Swedish State Visit to Canada: October 24-28, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrhcp

Royal Highness
Country
Canada
I just received an email communication from the Prime Minister's office that "King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden will make a State visit to Canada from October 24 to October 28, 2006" at the invitation of our Governor General.

Look forward to oodles of pictures and contributions from RF members in the "Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Quebec City" areas. :flowers:

That is me, yeah yeah yeah (this is more exciting then the baby news), so awesome that is going to be one of my last weekends in Ottawa whoppppieeee :flowers:

that is good news.
I look forward to the visit as well.
Are they only visiting Quebec and Ontario though? Not that I expect them to cover the entire country in four days.
I just hope the local media pays attention to this visit.

Good news indeed! :flowers:

On an invitation from the Governor General of Canada, The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, the King and Queen of Sweden will make a State Visit to Canada lasting from 24-28 October.

In Canada, they will visit Ottawa, Montral, Toronto and Quebec City. Additionally, they will also meet the Governor General and the Lieutenant Governors of Ontario and Quebec. Included in the programme for the King and Queen are visits to various cultural, sports and environmental sites in the cities, as well as opportunities to meet with Canadians and Swedes living in Canda.

This is the second State visit to Canada for King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, their last visit was in 1981 when they were hosted by Governor General Edward Schreyer and wife.

Prime Minister's Press Release
Article

Humera, love your avatar!
I can't wait to see what new adventures the King and Queen will have while in Canada. I also really want to see what outfits Silvia will wear, do you think there will be a gala? Can't wait!:flowers:

lovely!!!!

but....how come they're not coming to Vancouver? only to the East side?

WOO HOO!! Definately excited about this! Can't wait to see the itinerary!

bigheadshirmp said:
....how come they're not coming to Vancouver? only to the East side?
I think the answer to that - having lived back there, as well as returning to 'God's Country - it has to do with the "Back East" always 'pounding their drum'.

Fortunately, we insignificant others - out here in western Canada - are totally unassuming and hence unnoticed. ;)
(Personally, I'd like to leave it that way .... keep the best kept secrets as best kept secrets.)

[ps ... just wait when they twig to the fact that "the place to be" is Alberta and surrounds - - - oil - - - but, can't have the east feel left out, can we?
300 years of oil supply out of the oil sands, boodles and boodles of natural gas - tapped and untapped, coal, coalbed methane gas ...]

I think this visit is about an affirmation of technology and culture. Technology is wood products and wood harvesting equipment, and there is more than that in Quebec than (the beer) out here, and Sweden is very strong in that. Two, Sweden still has a healthy aviation manufacturing industry, so CG might just be going to do an unofficial look-see of Bombardier, Pratt & Whitney and CAE in Montreal. I do recall reading that Bombardier had a connection with a technical party in Stockholm or there-abouts for adapting their water-bombers for the European market.

Than there is the matter of culture .... Quebec being the isolated pocket of a very significant French culture versus Sweden being the isolated pocket of a very significant Swedish culture.

The official press release from the Royal Court today gives info on some of the events on the programme:

* Opening of a silver exhibition in Ottawa
* Visits to companies in Montreal
* Round table talks about violence against women in Toronto
* Environmental conference in Toronto
* International author festival with a Swedish children's books focus in Toronto
* Meeting on arctic research in Québec City

The last state visit of the Royal Couple to Canada was in March 1987, not in 1981.
Back then there was a full gala event, with Queen Silvia wearing the Baden fringe diamond tiara. The schedule seems to be quite hectic this time as well as including more important issues than glitter, but I still hope to see some of that too...

I agree with Boris, the world could defintely use a little more glitter right about now, and they are the perfect royal pair to do it.

Boris said:
The last state visit of the Royal Couple to Canada was in March 1987, not in 1981.
Are you sure? I wasn't even born back then, but on the Royal Court's website it says that the last State Visit to Canada was 18-20 May 1981, so I trusted they were right...

Despite the fact I don't live in Canada, I'm really excited about this trip. Not only will we (hopefully) get to see great photos, as others have said, they are dealing with important issues on their trip. I think it's wonderful that no matter what country a Royal family is from, and no matter which country they visit, there are always links and with the visit those links are strengthened. The world somehow becomes smaller.

Danielle said:
Despite the fact I don't live in Canada, I'm really excited about this trip. Not only will we (hopefully) get to see great photos, as others have said, they are dealing with important issues on their trip. I think it's wonderful that no matter what country a Royal family is from, and no matter which country they visit, there are always links and with the visit those links are strengthened. The world somehow becomes smaller.

I second that emotion. I can't wait to see how the queen will wow her fans with her attire. Can't wait to see all of the forthcoming pics. Maybe I'll even be able to catch a glimpse of them on the news. More than likely.....no.:sad:

Does anyone know if there is going to be engagements in «downtown» Montreal as I would like to get a glimpse of them. Does anyone know when the details will be announced

sirmax said:
Does anyone know if there is going to be engagements in «downtown» Montreal as I would like to get a glimpse of them. Does anyone know when the details will be announced
In this new security world we live in, I would think it - the itinerary of engagements - would be revealed on the day of occurrence.

Or you could check with the Swedish Embassy in Ottawa and/or Lieutenant Governor of Quebec webpages from time to time, between now and then.

I trust the webpage links that I have assembled, as below, might assist you in your endeavours -

Governor General:
http://www.gg.ca/

Lieutenant Governors:
Quebec - http://www.lieutenant-gouverneur.qc.ca/
Ontario - http://www.lt.gov.on.ca/

Swedish Embassy & Consulates:
Embassy -
http://www.swedenabroad.com/pages/start____8167.asp
Consulates -
http://www.swedenabroad.com/pages/consulates____8324.asp

Swedish Canadian Chamber of Commerce
http://www.sccc.ca/main.html

Swedish Club of Montreal:
http://www.svenskaklubben.ca/

Canadian Nordic Society
:
http://www.canadiannordicsociety.com/

bigheadshirmp said:
lovely!!!!

but....how come they're not coming to Vancouver? only to the East side?

Maybe because the country is LARGE :rolleyes: , the 2nd largest in the world ,and that they cannot do everything in a few days long trip. Queen Elizabeth herself when she visits see a parcel of the country each time and she has longer stays. and she never ever visits us in Quebec (but we won't get into that :bang: ).

sirmax said:

Quebec City is only a few hours away by car, bus or train...

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked again, and the last state visit to Canada was definitely from March 14 to March 19 in 1987, not 1981. Though the Royal website has definitely improved, there's still much left to be desired...
For those mainly interested in the 'bling factor': In 1987, there were two galas, one tiara event, the other one without.
On the first occasion, the Queen wore the Baden fringe tiara plus diamond collet necklace & earrings with a white dress embroidered with pearls in the rather 'big' style she preferred back then, probably designed by Jörg Bender but never worn to the Nobel ceremony.
On the second occasion, she wore the dark blue velvet dress that was seen at the Nobel in 1990 but without the lace collar. Her necklace was the pearl, sapphire and diamond one mostly worn by CP Victoria these days.

Pictures of Last Canadian Visit

Does anybody have the pictures of their last Canadian Visit? thanks

The last state visit to Canada was in year 1988 and not 1987!

Boris said:
I checked again, and the last state visit to Canada was definitely from March 14 to March 19 in 1987, not 1981.

ursulajohanna said:
The last state visit to Canada was in year 1988 and not 1987!
Yes ... that is quite correct.

I just looked at www.royalcourt.se, at
http://www.royalcourt.se/themonarch...ts/19801989.4.19fe5e61065eb9aeea80009099.html

... and it shows that from March 14 to 19, 1988 the Royal Couple came to Canada to be feted by the then Governor General Jeanne Sauvé.

And from May 18 to 20, 1981, the then Governor General Edward Schreyer (who came as an infant immigrant to Canada, and was also Premier of Manitoba) went to Sweden with his wife to be feted by the Royal Couple in Stockholm.

Trust "all" is clear now.

And here is the "canadian link" for state visits:
http://www.gg.ca/gg/rr/sv/index_e.asp

rosalyn said:
Does anybody have the pictures of their last Canadian Visit? thanks
For this upcoming state visit, I will hope for your sake, that the Governor General finds it worthy enough to post pictures, at
http://www.gg.ca/media/pho/index_e.asp
I checked the archives and it only goes back to 1999. (Hope years further back get scanned in, at some point in time.)

Princess BellyFlop said:
Quebec City is only a few hours away by car, bus or train...

I am not going to go down to Quebec City to see them if they are going to be in Montreal. My question was to know what they were going to visit in Montreal.

By the way does anyone know when the Official State Visit program will be announced

GrandDuchess said:
The official press release today gives info on some of the events on the programme:

* Opening of a silver exhibition in Ottawa
* Visits to ....
Expanding on Grand Duchess' contribution, I found the following on the "Royal Court" webpage:

"Their Majesties King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia will be [here, in Canada] on 24-27 October 2006 ...

[visiting] Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Quebec City. The King and Queen will meet the Prime Minister and ... the provincial governments of Ontario and Quebec.

The Swedish government will be represented on the visit.
A delegation of Swedish business representatives will also be visiting Canada at the same time.

The programme also includes:
- the opening of a silver exhibition in Ottawa.
- company visits in Montreal.
- round table discussions on violence against women.
- an environmental conference with Swedish participation in Toronto.
- International Festival of Authors, IFOA, with a special focus on Swedish children's literature, Toronto.
- a Polar research meeting in Quebec City."

I checked the links I had posted earlier, to find an update of the itinerary, and was unsuccessful. (Hope others here have better success than me.)

Last edited:
I have recieved an e-mail saying that Governor General Michaëlle Jean will be welcoming Thier Majesties The King and Queen of Sweden on 24 October. Here is the program:

10:30 a.m. – Official welcoming ceremony
Due to rehabilitation work currently being done on the front façade of Rideau Hall, the official arrival ceremony, with military honours, will be held outside in the main garden of Rideau Hall (located behind the residence). The Governor General will offer welcoming remarks to which the King will reply. Inclement weather: The ceremony will be held in the Tent Room at Rideau Hall.

11 a.m. – Tête-à-tête between Their Majesties and Their Excellencies

11:30 a.m. – Tree-planting ceremony
Their Majesties will plant a tree on the grounds of Rideau Hall in commemoration of their visit to Canada. The tree is an eastern white pine that will be planted near the front entrance of Rideau Hall.
7:30 p.m. – Official Photo of Their Majesties and Their Excellencies

7:45 p.m. – State dinner
The Governor General and Mr. Lafond will host a State dinner in the Ballroom at Rideau Hall in honour of Their Majesties.

www.gg.ca

I haven't found any information on The King and Queen's visit to Quebec, Montreal and Toronto.

Well hopefully the weather clears up a bit, it is snowing at the moment.

Does anyone know if the public will be able to go to Rideau Hall ? I was hoping that they would go to the war memorial since it is usually the best place to see foreign vistors, but I guess there isn't really a point.

ETA: For Toronto they are going to the Hockey Hall of Fame, I don't know anymore details but it was on the front page of the Ottawa Citizen

Last edited:
Oppie said:
Well hopefully the weather clears up a bit, it is snowing at the moment.

Does anyone know if the public will be able to go to Rideau Hall ? I was hoping that they would go to the war memorial since it is usually the best place to see foreign vistors, but I guess there isn't really a point.

ETA: For Toronto they are going to the Hockey Hall of Fame, I don't know anymore details but it was on the front page of the Ottawa Citizen
It was nice to see a large colour picture of the King & Queen on the front of the Ottawa Citizen today. But unfortunately the article was rather vague about their complete intinerary while in Ottawa.

I did hear that, besides visiting Rideau Hall & the National Gallery, they will be at the Library and Archives Canada Gatineau Preservation Centre tomorrow afternoon.

Early Visit 1988

Does anybody have pictures of their early visit to Canada in 1988?? thanks

bweir said:
I hope this doesn't violate the rules of the Royal Forums, but I shared some of my (lousy) photos of today's events at the Glittering Royal Events board. I spent the bulk of the day racing between my university in Ottawa South and Downtown hoping to catch a glimpse of Their Majesties...this is what I had to show for it. LOL

http://members3.boardhost.com/Oranjes/msg/1161727971.html

and

http://members3.boardhost.com/Oranjes/msg/1161728600.html

Bweir.

Never lousy :flowers: I think its very kind of you to post them and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Back
Top Bottom