Royal Family of Hawai'i

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a question for you all. England and Queen Victoria were very close to Hawaii. Queen Victoria was the little Prince Alberts god mother. I wonder why England didnt fight for Hawaii when the thieves, the missionaries were planning an overthrow. Hawaii would have been a protectorate of England. I wish it would have happened. Even Japan, Princess Kaiulani was supposed to marry the son of the Emporor of Japan. Why didnt anyone fight for Hawaii? Im disappointed that England never pushed the issue. Granted Japan went to war with the U.S. But Im talking about back then.

Hawaiian royals

i wonder what it would be like today i kinda miss it would be nice 2 visit royals closer 2 the usa

I'm going to Hawaii in 2 weeks...I'm looking forward to seeing some of the Royal artifacts while there.

...I wonder why England didnt fight for Hawaii .
To some degrees they did, though not very wholeheartedly.
The British minister Julian Pauncefote in Washington protest the overthrow but the British later accepted the Republic of Hawaii the following year and accepted the annexation in 1899 and the fate of Hawaii. The Republic of Hawaii was invited to Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897 showing how things have change in less than ten years. The reason was probably that Britain had its hand tied with it colonial possession in Africa, Asia and other parts of the Pacific and didn't want to start a conflict with America over a few islands outside of their influence; the same reason Britain never interfered in France's conquest of Tahiti and neighboring islands in the 1840s. I think there is more to the British protest but I am not sure...

The Japanese were more honorable, although there may be some motives in this. They protested the occupation of Hawaii until 1900 and sent two warships, the Naniwa and the Takachiho in 1893 to Honolulu. The Japanese offered to take Liliuokalani back to Japan to set up a government in exile but she refused to abandon her people and there were talks of forcibily restoring the Queen with the condition that Japanese subjects in Hawaii were to be given equal rights and a marriage proposal between Princess Kaiulani and Prince Komatsu Akihito of the Fushimi-no-miya line (half-brother of Prince Higashifushimi Yorihito, the Japanese prince Kalakaua met in 1881). Other than that I think every single nation that the Kingdom of Hawaii had diplomatic relation with recognized the Provisional Government, the Republic that followed, and America's annexation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being American doesn't change the LEGAL facts.

Giving up Hawaii is a part of the United States, and you, as you stated, are from the United States, your question seems a little weird...

Technically it was (is) an Illegal occupation (Admitted by the US Government then and now) under rules of international law, and several treaties including treaties with the United States which was the the first to advocate its independence in efforts to keep other countries from doing the unthinkable, and an ongoing issue today since the American President at first couldn't get backing from Congress to intervene, and the next one also rejected the "false government's" attempts to make it a state. Unfortunately it was not resolved when the Spanish-American War erupted. Hawai'i was just in the way, that is to say conveniently located for military installments to fight the Spanish in the Pacific. So it just kind of got absorbed. The Akaka Bill, signed by Pres. Clinton was an apology that just didn't do much for the legitimate Kingdom of Hawai'i. But to tell the truth, I believe it is a step in the right direction there are actions set in motion. Maybe won't see any result until we are old and gray or perhaps after we pass away, but I am sure Hawai'an independence is not a longshot. They have even MORE legal momentum than most native efforts seeking separation

well now

Was business men (at least their descendants) and American ministers and small naval fleet not the missionaries. but Yes, France, was also in there with interests. and Hawai'i had treaties with the German Empire, Sweden, Denmark and many more but nobody stepped in where the American Government failed to do so.

Family is there

i wonder what it would be like today i kinda miss it would be nice 2 visit royals closer 2 the usa

The Family (s) are still there, and obviously the more well-off of the natives, in Fact... Much like Royal Families from other countries. Keep in mind the Queen of Spain is from the no longer ruling Greek Royal family. The last German King lived and died in the Netherlands.... I still wonder what happened to the rest of that branch of royals.

I believe the Island of Kaho'olawe is barren, and even more barren than what it was before target practice began. It is visible from Maui, where I had a condo for many years. I believe it is not an ideal place to live unless one had incredible money to put into terraforming it. Not a good idea.
This is in response to an earlier mention of thoughts about starting a "native Hawaiian" island with its own governor.
There is an island where most of the people are nearly pure blooded Hawaiian, but it's owned by someone, not free. Niihau. Now some corporate raider has bought the Island of Lanai as well--or 98% of it.
This is a sad story. Princess Kaiulani was beautiful but died young of tuberculosis, if memory serves.

