Royal Family of Hawai'i

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aloha LG! Waved at you last night on our way up to Princeville. :flowers:(We stopped in at the Safeway to get groceries.)
Okay, so those royal lines are still alive somewhere? I thought when Kamehameha unified the islands everybody else didn't qualify as royalty anymore, or they married into the Kamehameha royal line?
We might take a Captian Andy's up the Na pali and over to Niihue. I have always wanted to visit because all the full-blooded Hawaiians are on that island, but, of course, we haven't. Are there any full-blooded royal Hawaiians on Niihue?
Mahalo!

I have always wanted to visit because all the full-blooded Hawaiians are on that island, but, of course, we haven't. Are there any full-blooded royal Hawaiians on Niihue?

You can wish, but it won't happen unless you take a hunting trip (which is basically restricted to a certain area of the island) or a helicopter trip over to, again a restricted part of the island. Even then you still won't see them. Essentially, you are out of luck.

Second, yes, the people of Niihau are full-blooded Hawaiians. Outsiders are not allowed on the island's main village unless you have permission from the Robinson family. Which they never ever do unless it's a dire emergency.

Most of the Niihauans who left the island live on the westside of Kaua'i and some on the eastside. Rarely, you'll see, one or two, living in Wainiha off Powerhouse Rd, or working the small taro patches near Ke'e. But mainly the north shore is filled with smelly, druggie, trustfund hippies from the Mainland, and former mental patients living in the Kalalau Valley... in other words, don't hike into the Valley alone.:D But you're in a tourist restricted zone, Princeville, so you're safe from the freaky deaky hippies... well not really. You're still surrounded by millionaire yoga fantatics driving up and down Ka Haku road in their Range Rovers whilst drinking carrot juice from Java Kai.

Last edited:
But mainly the north shore is filled with smelly, druggie, trustfund hippies from the Mainland, and former mental patients living in the Kalalau Valley... in other words, don't hike into the Valley alone.:D But you're in a tourist restricted zone, Princeville, so you're safe from the freaky deaky hippies... well not really. You're still surrounded by millionaire yoga fantatics driving up and down Ka Haku road in their Range Rovers whilst drinking carrot juice from Java Kai.
OMG! Mr. Russo and I went hiking that goat trail 3 years ago when we were first here and we saw this guy sitting on the rocks just hatcheting the sand with the thing he had dreadlocks and looked stoned out of his mind! Asked us for a cigarette. (Neither of us smokes so we couldn't comply) Wow! Now I understand about that! Good thing 3 of us are going hiking tomorrow!!! :eek:
But getting back to Niihue, are there any royals on that island by chance?
What happened to Humehume's wife?

Well as G.T. said, you cannot go to Niihau and see the people. It has been a promise that was made a long time ago when the island was sold to the Sinclair family. There was to be no westernization of the Island and no outside influence from westerners. As for decendents of HumeHume , Im sure there are plenty of family members since he married Elizabeth Davis. I believe her family comes from the same Davis that was the military adviser of King Kamehameha I. As for what ever happened to HumeHume no one really knows.
There is alot of speculation but no definite answers. He was the son of King Kaumualii and Niihau, who was a commoner so he was not considered royal in the sense that he would ever rule. As for royalty on Niihau, I believe that there are people there who do come from royal lineage whether through King Kaeokulani or one of the other chiefs from that Island. What you must understand is that no matter what, there are many people that are decendents of many chiefly lines on every Island. You could be in Safeway and walk by someone who is of royal blood and not even know it unless you were to talk to them and ask them of their lineage which most the time they wont tell you. Most "Hawaiians" or Kanaka Maoli do not speak of their family history unless it is absolutely necessary. It is still very secretive and something that is not given out lightly. By the way, I live 8 minutes away from Safeway. I hope you are enjoying your stay. If you have any questions, let me know.:flowers:

Oh you and GT are a wealth of information!! :flowers:
Now, is that because of the take over by the Dole company? That they went into hiding?
We stayed up too late with Stan, who had to leave for a Jaycee event this morning so we're late in getting started on doing things. I think we're going to the lighthouse and hanalei bay today.
I also want to go back to the museum and check that out again.
We are very much enjoying our stay! Waimea canyon and Captain Andy's tomorrow and Monday Smith's luau. We'll hike the Na Pali on Tuesday.
Last time we were here, the guys on Captain Andy's pointed out Niihue and said they had a terrible problem with the rabbits, that they went rabid of sorts and they had to exterminate a lot of them. Are they still doing that?
Mahalo!

Is what because of the Dole take over? As for rabid rabbits infesting the Island, Im not familiar with that story. Maybe G.T. can help with that. You passed right by my house if you went to Hanalei today. Im just before you leave town. :flowers:

Is what because of the Dole take over?
Sorry, that's my ADD going again! I was wondering if the ones that have the royal blood in them went "under cover" with their bloodlines because of the Dole take over (that's what I call the take over of the Hawaiian Islands, annexation and statehood) and now they don't want to discuss it because of that.
We watched the sun set at the State Park where the Na Pali trail starts. Had a lovely glass of wine there as well, Pineapple/Passion white wine. Fun stuff! Very much enjoying my time here!

Last edited:
No, I cant say that Dole had anything to do with it. I think its because after the annexation there was no need to say anything about who you were. Among the Hawaiian community its a different story. The only family that has come forward in claiming who they are is the Kawananakoa family stating they are the rightful heirs to the throne. Alot of people back them up but others know that they are not the only ones or for that matter that they are the rightful heirs since there are discrepancies in their geneology. Anyone can say anything but the proof must be there. That would be like my great great grandma saying that the king of Spain on his deathbed said that she was to be the next in line to rule but only friends in the room heard him say that. No heads of state or royal court members heard it. If you go up towards Opaeka'a Falls you can see the birthplace of King Kaumualii and further up before you reach the falls there is a huge Heiau or sacred rock wall area that you can look at. They are both on the left hand side.:flowers:

We went there last time we were here (before the heavy rains almost 3 years ago November) when the roads had washed out and caused a lot of problems in that area. But I never knew about King Kaumualii's birth place or the sacred rock. :flowers:
Just finished Captain Andy's boat ride. Lovely lovely! Almost didn't get on, the concierge from our time share booked us wrong but! The Gods were favorable, got on good times for my birthday!! :):flowers:

Well Happy Birthday to you! Im looking out my backyard and the water looks calm and beautiful and Im going snorkeling for a while. I dont know if you have ever seen the statue of Queen Kamakahelei who was the wife of King Kaeokulani. There is the school named after her behind Costco I think and the statue is the artists rendition of what she looked like since there are really no pictures of her that anyone knows of. She was a Kauai girl and King Kaeo was a Maui boy.:flowers:

Im looking out my backyard and the water looks calm and beautiful and Im going snorkeling for a while.

... while I'm looking out at smog... aah paradise.:D:lol:

Seriously, Russophile why are you on the 'net when you are supposed to be on vacation?

Back on topic:
I just found some interesting data/primary source regarding Scandinavians (Norwegians, Danes, and Swedes), and their migration to Hawai'i right after the Reciprocity Treaty of 1876, and the King's (as well the territorial gov't) push (though not exactly the right word) for contract laborers. Though the nationality is all wrong (German is my focus) I'm beginning to wonder if I should focus on the Scandinavins instead.:ermm::D Yes, I am changing my mind... yet again.

Well Happy Birthday to you! Im looking out my backyard and the water looks calm and beautiful and Im going snorkeling for a while. I dont know if you have ever seen the statue of Queen Kamakahelei who was the wife of King Kaeokulani. There is the school named after her behind Costco I think and the statue is the artists rendition of what she looked like since there are really no pictures of her that anyone knows of. She was a Kauai girl and King Kaeo was a Maui boy.:flowers:
Oh cool! I'll look for it.
Thanks for the Birthday wishes! I was really happy things worked out. The conceierge is a ding dong here at this resort and we have 3 in our party and she held three places for us but called in to book only 2! So when we got there we almost didn't get on! Luckily, a party of 5 never showed, but the bad thing is, they were booked by the same resort!
GT, Scandahoovians ROCK! :D
Internet is free here and we're in between activities. Besides, my kid hasn't checked in (he's stationed in Afghanistan) and I need to see how he's doing. Doesn't call his mother, but he'll long into MySpace!! :ohmy:
Now, the menehune, do you think when they left, they went to New Guinea? Weren't they pigmies? There's not a lot written about them.

I've been meaning to post this link for some time now, but as usual I keep forgetting. ;)

For those who want to know the basics of Hawaiian history, from the Monarchy to Annexation, The Honolulu Advertiser has a page dedicated to this subject.
Click [url=http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/150/sesq1index]here[/URL] to read about some important people during this critical time.

Great articles G.T. but I was reading the one about Robert Wilcox and Im a little disturbed by what was said. In there the article states that in 1894 Robert and his militia were backed by Liliuokalani and that they had smuggled in weapons from San Francisco which to me makes it sound like the Queen was aware of the weapons. It makes her look guilty. She had no idea about the weapons although she was aware of what Roberts intentions were. She had nothing to do with smuggling in the weapons. If anything she tried to talk him out of it but he wouldnt listen. In her book she states that very clearly. I have to say thumbs down on that portion of the article.:ermm:

I noticed that, but that's typical of many writers in the past few decades.:rolleyes:

On a positive note, I finally got my hands on two interesting sources regarding the Hawaiian Kingdom and Prussia, both by the same author Annalise Moore: Harry Maitey: from Polynesia to Prussia. The first Hawaiian to migrate to Germany (Prussia at the time) where he lived out the rest of his days. Apparently did quite well for himself including learning German (which he became fluent.) Also, the essay, Prussian Presents: Military and Millinery. Both published in the Hawaiian Journal of History back in the 80's, and I'm interested in what the writer has to say.

Wow, thats interesting G.T. I might have to do a little reading myself. Thanks for the info. As for the article, I e-mailed the author and his reply was that the article was written a couple years ago but all his info was from historical books including "Shoal of Time". Hopefully I put a little question mark in his mind and maybe he will do a little more research on the matter.:flowers:

The sources are from The Hawaiian Journal of History; in fact, I believe they sell it at Border's at Kukui because the last time I was there I got an old copy of the HJoH no. 30 dated 1996 (the reason why I bought it was due to an article entitled A Danish Sailor's View of Hawai'i in 1846 by Jorgen Jensen a Dane who found his subject by accident. His other works have been published in the National Geographic Society, the Danish Maritime Museum, and the Historical Society of Northern Schleswig. Another intresting connection between Germany and Hawai'i is Eduard Arning who, in the mid-1880s, took various photos of Kanakas. The originals are now housed in the Museum für Völkerkundein Hamburg, Germany.

You can also subscribe to the HJoH which I believe is worth the money.

Thats awesome G.T. Have you ever come across any books that talk about Englands relationship with Hawaii? Im thinking there must be something other than what our history books tell us. I figured since there was such a strong connection between the two especially since there were visits made back and forth, Queens Jubilee, etc. And not to mention the fact that Queen Victoria was little Prince Alberts godmother, there has to be something in English history about it. It would be great to read.:flowers:

The more I'm reading for my whatchamacallit, the more I am beginning to realize that there was a stronger connection to Germany than Britain. Of course, I'm talking about King Kalakaua at this point. He's seems to have shared a close relationship with Prince Henry of Prussia when he came to the islands in 1879. Furthermore, we know that there were heavy German influences within the Court. Although the root of it, Hawaii, will always feel more British thanks to Kamehameha; even to this day. I believe more people have an underlying connection to England than America... I mean as you know what many say "We are not American!" But that's a whole other story.

Sure Emma and Victoria had a strong bond, as with other monarchs, and we know that Kamehameha the Great had strong admiration for and influenced by the British monarchy (specifically King George) and all things British on a whole, but the German connection seems be as equal to the British connection.

We know that Paul Isenberg was appointed noble by the House in 1872 as well as other German officials who had strong personal ties to the court such as Henry Bertalmann, Hermann Widemann, Henry Berger, and Fred Wundenberg to name a few.

Also, there were five Royal Hawaiian consulates in Germany: Bremen, Hamburg, Frankfurt am Main, Dresden, and Karlsruhe. There were also consulates in Denmark, Sweden, and (shocking) Norway (since most Norwegians whined and complained when they emigrated to the Kingdom during the first wave a European contract laborers. They didn't work out because they didn't like living in the kingdom, which I believe was due to cultural differences, living conditions hence climate, and so forth.)

When King Kalakaua toured Europe and visited the various European royal houses he made a strong connection with Germany. Interestingly, when he was in England, watching a parade of Victoria's troops at Windsor Park, the King had an experience with a man who rode up to him and said:

Your Majesty, I am the Crown Prince of Germany. I shall call upon you tomorrow; but permit me now to thank you for your hospitality to my son, Prince Henry, when he visited your kingdom. My father, the Emperor, is at Gastin, but you will be received, if you visit Berlin, by my son, Prince William.

Apparently Henry of Prussia, brother of William II, visited Kalakaua two years prior. So, the Crown Prince kept his word, and with all the pomp and glamour King Kalakaua was recieved and stayed for a few days at Potsdam; there were banquets, receptions, military parade and much more. Royalty at it's best from all the sources that I have been reading.:)

*William N. Armstrong, Around the World with a King (Cambridge, Mass.: The University Press, 1904), 80.

Last edited:
Thats really interesting G.T. I had no idea really about the strong ties with Prussia and Germany. I always figured that England was the strongest tie. Now that you mention it wasnt there a German composer that was a dear friend of Queen Liliuokalani? I know there are many German Hawaiians as well so I suppose there must have been something between the two countries. I think France was not one of the favorites though. Oh yeah! I think the composers name was Henry Berger or Burger wasnt it?:flowers:

Their love for France was/is the same as it was/is for the US... enough said:D;)

Yes, the bandmaster/composer for the Royal Hawaiian Band was a German, Heinrich Wilhelm Berger. Also, a majority of the men in the Honolulu Rifles were primarily, you guessed it, German.

In one of the books I read for my research notes that the engravement on the boom said "No Ka Hoomanao Ana Ia Berlin" along with the embroidered coat of arms for King Kalakaua. It also states:

The Schellenbaum (Bell Tree) presented by Emperor Wilhelm I of Germany to His Majesty King Kalakaua in commoration of his visit to Berlin in 1881... the Schellenbaum was used by the Royal Hawaiian Military Band...

Unfortunately, it was destroyed during the overthrow... not surprising I might add. However, images still exist and are located at the Hawai'i State Archives.

Finally, I believe many of Her Majesty's Queen Lili`uokalani's Household Guards were fashioned and drilled after the German Army thanks, again, to King Kalakaua. he also, "...planned to send three young Hawaiians to Germny o be schooled..."

As I said in my last post, there is still heavy British undertones in Hawai'i, but there is also a Germanic tone. I believe at this point it is somewhat equal. Nevertheless, as you know, once WWI came around anti-German sentiment was rampant in the islands. As a result, most Germans left the islands except for a few well known families and those who married the locals.

How much was destroyed during the over throw?
When I was there, I saw several bumper stickers that read: Free Hawaii!

That's a wonderful book. I am also fasinated by her Royal diary books they made for her. It's a pity it's fictional but it does try to make her story look more interesting. She had a very tragic life it's sad how she caught a cold in a storm and died weeks later. The weather in Hawaii was too hot for her since she been in England for eight years. Have anyone heard about this movie being made about Kaiulani?

Yes, I have. It's being filmed as we speak, and will continue for some time. It stars the same girl who was in someTerence Malik movie that also starred Colin Farrell. I cannot remember the name.

Barry Pepper is also in the movie, which is loosely titled The Barbarian Princess. Apparently, the producers will change the title since it's pretty misleading, but unfortunately that is what people called her in those days (not the Kanaka mind you.) Also, the budget for this film is somewhat small, which worries me, but I have faith that the film will stick to the facts.:)

Oh, I remember her name haven't you seen the movie 'New world' when Qorianka Kilcher played as Pocahontas. Her name is Q'orianka Kilcher she is 18 years old. Do you think she suits Kaiulani? She is Native American and Latina origin. She doesn't have any Hawaiian ansestry. I still think she will be fine.

Look at this beautiful photo I found on wikipedia.
Ka%27iulani_01.jpg

Last edited:
I did see the movie, especially since I am a huge Terence Malik fan, but I forgot the name of the film when I made that post last night. Although I love Malik, I was slightly disappointed in the film, but the overall tone of the New World was amazing.

As for Q'orianka, I think she'll do well; though I wished they cast a real Kanaka or Hapa Haole for the role, but... In the meantime, some Hawaiians are fuming that she was cast among other things:

Hawai'i entertainer Palani Vaughan, who has complained about the film's script since he read it in February, said he is not convinced that English director Marc Forby will accurately portray the life and times of Ka'iulani.

[SIZE=-1]"A non-Hawaiian is trying to interpret in an un-Hawaiian way what he is supposing has happened," Vaughan said. "Forby is coming and coloring it in a way that he would like to see it."[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803200360"]Source[/URL]

So, we'll see what happens with the film, and I hope they tell the truth instead of glossing things up for profit.

:)

Last edited:
I know so little about Hawaiian history. What book would some of you recommend that is a good started book on the overall history?
Thanks in advance.
Lexi

Start with these books in order:
  1. Ruling Chiefs of Hawai'i by Samuel Manaiakalani Kamakau
  2. Hawaiian Antiquities by David Malo
  3. Fragments of Hawaiian History by John Papa 'I'i
  4. Hawaii's Story by Queen Lili`uokalani
  5. The Betrayal of Lili`uokalani: Last Queen of Hawaii 1838-1917 by Helena Allen
  6. From a Native Daughter: Colonialism and Sovereignty in Hawaii by Haunani Kay-Trask
  7. Aloha Betrayed by Noenoe K Silva
  8. Native Land and Foreign Desires: Pehea LA E Pono Ai? How Shall We Live in Harmony? by Lilikala Kame'eleihiwa
  9. Emma: Hawai'i's Remarkable Queen by George S. Kanahele
  10. Then There Were None by Martha Noyes
All of these books are brutally honest and not your cutesy fluff tales. Genocide, greed, and a complete lack of disrespect not only to the Kanaka Maoli, but to the 'aina as well as overall future of Hawai'i. So be prepared. Things may shock you.

Also, here are short clips about the history of the Hawaiian language. I would post something about pidgin, but it's NSFTF... plus I believe the only other two people who would understand it besides me, is Lady Gabrielle and Kepola. In the meantime, enjoy these clips.

YouTube - A History of the Hawaiian Language

YouTube - Hawaiian Language Part 2

YouTube - "The primary language at 'Imiloa is Hawaiian..."
Beautiful language.

Last edited:
Thanks for the wonderful links Tiaras! I wish I can find then in a local bookstore. They are very rare over here! I will just have to order them online. I would love to read those books about the Hawaiian royals. What reasons do you believe Kaiulani died for? I think she died because she was so depressed and broken that her country was being taken over.

Back
Top Bottom