Royal Family of Hawai'i

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes!! As a Hawaiian, I must say that there are alot of people here in Hawaii who fondly remember our beloved :heart: Queen Lilliokalani; moreover, we also remember our greatest monarch of them all -- King Kamehameha the Great!

Aloha and much love from Kauai,

Athena :flower:

001999.jpg
Here's a photo of Queen Liliuokalani...from ANB.org

When I went to Hawaii on my honeymoon three years ago, my husband and I visitied the Iolani Palace, the only royal palace on US soil. We went on a tour of the building- right in the middle of downtown Honolulu- and the tour guide told us the story of the Hawaiian royal family's last days as monarchs. Several rooms in the palace still lie empty or almost empty. The foundation who cares for the house and conducts tours is basically combing the world for the actual pieces that used to be in the house 150 years ago and were sold by the US government when they just walked in and took over the Islands. It's a very sad story, but it's really inspirational how the Hawaiians still cherish the memory of their last queen and how much they care for her home.

The Hawaiian royal family was very musical, too. Each member played several instruments, including Queen Liluokalani (sp?). The Queen was also a composer.

Karin

Husband

What was the name of HM Queen Liliuokalani husband?

The Queen of Hawaii attended Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. Unfortunately, many of the Royals were racial snobs and would not sit next to the lady!

That's terrible! I've been to Oahu about 15 times because I have relatives there. I must admit I have never been to the palace...maybe when i was like 3? But I do have an interest for them. I hope they manage to find the artifacts around the world because it would make the palace much more of a treasure! Can anybody give me random facts on the family...doesn't matter who was ruling or anything. Thanks!

filipastarck said:
What was the name of HM Queen Liliuokalani husband?

John Owen Dominis. I didn't know but I knew he wasn't a native Hawaiian. So I looked it up. According to her, it wasn't a very good marriage either.

who is the current heir and pretender. Are they involved in Hawaii. I watches a program on tv about the palace. They discussed how they searched around the world for artifacts. There was one story about some furniture washing up on shore and a guy kept it in his house for years having no idea what it was.

[FONT=&quot]The present Head of the Royal House is Prince Quentin (see below)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source Royal [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ark[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]flag and coat of arm source [/FONT]: royalark, ultimateflags.com

[FONT=&quot]H.R.H. Prince Quentin Kuhio Kawananakoa, Head of the Royal House of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hawaii[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. b. at Monterey, California, 28th September 1961, third son of H.R.H. Prince Edward Abner Keli'iahonui Kawananakoa II, Head of the Royal House of Hawaii, by his second wife, H.R.H. Princess Carolyn Kawananakoa, née Willison, educ. Punahou Sch., Honolulu, Oahu; UCLA, California, and the William S. Richardson Sch. of Law, Univ. of Hawaii (LL.B. 1991). Attorney-at-Law in private practice with Case & Lynch, then with Case, Bigelow & Lombardi until 2000. MHR 26th District of the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hawaii[/FONT][FONT=&quot]State[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Legislature 1994-1998. Succeeded on the death of his father as Head of the Royal House of Hawaii, after the renunciation of his elder brothers, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]29th July 1997[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Regent of Hale o na [FONT=&quot]Alii[/FONT] o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hawaii[/FONT][FONT=&quot] since 1997, Presdt. Prince Kuhio Hawaiian Civic Club, and Kulia Ka Ohana, Mbr. Hawaii Advisory Cttee., Hawaiian Home Lands Trust,[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Hawaiian Homes Cmsn., US Civil Rights Cmsn., Friends of 'Iolani Palace, Dvpt. Cncl. of Moanalua Gardens Foundation, Ahahui O Kapi'olani, Brd. of Hawaii Public Television Foundation (HPTF), etc. m. September 1995, H.R.H. Princess Elizabeth Kawananakoa, née Elizabeth Broun (b. in Barbados). He has issue, two sons:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1) H.R.H. Prince Kincaid Kawananakoa. b. at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Honolulu[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Oahu[/FONT][FONT=&quot], June 1996.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2) H.R.H. Prince Riley Kawananakoa. b. at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Honolulu[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Oahu[/FONT][FONT=&quot], December 1999.[/FONT]

Royal Residence
Washington Place
1 kapalama.ksbe.edu 2 the.honoluluadvertiser.com 3 starbulletin.com 4 the.honoluluadvertiser.com

Royal Residence
Hulihe'e Palace
By daughtersofhawaii.org, Profimedia, huliheepalace.org, webshots

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal Residence
Iolani Palace
Webshots, ioalanipalace.org, profimedia, starbulletin.com, spiritofaloha.com, janeresture.com
olycom

Princess Ruth Ke'elikōlani
nationalmaster.com, answer.com , starbulletin.com

Mansion of Princess Ruth (kapalama.ksbe.edu)

Last edited:
Queen Emma (wife ok Kamehameha IV)
1 profimedia 2 bishopmuseum.org 3 pbenyon.plus.com
4 Funeral of Queen Emma (kapalama.ksbe.edu)

Queen Liliuokalani

Profimedia libweb.hawaii.edu , art.com, iml.jou.ufl.edu, digital.library.upenn.edu, olycom
,vscc.cc.tn.us, freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com

Prince Consort John Owen Dominis
(digital.library.upenn.edu)

Last edited:
Regalia
1 Starbulletin.com
2 ioalanipalace.org
3 olycom

Last edited:
wow, i'm so intrigued! do u think there might be a return to this monarchy?

tete said:
wow, i'm so intrigued! do u think there might be a return to this monarchy?
Unfortunately, because Hawai'i is firmly a part of the US, it is unconstitutional for any kind of monarchy or nobility to be restored. However, I have always thought that the state should consider a way to recognise the monarchy as a symbol of state unity and heritage.

tiaraprin said:
The Queen of Hawaii attended Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. Unfortunately, many of the Royals were racial snobs and would not sit next to the lady!
Fortunately, HM Victoria was as ever the model of royal perfection, having friends of many colours. :wub:

Back
Top Bottom