Last edited:
wow, i'm so intrigued! do u think there might be a return to this monarchy?

If the Native Hawaiian people are recognized as a sovereign people on par with sovereign Native American Tribes, they could organize their government as a limited monarchy. The King would be a ceremonial chief like some Native American tribes have. I don't think that he would be given any real power but he could be the ceremonial head-of-state for the Native Hawaiian nation and could a lot of the same ceremonial stuff the British monarch does.

That way, Hawaii could have its cake and eat it, too. They would have all the benefits of American statehood and all the fun of a monarchy as well!

Scooter, how was your trip. What did you see in terms of royal artifacts?

Loved, loved,loved Hawaii Nui as always. Nothing royal artifact wise (small museum on the 'settlers' in Lahaina) on Maui, but loads of fun. Palace on the Big Island, which is quite modest by european standards. Restaurant wise...Roy's wherever there is one! Unbelievably great night manta ray scuba with 36 swooping and looping back and forth in 30 feet of water where you sit on the bottom and shine the light up into the dark water to attract the plankton they feed on. OK I can go back right now! The last time we were here it was whale season (spring) and you could see them breeching with their calves. It's amazing how little of each island is developed compaired to a caribbean island.:flowers:

Thanks for that link. I just found this part of the forums. I know there was a petition signed by thousands of kanaka maoli in 1897 protesting annexation by the U.S. My ancestors signed it. Wasn't it suppressed and ignored by Congress? I thought it only came to light again a couple of decades ago. Then native people were told that they should not protest statehood since they had allowed the annexation, and it was only when the petition was unearthed in the 1970's (I think?) that people realized they had not agreed to annexation.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

To commemorate the unification of the Hawaiian islands under a single ruler, floats, trolleys, marching bands and dancers parade through the streets of Hawaiian towns every year for King Kamehameha Day, June 11

Read more: Happy King Kamehameha Day! | Around The Mall

the pictures of Hawaiian royalty dressed like Europeans is pathetic. It has even been written that Princess Kaiulani died because she never got enough sun on her skin, being cooped up and dressed like a fake European (that may or may not be true, legends are not always true in Hawaii). While Europeans cannot take as much sun as the native Hawaiians did, that race did well living exposed to sunshine. They may even have gotten a Vitamin D deficiency from wearing Victorian clothes. By now I am thinking there probably are few descendants of royalty there who are even half Hawaiian.

I loved Hawaii and I wish we had been able to stay there. I was made sick both by the sun and by the intense toxic spraying done on condos (to keep bugs down) and also they way they raised sugar cane on Maui (and presumably elsewhere in the islands) was to spray the leaves to keep off bugs and then burn the whole visible plant, and get at the root this way--which produced toxic smoke every time they did it. It was fascinating to see how many intoxicated people were walking around after a cane burning. And also fascinating (miserably) to see how young the can workers died. The Hawaiians are not and were not saints, but they didn't deserve exploitation like this.

Descendants of Hawaiian royalty

Descendants of the Keoua Nui family. Top three are Prince Noa DeGuair, his mother Owana Salazar and his sister Princess Mahana Walters.
163912_1781090370948_2102309_n.jpg

Descendants of the Kawananakoa family. Prince Andrew Ka'eokulani, Prince Jonah Kealiʻiokalani and their mother Princess Tanya and father Prince Andrew Piʻikoi, who is a brother of Quentin Kawananakoa.
523760_3920798650985_221085555_n.jpg

Last edited:
Whose who?

Can anyone identify which members of the Hawaiian Royal Family are in these two pictures?
Thanks

Abigail Kawananakoa pushes for new crypt at Mauna 'Ala | Local News - Home
Land board approves burial crypt for Abigail Kawananakoa | Local News - Home

I hate how the Hawaiian news stations call her an "adoptive" person making everyone think she is a white woman adopted into the royal family trying to buy herself into the royal tombs when she clearly has the lineage. She is the biological granddaughter of Prince David Kawananakoa, the nephew of Queen Kapiolani and King Kalakaua, and she was adopted or hanai to her grandmother the elder Princess Abigail Campbell Kawananakoa. Princess Abigail Kawananakoa is probably the last high key Hawaiian royal who lives a near-to-royal lifestyle left in Hawaii and the last Kawananakoa without a disputed lineage since her aunt was considered illegitimate by Prince David Kawananakoa.

The Family (s) are still there, and obviously the more well-off of the natives, in Fact... Much like Royal Families from other countries. Keep in mind the Queen of Spain is from the no longer ruling Greek Royal family. The last German King lived and died in the Netherlands.... I still wonder what happened to the rest of that branch of royals.

Only a few royals are well off. Very few royal lands are in royal hands anymore. The Kawananakoa family own land from the Campbell Estates inherited from their haole ancestors who earned and bought the lands through business. The further you go down the less money the family has and the more civilian they become.

Most of the lands of the Hawaiian monarchs were turn into charitable estates like Liliuokalani Children Trust, Kamehameha Schools from the lands of the Kamehameha dynasty, The Queen's Medical Center funded from Queen Emma's former estates, and Lunalilo Home funded by Lunalilo's remaining lands (I don't think there is much left due to poor management).

Loved, loved,loved Hawaii Nui as always. Nothing royal artifact wise (small museum on the 'settlers' in Lahaina) on Maui, but loads of fun. Palace on the Big Island, which is quite modest by european standards. Restaurant wise...Roy's wherever there is one! Unbelievably great night manta ray scuba with 36 swooping and looping back and forth in 30 feet of water where you sit on the bottom and shine the light up into the dark water to attract the plankton they feed on. OK I can go back right now! The last time we were here it was whale season (spring) and you could see them breeching with their calves. It's amazing how little of each island is developed compaired to a caribbean island.:flowers:

You missed out on Mokuula, the royal island compound they are trying to restore, and Waiola Church, where Queen Keopuolani, Princess Nahienaena and King Kaumualii are bury, when you were in Lahaina. Also he foundation of Kamehameha the Great's brick palace. All Hawaiian palaces were modest. I think when Iolani Palace was built, it was smaller than many mansions in San Francisco at the time.

Friends of Moku`ula - Home Page
www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6upPFCGAJY

Dialta-1-IMG_1128.jpg

Eleanor Kawananakoa, left, Liz Kawananakoa, Princess Dialta Alliata di Montereale, Diane von Fürstenberg, Wanda Watumull and Marion Philpotts-Miller. (Photo courtesy Princess Dialta Alliata di Montereale)

Honolulu, Hawaii Calendar of Events – Hawaii Entertainment and Nightlife – Honolulu Pulse

Liz Kawnanakaoa is the wife of Quentin Kawnanakaoa and Eleanor Kawnanakaoa is the wife of Quentin's brother David Kawnanakaoa.

How Protiens are made - YouTube

This video was made by Kincaid Kawananakoa, the son of Quentin Kawananakoa. Go to youtube and notice the first comment. I would hate to have been him growing up. He must have been made fun a lot for his family's former royal status.

Abigail Kawananakoa's burial may cause criticism - YouTube
Abigail Kawananakoa's tomb request recieving backlash - YouTube

Princess Regina Kawananakoa of Hawaii

Princess Regina divorced her first husband, Jim Bartels and some sources say that she re-married in 1991 Samuel Sanchez but I have never seen a picture of the Princess with this man? Did she re- marry and if so are they still married?
Thanks.

The only information I'm finding is that she was married to Bartels till his death in 2003 but that info could be wrong.

Edited to add: Yes, I think the info is wrong. It does seem that they divorced. Try looking through this genealogical list:

http://www.royalark.net/Hawaii/hawaii10.htm

Last edited:
who is she ? princess from Hawai?
when was the kingdom Haiwai abloshid?

The kingdom of Hawaii was illegally overthrown in 1893 with Queen Liliuokalani being forced to abdicate in 1895. The princess previously referred to is the sister of the current head of the family, Prince Quentin Kawananakoa.

Truly terrible what happened to the Kingdom of Hawaii...

I sincerely hope that someday soon the Monarchy is restored, in some fashion, maybe as the royal family of the United States!!

Back
Top Bottom