Royal House of Georgia 1: Ending 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There, you got me blushing. :blush: :D
Actually, you are to be credited as well – I didn’t know the name of Princess Anne’s daughters (you mentioned them earlier in this thread). :flowers:

I hope they remain together. Before the wedding, I was thrilled with the scenario of a new Reigning House in Europe...

Venezuela, Brazil and Caribbean... Three wonderful places to spend a honeymoon!

They won't.They seperated only within a few months after the wedding.The wedding photo's were already a sign on the wall.
Anna was/is,not David's choice.So,better to seperate now then to hang on for posterity while there's no love lost between them.
At least not from the Prince's side,they should never have married in the first place.Life is different from girls dreams.

Last edited:
Thanks for additional information about Princes David and Princess Anna's short-lived marital bliss!
It is unfortunate that the couple seems to be unable to preserve the union. All these grand wedding celebrations were just a waste of money. I have to agree with Lucien noting that Prince David and Princess Anna should not have married at all. I wonder what prompted Princess Anna to go on with the wedding, if she was not sure about this relationship. Based on information about Prince David, I would say that he really meant for this union to succeed.

Perhaps I should have noted this before, but the article appears to say that the pair were on their honeymoon IN October (8 months after the marriage and 2 months after the separation story surfaced).

As regards the comment about the wedding pictures being an indication of problems to come, it seems to me that Prince David has a rather serious demeanor in general. I have seen very few photos where he is smiling. Personally, I think David wanted this union just as much as (if not more than) Princess Anna. After all, it is he who has moved back to Georgia, learned the language, become active in the Church, and succeeded to his father's claims when his elder brother wasn't interested. Plus, Prince David's family was at the wedding en masse. It is doubtable whether the family would have bothered to come all the way from Western Europe to Tbilisi for a marriage that they knew their kinsman was not committed to.

"All the way from Western Europe" takes 3 to 4 hours flying.So,next to nothing since we have aircraft here....:whistling:.

Why they went on with the drama?Family matters.Alliences to be upheld and all that old world stuff in a place on the globe
where it is least to be revived,but still,and it had less to do with love then it has with thinking too big.But it made for some
pretty colour locale.Pitty really,a bond is ment to be different,and in this case family pride and esteem and all that still weigh
in way too high,in this case that is.Now they have a divorce.That is chic....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so glad to know that, having had nooo idea. :p With that fact in mind, it still takes anywhere from 7 to 20 hours to get from Madrid (where David's family is based) to Tbilisi [on a plane]. ;)

We won't really know the status of the couple's relationship for sure until we either hear (1) that they are legally divorced or (2) that they are expecting their first child :baby:. I'd much rather the latter come true. Queen Victoria would surely tell them to "Lie back and think of Georgia."

Anywho, hopefully Prince David and Princess Anna enjoyed their late luna de miel. :twohearts:

I, for one, would be really glad if Prince David and Princess Anna manage to work out their differences. Hope this delayed ‘honeymoon’ will help to improve things.
I’m a bit optimistic, because people from Caucasian region tend to be really serious about it; if David and Anna divorce, then you can be sure there were simply no other options.

Right you are, Marsel. There is some faint hope left. I am sure that the elders are working hard to preserve this union.

Pictures of Prince Irakly Bagration (1909-1977) and his second wife Countess Maria Antonietta Pasquini (1911-1944):
Fan photos from HRH PRINCE DAVIT BAGRATIONI | Facebook

Genealogical tree showing the relationship between the Moukhransky and Gruzinsky:
http://www.nobility-association.com/NUGZAR-GENOGRAMA-001.pdf

Interview with the late Jorge de Bagration (with photos of his family):
Jorge de Bagration: El despertar de la esperanza - Papeles para la Acción Monárquica

About the racing career of Jorge:
Motorsport Memorial -
Jorge de Bagration - Biography

Jorge de Bagration in 1992:
S.A.R. Don Jorge de Bagration en Melilla (1992) - MonarquÃ*a Europea

Lucien was right.

Prince Davit and Princess Anna are certainly separated, and they very well may already be divorced.

Reports that the couple had split first appeared in the press in April 2009 (see Georgia Times). Then, as posted here, stories resurfaced in August 2009 saying that there was no chance of reconciliation.

Within the past month, information regarding the wedding and Princess Anna have been removed from the website of Prince Davit: Order of the Eagle of Georgia

Here are two clips from Georgian media talking about the marriage (and presumably its demise?) The videos are in Georgian if anyone would like to summarize them.
Anna Bagrationi Gruzinsky Davit Bagration Mukhransky » BaBaJaNa (Anna's first husband Grigoriy Malania is mentioned)
« IMEDI TV

Well ... it is truly sad. There was some hope that the couple would find the way to make the union work. .

Yes, definitely sad, considering that they are married since just 13 months...

Surely we should not come to premature conclusions just on the hearsay of some tabloids and rumours, it would be much better to wait and see if either branch of the family makes an official announcement. Until then we must assume that they are still together.

:previous:
There is a strong possibility that neither family will officially confirm the divorce. Removal of information pertaining to Princess Anna and the wedding from Prince David's website might be viewed as a telling sign that the intra-dynastic union was dissolved.

Surely we should not come to premature conclusions just on the hearsay of some tabloids and rumours, it would be much better to wait and see if either branch of the family makes an official announcement. Until then we must assume that they are still together.

Prince Nugzar himself confirmed in April that the couple were having problems. Nugzar was hopeful that the situation between his daughter and Prince David would improve with time, but obviously it did not.

In August, when the story came of a final break, Princess Anna's mother Leila made it clear that the family was not going to discuss the matter. Also, if you watch the first video, you can see with your own eyes that the Bagrations made sure that they did not talk to the media.

So, as Al bina says, it is extremely unlikely that either party is going to state anything publically.

On another website, I read that Princess Anna's first (and apparently happy) marriage to Malania was broken up just so that she could marry Prince Davit. If that is true, then the rapid demise of the Moukhransky/Gruzinsky union should not come as such a surprise.

However, it is a shame that the two royal lines will probably never be joined again...

Thanks for new information!
Sarcastic comment about the marriage are not surprising. However, I am truly shocked to learn that Princess Anna's first marriage was destroyed. I thought she divorced Mr. Malaniya due to issues unrelated to restoring the monarchy.

That's a shame Princess Anna's first marriage was broken in order for this union, now a nonunion, to take place. As pictures of the wedding showed, this couple were doomed from the start. I'm sorry for both people involved.

The Bagration Mukhraneli is the oldest line of the Bagration Family and they are directly
descendents of the last King of united Georgia, Alexander I. And straight descendents of all the Kings of Georgia.They are also related to
King Erekle II, the last King of Kartli-Kakheti.(today not a independent Government). King who reigned in Georgian territory but not in all Georgia.

Last King of all Georgia

Alexander I the Great (sons)

Mukhraneli branch Gruzinsky branch

Demetre (1413-1453) Giorgi (1466-1476)

The Bagrationi Gruzinsky and Bagrationi Imeretinsky are lines who where reigned in parts of Georgia these regions today do not exist as a country and are not independent governments, today the Country is called Georgia and not Imereti Country either not Kartl-Kakheti Country, the last kings of Georgia descendents are the Bagrationi Mukhraneli and the last King who reigned in a part of Georgia was Solomon II of Imereti.
List of Kings of the Bagrationi Mukhranelis line (kartly Territory including Tbilisi the capital of Georgia) after the kingdom split

King Konstantine II 1478-1505. Son of Demtre (1413-1453)
King Davit X 1505-1525.
King Luarsab I 1527-1556.
King Simon I1556-1600.
King Davit XI 1569-1578.
King Giorgi X 1600-1606.
King Bagrat VII 1616-1619.
King Rostom 1633-1658
King Vakhtang V 1658-1676.
King.St.Luarsab II 1606-1615.
King Simon II 1619-1631.
King Giorgi XI 1676-1688.
King Archil II 1661-1699
King Vakhtang VI 1703-1724
King Baqar I 1717-1719.

For the Bagrationis lines of Imereti and Gruzinsky its not possible to pretend to the throne of Georgia as the senior direct line descendents of the last King of Georgia Alexander I are the Bagrationi Mukhraneli line. If Georgia’s Country splits again in 3 different independents governments it may be the case that the lines of Bagration Imeretinsky and Gruzinsky will have an option to claim their ancestors territories.
Today Georgia is ruled by a central government as in Alexander I times.
Any pretension which may occur coming from the un senior genealogical descendents of the Alexander I will be drop in separatism claims.
As far as the Bagration Gruzinsky Family is concerned, the grandsons of the Head of
the House, Nugzar Bagrationi, do not carry the surname Bagration (they are Chichinadze
and Malania surnames);

In the case of Bagrationi Imeretinsky line, the last member passed away in 2009 (Nino
Bagration Imeretinsky) buried in the state cemetery and not in any Georgian Orthodox Cathedral follows the traditions of the Georgian Royals. His descendants carry the surname Japaridze,

. From Davit Batonishvili onwards, the lawful grandson of the last King of Kartli and
Kakheti, Erekle II, the king’s wife and daughters lost their dynastic rights following the
king’s death;

Following the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Governments of Georgia have recognised
the position and rights of H.R.H. Prince Jorge Bagration (the father of Prince Davit) as
the Head of the Royal House of Georgia and as the Crown Prince of Georgia. This formal
recognition puts the Royal House of Bagration in a unique position amongst the former
ruling houses;

Besides, in 1991 the Mukhrani branch was not only recognized as royal by the Georgian
government, but the insignia of the family’s order (the Order of the Eagle and the
Seamless Tunic) was allowed to be officially worn in Georgia.

The recent monarchist declaration of His Holiness and Beatitude Ellia II, the Patriarch of
All Georgia, implicitly pointing the Bagrationi Mukhranelis;
In the official documents, passports and identity cards (of the Republic of Georgia), the
members of the Bagrationi Mukhraneli Royal Family are declared as Batonishvili (son of
the lord) and as Crown Prince’s;

By request of the Spanish King Alfonso XII, due to the Royal wedding of Infanta Maria
de las Mercedes de Baviera y de Borbon with H.R.H. Prince Irakli Bagration Mukhraneli,
Vladimir Kirilovich Romanov, Head of the Romanov Imperial Family, issued a statement
in which he recognized the Royal blood of the Bagration Mukhraneli,

Most of the Royal Houses around the world (whether regnant or not) today recognize the
Bagration Mukhraneli as the Georgian Royal Family.

There are other dynastic reasons that point out to the Bagration Mukharneli’s unique position
over other lines of the same family. These are:

According to Bagration laws, if any member of the Dynasty, who must have Orthodox
faith, gets married to a non-Orthodox person and through a non-Orthodox ceremony,
such Royal looses his/her dynastic rights. The same applies if such Royals are not
baptized in the Orthodox Church. For the last century, both the Bagration Gruzinsky and
the Bagration Imeretinsky were married through civil marriages. Such members of the
Royal Family who choose to be married by a civil marriage will be excluded from the
Bagration Dynastic laws. In the case of males, they are allowed to keep only their
surname;

The Bagration Mukhraneli are blood connected with the Imperial House of Russia and
with the Royal House of Bavaria. They are also second cousins of His Majesty Juan
Carlos, King of Spain;

It will come as no surprise that the membership list of the Order of the Eagle of Georgia and the Seamless Tunic of Our Lord Jesus Christ is founded with names of knights and ladies who support the legitimate aspirations of the Bagrationi Mukhraneli Branch . During the Grand Mastership of H.R.H. Prince Irakly, the knights of the order included – among others – his brother-in-law HIRH Grand Duke Wladimiro Kyrilovich Romanov, King Humberto of Italy, King Boris of Bulgaria, King Leka of Albania Prince Jaime de Borbón, Duke of Anjou and Segovia, HIRH Archduke Carlos de Habsburgo-Lorena y Borbón and his brother HIRH Archduke Francisco José de Habsburgo-Lorena y Borbón, H.R.H. Prince Nicholas of Romania, the Head of the House of Borbón-Sevilla Duke Francisco de Borbón y de Borbón (who served as chancellor during a prolonged period), and so on.
Today’s list of Knights and Ladies Grand Collar
KNIGHTS OF THE GRAND COLLAR
H.H. Patriarch of all Georgia Catholicós Illia II

H.R.H. Prince Irakly Bagrationi Mukhran Batonishvili.
H.R.H. Prince Ugo Bagrationi Mukhran Batonishvili.
H.R.H. Prince Bagrat Bagrationi Mukhraneli y de Baviera
H.R.H. Prince Juan Bagrationi Mukhraneli
H.E. Verne. B. Heiderich, Baron Von Heiderich (+2008)
H.R.H. Alexander Prinz von Sachsen, Herzog zu Sachsen
H.R.H. Prince de Egipto, Osman Rifat Ibrahim
H.I.H. Crown Prince of Etiopía, Zara Jacob Asfa Wossen
H.H. King of Ruanda, Kigeli V
H.R.H. Prince of Montenegro, Nicolás Petrovich-Njegosh
H.I.H. Prince de Anam, Bao Thang
H.R.H. Prince Aleksandar Pavlov Karageorgevich of Serbia
H. M. King Solomon Rukirabasija Agutamba Gafabusa Iguru I, The Forty-ninth Omukama of
Bunyoro-Kitara
H.E. Mr. Nikolaos Andriopoulos
H.M. King George Tupou V
LADIES OF THE GRAND COLLAR
H.E. Mercedes Zornoza y Ponce de León
H.R.H. Princess María Bagrationi Mukhran Batonishvili.
H.I.H. Princess Nilufer
H.R.H. Princess Gisela de Sajonia y de Baviera
H.R.H. Princess Elena Kirby Bagrationi Mukhraneli, Countess Dvinskaya.

In the case of Bagrationi Imeretinsky line, the last member passed away in 2009 (Nino
Bagration Imeretinsky) buried in the state cemetery and not in any Georgian Orthodox Cathedral follows the traditions of the Georgian Royals. His descendants carry the surname Japaridze

Welcome to The Royal Forums, Giorgi! Thank you for your post.

Do you know the exact date of Princess Nino's death?

Thank you Giorgi for your posts, the information was fascinating.:flowers:

hi every one )) benjamin the date of death of nino was in march 2009 but i not sure the day.

Are you sure he died in March 2009? I've just now checked Paul Theroff's genealogy of Bagration Family and no one results died in March 2009 there.

hi every one )) benjamin the date of death of nino was in march 2009 but i not sure the day.

Thank you very much for the info, Giorgi! :)

She was the last of the Imereti, even though her son uses the name Bagrationi-Jafaridze.

Georgia's Interior Minister: Revival of Bagrationi Dynasty in Georgia is Primakov's project
7 April 2010

"After the appointment of Primakov on our direction, the idea of restoring the dynasty of Bagrations occurred. Representative of the dynasty was forced to marry immediately, forcing the bride to divorce her husband. But this project did not justify itself and the idea broke up, like marriage of Bagration ", Vano Merabishvili said.

Full article: http://en.trend.az/news/politics/foreign/1664948.htmlhttp://en.trend.az/news/politics/foreign/1664948.html

Russia's role in the Georgian royal marriage?
8 April 2010

Did Russia play a role in encouraging the marriage between Prince David Bagration and Princess Anna Bagration-Gruzinsky in order to establish and control the Georgian monarchy?

This is the view of Georgian's Interior Minister Vamo Merabisvili, who was interviewed the newspaper, Kommersant. He discussed Russia's attempt to influence Georgia's political stituation, despite the fact that the Georgian population largely supports their government. Merabishvilli said that the idea for restoring the Bagration dynasty in Georgia was the "Russian project."

Full story from Marlene Koenig's blog: Royal Musings - Russia's role in the Georgian royal marriage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom