Imperial Family of Ethiopia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Visit www.royalty.nu 's message board Royal court/garden. There is Solomon Kibrie there. He seems to be the only person in the entire internet connected with Selassie's courtiers.

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
If so, what are they up to?

There are few all over the place. Crown Prince Zera Yacub, his mother, Empress Medferiash Work, wife, daugher, sisters, brother, nieces, nephews, aunt and numerous cousins (such as Ermias Salasie, who is often a part of royal events). They all do different things

here are some pictures of the Imperial Family of Ethiopia

1 emperor selassie with the greek royal family ( by ercanto.it)
2 emperor selassie with pres. Saragat of italy ( by ercanto.it)
3 to 6 emperor selassie with ther belgian king and queen (by editorial.acionline.biz)
7 de post
8 emperor with the king and queen of denmark (keystone)
9 emperor with the king and queen of denmark (polfoto)
10 emperor with the king and queen of denmark (fotomarktplatz.org)

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo by
1 emperor with the french pres.(moaanbessa.com)
2 emperor with german leader (interfoto)
3 emperor with shah (photo 12)
4 emperor with marshall tito (titoville.com)
5 emperor with the pope (ercanto.it)

Last edited:
Silver Jubilee of Emperor Haile Selassie in 1955
Photo by britishpathe

Photo by britishpathe

Photo by britishpathe(2-3) and fotomarktplatz (1)

Signing of the New Constitution 1955
Photo by britishpathe

Signing of the New Constitution 1955
Photo by britishpathe

Opening of Parliament
Photo by britishpathe

These photos are unique. I'm interested in Ethiopia last Imperial Family, but I can't find much about it. Who is the current heir of the throne if there is one? I know that Ethiopia is now a Republic, but you know...:D

Vanesa.

Vanesa, the current Head of the Imperial House is
H.I.H. Crown Prince (Alga Worrach) Zara Yacob, born. at Addis Ababa, 15th August 1953,only son and heir of H.I.M. Emperor Amha Selassie I, by his second wife, H.I.M. Empress Medferiash Worq, educated St Joseph's High Sch., Addis Ababa, and Oxford Univ. Appointed as Acting Crown Prince by his grandfather, Emperor Haile Selassie I, 14th April 1974. Confirmed by his father as Heir Apparent, with the title of Alga Worrach (Crown Prince), 6th April 1988. Succeeded his father as Head of the Imperial House of Ethiopia, 17th January 1997. married to (div.)H.I.H. Princess (Le'ult) Nunu, née Getaneh. He has issue a daughter, H.I.H. Princess (Le'ult) Lideta Zara Yacob.

source from: Royal Ark

Imperial Jubilee Palace in Addis Ababa
From webshots.com

Thank you, Weyner! You really know everything about non-European royal families. The info was very useful for me.

Vanesa

The Emperor and Empress in 1930

Empress Menen in the 1940s

Their Majesties on the way to the State Opening of Parliament during the 1955 Jubilee

The Emperor with Queen Elizabeth II during the latter's State Visit to the UK in 1958

The Ethiopian Emperor with the Japanese Emperor in Tokyo

The Emperor very shortly before being deposed

The Emperor being removed from the Jubilee Palace after being deposed by the Derg

The last known photograph of the Emperor taken during his detention

(http://www.angelfire.com/ny/ethiocrown/)

I became suddenly very sad, watching the last three photograpphies you posted...All monarchie that is overthrown is a great tragedy. And I feel particulary sad toward the fall of Haile Selassie. :sad:

Vanesa.

in the brithsh pathe pics I can see a lot of ethiopian royalty, can someone identify who is who...for example the children and sons and daughters in law of the empreror?

The Imperial Family of Ethopia had such a magnificant ancestrysurpassing other Royal Families.

Do the children have any relationship with the current or former royal families? I never see them represented at state functions. But obviously at one point, Emperor Selassie had a relationship with other royals.

Ethiopian Royals

Hello, All-

Is there any information on the Ethiopian royals?
I read they were at Austrian royal wedding, but there were no photos.
Any links or photos would be appreciated.

Hello, All-

Is there any information on the Ethiopian royals?
I read they were at Austrian royal wedding, but there were no photos.
Any links or photos would be appreciated.

Benjamin has provided a link on a website dealing with the Ethiopian Imperial Family in a previous post, here it is again IMPERIAL ETHIOPIA HOME PAGE), i have read it and it is really interesting. I read that the Rastafari faith believes that Emperor Haile Selassie is "the black messiah" following a prophecy, though the Imperial family has never associated themselves with this belief. This is evident in Bob Marley's concerts in which he intro's saying "Greetings to his Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie, Jah RasTafari, King of Kings and Conquering Lion of Judah, aireh, aireh".....the faith owes its name to the title that Haile Selassie had before he became Emperor, Ras Tafari, translation Prince Tafari. The Imperial family claims descendency from the child of the biblical King Solomon of Israel and Queen Makeda of Sheba (modern day Ethiopia). :D:D:D

Prince Ermias Sahle-Selassie - the grandson of Haile Selassie (Emperor of Ethiopia from 1930 to 1974 when he was deposed) - was recently in Portugal for a week’s visit, during which he participated in the celebrations marking the 600th anniversary of the Royal House of Bragança.

For more details and photos, please see this thread:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/793159-post51.html

13.3 Empress Medferiaswork of Ethiopia died at Addis Abeba, Ethiopia, aged 84

courtesy Netty royalty Page.

