Royal Family of Hawai'i

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
US Gov't propose path to sovereignty

With the federal government allowing native Hawaiians to form their own government similar to those of Native Americans, I wonder if the monarchy will be restored as part of the new government.

Federal government proposes new path to sovereignty - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

This does not mean the US is pulling out of Hawaii, but Native Hawaiians will have their own government that will, presumably, have a government to government relationship with the feds.

With the federal government allowing native Hawaiians to form their own government similar to those of Native Americans, I wonder if the monarchy will be restored as part of the new government.

Federal government proposes new path to sovereignty - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

This does not mean the US is pulling out of Hawaii, but Native Hawaiians will have their own government that will, presumably, have a government to government relationship with the feds.

Theoretically couldn't they arrange it like the Maori monarchy in New Zeeland as ceremonial figureheads without any political power?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Theoretically couldn't they arrange it like the Maori monarchy in New Zeeland as ceremonial figureheads without any political power?

Hawaii will remain part of the US, so the monarchy would only be able to rule over the Native Hawaiians. I suppose they could have political power, but it would be up to the Native Hawaiians to decide, not the federal government. I think.

Hawaii will remain part of the US, so the monarchy would only be able to rule over the Native Hawaiians. I suppose they could have political power, but it would be up to the Native Hawaiians to decide, not the federal government. I think.

Yes that's what I meant, them having some ceremonial or cultural roles as heads of the community. Are Native American chieftains (if there still are any) official heads of their tribes?

Native Hawaiians have been fighting for their rights and their lands for years. As they continue to loose their language and their ability to do anything in their communities. It's heart wrenching to see how beautiful parts of Hawaii are but to know that they can't afford to live here ( last year 1,700+ families left Hawaii stating its too fanatically difficult to make here. According to The Honolulu Advertiser). It's sad to know that Molokai has hardly any jobs but has maybe 7,000 people living there. Native Hawaiians are 'endangered' their language their land and their people. ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1454660528.147098.jpg

The late Princess Regina's "son"

Several obituaries of Princess Regina refer to her son, Prince Erik Linstrom Kawānanakoa. I have never heard of this man and nor can I find any reference to him in any Hawaiian genealogical works, so was wondering if anyone could shed light on him. The late princess was married twice but had no issue from those marriages so I wonder if this was an adopted son.

20160724_170939.jpg Does anyone know who this Royal Family member is?

Last edited:
It's funny how people only know the names if those royals who cause a ruckus like the Kawanankoas and the Salazars. People forget that there are numerous royals still alive that stay behind the scenes because of the probability of backlash and fighting. This is one of them. His genealogy goes back 60 generations and His families descendents were Kings of Maui and Kauai. So those that claim that they are pretenders to the throne might as well move over because this is another.

Well since no one could answer the question...his name is Prince Darrick Lane Baker of Hawaii. His lineage is quite impressive. His 6th generation grandfather was King Kekaulike of Maui. Another grandparent was Queen Kamakahelei of Kauai. His lineage is connected to the last Monarchs before the overthrow of The kingdom. So you see..the Hawaiian royals are many and the genealogy is intricate and extensive. In fact all the royals are related to each other since the Kings had so many wives. I find it amusing that someone from one of the lines will claim they are pretenders to the throne when in reality there are numerous family members that can claim that. Anyway...I thought you all might like to see a new face among the HRF.

Last edited:
I will refrain from commenting on this marriage. Only because it's a joke and so is she.

How is the marriage of two people who have been together for 21 years a joke?

I am entitled to my opinion. I don't agree with it.

Think the US government is ever going to give the former royal family any sort of recognition like the Federal Republic of Germany? I mean I find it ridiculous that we aren't really giving them any sort of status like the Native American chiefdoms, there are still plenty of Native Hawaiians who respect the former monarchy.

-Frozen Royalist

It will never happen. The U.S. government wants to put us in the same category of Native Americans which we are not. Then they talked about putting all Hawaiians on Kaho'olawe which is a deserted island full of unexploded ordinances and hardly any vegetation left. It was used for bombing practice way back when. I doubt very much the U.S. will ever recognize Hawaii as a soverign nation, at least not in our time.

I mean an autonomous community like the Native American settlements. I've never once thought of the Native Hawaiians, along with the Native Alaskans, to be like Native Americans.

I know it is an unlikely possibility but it is still wishful thinking to me.

-Frozen Royalist

Help with date of death of Hawaiian royal

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Prince Edward David Kawananakoa died 20 May 1953 of a heart attack, but some genealogical sources state that his third wife, Cecilia Kuliaikanuuowaialeale Parker-Waipa, died on 20 May 1953. I can find nothing to support the suggestion that she died on the same day as her husband and was wondering if anyone on this site might know the actual date of death of the Prince's third wife? Thanks.[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Sam Sanchez is alive and well, living in Memphis, Tennessee.
He and Regina divorced in 1997 shortly after her father's death. He remarried in 2004 to Delaine Thornton and moved to Tennessee.
He attended Regina's memorial service in January 2017.

Yes, this child was put up for adoption. Long story. Last known to be living in Texas.

Hawaii

Are you able to give a little more information about the child who was given up for adoption (are we talking about a child of Regina?). Thanks

Just an outline/third hand story. Matched what you posted though.
Male child born to young Regina 1966ish? unhappily/unwillingly? given up for adoption later searched for and found living in Texas.

Thanks for explaining. It is good they were eventually reunited. I wonder if the rest of Regina’s family acknowledge the chap as a member of the family.

Enriching Hawaiian Royal Heritage

My Great Grandmother, Rose Campbell Bourke, was a Royal Court Dancer for the Palace as a young girl. I am a milliner and accessories designer for Royal and formal occasions. I am very interested in Hawaiian Royal Geneology and keeping of records for this forgotten segment of history. Unlike European Royal Records, Hawaiian historical documentation has not been easy to obtain. My best answer from Iolani Palace staff was that the Hawaiians did not rely on a record-based written history but held an 'oral, storytelling tradition'. I can infer that either records were destroyed intentionally, or that there was little effort in obtaining a basic cultural template of this unique time and place due to an emphasis on European acquisition of land and people. I am not interested any more in apologies or additional stories of the final days of the Hawaiian Royal Monarchy. I am much more interested in anyone who knows what the day to day traditions and cultural exchanges of Aloha were inside the Palace. It is important to stay elevated in heart and mind. This keeps us all truly Regal in every sense of the word. Please join in the conversation and exploration of this topic! Leilani Anderson

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Prince Edward David Kawananakoa died 20 May 1953 of a heart attack, but some genealogical sources state that his third wife, Cecilia Kuliaikanuuowaialeale Parker-Waipa, died on 20 May 1953. I can find nothing to support the suggestion that she died on the same day as her husband and was wondering if anyone on this site might know the actual date of death of the Prince's third wife? Thanks.[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

No she died on February 23, 1981. Here are links to her obituaries from 1981. She remarried to Walter A. Schoening.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/22475169/honolulu_starbulletin/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/22475164/the_honolulu_advertiser/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/22475182/honolulu_starbulletin/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/22475192/honolulu_starbulletin/

On 31 July took part the inauguration of the statue of King Kamehameha III of Hawaii in Honolulu on the occasion of the 175th anniversary of Monarchy restoration by the Kingdom of Great Britain on July 31, 1843.
Princess Owana, Head of the Royal House of Hawaii, was present with her brothers Princes Laanui and Kalani.

King Kamehameha III Statue Unveiled on Hawaiian Sovereignty Restoration Day - Honolulu Magazine - July 2018 - Hawaii

At this event was present also Princess Marie of Liechtenstein with her daughter Princess Marguerite

Marie de France et Marguerite de Liechtenstein à Honolulu - Noblesse & Royautés

Kavebear...thanks for the picture but it is so big that it has blown the page and now all the type is so small I need a magnifier to read and the picture is huge.. Maybe you can resize the picture or a mod can? All the other forums are normal size print. Thanks.

Thank you for the correct date of death and the picture - much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom