Royal Family Of Nepal - Shah dynasty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And there we are. Orf they go. Perhaps I should pop over to Nepal and see if I can get in somewhere. There's always something rather funky going on when a monarchy topples.

Yeah, now is a good time to go, BeatrixFan. :D

If I understand our press reports correctly, it looks like we are in the final days if not hours of Nepal's monarchy. Is there no one or no party in Nepal that supports the monarchy, even if they do not support the current king?

from the reports ive read,it says "MAY BE" ,so I keep my fingers crossed regardless.

That's what happens when you continue a line of autocratic intentions, though as this is no place for politics...

They weren't for the people, they were for themselves, as is my studied and formulated opinion.

It seems today Wednesday, the 28th of May 2008 is the last day the Shah Dynasty is going to be ruling Nepal. Gyandera is going to go from a soverign to a pretender in a matter of hours.

Apparantly King Gyanendra and Queen Komal have been removed from the Palace and were seen being driven away on Tuesday but nobody's sure where they are.

Apparantly King Gyanendra and Queen Komal have been removed from the Palace and were seen being driven away on Tuesday but nobody's sure where they are.

They have not been removed since Gyanendra was seen driving himself and his wife. The probably went to the private residence in Khatmandu. Hopefully the rest of the family is all packed and ready to go. They need to leave Nepal immediately.

Surely there should be a referendum on the monarchy as it should be the people who choose and not the politicians.

Nepal abolishes monarchy:

Nepal votes to abolish monarchy

The Himalayan nation of Nepal has become the world's newest republic, ending 240 years of monarchy. A constituent assembly meeting in the capital, Kathmandu, overwhelmingly voted to abolish royal rule. The Maoists, who emerged as the largest party in last month's elections, were committed to ousting King Gyanendra and creating a republic.

Read the entire article here.

Errrr... Is this a case like Greece, where the royal family will now be exiled, or will they be allowed to stay and keep their titles. Will they even be allowed to keep their homes, and have any part in society?

The palace is no longer available to the former King, which will now be turned into a museum for the people. I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand, this situation may be the best for the country. On the other hand, Communism (Maoists) isn't the greatest system in the world either.

They have not been removed since Gyanendra was seen driving himself and his wife. The probably went to the private residence in Khatmandu. Hopefully the rest of the family is all packed and ready to go. They need to leave Nepal immediately.

I agree that the family should leave for now. I just have a "feeling" that the situation could become dangerous for them.

I do agree that they need to go ahead and leave; I read he is worth a great deal of money personally so they should be fine.

Wow, I never thought a monarchy would be abolished during my lifetime.
But it's for the good of Nepal that their monarchy is done away with.

According to the latest reports the Maoists have warned that it could (and most likely will) forcefully throw King Gyanendra out of his palace only if he refuses to leave voluntarily. Furthermore, all three parties in the new government have agreed that all of the king's privileges would be cut off, including his allowances as well as his official security. Second, the former King will be able to continue his business ventures. Whether the ex-king decides to stay in Nepal remains to be seen though it would be in his best interest to leave his country forever for his own safety.

You can read more of [URL="http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/nepals-king-to-lose-his-palace/2008/05/27/1211654032008.html"]here[/URL]. A [URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4225171.stm"]profile[/URL] about the ex-king and another very interesting [URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4953816.stm"]article[/URL].

Last edited:
I'm very very sad about the situation in Nepal. Its the last hindu monarchy to go. I wish crown prince deependra hadn't killed his family(we're not quite sure about that either) but whatever has happened wouldn't have happened with king birendra alive. I just feel bad for the family's trouble (though GOD knows they've contributed) the crown princess is so young and her children barely of age.
There was some talk about her and the crown prince and the family returning to India to live with his wife's family but I don't think thats a good option. They'll never be away from nepal and I have a suspicion Prachanda won't leave the royal family alone. Nepal has changed beyond recognition since the massacre.Its very sad indeed

The Moaists wanted the monarchy ended for more than a decade. I am sure that it would have never happened if King Biendra and Queen Aishwayra were still there; they were beloved. The deposed king was nothing more than a despot (who had a big hand in the Palace massacare if some sources are to be believed). He and his son Paras needed to go- no if, whens and buts about it.

BTW, should'nt this thread be moved into the non-reigning houses subcategory?

I know the communists won big time in the recent elections, but I can't help but feel that the people are going to regret their decision in the years to come when the communists start to dig in politically. I just have this feeling.

I believe you are right, AdmiralSteven. On the other hand, the former king wasn't exactly the most honorable nor were the people of Nepal his first priority. Furhermore, his son, the Crown Prince, wasn't exactly loved by the people either.

Will Nepal be better off? Will this tiny country, which is one of the poorest on Earth, finally have a chance? Who knows what the future holds, but I do have hope for the people.

I believe you are right, AdmiralSteven. On the other hand, the former king wasn't exactly the most honorable nor were the people of Nepal his first priority. Furhermore, his son, the Crown Prince, wasn't exactly loved by the people either.

Will Nepal be better off? Will this tiny country, which is one of the poorest on Earth, finally have a chance? Who knows what the future holds, but I do have hope for the people.

I believe that we will ultimately see that the communists will not have the people of Napal as their first priority as well, and by then it will be to late as they will have gained the political power they need to stay in power.

Last edited:
Hi guys! First post!

As a new member I dont want to ruffle feathers but I'd like to point out that almost no nation has ever been "better off" after abolishing their monarchy.

Take for example, Iran. The shah was certainly a despot but he was nothing compared to the islamic republic to come. And France as well, after King Louis was killed the "reign of terror" began. Also remember the russian revolution that murdered the czar and his family and the millions that died thanks to Lenin and Stalin. Actually one can name almost every nation that abolished their monarchs and the tragedies that followed from Germany to England despots that would follow far overshadowed the sometimes inept ruling of their rightful monarch.

I guess we will see how kind and gentle Maoists that carry on decade long terrorist campaigns can be... Good luck Nepal. If any country deserves and needs it, it would be you.

Best wishes,

Vat

Wow, I never thought a monarchy would be abolished during my lifetime.
But it's for the good of Nepal that their monarchy is done away with.

How can it be for the good of Nepal? The Maoists claim the monarchy is undemocratic yet abolish it without any referendum allowing the people to have their say. There is not, and never has been, a democratic communist society.

Well anything's better than Gyanendra.

As China turns economically capitalist, Nepal now has a government dominated by those with a discredited Maoist ideology. Hardly a step into the modern era.

Maoism didn't do the Chinese much harm though. Economically I mean. Maybe Nepal needs a dose of maoism and everyone being equal to bring them furthur on than they were. Which was what? 1800 or so?

Well,, BeatrixFan, you have completely ignored -or not known in the first place-all of the facts of history. Maoism was and is an unmitigated disaster for China. It shattered the economy and kept an immensely tallented people in a concrete body cast for decades. Its heirs, the current inept leadership, propoganda aside, has also proven monumentally inept in really dealing with a time bonb that may well explode with catastrophic results for the whole world. Ever heard of the "Great Leap Forward" and fifty million Chinese citizens starving to death. And how about the cultural revolution with its total disruption of everything, including of course, the economy. Then there is the minor fact of 50-100 MILLION deaths attributable to this madness, not to mention all the horror, torture, "re-education", prison, and the suffering and exile and all the rest of it for those still living. Talk to some of the Chinese who got out of China and then make the totally irresponsible statement lacking in understanding and compassion you have just made. Go read "Bones of the Master" if you want to get a feel of what it was to live in those times and what the Communists did to anybody who tried to live a life of religious devotion.

Nobody needs a dose of Maoism. That is nothing but blood, torture, prison, death and madness. And Nepal is a fragile and desperately poor country where a large portion of the population have been duped by those same fantasies and lies that have fooled so many. Maoism is a monstrous system that cannot be called an improvement on anything. The king was a man, a brutal man who was totally out of place but the situation in Nepal today, if history is any indication, is the beginning of a nightmare and human tragedy of appalling proportions. Go read a good history of the French Revolution and Louis XVI, another king, but a decent man, who was in way over his head in a situation he never understood nor could control.

Nepal panel seeks royal properties and assets
30 May 2008
A government panel began collecting details of assets and properties of Nepal's deposed King Gyanendra on Friday, two days after the Himalayan nation's monarchy was abolished, a top minister said...
Rest of article: Reuters India

-----

Royal confusion over Gyanendra's new residence
30 May 2008
...Palace sources indicated the Gyanendra has not vacated. In fact, his mother, wife of the late King Mahendra, is still in the palace and reportedly firm that she will not leave...
Rest of article: CNN-IBN

This is getting interesting. Mr. Gyanendra and Mrs. Komal Shadev are no longer entitled to live in the Royal Palace. Does anyone know if Paras Shahdev lives in a state owned property or is it private? I don't understand why they are not leaving Nepal; it is more than evident that they are no longer welcome there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom