constitution (Example Jordan, Great Britain, Monaco, Japan, Saudi Arabia, etc).
The former traditional royal houses fall more into the description of being mediatized by larger systems, be it monarchies or republics. They still continue their traditions and get support and respect from the government, but they are not the decision makers. The ones with representation at the UN.

Toledo,the Asantehene has a similar position to the Kabaka of Buganda.They are both reigning monarchs.The Ghanaian government often seeks advice in traditional matters from the Asantehene.The Kabaka's position is slightly different,as Buganda is an autonomous state with its own Parliament & government.Here's a link with information about Buganda; www.buganda.com .

Aidan.

Tradidional Monarchies and Sovereign Monarchies

Royalist0007 said:
The Asantehene's position is recognised in the Ghanaian Constitution,as are all the native Kings & chiefs.

The 'Maori King' IS a reigning monarch,but is not a ruling one.
This should definitely be transferred to 'Other Reigning Houses'.
Aidan.

That's nice to know but Warren's explanation was clear enough for me. Although if New Zealand decided to become independent of the last ties to the British monarchy and choose their own sovereign monarchy, they could go for their own traditional monarchy royal family if that was the consensus. Same with Ghana, if they decided to change the office of the president for an actual sovereign for the whole country.
But that's getting into the world of politics and I won't go there. As I understand it, a sovereign monarchy is quite a different system from a traditional monarchy. But is good we are discussing it since the terms King and Queen etc are used in both systems and could create a big confussion on many of our Forum members not familiar with the idea of a traditional ruler of a group using the title 'king, queen, prince(ss)' etc.
This is not about being right or wrong but about expanding and explaining the meaning of titles we associate with sovereign monarchies.

Traditional monarchies are very revered each in their own way. But they are still part of a larger nation that is either a republic or a monarchy. Countries like Great Britain, Netherlands, Tonga, Thailand, etc are nations that are officially sovereign monarchies. Even though traditional monarchies do outnumber countries with a monarchical system they are not the same. It's just a different 'species' of the same system that have evolved individually to fit the needs of their particular environment. Thus, they are a different category, like apples and oranges. I think it would be easier to understand their importance by cataloging their system of government according to other traditinal monarchies the same way we place monarchies like Britain, Japan, Luxembourg, Brunei etc at the same level. For example, the traditional monarchy of the Maori would be more at the same level of the traditional monarchies of the African and Asian continents as the monarchy in Britain could be compared at the same level as the one in Japan or Jordan.

And please don't get me wrong just because I used the word 'level'. It's not one superior to another one, they are just different systems. One gubernamental and the other one more on the scale of tradition and heritage. To each its own. Same thing we do with cataloging different Republican systems.
:)

Last edited:
And back to the topic about New Zealand's royalty...
This site has data from the year 1966 about the Maori King Election and Coronation

This one is about The History of the Maori Wars and the origin and first establishment of the Maori Kings tradition

This last one below, from the BBC, not only reports on the news of the election of a new King, but when you scroll down we see an explanation of the terms used in the article:

Words in the News: Maori new king
23 August, 2006 - Published 10:48 GMT
quotes from the article:
"...The Maori King movement, known as kingitanga, began in 1858, partially in response to the colonisation of New Zealand by the imperial forces of Britain's Queen Victoria. A treaty signed by a number of Maori chiefs at Waitangi in the North Island ceded New Zealand to the British Crown. It stated that if Maori wanted to sell their land then they could only deal with Queen Victoria's authorised agents.
Some North Island Maori sought to reach a common position on the use of their land. To help this goal, the first Maori King was created -- he was Potatau Te Wherowhero of the Tainui tribe in the central North Island region of Waikato...

definitions from the article:
sovereign: a supreme ruler; a king, queen, emperor, empress or the equivalent
tribal ancestry: the origins of a group of communities linked by social, economic, religious or blood ties and usually having a common culture and dialect and a recognized leader

Last edited:
Toledo,the 'Maori King' is not the monarch of all the Maoris.There are separate Maori monarchies in other parts of New Zealand.The most influential of these is that of Ngati Tuwharetoa,whose monarch is Paramount Chief Tumu Te Heu Heu (since 1997).

Aidan.

To All Out There There Is Only One Moari Monarch. He Or She Is The Head Of The Kingitanga Or King Movement. The Others Are Marely Cheifs And Have No Say Over The King Movment. So Please Stop The Arguing. King Tuhitia Is The Only Moari Sovereign.

Mark Onehi

Mark Onehi said:
To All Out There There Is Only One Moari Monarch. He Or She Is The Head Of The Kingitanga Or King Movement. The Others Are Marely Cheifs And Have No Say Over The King Movment. So Please Stop The Arguing. King Tuhitia Is The Only Moari Sovereign.

Mark Onehi

Mark,King Tuheitia Paki is really the King of Tainui.To say that Paramount Chief Tumu Te Heu Heu of Ngati Tuwharetoa is not a Maori monarch is wrong.

As for saying that the Maoris are one nation,that is also wrong.Coming from Wanganui,I have heard the distinctive Wanganui Maori dialect being spoken,but I have never learnt any dialects of the Maori language.

Aidan.

Maori case could be compared to Etrusc one, I think. Etrusc were a single people, speaking the same language and having the same tradition, but they lived in State-Cities and everyone of them had a King named the Lucumon.

We can said almost the same thing for ancient Greeks. They were all Greeks (Helenos), but they have different kind of governements depending on the region or the cities. Athenas had a democracy, but Macedonia, Sparta and other parts had Monarchies. Sparta had a system who was very ineteresting: two Monarchs were sovereign and ruled for equal quantity of time, alterning themselves in the rule of the country. :rolleyes:

However, Greece was many countries and a same "Nation": the shared language, Gods and traditions. They all went to Olympic Games honoring the same Gods and considered themselves as being the same people...Of course, this wouldn't avoid the war between them! :D

Vanesa.

Vanesa,the Maoris are a very tribal people like the Scots,but the Scots learned to put aside their differences along clan lines to become a nation.The Maoris haven't done this,so therefore,each tribe is a nation.

Aidan.

Back
Top Bottom