Royal Family of Hawai'i

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'll definitely have to order them via Amazon or some place else. Rarely will one find a majority of these books outside of Hawai'i. The do sell them here in Los Angeles as well as in San Fran, but in other parts of the country... I highly doubt it.

As for Princess Kaʻiulani, she died, I believe, due to stress (due to the situation regarding Hawai'i), fever, and from the many sufferings she endured in her life (hence loss of loved ones.) Some may disagree with me, but this is something that I grew up hearing and believing... and nothing will change my mind about it. Yes, I am stubborn.:D

Again, I highly recommend the list of books mentioned in my previous post. They are all well worth the money.

:)

I have been to California before an it is very different from where I live. It's much hotter and tropical over there. Here we have these crazy blizzards and snowy winters. I think she died because she suffered many deaths of her loved ones like mama, teacher and sister.
I seen some for over 30 dollars in USA currency. I know that's very expensive. But, it is worth it because I really admire Kaiulani she was a very brave person who stood up to her country, Hawaii.

You might be interested in the book, Princess Kaiulani of Hawaii: The Monarchy's Last Hope by Kristin Zambucka. I haven't read it in ages, but it's a good starter book.

Here's an interesting quote from the princess in 1897. Very eerie:

I must have been born under an unlucky star, as I seem to have my life planned out for me in such a way that I cannot alter it...

When she heard of of half-sister's death one could deduce that her health was spiraling out of control:

I am sorry to say that I am not feeling at all well. My nerves are all out of order and I suffer continually from headaches.

In a letter to the Queen telling her of the death of Princess Kaiulani, Joseph Carter wrote:

...It is with the most profound sorrow that I convey to your notice of the death of your niece the Princess Kaiulani. She passed away, after much suffering at two o'clock of the sixth instant. In previous letters I told you of her serious illness, but until th4e first of the current month, I entertained hopes for her recovery.

The doctors who treated Princess Kaiulani noted that the cause of death, officially, was a cardiac rheumatism and ex-ophthalmic goiter.

So sad.

Things are Heating up in Honolulu!

Well GT, I saw several bumper stickers when I was over in March that proclaimed: FREE HAWAI'I, it looks like there is much support for that!

Hawaii Reporter: Hawaii Reporter

Yeah, I know. I read about it late last night on my email alerts from the Honolulu Advertiser and the Star Bulletin. I won't talk about the details because it's too political. Those who have read this thread thoroughly already know my deep feelings regarding this issue... and no I am not on the side of the US Gov't.

I don't know what the point is, other than to bring media attention to the cause. If she joined forces with the other protest groups, then they would be formidable and they could cause some serious change. Or affect something for the Native Hawai'ians.

There are several better claims to the throne than this woman's. I suppose the point of this was really more to make a political statement than assert a claim to the Hawai'ian throne. Frankly, I'm glad to see this happening. Native people in the United States have been ignored far too often, and I'm finally glad to see some action taken to get some attention for Native sovereignty movements. It has been quite a few years...like since the Alcatraz takeover in the '70s.
And what better timing could one ask for, with all this "Free Tibet" controversy and attention?

What bugs me the most about this isn't the dubious line to the throne. Rather, it's that the "Hawai'ian Kingdom Gov't" doesn't seem to understand that 'Iolani Palace was never a seat of government. If they wanted that, they'd have to go across the street and take over Ali'iolani Hale, the former parliament building. 'Iolani Palace was only an official residence (in use since the mid 19th century; it was enlarged to its current form by King Kalakaua).

Aloha everyone, Im back! Well I was just trying to catch up on all that I have missed and its nice to see that this thread is still going and some have found interest in Hawaiian history. I found Ms. Asings takeover of the palace interesting and am still trying to figure out the motive. As I have said before, there are numerous people that say they have a claim to the throne but who is actually legitimate is the main issue. Abigail Kawananakoa claims it and I do not recognize her on the basis that she was adopted into the family, not blood. Ms. Asing claims it through her bloodline but where is the proof? I am again left wondering, maybe I should say I have claim to the throne too, see if anyone would question me. To be honest, I think all of these groups are going in circles. There will never be an overthrow of the American Government unless death is involved and are these groups willing to take it to that level for what they believe, honestly?

I hope these weren't already posted.It's a pity that she doesn't have as many photos taken as the Romanov family.

Thanks for the images AnastasiaEvidence. It would be helpful for members if you could edit your post to include a title or caption so that the identity of the subject is clearly stated.

Some years back I had a copy of the National Geographic with an article about Hawaii, I remember it had a photograph of a very blonde woman and they said she was Princess (Elizabeth?) of Hawaii. I no longer have the magazine as we donated years and years of magazines to the local library. Does anyone know who this was, or whether I am imagining things?

I hope these weren't already posted.It's a pity that she doesn't have as many photos taken as the Romanov family.

Those photos above are of a young Princess Ka'iulani, and thank you AE for posting those rare images. :)And Lady Gabrielle, it's good to have you back!

[URL="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/kategt2/Hawaiian%20Royalty/kaiulani3.jpg"]Here[/URL] is another image of the young Princess. [URL="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/kategt2/Hawaiian%20Royalty/kaiulani_father.jpg"]Here[/URL] she is with her father, and another image of [URL="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/kategt2/Hawaiian%20Royalty/kaiulani4.jpg"]here[/URL].

The Head of the Royal Family of Hawaii is HRH Prince Quentin Kuhio Kawananakoa, born in Monterey, California, 28th sept. 1961, third son of HRH Prince Edward and his 2nd wife Princess Carolyn, née Willison.
He is Attorney-at-Law and chairman of many associations, married in Sept. 1995 Elisabeth Broun born in Barbados, has 2 sons:
1 HRH Prince Kinkaid, b. Honolulu June 1996
2 HRH Prince Riley, b. Honolulu Dec 1999

I'm not quite sure what the second photo is? I think it's taken around where Kaiu'lani lives? I think.

The Head of the Royal Family of Hawaii is HRH Prince Quentin Kuhio Kawananakoa, born in Monterey, California, 28th sept. 1961, third son of HRH Prince Edward and his 2nd wife Princess Carolyn, née Willison.
He is Attorney-at-Law and chairman of many associations, married in Sept. 1995 Elisabeth Broun born in Barbados, has 2 sons:
1 HRH Prince Kinkaid, b. Honolulu June 1996
2 HRH Prince Riley, b. Honolulu Dec 1999
Are they currently residing in Hawai'i?

Are they doing anything for the restoration of the monarchy?
And if they did, is that considered treason under US law? Which I don't understand why that would be treason as it was a hostile take over at best. . . .

Yes, they live there and he is member of the Parliament of the State of Hawaii for the Republican Party.

That is completely incorrect, Count.

He served in the State House from 1994-1998 where he was the Minority Leader. Currently he is serving as a Commissiner on the Honolulu Fire Commission and he announced that he will run for a seat in the House for Waimanalo and Lanikai. You can read more about it [URL="http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080607/NEWS05/806070357"]here[/URL].

Are they doing anything for the restoration of the monarchy?

No.

Last edited:
An exhibit has opened, at Queen Emma's Summer Palace, in remembrance of Prince Albert Edward Kauikeaouli Leiopapa Kamehameha, Queen Emma's son and godson of Queen Victoria.

Read more about it here.
Do we know how long it's on display? I'm not going to get back to Hawai'i until 2010. (The Russian cruise is supposed to be next year. . . .:ermm:)

June 30 I believe though I am not quite sure. If the exhibit is popular most small history museums will extend the date.

Well my response regarding the Kawananakoas is simple. They really could care less about sovereignty or about the kanaka maoli. They have it too good and are more interested in what is best for their family. They have so much land that has been in their family since the missionary days but do they even bother to give some of that land to the many homeless Hawaiians who are supposed to be under their protection and care? No. Does Quentin, who has been a part of the government system, ever tried to help his people, since he is supposedly the "prince"? No. Quite frankly that whole family is a farce. They are out for themselves and thats all I have to say about that.

Lady G, it's good to "see" you. I'll be in your neck of the woods in Sept, btw.

Back on topic: Regarding Quentin, it seems that he is running yet again; why I have no idea. He's going to lose again or perhaps even drop out. Besides people still remember his little problem with Uncle Escobar several years ago.:rolleyes:

That's so sad that the son of King Kamehameha died at four years old. I never been to Hawaii before? Can someone tell me how it is there? Is it possible you can get access to the Iolani palace?

`Iolani Palace - Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

`Iolani Palace Tour Options

Tours Available Tuesday through Saturday

Guided Tour:
Docent-guided
9:00 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. (every 15 minutes; plus an 11:30 a.m. Japanese language tour)
  • First Floor
    State Apartments
  • Second Floor
    Private Quarters
  • Basement
    Exhibit Galleries (self-guided)
Audio Tour:
45 minute self-guided, pre-recorded audio tour
11:45 a.m. through 3:30 p.m. (every 10 minutes)
  • First Floor
    State Apartments
  • Second Floor
    Private Quarters
  • Basement
Gallery Tour:
Self-guided
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
  • Basement
    • Ancient Regalia
    • Royal Crowns
    • Jewelry
    • Diplomatic Orders
    • Chamberlain’s Office
    • Palace Kitchen
    • History Gallery
Adult
$20
Hawai`i Resident / Military $15
Children / Youth (5-12)
$5
*No children under 5 years old
Adult
$12
Children / Youth (5-12)
$5
*No children under 5 years old
Adult
$6
Children / Youth (5-12)
$3
*Accompanied children under 5 years old welcome at no charge
Reservations & Ticket Office

Reservations not needed for Gallery Tour
Gallery Tour Hours Tuesday - Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Ticket Office HoursMonday - Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (HST) for reservation lines. Ticket Window opens at 8:30 a.m.

The Palace is
open for tours Tuesday through Saturday.

The Palace is closed on Sunday and Monday. Ticket Office Location`Iolani Barracks on the Palace groundsReservations/Ticket Office(808) 522-0832 or 522-0823Pre-recorded Tour Information(808) 538-1471

As the thread was heading way off topic I've copied the Iolani Palace post and moved subsequent posts discussing holidays in Hawaii to a new thread in Members' Corner called Visiting Hawaii.
A welcoming lei will be presented to every member who visits the thread. :D

Warren
Non-Reigning Houses moderator

As the thread was heading way off topic I've copied the Iolani Palace post and moved subsequent posts discussing holidays in Hawaii to a new thread in Members' Corner called Visiting Hawaii.
A welcoming lei will be presented to every member who visits the thread. :D

Warren
Non-Reigning Houses moderator
Okay, Mister, I went over there and I didn't get no stinkin' lei!

:D

It was a limited-time offer. You were too late. :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom