Swedish State Visit to Botswana: March 22-25, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
On the invitation of the President of Botswana, Ian Khama, Their Majesties the King and Queen will pay a state visit to Botswana between March 22nd and 25th, 2011.

sweden46.gif
botswana.gif

Press Release

Queen Silvia is ill and can´t join the king to the State Visit to Botswana. Late yesterday the queen had to go to a doctor in France. Bertil Ternert from the swedish court confirms that the king will travel alone to Botswana. The doctors have said that the trip would be too heavy for the Queen now. Ternert says that queen Silvia has a powerful flu.
Drottning Siliva akut sjuk - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate

Drottningens deltagande i statsbesöket till Botswana är inställt - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
I do wish the Queen a speedy recovery. An influenza can be quite dreadful and it seems to feel worse the older you get. :sad: Does anyone know if HM is going to stay in France until she recovers from it? I would think they would not allow her to head back home until she is better. When you've got the flu, even a short walk is too much.

Last edited:

Pity! Without Queen Silvia the state visit will definitely be less colourful and maybe
even less noticed...

Here are the first arrival pics:

King Carl Gustaf together with the President of Botswana Ian Khama during the
welcome ceremony at the airport in Gaborne, March 22, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** royalcourt.se: Statsbesök i Botswana inlett **

Last edited:
Queen Silvia is ill and can´t join the king to the State Visit to Botswana. Late yesterday the queen had to go to a doctor in France. Bertil Ternert from the swedish court confirms that the king will travel alone to Botswana. The doctors have said that the trip would be too heavy for the Queen now. Ternert says that queen Silvia has a powerful flu.
Drottning Siliva akut sjuk - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate

Drottningens deltagande i statsbesöket till Botswana är inställt - Sveriges Kungahus

This is the first time in all these years that HM opts out.

This is the first time in all these years that HM opts out.
Actually, no.
Queen Silvia also 'opted out' (or rather: was unable to attend due to illness) of a state visit to Poland in 1993, had to miss the last day of a state visit from Germany in 1988, and could not attend the Nobel Prize in 1980.
Regardless a remarkable record, considering that this is a complete list of major events she had to cancel in 35 years.

State visit - day 2, March 23:

King Carl Gustaf visited the Diamond Trading Centre in Gaborone, the Southern
African Development Community, an organization that promotes economic
growth in the area and had lunch with special representatives.

** royalcourt.se Statsbesök i Botswana - dag två **

State visit - day 3, March 24:

King Carl Gustaf arrived at Kasane airport in northern Botswana and made
a safari tour on the Chobe river.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Resumé: Expressen mörkar kungens markering mot Johan T Lindwall

Johan T Lindwall from Expressen was one of the Swedish journalists in the trip to Botswana. Queen Silvia was forced to cancel because of flu, according to the court.
Resume.se sources reveal that Lindwall asked from the king several times how Silvia felt even though the king only wanted to talk about the state visit.
The King got fed up and answered Lindvall: Well, just for you I will tell you that she (Silvia) is so sick that doctors have to cut the ears of her.
Bertil Ternert, CIO at the Royal Court, said that it was a strong irony from the king's side. There was a press conference on state visit and the king wanted to answer only questions about the visit.

Resumé: Expressen mörkar kungens markering mot Johan T Lindwall

Johan T Lindwall from Expressen was one of the Swedish journalists in the trip to Botswana. Queen Silvia was forced to cancel because of flu, according to the court.
Resume.se sources reveal that Lindwall asked from the king several times how Silvia felt even though the king only wanted to talk about the state visit.
The King got fed up and answered Lindvall: Well, just for you I will tell you that she (Silvia) is so sick that doctors have to cut the ears of her.
Bertil Ternert, CIO at the Royal Court, said that it was a strong irony from the king's side. There was a press conference on state visit and the king wanted to answer only questions about the visit.
Lindwall must be one of the most obnoxious journalists and I do not understand why Expressen sends him on these trips.

When you go to the Resumearticle. Look at the SVT version. You will see the reaction of the kings staff

Back
Top Bottom