Cypriot Claim to Armenian Throne

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qutus123

Commoner
City
Amersham
Country
United Kingdom
So after the death of Levon VI (V) of Armenia, the title of “King of Armenia” passed onto the James I of Cyprus.

How was James I of Cyprus related to the previous monarchs of Armenia? I heard he was the “2nd cousin” of the previous King buT how exactly were they related.

Levon VI and James I were 2nd cousins, both decending from King Hugh III.

King Hugh III of Cyprus -> Amaury , Prince and regent of Cyprus, Lord of Tyre -> Jean, counstable of Armenia -> King Levon VI.

Hugh III of Cyprus -> Guy, counstable of Cyprus -> King Hugh IV -> King James I of Cyprus

So James I was not descended from any previous Armenian monarchs?

Also interesting is how King Levon VI remains came to rest at the Couvent des Célestins in Paris.

His tomb survived the French revolution unlike the unfortunate church.

359px-LeonVCouventDesCelestins.jpg

So James I was not descended from any previous Armenian monarchs?

He had both Roupenide and Hethoumide blood via his Ibelin and Gibelet ancestors. No verifiable connection to the more ancient royalty of the Armenian heartland.

Last edited:
He had both Roupenide and Hethoumide blood via his Ibelin and Gibelet ancestors. No verifiable connection to the more ancient royalty of the Armenian heartland.

whats one of his direct ancestors that was from one of those houses?

whats one of his direct ancestors that was from one of those houses?

Dolète (Roupenide princess), daughter of Rita (a Hethoumide princess). Dolète's father was Stephané of Armenia and her brothers were Roupen III and Levon I. She married Bertrand I (Embriaco) Lord of Gibelet. Their descendant Alice Ibelin was the mother of King Jacques de Lusignan / James of Cyprus.

Source used: Genealogics.org

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom