Kingdom of Finland

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Finland had its own monarchy?

Not really. There have been attempts to establish an independent Finnish monarchy, but they've never been successful. At this point there is no known Royal Finnish Family, nor anyone who claims to be a pretender to a Finnish throne.

Not really. There have been attempts to establish an independent Finnish monarchy, but they've never been successful. At this point there is no known Royal Finnish Family, nor anyone who claims to be a pretender to a Finnish throne.

I've heard that one of the Princes of the House of Hesse (I think he's called Philipp, although I'm not entirely sure) is the current pretender/claimant. There's an interview with him on the first page of this thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/electoral-and-grand-ducal-house-of-hesse-brabant-9985.html. He says that if Finland ever restores it's monarchy, he will keep his promise and become the King. A member of the House of Hesse was also the King of Finland during it's short period as a monarchy - I find this interesting. I wonder why this particular house was chosen and what their connection is to Finland.

This reminds me of Iceland, who was also a monarchy for a short while (during WWII?) due to a union with Denmark.

Last edited:
Charles I, King of Finland and Karelia, Duke of Åland, Grand Duke of Lapland, Lord of Kaleva and the North managed to stay on the throne for 63 days; from October 9th 1918 to december 14th 1918. The German Kaiser had supported Finnish independance so when the conservative Finnish senate tried to turn Finland into a monarchy Kaiser Wilhelm's brother in Law volunteered for the job. But after Germany was defeated in WWI the German support for the project failed and Finland was proclaimed the republic we know and respect today

But the people of Finland never wanted a monarchy like Norway, Denmark and Sweden?

If Finland were a monarchy which was the Royal Palace?

Actually, Finland was part of Russia once, as was Poland. The last imperial Family of Russia used to go to a hunting lodge that Nicholas's father, Alexander III had built in Poland, and they would get on the Royal yacht and cruise around the Baltic among the Finnish part of Russia and the outlying islands.

How are the monarchist movement in Finland?
Suomi monarkiaksi, naiset kutsuntoihin – kokoomuksen puoluekokousaloitteet yllättävät - Kokoomus - Politiikka - Helsingin Sanomat

Kingdom of Finland
Suomen kuningaskunta
House of Hesse
Kingdom of Finland - House of Hesse

:previous:
Thank you Hans-Richard for the replies to my comment. :flowers:

Is there any monarchist political party in Finland or a monarchist movement?

Kokoomuslaiset haluavat Suomeen monarkian – "Kuningas olisi vahva arvojohtaja" | Kotimaa | Uutiset | Ilkka

The party meetings, the so-called peruskauraa has undergone a party inside the future initiatives that seek to change the party line on.

The conservatives ' Party Conference initiatives were as high as 248 pieces, and they were processed through the weekend.

Much of the controversy caused by a change in the Finnish national anthem Finlandiaksi initiative was rejected. Instead of receiving the food shops were adopted, the initiative of champagne which caused much hilarity in the meeting there.

The conservative party, therefore, wishes to champagne in the food stores.

There were also initiatives to amend the law on alcohol, to deregulate the social and health care, and a variety of subsidies. To change the shape of the Secretaries of State of Finland. Yes. The mouth of the River, Studying the citizenry demanded that Finland shall immediately begin preparations for the transition to the current President of the Act after the period of monarchy.

In this way, the Association based its claim:

"Finland is currently valid, the President of the Republic. The powers of the President, however, has recently been cut, and it is necessary to ask, is it no longer makes sense to keep the expensive election every six years. If the head of State role in Finland is no longer just represents the value of the European action, as it should be and the monarchy in this luontevampi solution. The monarchy has been found in favor of the solution across Europe, and during his days outside of politics should be easily samaistuttava the value of the head of the monarch. The monarchy also would bring the country much-needed continuity in johtoomme a long time. "

The mouth of the River, Studying the citizenry-Association President Anne Pynttäri agreed to to open in more detail his thoughts on why the Finnish political system should change the Secretaries of State.

Pynttäri says that the King or Queen would be a strong leader of the value of the

, Finland. – The world is changing so fast that people could do with something permanent. What better help than the beloved King of the

family. Pynttäri points out that in Sweden people love

kuninkaallisiaan. -The President does not have a lot of power, he is the closest in the nation. When it comes to the role, the better is the closest representation would work the monarchy.

And the monarchy should be Pynttärin, even at a cost, if the monarchy tuotteistaisi.

– Yes, the väyrysmukejakin are sold as soon as they launch the darkest. I believe that it would finance itself. The cost of the monarchy should be financed by the Mukeilla, of course, be controlled.

Now, however, it became so successful that the initiative.

The party, the Government considered that the initiative should be rejected, because the party has already endorsed the current state of our Constitution ... is called since 1919.

The party has rejected the initiative, the Board of Governors would very likely unless the schedule because of the confusion, the whole initiative would be

. The authors of the initiative were the candidates for the Presidency of the events at the same time on Friday, when the initiative should have been dealt with. As one of the authors was not present at the time, the initiative h crashed.

And it crashed for the first time.

The monarchy-the initiative is enlivened by a party meeting, for more than 20 years.

The story is about, on the banks of the river mouth, Studying the citizenry-then Chairman of the Association during the Association has been established with the desire to export the Esa Mänttäri party back to its roots. Because of the tradition, of course, Finland should be Kingdom.

The conservative party is, in fact, at the beginning of the time supported the monarchy.

It is only about a hundred years time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Finland were a monarchy which was the Royal Palace?

The current presidential palace in Helsinki was meant to be the royal palace for the finnish King. It was also imperial palace for the russian imperial family from 1837 when the finnish senate bought it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Palace,_Helsinki

But the people of Finland never wanted a monarchy like Norway, Denmark and Sweden?

I don't think so. The finnish people seems happy to be a republic although many of them are interested in following the swedish royal family.

I may be wrong but i have never heard that there would be many monarchists in Finland.

What's the opinion of the people about the Monarchy?

Without a Royal Family living in the country it is rather difficult to have a monarchist movement.

So other than the ridiculed mention of a monarchy in Finland back in June 2014, how are things in Finland, is everybody against turning giving the supposed best country on Earth a crown or would they rather continue to have the republic no matter what happens with comedians supporting the republicans every step of the way?

-Frozen Royalist

No, Finland will continue as a republic, as has been written previously, without a Royal Family in the country, it's hard to think of a Monarchy established now. Finns are happy with their country and with their independence plus republic. I think they look upon the situation as, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Sure the Finns are interested in the Nordic Monarchies, but it doesn't necessarily mean they want one of their own, like the US, although a Monarchy in the US doesn't sound too bad right now.

What monarchist movement do you expect to be in Finland? Finland has never had a monarchy. There is no monarchy to restore. Unless you are suggesting Finland give up its independence and revert back to Sweden. The closest thing Finland has had to its own monarchy was a Grand principality but its ruler was the emperor of Russia. Its never had its own unique monarchy. And its last Grand Duke was Nicholas II so there is no living pretender.

Right before it became a republic there was a suggestion to make the great-grandfather of the current Landgrave of Hesse to be king of Finland. He turned it down though, and a republic was instead formed. I don't think the Hesses would have any chance in making any claim.

I'm not suggesting Finland give up it's independence at all really, I'm just curious about how the monarchist movements are going on in Brazil, North Africa, and the European republics that's all.

-Frozen Royalist

I'm not suggesting Finland give up it's independence at all really, I'm just curious about how the monarchist movements are going on in Brazil, North Africa, and the European republics that's all.

-Frozen Royalist

Perhaps you need to brush up then. Because suggesting Finland would want to restore a monarchy, is in fact suggesting it give up its independence. Finland has never had its own monarchy. To restore a monarchy would be to put Carl Gustav on the throne. As an independent country, Finland has always been a republic.

My apologies, I just asked about Finland because of the whole brief attempt at a debate in June 2014 and thought I'd ask about a follow up. I'm not suggesting restoration, or putting a Hesse on the throne, I'm just curious about the opinion of the Finnish people.

-Frozen Royalist

Finland had a monarchial constitution for about a year.

List of Finnish monarchs
This is a list of the monarchs of Finland until it became a republic in 1919; that is, the Kings of Sweden with Regents and Viceroys of the Kalmar Union, the Grand Dukes of Finland (identical with the Tsars of Russia), up to the two-year Regent period following the independence in 1917, with a brief flirtation with a truly domestic monarchy.

Part of the Kingdom of Sweden, from the Middle Ages until 1809
Finland as an integral part of Sweden under the King of Sweden (Ruotsin kuningas).

Some texts suggest the Swedish rule of Finland started as early as during the Houses of Sverker and Eric (Sverker I of Sweden 1130–1156 and Eric the Saint 1156–1160). But the first historic documents suggesting rule by Swedish kings in Finland not limited to sparse crusades and conquests are dated at around 1249.

The House of Bjelbo
1250–1275 : Valdemar of Sweden (Valdemar Birgerinpoika)
regent: Birger Jarl
1275–1290 : Magnus III of Sweden (Maunu Ladonlukko)
1290–1318 : Birger of Sweden (Birger Maununpoika)
1319–1364 : Magnus IV of Sweden (Maunu IV)
co-kings, successively: Eric XII of Sweden and Haakon I of Sweden, sons of Magnus IV
1363–1395 : Albert of Mecklenburg (Albrekt Mecklenburgilainen)
1385–87 in opposition: Olav IV of Norway (Olavi Haakoninpoika)

Rulers of the Kalmar Union and Regents (Valtionhoitaja, Riksföreståndare)
1389–1412 : Margaret I of Scandinavia (Margareeta), widow of King Haakon of Sweden, mother of Olav IV, and heiress of Estonia, a Danish dominion
1396–1439 : Eric of Pomerania (
1438–1440 : Carl Knutsson Bonde, Regent (Kaarle Knuutinpoika
1441–1448 : Christopher of Bavaria (Kristoffer Baijerilainen)
1448–1448 : Regents Bengt and Nils Jönsson Oxenstierna ((Pentti Jönsinpoika Häräntähti and Niilo Jönsinpoika Häräntähti))
1448–1457 : Charles VIII of Sweden (Kaarle VIII Knuutinpoika), he had been 1442–48 chatelain and margrave of Viipuri county
1457–1457 : Regents Jöns Bengtsson Oxenstierna the archbishop and Eric Axelsson Tott ((arkkipiispa Jöns Pentinpoika and herra Eerik Akselinpoika))
1457–1464 : Christian I of Sweden (Kristian I)
1464–1465 : Charles VIII of Sweden (Kaarle VIII)
1465–1465 : Regent Kettil Karlsson Vasa the bishop ((piispa Kettil Kaarlenpoika Vaasa))
1465–1466 : Regent Jöns Bengtsson Oxenstierna the archbishop
1466–1467 : Regent Eric Axelsson Tott, also 1457–81 chatelain and margrave of Viipuri county
1467–1470 : Charles VIII of Sweden (
1470–1497 : Regent Sten Sture the elder (
1497–1501 : John II of Sweden (Hans of Denmark, Juhana II, Hannu, Tanskan Hannu
1501–1503 : Regent Sten Sture the elder (Sten Sture vanhempi
1504–1511 : Regent Svante Niilonpoika (Svante Niilonpoika, Ekesiön herra
1512–1512 : Regent Eric Trolle
1512–1520 : Regent Sten Sture the younger (Sten Sture nuorempi
1520–1521 : Christian II of Sweden (Kristian II)

The House of Vasa
1521–1560 : Gustav I of Sweden (Kustaa I Vaasa)
As Gustav Vasa, regent 1521–1523
1560–1568 : Eric XIV of Sweden (Eerik XIV)
1568–1592 : John III of Sweden (Juhana III), adopted title Grand Prince of Finland (Suomen suuriruhtinas) around 1580
As Duke John of Finland acted as feudal lord of part of Finland Duke of Finland and Governor-General of the rest 1556–1563
1592–1599 : Sigismund of Sweden (Sigismund), also titled Grand Prince of Finland
1599–1611 : Charles IX of Sweden (Kaarle IX), "King of Finns"
As Duke Charles, regent 1599–1604
1611–1632 : Gustav Adolph the great (Kustaa II Aadolf), also titled Grand Prince of Finland
1632–1654 : Christina of Sweden (Kristiina), also titled Grand Princess of Finland
The House of Pfalz-Zweibrücken
1654–1660 : Charles X Gustav of Sweden (Kaarle X Kustaa
1660–1697 : Charles XI of Sweden (Kaarle XI
1697–1718 : Charles XII of Sweden (Kaarle XII), also titled Grand Prince of Finland
1719–1720 : Ulrika Eleonora of Sweden (Ulriika Eleonoora), also titled Grand Princess of Finland
The House of Hesse
1720–1751 : Frederick I of Sweden (Fredrik I), also titled Grand Prince of Finland
The House of Holstein-Gottorp
1751–1771 : Adolf Frederick of Sweden (Aadolf Fredrik), Grand Prince of Finland
1771–1792 : Gustav III of Sweden (Kustaa III), Grand Prince of Finland
1792–1796 : Charles, duke of Södermanland as Regent (Södermanlannin herttua Kaarle)
1792–1809 : Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden (Kustaa IV Aadolf), Grand Prince of Finland

Grand Principality of Finland in Russian Empire 1809–1917
The Grand Principality of Finland in the Russian Empire (1809–1917) with the Emperor of Russia as the Grand Prince of Finland (Suomen suuriruhtinas).
The House of Romanov
1809–1825 : Alexander I (Aleksanteri I)
1825–1855 : Nicholas I (Nikolai I)
1855–1881 : Alexander II (Aleksanteri II)
1881–1894 : Alexander III (Aleksanteri III
1894–1917 : Nicholas II (Nikolai II)

Interim period 1917–19
May 27, 1918 – December 12, 1918 : Pehr Evind Svinhufvud
December 12, 1918 – July 26, 1919 : Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
The House of Hesse
October 9, 1918 - December 14, 1918 : Frederik Kaarle I, King of Finland

I agree that Finland never become monarchy. Independent Finland hasn't ver been actual monarchy. And when monarchy activities failed on end of 1918 monarchism basically died immediately. Nowadays there hardly is even one percent which would actively support monarchy. Any major party too not seek such thing at least not very seriously, not even NCP (National Coalition Party) which was originally formed by monarchists.Hardly even House of Hesse, which was intended to be Finnish royal family, is intrested. Not sure have any of them even ever visited in Finland. And even if they have, there hasn't been any atteention for that. Finns wouldn't even recognise them.

So briefly why Finland never become monarchy:

_ Republicanism has really strong support (many Finns even want more power to president) and almost zero support for monarchy.
- There is not notably party or movement for that.
- Finns don't know any member of House of Hesse, at least not many. They couldn wander hours on streets of Helsinki and no one would notice them.
- - Members of intended royal family are not intrested, not live in FInland and I even doubt that any of them can even speak any word of Finnish.

Of course another candidate would be someone Bernadotte but it is too very implausible.

Other than Donatus, Prince and Landgrave of Hesse the literal pretender to the Finnish throne who’s grandfather literally ruled as King of Finland officially and legally for only 2 months.

Other than Donatus, Prince and Landgrave of Hesse the literal pretender to the Finnish throne who’s grandfather literally ruled as King of Finland officially and legally for only 2 months.
It's a bit strange to call him a pretender when neither Prince Donatus nor his father Prince Moritz has ever laid any claims to the Finnish throne.

Last edited:

Like JR76 stated there is not any point call him as "pretender" when he and his family have not any claim to Finnish crown. Curren heat of Hesse family has zero intrest for whole issue. If Finnish monarchists would ask them as Finnish royal family, they probably would refuse.

It is even doubtfgul if they can speak any Finnish or know Finland very much. And Finns even don't know them. They indeed could walk hours on center of Helsinki and no one wouldn't recognise them. With my knowledge they are living only in Germany and probably have not visited in Finland very much if ever and even then just private persons whom even yellow press is not intrested.

Back
Top Bottom