Royal Family of Hawai'i

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just came back from Hawai'i and I finally visited Iolani Palace! Now I know that every culture is different and Hawai'i is tiny but the palace isn't so much a palace but a nice big house (the pictures on the first page of this thread make it seem a lot bigger). It pales in comparison to it's European counterparts. I had to wear these booties to help preserve the palace floors but it was really interesting to finally go inside. The crystal panes in the front doors were supposed to be Hawaiian ladies but the people who created them were from California and did not know what Hawaiians looked like so they used their imagination: Greek goddesses (it was actually sad and funny at the same time looking at these window panes that were supposed to be exotic beauties). :ohmy:

Also on display is Queen Liliuokalani's quilt which she made during her days as a prisoner. It's a beautiful quilt which the Queen gave to a family friend. A couple years back the descendants of this family donated the quilt so that it would have some purpose besides being locked up inside a safe.

This is my favorite story the tour guide told my family. Queen Liliuokalani was invited to Queen Victoria's (Silver or Golden Jubilee, can't remember) and the stylist back in the day told the Queen and the Princess that they couldn't compete with Western royalty in Western designs. So this stylist suggested a peacock dress. I guess during those days people kept peacocks as pets so servants went around telling people that peacocks were bad luck to get the peacocks for the dress. The peacocks were plucked and a dress was made that weighed 35 pounds! I guess she really did stand out in London :ohmy: :ermm: .

I guess this is the official website for Iolani Palace: http://www.iolanipalace.org/index.html
The Hawaiian monarchy is actually a really sad story. It didn't last very long and had a depressing ending.

Last edited:
soCal girl said:
I just came back from Hawai'i and I finally visited Iolani Palace! ...
That's a really nice story, SoCal girl. I would love to see Queen Liliuokalani in the peacock dres!!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
filipastarck said:
What was the name of HM Queen Liliuokalani husband?

Someone probably already answered this, but he was John Owen Dominis, Prince Consort of Hawai'i. After she was deposed, Queen Liliuokalani was simply known as "Mrs. Dominis".

The Hawaiian monarchy is actually a really sad story. It didn't last very long and had a depressing ending.

It is sad that the United States felt that it had right to a country so far away from the mainland. However, the state and people of Hawai'i do recognise the kingdom as an important part of the history and culture, which continues to this day. The coat of arms for the state (state seal) is only slightly altered, and the flag chosen by Kamehameha is still used.

Prince of Chota said:
It is sad that the United States felt that it had right to a country so far away from the mainland.

Yes, just like Britain with Gibraltar, Australia, India, The Bahamas, Barbados, Grenada, etc etc etc.....

Sorry, but the wording of that statement is a bit too political IMO.

Prince of Chota said:
It is sad that the United States felt that it had right to a country so far away from the mainland.

It is indeed sad, but the coup that deposed Queen Liliuokalani was not initiated by the United States Government so much as the Sugar Tycoons who derived their riches from the islands of Hawaii. They were tired of answering to a foreign head of state, and their aggression against the monarchy began during the reign of
King Kalakaua (Liliuokalani's brother, whom she succeeded).

Eventually they were able to sway over to their side an envoy from the US, who enlisted the aide of US Naval regiments stationed on the islands, in storming Iolani Palace, deposing the monarchy, and declaring a provisional government. With no military to speak of, the Hawaiians were powerless to stop them, and Queen Liliuokalani eventually ended up a prisoner in her own palace.

President Cleveland had no advance knowledge of what happened, nor did he support it. He sent representatives to assess the situation, who returned with scathing reports, condemning the unwarranted actions taken by those who misused America's name and power against a nation which had to that point been an ally of the US. He issued an order that the provisional government step down and that the Hawaiian monarchist government be allowed to return. When faced with the choice of sending Americans to fight other Americans (the renegade forces whom by now had barracaded themselves inside Iolani Palace, refusing to surrender), Cleveland unfortunately lost his nerve and backed down. Though Cleveland refused to do so during his presidency, the United States eventually annexed Hawaii and the kingdom became a territory.

On November 23, 1993, fourteen years ago, United States finally apologized for the illegal overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawai`i, and recognized the inherent sovereignty, and right of self-determination of the Kanaka Maoli people.

On Feburary 22, 1998, Majesty Akahi Nui, supposed grandnephew of Queen Liliuokalani, was coronated as the King of the Hawaiian Nation at the I'olani Palace. He apparently holds the Kingdom of Hawaii Diplomatic passport, supposedly recognized internationally, and allegedly signed treatises with other nations.

I've heard about this guy and the only people who recognize them are those who are involved with Free Hawai'i not Nation of Hawai'i or OHA (latter I support.)

Of course we all know that those from the Kawananakoa line are the rightful heirs to the Hawaiian throne.

Here is a photo of Akahi.

lady anne

In response to all with questions on Hawaiian Royalty, there is more than a good chance that there will be some type of governing system in Hawaii for the Kanaka Maoli. The island of Kahoolawe is being prepared for the Hawaiian people and the governing entities. This island that used to be used for target practice will be the new home for those kanaka maoli who wish to follow the constitution of Hawaii written by Kamehameha III. There will not be a King and Queen though, only a governing head. I do not foresee Akahi Nui or the Kawananakoas in that position as there are way too many people that do not recognize them as rulers. Neither can prove absolute lineage that would be acceptable. The current Kawananakoas were adopted by that family and Akahi is as they say here " waha ", all mouth. Besides there are more than a few families here that could be considered legitimate rulers, not just 1. The royal line is quite extensive.:neutral:

Aloha Kakahiaka and e komo mai, Lady Anne. I completely agree with you, unfortunately, full restoration will likely never happen. Nonetheless, it is good to know that the movement and pride is growing stronger everyday (as my Tutu would say, `Onipa`a.:D)

It's been almost 17 years since the last bombings on Kaho`olawe. From what I know, is not going to be used for future governing entities. Currently, it is still be cleaned up by Kaho`olawe Island Reserve Commission which will continue malama ka 'aina.

What are your thoughts regarding the Akaka Bill?

lady anne

Well Aloha Kakahiaka to you as well. As far as I know, Sol Kahoohalahala has stated that parts of the island will be ready and inhabitable by the time the recognition bill or Akaka Bill is passed. As for the Bill, I never have agreed with it . It puts the Kanaka Maoli in the same category as Native Americans which they are not. And if you think about it Kahoolawe is the perfect " reservation " dont you think?:ermm:

How much do you know about the island of Kaho'olawe?

Well Aloha Kakahiaka to you as well. As far as I know, Sol Kahoohalahala has stated that parts of the island will be ready and inhabitable by the time the recognition bill or Akaka Bill is passed. As for the Bill, I never have agreed with it . It puts the Kanaka Maoli in the same category as Native Americans which they are not. And if you think about it Kahoolawe is the perfect " reservation " dont you think?:ermm:

I have and always will be against the Akaka. Is or could Kaho`olawe be the perfect "reservation"? You want my honest opinion? All of the islands, every single inch of 'aina, should be given back:D and/or would be a perfect "reservation". Or more HH should be available than what is presently going on.

Lady Anne, there are a couple of books that I have read that you might like:

Aloha Betrayed by Noenoe K Silva.
This book was apart of the author's UH dissertation. It's a fascinating look at the native Hawaiian resistance movement which a majority of people outside of Hawai'i have no clue about. The reason why other writers never wrote about it, they didn't speak the language nor did they care to research the other perspective of the annexation.

Hawaiian Antiquities by David Malo
Read this as an undergrad. Malo is the guy as you know.

Ruling Chiefs of Hawai'i by Samuel Manaiakalani Kamakau
This was a mandatory book I read whilst in high school. It's 430 pages and worth reading.

lady anne

Aloha Kepola! If you are asking me, I have some knowledge but not alot. Most of my information is given by the elders or by the people involved in the clean up effort as well as Halau members who go there for spiritual reasons. All I know is that Kanaloa will one day be inhabited with its people again. Do you have more info to share?:)

lady anne

Yes, I agree with you as well G.T. but we know that will never happen. I also agree that there should be more HH available for the people. I know that there has been extensive building on Maui and here in Anahola but more is needed. As for the books, I have 2 out of 3. Thanks for the info.

Aloha lady anne

Kaho'olawe is an island in which has a history of destructive intent, tragic loss, and now hope. I believe the following links will be help you gain a much more greater perspective as to why we Hawaiians have such great respect for such an island.

Kaho`olawe Island

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Features

Aloha no.

Aloha, e ko mo mai Glittering Tiaras

lady anne

Mahalo Kepola for the info. I will read and learn. I do know that Kanaloa is a sacred island from ancient time. Is there anything else you could share while we are here in the forum?:)

Hawai’i is more than just Mai Tais, Chi Chis, hotel rooms, tacky tourist luaus, sunburned Haole skin, and Waikiki. It is a place, which is still struggling to preserve its culture, lands, and way of life. So while many are unfamiliar with its unique history, besides three kama`aina -- :D -- , I thought I would give a brief synopsis of the history of Hawai’i and its monarchy. Please share your thoughts, opinions, or whatever is on your mind about this special place called Hawai'i.

By the late 1770’s, prior to the Hawaiian unification (except for Ni’ihau and Kaua’i) by the King Kamehameha I, the islands were ruled by varying Mo’i: Ni’ihau and Kaua’i, O’ahu and Moloka’i, Lana’i, Maui, and Kaho`olawe, and Hawai’i which was divided into subsections of 3 to 6 warring Mo’i. After the Battle of Nu'uanu (located on O’ahu) the islands finally fell under one ruler, except for Ni’ihau and Kaua’i. Kamehameha could never conquer these islands via warfare. So he decided to try another tactic with Kaumuali’i: diplomacy. It worked.

So instead of relying on the infamous unreliable Wikipedia, I thought I would compile a list of reigning monarchs of Hawai’i with my own commentary, and other stuff that I learned from my Tutu, various Auntie’s, and whilst at KS middle school.

Kamehameha I
Born 1758
Strong, incredibly intelligent, warrior, and able to adapt to change.
Nephew of Kalani’opu’u
Ruled from 1795-1819.

Ka’ahumanu
Favorite wife of Kamehameha
1st woman Chief Councilor
Banned traditional Hawaiian culture, religion, and ways in favor of Christianity.

Liholiho, Kamehameha II
Puppet King while Ka’ahumanu was alive even though Kamehameha I named him as heir.
Ruled 1819-1824

Kauikeaouli, Kamehameha III
Ruled 1825-1854

Alexander Liholiho, Kamehameha IV
Ruled 1854-1863
Wife was Queen Emma. She had a unique relationship with Queen Victoria. Both wrote letters of support to each other. Queen Victoria remarked about Queen Emma "Nothing could be nicer or more dignified than her manner…" (see the book Emma: Hawai`i’s Remarkable Queen)

Kapuāiwa, Kamehameha V
Ruled 1863-1872
Last of the Kamehameha bloodline.

Lunalilo I
Rules 1873-1874

Kalākaua
Ruled 1874-1891
Known as the Merrie Monarch
Revived Hawaiian culture, traditions, and pride.

Lili`uokalani
Ruled 1891-1893
Intelligent, writer, poet, and a songwriter.
Last Monarch of the Hawaiian Kingdom after the nation was illegally overthrown by the descendants of missionaries as well as with the help of the United States.

So perhaps others would like to add something or share their thoughts about the Hawaiian monarchy?

To understand, the CliffNotes/Youtube version, the illegal overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy watch this clip here.

When the Youtube clip hits 7:53 - 8:10 (or beginning at -2:59) pay close attention. You might understand the pain as well as anger the Kanaka Maoli still feel to this day. Furthermore, why so many push for sovereignty.

[URL="http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k69/KateGT/photo_20060826_150years.jpg"]Queen Lili`uokalani, photo date unknown[/URL]

[URL="http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k69/KateGT/photo_20060918_150years.jpg"]The Queen now a prisioner[/URL]

[URL="http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k69/KateGT/June18.jpg"]Queen Kapi`olani and Princess Lili`uokalani preparing to board a ship, New York Harbor, bound for England, 1887[/URL]

Coronation of King Kalakaua

Dear Hawaiian friends, thank you for all of the great info! I will be going back to Hawaii next month. It is my fifth time, but my 5 year old's first visit. We will be mostly in Maui this time with a 2 day stop in Oahu. Are there any Royal venues of interest in Maui? Usually we are more scuba/foodies there (sister used to be the sous chef at Roy's in Kahana). I had no idea that there were still royal relics in the islands. I appreciate everything you all have posted!
Mahalo and Aloha!:flowers:

There are several places on O'ahu, Scooter.

Your first stop should be the Bishop Museum. Then visit `Iolani Palace, Queen Emma's summer palace, and Hulihe`e Palace. If you have time head on over to the North Shore and visit Waimea Valley. There are many parks you should check out, but it seems your time on O'ahu is limited. One last place I just thought about is the Mission Houses Museum.

