Swedish State Visit to Portugal: May 5-7, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice to see HM the Queen wih the ruby tiara of Edward VII, this must be the second time or so she wears it as a tiara, I believe. I must say the tiara actually suits her and I do hope she will wear it more often.
Does anybody know more about the brooch and earrings btw?

And a thanks to those who keep us updated!

Nice to see back some things I acually saw irl this winter. Did the King and Queen actually stay in the capital the whole time? Did anybody hear The Queen speak Portuguese btw (on television maybe?) I suppose she has a strong Brazilian accent? Esp. the red outfit looks very good on her IMO, and the worst damages of the plastic surgery seem to have faded.

Edit: I see that today they will visit Evora, where Diane de Cadaval will get married soon. A beautiful city btw!

Last edited:
Nice to see HM the Queen wih the ruby tiara of Edward VII, this must be the second time or so she wears it as a tiara, I believe. I must say the tiara actually suits her and I do hope she will wear it more often.
Does anybody know more about the brooch and earrings btw?

And a thanks to those who keep us updated!

Nice to see back some things I acually saw irl this winter. Did the King and Queen actually stay in the capital the whole time? Did anybody hear The Queen speak Portuguese btw (on television maybe?) I suppose she has a strong Brazilian accent? Esp. the red outfit looks very good on her IMO, and the worst damages of the plastic surgery seem to have faded.

Edit: I see that today they will visit Evora, where Diane de Cadaval will get married soon. A beautiful city btw!

The King and the Queen are staying at the Pestana Palace Hotel while in Lisbon, today tey are going to Evora. The queen spoke portuguese in a interview to the portuguese press, days before their magesties' visit, and yes the Queen speaks portuguese with a brazilian acent.

Ah priceless. My former Portuguese mother-in-law was rather cruel about the Brazilian accent, so to imagine the Queen of Sweden with that is rather funny (to me, that is).

Anyway, does anybody know what orders the King and Queen got? The one the king is wearing resembles the Belgian one.

Anyway, does anybody know what orders the King and Queen got?
See this post. ;)

They're having lunch at her palace, actually. Part of the Cadaval Palace may be rented for events and I belive that's what the mayor of Évora did.

Here is the official photo gallery from Monday's visit to the Coach Museum:

ACTUALIDADE: GERAL - Maria Cavaco Silva - Página Oficial da Presidência da República Portuguesa=

Last edited:
The order that King Carl XVI Gustaf is wearing that resembles the Belgian Order of Leopold is the Order of Saint James of the Sword.

Photos from today, in Évora:

Sweden Kings official visit

Reis da Suécia recebidos por dezenas de crianças e escuteiros em Évora - RTP Notícias

On the last day of their official visit to Portugal, the Swedish monarchs dedicated the morning to visit the historic downtown of Évora and a factory of photo-electric cells, reserving the afternoon for ao boat ride to the Alqueva lake.

As the honorary president of the World Scout Movement, King Carl Gustav was received at the Évora cathedral by dozens of scouts, who sang the hymn of the National Corporation of Scouts (CNE). After visiting the cathedral, the King and the Queen talked a bit with some of the youngsters, who presented the royal couple with a scout ring, made in cork oak.

During the reception in the City Hall, King Carl Gustav was presented with a traditional tapestry of Arraiolos and an umbrella made in cork oak. Then the King expressed his "contentment" for visiting "the pretty city" of Évora, for the first time.

After the welcome ceremony, the Swedish monarchs were still able to visit the Roman Temple (listed by UNESCO as World Heritage), the Convent of Lóios and the Palace of the Dukes of Cadaval.

At the main square, the king and queen were greeted by dozens of people, including many children and a group of singers, wearing the traditional costumes of Alentejo.

After the lunch (served at the Cadacal Palace, where tipical gastronomy was presented to them), the Swedish monarchs headed to the medieval village of Monsaraz, where they're going to embark on a boat ride to the Alqueva lake, where they are going to visit the barrage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was happy to see that it was full gala on both dinners. And it was great that the queen choose to wear the ruby tiara, i liked how it looked this time, and i think that if she wears it from time to time the press will not take notice and print the story about the "conflict tiara"...