997Letter.jpg
The letter above was made public today by the Ethiopian Reporter just ahead of the anniversary of the massacre of "the 60" on November 23, 1974. The letter is from the then "First Vice Chairman Mengistu Haile Mariam" of the Derg and is addressed to the "Campaign and Security Command" of the Derg, it is marked as "Very Urgent" and the subject is "Action required on the Political Decision in regard to the Officials of the Former Imperial Government". As a piece of historic documentation it is a stunning piece of evidence. Mengistu writes that since the Derg "demolished feudalism and swept away the crown" it has been closely studying the case of the former officials of the government of Haile Selassie I. It has now reached a decision on the fate of those officials who for over 40 years have been "oppressing and looting" the wide masses of the Ethiopian people. He states that following a meeting of it's full membership, the Derg has unnanimously decided that "Revolutionary action" should be taken on the 54 former civilian and military officials listed on the following page. It was therefore hereby ordered that

1) Lt. General Aman Andom (the then chairman of the Derg who had refused to sanction the executions and other Derg decisions engineered by Mengistu) should be immediately arrested at his home and made to join the prisoners.

2) That a bulldozer be taken to the central "Kerchele" prison and made to dig a pit and at exactly 8 pm the former civilian and military leaders numbered 1 to 54 on the attached list are to be separated from the other prisoners.

3) That at exactly 2 am in the morning, the 54 named prisoners are to be loaded onto military vehicles and taken to "Kerchele", and put to death together "by bullets".

The letter is signed by First Vice Chairman Colonel Mengistu Haile Mariam, and is on the letter head of the derg (then bearing the Lion of Judah stripped of it's crown and cross which briefly served as it's symbol until it was scrapped in favor of more communistic symbols).

The letter exposes as lies the various attempts by members of the Derg and Mengistu himself to blame a larger group known as the "neus derg" of rank and file soldiers of being to blame for this decision. Lt. General Aman Andom who had served briefly as interim head of state following the deposing of the Emperor had refused to sanction the executions without trial and refused to authorize a new offensive in his native Eritrea which was the reason for the order for his arrest. When the army came to seize him, he and 6 followers encamped at his house engaged in a blazing battle with them and were all killed (as a boy I lived a short distance from his home and remember the sounds of battle quite vividly). Their bodies ended up in the bulldozer pit at Kerchele along with the 54 officials who included several heroes of the Italian occupation, noblemen, educated and experienced officials of the government and the Imperial court. The full list of the executed follows in the next post.

The list of ex-officials of the Imperial government that were brutally murdered in the early hours of November 23, 1974 without trial. Titles are in italics-
Prime Minister Tsehafi Taezaz Aklilu Haptewold
Prime Minister Lij Endalkatchew Makonnen
Lt. General Abiye Abebe
H.H. Prince (Leul Ras) Asrate Kassa
Prince Rear Admiral Iskinder Desta
Ras Mesfin Sileshi
Ato Abebe Retta
Ato Akale Work Haptewold
Lt. Colonel Tamirat Yigezu
Dejazmatch Kifle Irgetu
Lt. General Kebede Gebre
Lt. General Issayas Gebre Igziabiher
Lt. General Asefa Ayana
Ato Mulatu Debebe
Dr. Tesfaye Gebre Igzi
Dejazmatch Workineh Wolde Amanuel
Lt. General Debebe Haile Mariam
Brigadier General Deresse Dubale
Lt. General Asefa Demisse
Dejazmatch Aemero Selassie Abebe
Dejazmatch Solomon Abreha
Dejazmatch Sahelu Difeye
Dejazmatch Worku Inqu Selassie
Dejazmatch Legese Bezu
Colonel Solomon Kedir
Blata Admasu Retta
Ato Nebiye Leul Kifle
Ato Solomon Gebre Mariam
Ato Tegegn Yetashework
Afe Nigus (Lord Chief Justice) Abeje Debalke
Lt. General Haile Baikedagn
Lt. General Abebe Gemeda
Lt. General Yilma Shibeshi
Lt. General Belete Abebe
Dejazmatch Kebede Ali Wele
Major General Gashaw Kebede
Major General Seyoum Gedle Giorgis
Major General Tafesse Lemma
Lij Hailu Desta
Fitawrari Amde Abera
Fitawrari Tadesse Inqu Selassie
Fitawrari Demisse Alamirew
Kegnyazmatch Yilma Aboye
Brigadier General Wendimu Abebe
Brigadier General Girma Yohannes
Brigadier General Mulugeta Wolde Yohannes
Colonel Yigezu Yimene
Colonel Alem Zewd Tessema
Colonel Tassew Mojo
Major Berhane Mecha

On this same day, the following men died fighting the Derg over the Derg Chairman Lt. General Aman Andom's refusal to sanction the execution of the Imperial officials

Lt. General Aman Mikael Andom
Leutenant
Belai Tsegaye
Leutenant Demisse Shiferaw Goshiye
Lance Corporal Bekele Wolde Giorgis
Sub-Corporal Tekle Haile
Lance Corporal Tesfaye Tekle
Junior Aircraftsman Yohannes Fitiwi

These are known today in Ethiopia as "Silsawochu" or "The Sixty". Their deaths marked the beginning of the Derg's reign of terror.

Back
Top Bottom