Royal Family Of Nepal - Shah dynasty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Profimedia
King Gyanendra (R) of Nepal administers an oath of office to Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirla at a ceremony in Naryanhiti Royal Palace in Kathmandu, 30 April 2006. Koirala is head of the Nepali Congress party, one of seven opposition groups, which along with Maoist rebels called out hundreds of thousands of people onto the streets for 19 days in April to protest against Gyanednra's outright rule.

Attachments

• NWS-975503.jpg
    NWS-975503.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,176
  • NWS-975536.jpg
    NWS-975536.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 604
fanletizia said:

Yay. It's been done as of yesterday. He's been made a figurehead, and Nepal is now a secular country, rather than a Hindu monarchy. Even the military will no longer be called Royal Nepalese Military. Parliament is supreme. Now if the same could happen in Jordan and like places...

Frankly, Gyanendra did it to himself. It didn't have to come to this. He's lucky that the monarchy wasn't abolished (although it really should have been), and that he still has his neck, lol.

Another news;
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1537738.cms
KATHMANDU: The crown clung gingerly on beleaguered monarch Gyanendra's head on Thursday as Nepal's Parliament asserted itself as the supreme voice by adopting a resolution ending privileges of the two-century-old monarchy and stripping him of the title of commander of the 90,000-strong Royal Nepalese Army.

The House of Representatives that convened after four years — after Gyanendra was forced by street protests to give up some of his absolute powers on April 24 — unanimously passed a resolution transferring the king’s inherent rights to choose an heir to the throne to Parliament, making his assets and income taxable. The royal extravagance costs Nepalese taxpayers an estimated $5 million each year.

Significantly, Thursday's proclamation erased the world's only Hindu kingdom from the map. Nepal would now be a secular state, it declared. It also effectively ended the king being worshipped as an avatar of Vishnu.

"This proclamation written with martyrs’ blood has made the people fully sovereign now," Prime Minister GP Koirala said. "People have been declared sovereign and the source of entire state power."

The proclamation said the king’s actions were subject to parliamentary and judicial scrutiny.

The move finally settles the biggest demand of the pro-democracy protesters — that the monarchy be made powerless and titular. Even as Parliament debated the move this week, angry protesters shouted slogans across Kathmandu demanding that Koirala must not be allowed to waste the long struggle. It should also help end the violent campaign by the Maoists, whose primary demand was an end to the oppressive monarchy.

Koirala’s administration moved towards punishing the monarchy earlier this week when it threw several top pro-royalist officials and ministers into jail, holding them responsible for police and military excesses against pro-democracy protesters.

King Gyanendra of Nepal (L) accompanied by Queen Komal (C) makes a greeting while paying homage to goddess red Machhindranath at Jawalkhel near Kathmandu, 02 June 2006. King Gyanendra appeared publicly for the first time after the re-instated Parliament stripped him of his political power on 18 May

from getty

Attachments

• 71108048.jpg
    71108048.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,240
  • 71108641.jpg
    71108641.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 517
  • 71108655.jpg
    71108655.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 842
The King should hold on to the Crown until things calm down but he also has to come to terms with the reason he is in this problem...and do something about it. Then, when things are at rest, he should let a new royal generation take over and bring a new era of peace between the monarchy, the politicians and the people. Thailand's King is a great example of how to see the Crown as a symbol of unity above all political differences.

Crown Prince Parash watches as King Gyanendra's subjects offer good wishes at Narayanhiti Royal Palace in Kathmandu July 7, 2006. The Nepali king celebrated his 60th birthday on Friday.

Reuters

Attachments

• r3139445634.jpg
    r3139445634.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,131
An undated file photograph showing Nepal’s little princes Purnika, aged six, daughter of Crown prince Paras during a function at Royal Palace in Kathmandu. On Monday. 31 July 2006. Nepal's government amended a law to allow girls to ascend the throne, breaking with centuries of tradition that only a male could be the royal heir. The cabinet decided that the royal couple's first child -- be it a son or daughter -- will succeed to become a king or queen. Regarding this decision, the little princess Purnika will be the first Nepali female heir of Monarchy.

An undated file photograph showing Nepal’s King Gyanendra, (L), Crown Prince Paras, (C), and Queen Komal, (R), stand with Little Prince Hridyendra, aged five, and princess Purnika, aged six during a function at Royal Palace in Kathmandu.

photos from ANP/EPA/NARENDRA SHRESTHA file photo

Last edited:
Wonderful news! Now, why couldn't Japan learn from this excellent move.:cool:

Nepal to seize royal lands, king to be "normal citizen"

I just saw this story on Yahoo News:

KATHMANDU (AFP) - Nepal plans to seize lands owned by King Gyanendra and other royal family members and distribute them to the poor as it moves toward treating the monarch like a "normal citizen," a minister said.
http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=OnUKY86....3055.9003549.9776021.1442997/D=LREC/B=3761537
Legislation limiting the amount of property the king can hold will be drafted once an inventory of royal properties is completed, Land Reforms Minister Prabhu Narayan Chaudhary said on Saturday in Kathmandu, the capital of the impoverished Himalayan nation.

Click the link to read the rest of the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060805/wl_sthasia_afp/nepalpoliticsroyal_060805123122

Last edited:
Here the news about new rule of succession.
http://www.newkerala.com/news3.php?action=fullnews&id=31256

Nepal government okays queen's rule
By Sudeshna Sarkar, Kathmandu;

After a revolutionary transformation into a secular state from the world's only Hindu kingdom, Nepal is now poised for another radical change that allows for a queen on the throne - provided the monarchy survives.

Nepal's cabinet Monday took the historic decision that in future, the king's firstborn would be his heir, irrespective of gender.

If implemented, the decision will see the sceptre passing into the hands of Crown Prince Paras after King Gyanendra and then to Princess Purnika, the former's first-born.

The Nepalese celebrate the Dasain festival to worship Durga

from anp

I was just wondering, did the parliament approve this succession reform? They probably did, but i haven't read an article saying that parliament actually approved it.

The King better hold on to his crown tight and pull some brilliant public rlations move cause from reading the latest articles he still could see his position abolished. Which I think is unfortunate but considering his history rather deserved.

I believe that although King Gyanendra did make mistakes,he isn't the problem.In my view,it is Prachanda,who is the Nepalese equivilant of Robert Mugabe,& the Maoists who ARE the problem! If King Gyanendra did not take control,then Nepal would have become like the Communist Cambodia of the Himalayas,as the Maoists are as barbaric as the Khmer Rouge.

Aidan.

Nepal's sidelined king Gyanendra attends the Basant Panchami festival at Hanumandhoka Palace in Kathmandu, Tuesday. 23 January 2006. King Gyanendra has made his first public appearance today after Nepal's eight political parties including communist Maoist party, issued an interim constitution last week, which cleared that the monarch has been stripped of his status as head of state and his control of the army.

http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpicturepreview.pp?id=4601844

Nepal's embattled King Gyanendra will likely soon be removed from Nepali currency notes and replaced with a picture of the Buddha in a new blow to his royal status, the finance ministry said.(AFP)

Nepal Queen Komal receives flowers by a girl during her 57th birthday celebration at Narayanhiti Royal Palace in Kathmandu, Nepal, Monday 19 February 2007. Queen Komal and Crown Prince Paras made their first rare public appearance after Interim constitution cut the King’s and monarchy’s power. Hundreds Pro royalists and limited people have gathered inside the palace to celebrate the birthday.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Last edited:
I heard Nepal changed the succession law of the monarchy to Equal Primogeniture!

I'm so proud of them!!! This means they're the first non-European monarchy to do this!

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
I heard Nepal changed the succession law of the monarchy to Equal Primogeniture!

I'm so proud of them!!! This means they're the first non-European monarchy to do this!

The Nepalese Government hasn't done that.It has given itself the right to appoint the Crown Prince of Nepal,which would be a moot point if Prachanda & his Maoist barbarians get their way.

There's still a lot of resentment towards the Maoists,& rightfully so! If King Birendra had not been murdered by his son,Prachanda would more than likely be dead.

Aidan.

Royalist0007 said:
The Nepalese Government hasn't done that.It has given itself the right to appoint the Crown Prince of Nepal,which would be a moot point if Prachanda & his Maoist barbarians get their way.
There's some confusion about this. I believe that they have done both of these things, i.e. they have changed the succession to equal primogeniture, AND given themselves the right to appoint the heir to the throne. That allows them to skip Paras or any unsuitable person, but the succession is still guided by the concept of equal primogeniture.

Nepal's Crown Prince Paras leaves hospital. The heir to Nepal's threatened throne was discharged from hospital nearly a week after suffering a heart attack, doctors said

Nepal on Yahoo! News Photos

And there we are. Orf they go. Perhaps I should pop over to Nepal and see if I can get in somewhere. There's always something rather funky going on when a monarchy topples.

Yikes. Well, I guess Nepal will be the latest country to scrap the monarchy. Shame, but I'm glad they didn't decide to force the king and CP Paras to abdicate in favor of little Prince Hridayendra like they were trying to do during the summer. The last thing that country needs is a child king.

Back
Top Bottom