From the visit to the medieval village of Monsaraz and to the Alqueva lake:

Swedish royals visit the medieval village of Monsaraz
Swedish royals visit the medieval village of Monsaraz

Swedish royals on Alqueva lake

Reis da Suécia visitam vila medieval de Monsaraz e passeiam de barco em Alqueva - RTP Notícias

In the village of Monsaraz, located on the river bank of Guadiana, the Swedish monarchs strolled by the medieval roads and visited the Church of Our Lady of the Lagoon (Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Lagoa). After being presented by the mayor of Reguengos de Monsaraz with a traditional pottery piece from S. Pedro do Corval (one of the main traditional crafters in Portugal) and a bottle of Esporão red wine from 2003, the King and Queen headed to the marine of Amieira, where they embarked on a boat ride, up to the Alqueva lake (the largest man-made lake in Europe), where they were able to visit the dam.

A video from today:

Reis da Suécia na Albufeira de Alqueva - RTP Notícias

And a retrospective gallery of these 3 days:
IOL Portugal Diário - fotos e vÃ*deos: Visita Oficial dos Reis da Suécia a Portugal

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I missed it, but did anybody see a picture of the Duke and Duchess of Braganca attending the return dinner?

Thanks to all for information and link during the state visit!

No information and pics of visit barrage of Alqueva and departure ceremony at military base of Beja?

Perhaps I missed it, but did anybody see a picture of the Duke and Duchess of Braganca attending the return dinner?
There's a couple of photos, but I suppose we're not alowed to post them at TRF...

D.ª Isabel was wearing the same blue dress she took to the silver wedding in Luxembourg. There's a tiny version of one of those photos at Sofia's blog.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link Elsa. The duchess looks good as far as I can see, and she seems to be wearing a tiara and the hairstyle looks nice too! Good that TM's invited the couple btw, royalty has to stick together, esp. since it is an endangered species these days.

A pity the Queen didn't wear the Braganca tiara in Portugal, considering its background.

Last edited:
The Duchess is very pretty in this picture. Good dress!
I like somuch when she dresses elegant things. Most of the times, the Duchess prefers an informal or too casual style. I like to see her sophisticated.

Thanks Elsa! I had given up on seeing a picture of the Duchess, but I am glad you found one. She seems to be wearing some impressive aquamarines, can' t recall that I saw them before!

There's a couple of photos, but I suppose we're not alowed to post them at TRF...

D.ª Isabel was wearing the same blue dress she took to the silver wedding in Luxembourg. There's a tiny version of one of those photos at Sofia's blog.

Here is a picture of the Couple on the Swedish State visit to Portugal.

(Caras magazine, scanned by me)

Thanks for that Regina, it is much clearer than the other things we got to see. Any ideas about the tiara? I can't recall D.Isabel ever wearing it before.
And do you know what orders she and D.Duarte are wearing? The colour seems simular to the Swedish ones though I doubt it is the Seraphim.

Thanks for that Regina, it is much clearer than the other things we got to see. Any ideas about the tiara? I can't recall D.Isabel ever wearing it before.
And do you know what orders she and D.Duarte are wearing? The colour seems simular to the Swedish ones though I doubt it is the Seraphim.

It's all very difficult to see. I tried to find on a portuguese forum larger pictures of the Dukes of Bragança but the pictures already posted here are the only ones available. I would love to see Dª Isabel's jewels better.

About the Orders, I know the Presidente Cavaco Silva and his wife received the Orders of Seraphim and the Polar Star from the Swedish King. I have no idea what orders the Dukes of Braganza are wearing.

Perhaps it is one of the orders of the Duke himself? The Order of the Immaculate Conception of Vila Viçosa or the The Royal Order of Saint Michael of the Wing ?

Anyway, I will start a thread about the orders in the Portuguese forum.

Last edited:
This comes a bit late, but here's an article about the painting offered by the Prime Minister, José Sócrates:
DN Online: O QUADRO DADO À COROA SUECA

A portrait of Empress Amélie de Beauharnais (second wife of King D. Pedro IV of Portugal / Emperor Pedro I of Brazil), entitled The Imperial Rose of an Order, was offered by José Sócrates to the King and Queen of Sweden.

The choice of this picture has some explanations: the painting reproduces a portrait that is hanged on the walls of the Palace of Queluz and Empress Amélie (who was so beautiful that D. Pedro created the Imperial Order of the Rose, to honour her beauty) was the eldest sister of Queen Josefina of Sweden and Norway. Moreover, Queen Silvia's Brazilian mother descends from Portuguese explorers and she had lived in São Paulo, between the age of 4 and 14.

The painting that was offered to the Swedish Crown is a characteristic work by João Figueiredo, a 37 year-old Portuguese painter, who dedicates himself to recreate classic portraits, by applying modern techniques.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for this additional information, Elsa!
Now this is indeed a very thoughtful present on the occasion of a state visit, taking into account the Royal couple's family history on both sides.
It's a pity that the article doesnt show the painting of Empress Amélie itself, I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom