Royal House of Georgia 1: Ending 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
David Bagrationi: I would like my child to be Georgian in heart and soul
19 Jan 2008

On 8 February 2009 the Royal wedding of H.R.H. Davit Bagrationi Mukhran Batonishvili and H.R.H. Anna Bagrationi-Gruzinsky Batonishvili will be celebrated at Holy Trinity Cathedral of Tbilisi by H.H. Catholicos-Patriarch Illa II. The President of Georgia will attend the ceremony.

The wedding service will begin at 4 P.M. Afterwards a cocktail party and dinner gala will take place in a building near the Cathedral.

Rest of article: The Georgian Times

Will the wedding be attended by European Royals?

They are all invited :) Can't wait to see who will be present or not.

They are all invited :) Can't wait to see who will be present or not.

I can't imagine they will all send a high representation though, if they send anything at all. I don't expect the European governments will allow a crownprince to go there at the moment f.e.. That the president sends invitations is understandable though, considering Georgia's position at the moment they can use any Western gesture of support, esp. the president since his reputation has gone down the drain (his Dutch wife Sandra Roelofs didn't appear in the press here anymore either).

Last edited:
:previous:
You are correct. Given
Mr. Saakashvili's odd performances, European governments will be hesitant to send Crown Princely couples as country representatives. Diplomats will be enough to save the face. As I have mentioned earlier, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna is in a really awkward situation. On one side, she is a relative of some kind. On the other, (1) Russia, where Grand Duchess has been laying claim to the throne, has got strained relationships with Georgia; and (2)she fully supported Russian government during the operation in August 2008. That makes me wonder whether she is going to attend or just send some else to represent the Russian Imperial House. It appears to me that this union may be viewed as a necessity to unite two branches of the Georgian Royal family that stems from a favourable opportunity to restore the monarchy in Georgia. At the same time, I am not against this arranged marriage and hope that it will works out to the benefit of the parties concerned and usual Georgians.

Very very interesting dynasty. What a pity it's not a love marriage :ermm:! I can't believe the Church will bless this because only love is a God favor. But Georgian Catholic Orthodox Church is a very strict, proud and political Church, don't take part in ecumenical Assembly and wants Great Georgia's ressurection (when Georgian Kingdom ruled over Caucasus and had conquests and "colonies").

I would like to know who and where are the heirs of Ossetian/ Alan Kings (many were famous, King Respendial, Mary of Ossetia daughter-in-law of Grand-Prince of Kiev ,Princess Borena married with Georgian Prince, King David Soslan) and Abkhazian Kings Аҧсны? And the heirs of ancient and modern Armenian dynasties?

but who said they don't love themselves? we are not sure of that, isn'it?

I would say that amedea is correct noting that we do not know if the couple in question has got any romantic feelings for each other. At the same time, considering all information about Georgia and its current state of affairs, it might be assumed that the two branches of the Bagrations decided to unite because this marriage raises chances of the restoration. However, the situations is not as simple as it seems.
There appears to be a family dispute among members of the Georgian royal family. Prince David, whose engagement to Princess Anna Bagration was recently, is considered by many to be the legitimate heir to the Georgian throne. Anna's father, Nuzgar, is the senior male line descendant from Georgia's last king. Thus, this marriage unites both lines, thus clearing up confusion over the line of succession. But does it. ...
Royal Musings: Bagration dispute It remains to be seen whether the restoration takes place in Georgia in the end.
I do not think that an arranged marriage is totally a bad thing. Arranged marriages are widely accepted in the Caucasus (Caucasus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and are nothing exceptional in among royalty/nobility. Futhermore, marriages based on the mutual understanding, respect, and realitisc expectations have got a fair chance to last ... in personal opinion.

I hope for love or simple and real affection. But in press the family and fiancé said the reason to be delighted for them and of course for georgian people (they asked?) it's the next royal unity.
No ITW about love, bride's personnal qualities....Never. No David but the Crown Prince, no Anna but the Crown Princess, no future babies but future heirs. Strange. No feelings but ambitions.:blink:
I don't believe it's shyness. It seems to me David is a good and grandiloquent orator.

:previous:
Given your words, it might be noted that my assumptions about the nature of this marriage are accurate.

yes, if he said that it means that we know: it's not love :)
and Al bina knowledge of caucasus culture explain why they even don't try to deny, as would be normal in europe
the hope so, is they will try and learn to love themselves
best wishes

I think it is very very sad thay we are speaking about an arranged marriage in an European country in the 21st Century.

I think it is very very sad thay we are speaking about an arranged marriage in an European country in the 21st Century.

Try to console oneself. It's a semi European 'transcontinental" country near eastern Turkey, Iran ..., with no indo-european language, archaic customs ...
Or refer to ECtHR or Court of Strasbourg.

And maybe the lady is more ambitious than romantic and loving.

And maybe the lady is more ambitious than romantic and loving.

Or maybe the lady is ambitious AND romantic and loving. ;)

I will only try to guess their feelings for each other after the wedding, when pictures and video of the couple will be available. Before that, I prefer to see this wedding as a combination of love and interest, not only interest. I really believe that most of the royal weddings of this XXI century were combinations of love and power... so nothing new here.

Are there any photos of the bride? And for those living in Georgia, are there any kind of attention from the media to this wedding? I mean, like those other Royal Weddings in Spain, Denmark etc, or the whole thing is going unnoticed, except for us royal geeks here in the Royal Forums... Can we expect crowds waving the couple outside the cathedral? I am kind of curious on that matter.

I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to find a single photo of the bride. If fortunate, we shall see photos of the wedding ceremony. I am sure the Georgian government will find some amount of obligatory well-wishers to sugar-coat the whole situation. It is the wedding after all. When compared to other European royal houses, the Georgian royal house tends to attract less attention.

Does the wedding ceremony signal Georgia’s return to a monarchy?
21 Jan 2009

On 8th February, the Remembrance Day for the great Tsar David the Builder from the House of Bagrationi, who unified Georgia in the 12th century, members of two royal dynasties will be getting married - Prince David Bagrationi-Mukhraneli and Anna Mukhraneli. Where exactly the ceremony will take place - in Tbilisi or in the ancient capital Mtskheta - has not yet been decided...

Full article: Georgia Times

Boda de S.A.R. Davit Bagrationi Mukhran con S.A.R. Anna Bagrationi Gruzinsky.
El 8 de Febrero de 2009 se celebrará en la Catedral de Sameba, Tbilisi, Georgia el enlace matrimonial entre SS.AA.RR. Davit Bagrationi Mukhran y Anna Bagrationi Gruzinsky. La ceremonia será oficiada por el Patriarca de la Iglesia Ortodoxa Georgiana S.S. Catholicos Illa II.

Invitación Oficial enlace matrimonial.

Comunicado Oficial:
SS.AA.RR. no desean recibir regalos con motivo de su enlace matrimonial. Sin embargo, todo el que quiera colaborar con el pueblo georgiano, puede hacerlo a través de las embajadas de Georgia, destinándolo a la ayuda Humanitaria y Asistencial que desarrollan las ONG y Fundaciones que colaboran con los refugiados de las provincias de Abjasia y Osetia.

Wedding S.A.R. Davit Bagrationi Mukhran with S.A.R. Anna Bagrationi Gruzinsky.

On February 8, 2009 will be held at the Cathedral of Sameba, Tbilisi, Georgia the link between marital SS.AA.RR. Davit Bagrationi and Mukhran Anna Bagrationi Gruzinsky. The ceremony will be officiated by the Patriarch of the Georgian Orthodox Church SS Illa II Catholicos.

Communiqué:

SS.AA.RR. do not want to receive gifts on his matrimonial connection. However, anyone who wants to work with the Georgian people, it can be done through the embassies of Georgia for humanitarian aid and assistance to develop the foundations and NGOs working with refugees from the provinces of Abkhazia and Ossetia.

Orden del Águila de Georgia

Marriage of two members of tsarist kin Bagrationi is first step to restore monarchy in Georgia

06.02.09 17:59 Georgia, Tbilisi, Feb.6 / Trend News corr N. Kirtzkhalia / The marriage of two members of tsarist kin Bagrationi is the first step towards restoring monarchy in Georgia. “This would be a necessary step towards establishing a constitutional monarchy in the country,” member of assembly of historical surnames, nobles and their associates Georgi Eristavi said at a news conference held in the international news center RIA Novosti on Feb.6.
“It is early to speak about the heirs to the throne. A tsar should be educated since his infancy in case of the establishment of the monarchy,” the patriarch said.
Vice president of the assembly, leader of the monarchy movement Iya Bagration-Mukhranskaya said no discord will appear between the members of the tsarist kin in case the monarchy is established.
A wedding of two members of the tsarist kin, David Bagration-Mukhtarskiy and Anna Bagration-Gruzinskiy will be held in the cathedral of St. Trinity on Feb.8.
Another spiritual leader will run the ceremony as Georgian patriarch Ilia the Second is under a medical treatment in Germany.
The wedding will run in hotel Sheraton Metekhi palace and 3,000 guests have been invited to the ceremony

Trend News : Marriage of two members of tsarist kin Bagrationi is first step to restore monarchy in Georgia

The wedding will run in hotel Sheraton Metekhi palace and 3,000 guests have been invited to the ceremony

Fairytale 'royal' wedding gives hope to Georgians
6 Feb 2009

TBILISI — It's a fairytale wedding in a country in need of a boost: two strands of a dynasty that once ruled Georgia are joining together to end centuries of division in one of Europe's oldest royal houses.

The wedding of Prince David Bagrationi-Mukhraneli and Princess Anna Bagrationi-Gruzinsky on Sunday is expected to bring an end to feuding over who is the rightful heir and to boost a campaign to transform this republic buffeted by wars and unrest in recent years into a constitutional monarchy...

Full article: AFP

Communiqué:

SS.AA.RR. do not want to receive gifts on his matrimonial connection. However, anyone who wants to work with the Georgian people, it can be done through the embassies of Georgia for humanitarian aid and assistance to develop the foundations and NGOs working with refugees from the provinces of Abkhazia and Ossetia.

Orden del Águila de Georgia

I think that's a lovely gesture from the royal couple. I wish them all the BEST for their life together and I hope to see many pictures of this event. Sheraton Metechi Palace seems very pleasant.

This is a shortened version of the rare interview given by HRH David Bagration-Mukhranelli which was published in the Georgian Times several years ago.

Regarding advisability of re-establishing the Constitutional Monarchy in Georgia

D E C L A R A T I O N
BY NEW RIGHTS PARTY OF GEORGIA

Regarding advisability of re-establishing the Constitutional Monarchy

Considering the experience of centuries-old history, taking into account dramatic events that took place in the country since the independence was regained, having analysed wide international practice and guided by the appeal of Ilia II, the Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia - we, the New Rights Party, declare that political structure of Georgia should be the Constitutional Monarchy.

1. What is the Constitutional Monarchy?

"Monarch reigns and not rules"

The constitutional (the same parliamentary) monarchy is the form of the rule when the Monarch is the Head of State, but in reality the state is being ruled by the Parliament elected by people and the government which has the majority within the parliament. The rights of the monarch are strictly regulated by the Constitution and the legislation.

During the constitutional monarchy the King mainly has moral impact on the power although he represents the whole people and the nation symbolically. The monarch is the embodiment of the people´s will and character. He is actually the defender of their rights and the patron of each citizen irrespective of their ethnic origin.

According to the constitution, the King who is above political and economic ideologies and debates, carries out the role of the state leader, neutral arbiter and the defender of the country unity and independence.

He is a guarantor of the smooth functioning of democratic institutions. The fact that up till now, many constitutional monarchs preserve the right of dismissal of the Prime Minister in special circumstances is considered to be a reliable guarantee that the Prime Minister will not turn into an autocrat, dictator and tyrant.
There is no way that the constitutional monarchy implies restoration of the property rights to the former nobility.

2. Historical Justice should be restored

The Georgian people have never rejected the king by their own will. We have neither overthrown the king nor massacred the royal family, nor have we annulled the monarchy through the referendum. He was taken away from us by force through the annexation of the Kingdom of Georgia and now the time has come that the people should make its own decision regarding the monarchy in Georgia.

3. End of Bolshevism

Restoration of the constitutional monarchy will finally put an end to Bolshevism in Georgia and the Soviet way of thinking in the political power.

4. Monarch - Guarantor of Nation´s Consolidation

Standing above the party, as a non-political and neutral leader, the Monarch will be a guarantor of the consolidation and uniting of the nation. Different from the President elected by the majority, the constitutional monarch is the Head of State of both majority and minority and the image of the whole nation, the symbol and, most importantly, a neutral arbiter.
The King belongs to everyone and no one feels as a loser.

5. Constitutional Monarchy - a real opportunity for Territorial Conflict Resolution

Constitutional monarchy is an absolutely new opportunity for conflict resolution in Abkhazia and of co-living together with Abkhazians in one united state. It is the monarchy which gives the possibility for coexistence to several state entities of high autonomy within this monarchy (e.g. United Kingdom: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland; Belgium, Spain, etc.).

6. Constitutional Monarchy - Guarantor for Political and Economic Stability

Monarch is the guarantor of stability and constitutionalism, especially during the political crisis. He is an objective and neutral arbiter who ensures that nobody conducts usurpation or misappropriation of the power (e.g. Juan Carlos I, King of Spain, who stood up to the military coup of February 23, 1981).

There are 41 constitutional monarchies worldwide today.

There are 3 countries which are constitutional monarchies (UK, Canada and Japan) in the unity of the largest industrial countries of the world, in the so-called "G7";

There are 8 countries (out of 26) in NATO: United Kingdom, Canada, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Norway and Denmark.

In the European Union there are 7 (out of 27 members): Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, United Kingdom, and Spain.

7. Constitutional Monarch - Genuine Defender of the National Originality

In the process of globalisation it is the King and his family who can be the guarantor for maintenance of national originality and identity. His duties would include caring for and supporting of cultural heritage, purity and promotion of the language, national science, education and culture.

8. Georgia may become the first Christian Orthodox country to restore monarchy in its own state.

9. What will it cost to the state to upkeep a monarch?

One can be flat in saying that not more, if not less, than it costs to upkeep the current President of Georgia today with his residences, cars, helicopters, airplanes, trips abroad, enormous chancery and numerous guards.

10. Who will become the King of Georgia?

The personal identity of the future monarch should not become the subject of discussion and dispute of political and civil groups. Monarchy is the right given by God (Divine Right) and correspondingly after a two century interval, it is appropriate that the question of the heir to the throne should be determined by the Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia and the Holy Synod of the Apostolic Orthodox Church of Georgia.

11. Who is entitled to solve the question of restoration of the Constitutional Monarchy in Georgia

This issue to be solved by people only. The people of Georgia through the public referendum should define the state structure of future Georgia. The referendum should be held in autumn of 2008 together with the Parliamentary elections. In case the people give their support to the constitutional monarchy, the newly elected parliament would be obliged to work out and officially adopt a new constitution and legislative basis in accordance with the constitutional monarchy. The Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia and the Holy Synod will use this interval for selection and preparation of the future monarch.

God save us!

Akaki Asatiani (leader of the "Traditionalists" opposition party):

"David and Anna represent two dynastical branches which can both aspire to the throne in equal measure. This reunification removes the question of the legacy of the throne. I personally support the restoration of a constitutional monarchy in Georgia. After all, it is well-known that monarchies are the most stable countries. In Georgia many people suffer from a wild-eyed ambition to be president. I would hope that the restoration of the monarchy would remove this issue."

HRH David Bagration himself refrained from making any comment about the future structure of the country. "I have no intention of being involved in politics," he said during a telephone conversation with a Georgia Times correspondent. "We are getting married for love and our marriage is not intended to suit state interests." And, looking at it objectively, this is in any case a distant prospect.

Opposition politicians are demanding extraordinary parliamentary and presidential elections, but at the same time some of them think that it is better to have a presidential republic than a parliamentary one. But out of the ones who have an affinity with the slogan "Georgia without a president", there are a good number who associate Georgia's future with a constitutional monarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of education does David & Anna have?? And what kind of jobs do they now have? I know next to nothing about these two. thankyou!

HRH David Bagration himself refrained from making any comment about the future structure of the country. "I have no intention of being involved in politics," he said during a telephone conversation with a Georgia Times correspondent. "We are getting married for love and our marriage is not intended to suit state interests." And, looking at it objectively, this is in any case a distant prospect.
It appears that the marriage of two feuding strands of the Bagrations for love nicely coincides with a unique opportunity to restore the monarchy. :rolleyes: Let us see what happens next... I am looking forward to seeing photos of the ceremony.

El Mundo ("Una boda para reinar en Georgia") tells that King Juan Carlos sent his congratulations to the couple as well as his regrets that he could not be present at their wedding. Furthermore, the nuptials will be broadcast live via Georgian television.

Anyways, this statement towards the end of the article aroused my curiosity: "Nieta del famoso poeta y guionista Piotr Gruzinski e hija del director de cine Nuksar Bagrationi-Gruzinski, la novia se casará en segundas nupcias con Davit."

Does this mean that Anna had previously been married?

*There was also a Russian article about this union (from Izvestia) which, when translated with Google :)rolleyes:), mentioned something about a divorce.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom