Royal and Noble Families of Poland and Lithuania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see that you are in Poland. I am also from Poland but now live in the United States. I'm just stating that to let people know I'm speaking about a country I know something about.

The clause you are speaking of was dependent on the agreement of Frederick Augustus I of Saxony who declined this clause.
I guess if the Wettins still have the strongest claim then I am glad we don't have a monarchy in Poland and hope we never do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a newspaper article about the wedding of "The Red Prince" and Princess Jadwiga Sanguszko.

Ksi

About Jadwiga's sister Helena, there is a book about her "Dama w jedwabnej sukni." Is it a good book?

Last edited:
The leading monarchist movement of Lithuania, The Royal House of Lithuania Associatio

For many centuries Lithuania has been shaping its state. Revolution filled the air at the end of the 1800s and beginning of the 1900s, destroying many monarchies. The majority of the revolting nations replaced their thrones with communist governments. Despite that, on June 4, 1918 the Council of Lithuania voted to invite Prince Wilhelm of Urach, Count of Württemberg, to become the king of a newly independent Lithuania. He was elected on 11 July 1918, taking the name King Mindaugas II. Through marriage to Duchess Amalie in Bavaria (1865–1912), is related, also, to the Lithuanian princess Louise Caroline Radvila of Biržai.It is very symbolic that the rare documents such as the letter of Pope Benedict XV, welcoming Wilhelm's selection as the future king of Lithuania (the copy of the document could be found in Stuttgart archive) and letters between General von Ludendorff and Swiss government stating the election of the king in 1918 (courtesy The Lithuanian cultural center in Germany) become known to Lithuanian public.
Despite the global economic and political crises, the leading monarchies of the world manage to overcome these hardships with much dignity, through giving their nations the sense of unity, missing in other modern forms of government. In Lithuania, we may, recently, observe the active revival of the monarchist’s movement and the public opinion steadily grows favorable to monarchy re-establishment. We agree with the majority of Lithuanians, who believes that the throne pretender choice should be based not only on dynastic principles but also on ability to serve to the people successfully. The Royal House of Lithuania Association(headed by H.E. Stanislovas Švedarauskas), the oldest and most reputable monarchist’s movement of Lithuania, did a profound case study of the potential legitimate candidates and arrived at the conclusion that H.S.H. Prince Inigo von Urach, Count of Württemberg suites for position of the Lithuanian throne pretender more then anybody else.
Inigo von Urach (born 1962) is the direct descendant of the last Lithuanian king Mindaugas II, Roman Catholic, family man and dedicated father of 3 children (2 of them-boys). He is connected to Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, British, Russian, Monaco, Bavarian and Portuguese Royal families by birth. The Prince is actively working on positive country image establishment leading to deeper European integration. He supports Lithuanian cultural center in Germany, learning its language and culture. Inigo is constantly visiting the country of his ancestors, meet Lithuanians from a wide spectrum of life, understands their interests and daily problems. His social activities gained interest of the international media, people’s love and recognition (he is a honorary citizen of Kaunas town).The throne pretender should, obligatory, have successful military career to be able to play an important role in recognizing and supporting the work of the Armed Services. Inigo is the only von Urach family member to hold high military rank, serving currently in the army, and regularly participating in NATO military exercises. Finally, His Highness is willing to carry out important work in the areas of public and charitable service, through partnership with Royal House of Lithuania Association in the frame of the joint socio-cultural project called ”King Mindaugas Institute”.
Following the formal offer, done by the most numerable monarchist movement of Lithuania and recognition of his high statues, H.S.H. Prince Inigo von Urach, Count of Württemberg officially accepted the position. His full title since now will be: H.R.H. Grand Duke Inigo of Lithuania, Fürst v. Urach,Count of Württemberg. The Association and His Royal Highness are now partnering for bringing to Lithuania maximum social prosperity, national unity strengthening and stability effect regardless of the monarchy re-establishment.
For more information:
“The Royal House of Lithuania” | Facebook
10977_600.jpg

Message received by the Administrators...

LithuaniaGrandDucalArmssmall.png

The leading monarchist movement of Lithuania, The Royal House of Lithuania Association, is honored to inform that

HSH Prince Inigo von Urach, Count of Württemberg

great-grandson of the last King Mindaugas II of Lithuania,

was elected and recognized as the legitimate pretender to the Lithuanian Royal Throne.

For many centuries Lithuania has been shaping its state. Revolution filled the air at the end of the 1800s and beginning of the 1900s, destroying many monarchies. The majority of the revolting nations replaced their thrones with communist governments. Despite that, on June 4, 1918 the Council of Lithuania voted to invite Prince Wilhelm of Urach, Count of Württemberg, to become the king of a newly independent Lithuania. He was elected on 11 July 1918, taking the name King Mindaugas II. Through marriage to Duchess Amalie in Bavaria (1865-1912), he is also related to the Lithuanian princess, Louise Caroline Radvila of Bir'ai. It is very symbolic that the rare documents such as the letter of Pope Benedict XV welcoming Prince Wilhelm's selection as the future King of Lithuania (a copy of which can found in the Stuttgart archive) and letters between General von Ludendorff and the Swiss government stating the election of the king in 1918 have become known to the Lithuanian public courtesy of the Lithuanian cultural center in Germany.

Despite the global economic and political crises, the leading monarchies of the world manage to overcome these hardships with much dignity, through giving their nations the sense of unity, missing in other modern forms of government. In Lithuania, we may, recently, observe the active revival of the monarchist movement and the public opinion steadily grows favorable to the re-establishment of the monarchy. We agree with the majority of Lithuanians, who believes that the choice of Pretender to the Throne should be based not only on dynastic principles but also on ability to serve to the people successfully.

The Royal House of Lithuania Association (headed by H.E. Stanislovas ?vedarauskas), the oldest and most reputable monarchist movement of Lithuania, did a profound case study of potential legitimate candidates and arrived at the conclusion that HSH Prince Inigo von Urach, Count of Württemberg is the most suitable person for the position of Pretender to the Lithuanian throne.

Inigo von Urach (born 1962) is the direct descendant of the last Lithuanian king Mindaugas II, a Roman Catholic, a family man, and dedicated father of 3 children (2 sons and a daughter). He is connected to the Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, British, Russian, Monaco, Bavarian and Portuguese Royal families by birth. The Prince is actively working on the establishment of a positive country image leading to deeper European integration. He supports the Lithuanian cultural center in Germany, learning its language and culture. Inigo is an honorary citizen of the city of Kaunas and is constantly visiting the country of his ancestors, meeting Lithuanians from a wide spectrum of life. He understands their interests and daily problems. His social activities have gained the the people's love and recognition and attracted the interest of the international media.

The Pretender to the throne should, obligatory, have a successful military career and be able to play an important role in recognizing and supporting the work of the Armed Services. Inigo is the only von Urach family member to hold high military rank, serving currently in the army, and regularly participating in NATO military exercises. Finally, His Highness is willing to carry out important work in the areas of public and charitable service, through partnership with the Royal House of Lithuania Association in the frame of the joint socio-cultural project called the "King Mindaugas Institute".

Following the formal offer, done by the most numerable monarchist movement of Lithuania and in recognition of his high stature, H.S.H. Prince Inigo von Urach, Count of Württemberg officially accepted the position. His full title will henceforth be: HRH Grand Duke Inigo of Lithuania, Fürst v. Urach, Count of Württemberg. The Association and His Royal Highness are now in partnership with the aim of bringing to Lithuania maximum social prosperity, the strengthening of national unity and stability, regardless of whether the monarchy is re-established.

For more information:
“The Royal House of Lithuania” | Facebook

Interesting. Is the newly-elected claimant supported by any other organization and/or party? And how strong the pro-Monarchical movement is in Lithuania anyway? I'v never gathered the impression the Lithuanian people even thought of a restoration or potential claimants.

A wonderful novel about Poland is called simply "Poland", by James Michener. He is the author of other historical novels such as "Afghanistan," "Hawaii" and many others. I was so fascinated with "Poland" that I didn't put it down, except to sleep and eat, until I finished it. It has a broad historical sweep, showing people of all classes, including elected kings and defenders of Poland against encroachment, as well as Polish people who became the leaders of modern Poland (with a flavor like Doctor Zhivago about Russia).
There is considerable discussion in this novel about who became rulers of Poland and why, coming usually from the nobility, but different segments of the nobility who had differing ambitions and goals.
This thread is very interesting historically.
The Scots also elected their kings in the eras before the Stuarts became hereditary kings. I don't remember how the Stuarts became hereditary, but it probably was similar to the way in which the Carolingians took over from the previous dynasty of the Merovingians. The Carolingians were "mayors of the palace" to the Merovingians and did the day to day business of the crown, and finally took over, although Carolingian kings married Merovingian princesses to give authority to their rule. The Stuarts started their ascent as similar aides to the kings of Brittany and later Scotland, such as King David I of Scotland. Finally they became the ruling thread of the land, and also gained legitimacy by marrying noblewomen and a king's daughter such as Marjory Bruce.
My own family was perhaps a notch below the Stuarts as "aides", since they seem to have been aides to the Stuarts in England and then followed them to Scotland and always supported them even when it meant loss of their lands and power.

Last edited:
H.R.H. Grand Duke Inigo of Lithuania, Fürst v. Urach,Count of Württemberg

Interesting. Is the newly-elected claimant supported by any other organization and/or party? And how strong the pro-Monarchical movement is in Lithuania anyway? I'v never gathered the impression the Lithuanian people even thought of a restoration or potential claimants.

Yes!In Lithuania, we may, recently, observe the active revival of the monarchist’s movement and the public opinion steadily grows favorable to monarchy re-establishment.Therefore, "The Royal House of Lithuania" Association(headed by H.E. Stanislovas Švedarauskas), is the oldest and most reputable monarchist’s movement of Lithuania. H.S.H. Prince Inigo von Urach, Count of Württemberg supports Lithuanian cultural center in Germany, learning its language and culture. Inigo is constantly visiting the country of his ancestors, meet Lithuanians from a wide spectrum of life, understands their interests and daily problems. His social activities gained interest of the international media, people’s love and recognition (he is a honorary citizen of Kaunas town).

Thera are only few people in Lithuania who knows about Prince Inigo existence or about Urach claimants at all.

Last edited:
From 17 to 21 of November 2012 H.S.H.Prince Inigo von Urach, Count von Wurttemberg, Lithuanian crown pretender, paid an official visit to Lithuania. The visit took place through the invitation from The Royal House of Lithuania Association. He was greeted at the Vilnius airport by the president of Association, H.E.Stanislavas Svederauskas. Later, in the scope of his first official visit in a new role, His Highness met various officials and had several working meetings, with,namely: the board members of the leading monarchists movement of Lithuania, parliamentarian H.E. Egidijus Vareikis, a deputy of city of Vilnius H.E.Vidas Urbonavichius, the representatives of the mayor of Vilnius H.E. Artūras Zuokas,many others.His Highness launched the preparatory work for creation of “Mindaugas Institute” with the main Project called ”Economic and social stability aid” Program. A lot is left to be done, but the first , key stones, were already laid to make the solid basement.Inigo also gave the extencive interview to various local magazines.:flowers:

For more information and photos , please visit:
The Royal House of Lithuania - Vilnius, Lithuania - Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) | Facebook

Poland's last dynastic monarchs vs. later elected monarchs

Hello everyone!

From what I best remember in my memory... I believe King Sigismund II Augustus was the last dynastic king (monarch) of Poland.

He ruled until about 1570 (again... as best I remember). After that, as so many people here have pointed out, Poland became an "elective monarchy" -- with the country's powerful nobility choosing their own rulers.

Much of our conversation here has been about an "elective king" (or queen) coming back to the Polish throne, and who that person/family might be.

Sigismund II Augustus was the last king of the Jagiellon dynasty, which was actually a branch of the Gediminid dynasty that ruled neighboring Lithuania for centuries.

Although this is all only theoretical... if Poland were ever to have a monarchy again, would it be possible that they would draw from the Polish/Lithuanian Jagiellon Gediminids?

Or, because the Poland of today is a Republic, would the country by more inclined to look for families who descend from one of the later elected royal families?

No matter which past monarch the country would choose to look to... would it matter since any new monarch would still have to be "elected" (in some way) by the modern Polish Republic?

Please share your thoughts!

Sigismund II Augustus was the last king of the Jagiellon dynasty, which was actually a branch of the Gediminid dynasty that ruled neighboring Lithuania for centuries.

The last ruler of the Jagiellon dynasty was Anna Jagiellon who was elected and co ruled with her husband who was elected king, Stephen Bathory.

Side note: I came to the United States on a ship named after him.

Just a little off topic comment. I enjoy tidbits about language, and there are very few words in English the pronunciation of which changes depending on whether the first letter is upper or lower case. This thread reminded me of one: Polish vs. polish. Can you hear the difference? But, as always, there is an exception in the imperative: Polish your shoes at once young man!

Polish polishers polish Polish poles perfectly.
Polish that pole Polish pole polisher!

Hi Noble Consort Ming,

You are right... and yes, I do remember Anna Jagiellon.

She and her husband had a period of rule right after the Polish King Henry III. Yes, I know Henry doesn't sound like a Polish King's name, however he really existed! Henry was a French royal who was elected the throne of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth... at the end of Sigismund II Augustus' rule.

You are correct that Anna was born as a Jagiellon, since she was Sigismund II Agustus' sister.

If my memory serves me correct, however, she was considered as elected to the monarchy like her husband (and so was not what we would commonly call a "dynastic" ruler). She was, however, from the same family as the last dynasty, so maybe we can both be correct in a way... since perhaps it just depends how we look at it.

Anna Jagiellon ruled as queen along with her husband... King Stefan Bathory.

I think the Union of Lublin -- which transitioned Poland to elected monarchs -- had already taken place when she became queen (because of her brother Sigismund passing away without any legal heirs).

So perhaps we are both right. :) Even though Sigismund II Agustus was the last Jagiellon who technically inherited the throne... one more Jagiellon did sit on the Polish throne as a monarch. It seems she was the country's logical choice to be one of the first elected monarchs, because of the link she provided to the previous dynasty... while at the same time being elected.

She ended up having an interesting role in Polish history, as a sort of "transitional" monarch.

Anyway... I'm probably getting us off topic. Any ideas anyone as to which past dynasties Poland might theoretically look to... if ever re-establishing a type of monarchy? The Jagiellons (who ruled at some of Poland's greatest centuries), or later elected monarchs?

With all the different elected monarchs that came later... it seems like there might be a greater number of heirs to consider if Poland took that approach. Then again, as they were non-elected monarchs... the Jagiellons would not be in perfect step with the spirit of Poland's Republic government of today.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the titles of some good books on Poland. I havr been researching my husbands family and I have a lot to learn.

supertigerCh,

Despite the fact that my grandfather's family comes from the Polish gentry I have no desire to see Poland a monarchy again. I do think that our best and favorite kings comes from the period of the elected monarchy(I'm thinking Bathory and Sobieski) so electing the person people think could do the best job seems like it could get us a better ruler then just throwing a person up on the throne because of their family tree. Then again we had some crappy elected kings too so I really have no idea. If some people had their way I think they would love to see a Walewski(descendant of Napoleon) on the throne since Poland adores Napoleon. We sing about him in our national anthem(it was a march/song Polish soldiers in his army sang while on the Italian campaign). Even I have a giant portrait of him in my house. We might be the only country that doesn't see him as a tyrant and dictator.

Does anyone know the titles of some good books on Poland. I havr been researching my husbands family and I have a lot to learn.

What type of information are you looking for exactly? It might give me a better idea of what to recommend.

Actually, ironically the dejure Kings of Poland and Bohemia would be the Hohenzollerns who united Germany if we base that on the descendants of Luxembourgs and Casimir III so that means Poland would be still in union with Bohemia if the Casimir III succession was followed so both the Habsburgs and Jagiellonians could be considered usurpers.

Last edited:
Jakub Greloff married to Princess Anna Jadwiga Radziwill on 6 April 2013 in Warsaw, Poland.

The bride, 27, is the second daughter and third of the eight children of Prince Konstanty Radziwill (himself the eldest son of the late Prince Albert Radziwill and of his wife née Princess Anna Czartoryska) and of his wife, née Joanna Dabrowska.

Royal News of 2013, Section III
Radziwill

Hi all.

A recent feature on an Australian 'news' program (I call it that lightly) claimed that there was a family living here pretending to be descendants of Polish royalty. A quick google search identified a few pages, and a link to this forum. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any definitive proof. From what I can gather, the guy claims some kind of relationship, albeit distant to some family of note in Poland.

Unfortunately I don't read Polish, so that limits my ability to research the matter.

This is one of the pages with a history of the families
The Princely House of Kasperski-Labedz

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby

Actually, ironically the dejure Kings of Poland and Bohemia would be the Hohenzollerns who united Germany if we base that on the descendants of Luxembourgs and Casimir III so that means Poland would be still in union with Bohemia if the Casimir III succession was followed so both the Habsburgs and Jagiellonians could be considered usurpers.

In Poland we had 2 kings from Saxe dynasty so theoretically we could "take" some Saxe prince....

Hi all.

A recent feature on an Australian 'news' program (I call it that lightly) claimed that there was a family living here pretending to be descendants of Polish royalty. A quick google search identified a few pages, and a link to this forum. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any definitive proof. From what I can gather, the guy claims some kind of relationship, albeit distant to some family of note in Poland.

Unfortunately I don't read Polish, so that limits my ability to research the matter.

This is one of the pages with a history of the families
The Princely House of Kasperski-Labedz

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby

The particular family in the link claims to be part of the noble Kasperski family. Poland had/has non-royal princes. Their connection seems dubious. And they should only be using the surname Kasperski-Łabędź as Łabędź is the clan and coat of arms to which the family belongs and shares with many other noble families and not part of the surname written in this manner.

On the home page they discuss their history and refer to the old Polish noble families of princely status as royal which they were not. I'm from Poland and my grandfather's family is from the gentry(lower nobility) so I know a little about what I'm talking about.

The Australian television show to which you refer is "Today Tonight" and the segment was called "Phoney Royals". No princely title was ever conferred on the Kasperski family and, as shown in the programme, the two brothers Andrew / Andrzej and Marek / Mark have no right to the title. The show also revealed that one of the brothers had also worn Australian state medals and decorations (including the Order of Australia and a bravery medal) to which he was not entitled. The "Phoney Royals" segment may be viewed on YouTube: Today Tonight Adelaide Mark and Andrew Kasperski (aka Marek and Andrzej) "Phoney Royals" - YouTube

Didn't Infanta Isabel Alfonsa of Spain marry the Polish Count Jan Kanty Zamoyski,does anyone know much on his family background?

His family is an old aristocratic family from Poland, which dates back to the 15th century.
Count Jan Kanty Zamoyski was the seventh and youngest child of Count Andrzej Zamoyski (1852-1927) and of his wife, née Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (1856-1941). Maria Carolina was a daughter of Prince Francesco di Paola, Count of Trapani, and of his wife, née Archduchess Isabella of Austria, Princess of Tuscany.
Two of Andrzej and Maria Carolina children married to Bourbon relatives; more precisely, Countess Carolina Zamoyska married to her maternal first cousin Prince Ranieri of Bourbon-Two Sicilies in 1923, and they were the grandparents of the current Duke of Castro. Count Jan Kanty married to his first cousin once removed Infanta Isabel of Spain, Princess of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, who also was a niece of the above mentioned Prince Ranieri.
Of their other five siblings, one died unmarried in his twenties, another brother married to a (German) Countess, by whom he had five children, and the other three sisters married to Polish noblemen.
Count Andrzey was the owner of the Castle of Podzamcze, where in 1926 his grandson Prince Ferdinando of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Duke of Castro, was born.
Another branch of the Zamoyski family, more precisely the descendants of Andrzey's younger brother Count Adam, owns the magnificien Palace of Kozlowka, which is opened to the public as a museum.

Here is a genealogy of the Zamoyski family:
Zamoyski

Dominik Rainer Radziwiłł (1911-1976) and Son

Dominik Rainer Radziwiłł (1911-1976) married Princess Eugenie of Greece and Denmark (1910 - 1989) whose mother was a Bonaparte. They had two children together. One was Princess Tatiana Maria Renata Eugenia Elisabeth Margarete Radziwiłł (b. 28 August 1939) who married Jean Henri Fruchaud. The other was Prince Jerzy (George) Andreas Dominicus Heironymus Peter Leon Radziwill (4 November 1942 – 27 August 2001). There are pics and info about Tatiana on line, but nothing about Jerzy (George.) I'm curious about him. If anyone has pics and info, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dominik Rainer Radziwiłł (1911-1976) married Princess Eugenie of Greece and Denmark (1910 - 1989) whose mother was a Bonaparte. They had two children together. One was Princess Tatiana Maria Renata Eugenia Elisabeth Margarete Radziwiłł (b. 28 August 1939) who married Jean Henri Fruchaud. The other was Prince Jerzy (George) Andreas Dominicus Heironymus Peter Leon Radziwill (4 November 1942 – 27 August 2001). There are pics and info about Tatiana on line, but nothing about Jerzy (George.) I'm curious about him. If anyone has pics and info, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

If you search around the Alexander Palace forum there are quite a few pictures of the children. Some pictures become confusing because she also had 3 children with her second husband and prince Dominik had 3 with his second wife so whenever I see a picture of one of them with any children I can't be sure which set of children I'm looking at.

This is definitely Jerzy and Tatiana(scroll down to about the middle of the page).

Princess Eugenie of Greece

I don't know anything about Jerzy's life though.

Thanks, Ming. That's a great shot of Dom and Eugenie, too. Strange how there's so little info about Jerzy available, no?

Gryf Coat of Arms

Hello, My name is Gerard Grefkowicz and I see on wikipedia that under Gryf Coat of Arms , my last name is in the list of noble families. That is as far as I know. If anone has more information about Grefkowicz please let me know.

THANK YOU

What do you know about the new visit of Prince Inigo to Lithuania accompagnied this time by Prince Eberhard?

Back
Top Bottom