On Maui check out the Bailey House. The house is in Wailuku, and finally visit the Hana Cultural Museum and Center.

Aloha Scooter! GT has given you a good start to your adventure. On Maui I would also suggest you visit Waiola Church where a few our royal family are buried. I would also visit the old courhouse down by the wharf as they have numerous documents and some photos. There is also a guided walking tour that they provide which takes you through all the different historic sites in Lahaina town. I think you would enjoy that. You might also go to Lahainaluna highschool which was the first school and is the oldest school west of the rockies. The school was built on land that was given by Queen Keopuolani and her second husband, Governor Hoapili. She was Kamehamehas sacred wife. He would have to get on his hands and knees just to be in her presence. She and Hoapili are buried at Waiola church along with King Kaumualii who was King of Kauai. Any other questions, let me know.:flowers:

GT, The clip was wonderful! Hopefully it will help others that are not familiar with the story of the overthrow. Watching it made my heart break as usual but it is a good way to get the message out there. The Queen was such a wonderful woman, she was regal in every way. What you said is true, this is why so many kanaka maoli are determined in one way or another to see that sovereignty is regained. :flowers:

Aloha lady anne

Mahalo Kepola for the info. I will read and learn. I do know that Kanaloa is a sacred island from ancient time. Is there anything else you could share while we are here in the forum?:)

Sorry for the late response.

I appreciate your asking me to share and it would be of great pleasure.

I'll start from the beginning:

Kaho'olawe is one of the older islands of the Hawaiian islands. The island itself is actually the summit of a volcano dome. http://z.about.com/d/gohawaii/1/0/N/b/KahoolaweSpace.gif
http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/north_america/hawaii/Kahoolawe1.jpg

The following site will give you a much better description than I ever could.
Kahoolawe Information Portal

If you need any further information, I would be pleased to help.

Aloha no.:flowers:

Attachments

• Kahoolawe1.jpg
    Kahoolawe1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,853
  • KahoolaweSpace.gif
    KahoolaweSpace.gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
lady anne

Mahalo Kepola. I appreciate your response. :flowers:

So does anyone have anything they would like to say about the Kingdom of Hawaii? It seems we started and then stopped quite quickly. Does anyone have any questions or comments about the Monarchy other than what has already been brought up? :flowers:

I had recently been researching some history about the Queen, specifically in the context of the quilt she made while under house arrest. (I am interested in textile art, and a few weeks back read an article describing it and her ordeal in some detail.) The history of the islands has fascinated me for some time, though I haven't delved deeply into it before now. I think the extent of my knowledge was James Michener's novel Hawaii LOL! I read it as a teenager.

Anyway, in my research in recent days, I found this blog post. As a warning, the tone is belligerent and the blogger alleges all sorts of nasties on the part of the Queen, and asserts history that seem to me to run counter than what the well-informed posters in this thread have presented. Please note that the blogger clearly has a political agenda, and let's just say peace activism is not on it. The viewpoint and tone of the blog in general may offend. But I'm sharing the link because I'm interested in having his allegations refuted by yourself and Glittering Tiaras, who clearly have a solid grasp of Hawaiian history and tradition.

The Dougout: Was Hawaii Queen Liliuokalani Really Like Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi?

I've been in two minds about bringing this up here, but since Lady Gabrielle sort of bumped up the thread... ;)

If this discussion is not considered appropriate or too political for the forum, I certainly understand.

Hello

who is the current heir and pretender. Are they involved in Hawaii. I watches a program on tv about the palace. They discussed how they searched around the world for artifacts. There was one story about some furniture washing up on shore and a guy kept it in his house for years having no idea what it was.

I am empress to look all these pictures, Hope that i be able sharing some opinion later, ofcourse the pictures are transparance, This is the first time that i heard about the Hawaiine Royal family, i suppose to keep all the images photograph of all the Empression Royalism. Straight away i am sticking pictures of Royal in my arts expression studio, and are developing now.
I wish there're people who's love!:flowers:

Last edited:
I had recently been researching some history about the Queen, specifically in the context of the quilt she made while under house arrest. (I am interested in textile art, and a few weeks back read an article describing it and her ordeal in some detail.) The history of the islands has fascinated me for some time, though I haven't delved deeply into it before now. I think the extent of my knowledge was James Michener's novel Hawaii LOL! I read it as a teenager.

Anyway, in my research in recent days, I found this blog post. As a warning, the tone is belligerent and the blogger alleges all sorts of nasties on the part of the Queen, and asserts history that seem to me to run counter than what the well-informed posters in this thread have presented. Please note that the blogger clearly has a political agenda, and let's just say peace activism is not on it. The viewpoint and tone of the blog in general may offend. But I'm sharing the link because I'm interested in having his allegations refuted by yourself and Glittering Tiaras, who clearly have a solid grasp of Hawaiian history and tradition.

The Dougout: Was Hawaii Queen Liliuokalani Really Like Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi?

I've been in two minds about bringing this up here, but since Lady Gabrielle sort of bumped up the thread... ;)

If this discussion is not considered appropriate or too political for the forum, I certainly understand.

Unfortunately, that blog is very biased, offensive, and clearly the writer has no idea what really happened. If you want me to be frank about it, he's sounds like typical 18th century colonialist whose interest is not for the people of Hawai'i, but rather his own selfish and dare I say capitalist imperialist agenda (which is happening right now throughout all the islands... something that I call The Second Wave of Colonialism in Modern Hawai'i. I've been writing about this subject, for fun, for three years now. Case and point: La`au Point, Molokai.)

Czarina, I have very strong opinions about what has happened and continues to happen in Hawai'i, the Kanaka Maoli, the 'aina, history, culture and traditions, and so forth. Furthermore, this is not the forum to expand on this subject. Why? Political. Way too political. One cannot have a serious discussion about the overthrow without becoming political. I believe it's impossible.

Second, it would be very difficult for members to really understand where I'm and the people who are pushing for sovreignity are coming from. It's one thing to be a tourist, stay in the designated tourist areas, and believe everything is sunshine and daisies in Hawai'i. Sadly, it's not. It's a facade. In order to thoroughly understand the Kanaka as well as the history of Hawai'i, one needs to stay there for a long time, immerse themselves into the culture, learn the language, get to know the Kanaka, and if one is lucky the will become a Hanai (adopted/adoption by a local. It's hard to explain) by individual or family.

In my previous post I listed several books that I had to read whilst in school. I believe it would be beneficial for you to pick up The Ruling Chiefs of Hawai'i by Samuel Kamakau as well as Hawaiian Antiquities by David Malo. The book, Aloha Betrayed is a fascinating text. The author primary sources are Hawaiian newspapers as well as other texts written in Hawaiian. Unlike the many popular books about the Annexation and the history of Hawai'i (which was mainly written by Haoles who cannot read nor speak Hawaiian; nor did they bother to find someone to help them translate the vast amount of information straight from the people during and after the overthrow). Aloha Betrayed chronicles the story as well as other issues from the Hawaiian perspective. Again, the author also analyzes other issues within the book as well.

Other books that I recommend:

Dismembering Lahui: A History of the Hawaiian Nation to 1887 by Jonathan Osorio

From a Native Daughter: Colonialism and Sovereignty in Hawaii by Haunani Kay-Trask

Native Land and Foreign Desires: Pehea LA E Pono Ai? How Shall We Live in Harmony? by Lilikala Kame'eleihiwa *I just started reading this book and so far, so good.

Finally, two books that are a must:

Hawaii's Story by Queen Lili`uokalani

The Betrayal of Lili`uokalani: Last Queen of Hawaii 1838-1917 by Helena Allen

To end my long dissertation on the subject, the best way I can explain what happened in less than a paragragh: Imagine your neighbor, with whom you have had a trusted relationship with for years, knocks on your door one day and tells you to get out because he wants to move into your house. You cannot go to the authorites to complain because the new chief of police is related to your neighbor who is taking your house and prized possessions.

That's essentially what happened.

Last edited:
Glittering Tiaras, thank you very much for sharing more of your knowledge in this matter. I will check for the books you suggest on Amazon. (It's been at least three weeks since I ordered from them, and my hands are shaking LOL!) I'm an avid reader and love history. Hawaii's Story in particular intrigues me, and is well-reviewed.

Married to a man of Chippewa decent, I am sensitive to the impact of colonialism and displacement... and ignorance. As recently as the 1930's, his grandfather was not accepted into "polite" society, and wound up abandoning his young family to live in the remote forest of extreme northern Michigan. While the issues in his family are of course different than that of Hawaii's history, I can certainly understand the strength of your feelings in this matter. Thank you again for your insight and recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom