Suggestions for King Carl Gustaf's 70th birthday celebrations: April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
This thread can be used to discuss potential celebrations for HMs 70th birthday next year

I hope its a big royal turn out like in Denmark and Norway.

I guess that on Friday 29:th April we will see a black tie evening with just the swedish royal family, Sommerlath Family, Westling Family, Hellqvist Family, O'Neill Family, parliament and government.

Saturday 30:th April we will see a white tie evening with royals, presidents, ambassadors, politicians etc.

On Sunday 1:st May i guess there will be a service of thanksgiving in the Royal Palace Church and a following farewell lunch at the Palace.

Based on how the 50:th and 60:th birthday celebrations have been, This is how i guess it will be. But ofcourse it can be smaller or bigger.

I'm sure that the danish and norwegian royal families will attend (minus Prince Henrik) as well as the Finnish and Icelandic Presidential Couples. Would be nice to see the other european heads of state too.
Maybe Albert and Charlene will attend as Albert are close to the swedish royals. I also expect the titular Greek royal family to attend as well as the titular german ducal families of Sachsen-Coburg, Gotha and Bavaria.

I am sure it will be an interesting weekend anyway.

If Silvia wears the braganza tiara, that would open up a small chance of seeing Victoria in the Cameo tiara or Nine prong tiara. But to be realistic i expect her to wear one of "her main tiaras".

I guess Margrethe, Mary, Benedikte and Anne-Marie will all wear former "Bernadotte tiaras. I'd say Margrethe in the Baden Palmette Tiara, Mary in the Ruby Tiara, Benedikte in the Star and Pearl Tiara and Anne-Marie in the Khedive Tiara. Don't think Joachim and Marie will attend.

For the same reason i guess Sonja will wear the emerald parure or Queen Josephines Diamond tiara. I would love if Mette-Marit could borrow the Vasa tiara from Princess Astrid. Would love to see Astrid herself there too, wearing her famous "Antennas" ;)

I have been thinking of the celebrations for the King's Birthday as well (for a long time).

April 29th
I think we'll see a similar dinner like we did for the 60th Birthday. A private Black tie (without tiaras) dinner at Drottningholm for Royals and family and friends.

April 30th
I think it will pretty much be as the last round Birthday, with just some smaller changes.
- Service of Thanksgiving, Te Deum, in the Palace Church in the morning
- Changing of the Guard of Honour and the celebrations we usually see for the Birthday of the King, and kids are allowed to leave flowers and drawings.
- Celebrations at Lejonbacken/Norrbro for the public.
- Cortege through the city.
- Luncheon at the Nordic Musuem or the City Hall, with all VIP's attending.
- A concert or performance at the Royal Opera or the Royal Dramatic Theatre (as we saw back for his 50th birthday) just before the following dinner.
- Gala dinner (with tiaras) in Rikssalen followed by a ball in Vita Havet.

I also think we'll see quite a lot of foreign Royals attend, as it has been for the previous round birthdays. A lot of Ex-King's and Queens will attend as well as Princess Beatrix and Queen Sofia.

Given that King's Day in the Netherlands is on a Saturday, I think we'll only see the Dutch royals on Saturday night. In 2006, Queen's Day was on the 29th and then they went to Sweden that night for the weekend. I would be surprised if we see any of the Dutch royals on the 29th this year (perhaps maybe just Beatrix).

Given that King's Day in the Netherlands is on a Saturday, I think we'll only see the Dutch royals on Saturday night. In 2006, Queen's Day was on the 29th and then they went to Sweden that night for the weekend. I would be surprised if we see any of the Dutch royals on the 29th this year (perhaps maybe just Beatrix).

You have forgot that Kings Day is now on the 27th not on the 30th anymore. Therefore it will be on a Thursday this year.

You have forgot that Kings Day is now on the 27th not on the 30th anymore. Therefore it will be on a Thursday this year.

Yes I have. Thank you for reminding me!

In that case, I would expect most of the Dutch Royals to attend the weekend events as they did in 2006.

I have been thinking of the celebrations for the King's Birthday as well (for a long time).

April 29th
I think we'll see a similar dinner like we did for the 60th Birthday. A private Black tie (without tiaras) dinner at Drottningholm for Royals and family and friends.

April 30th
I think it will pretty much be as the last round Birthday, with just some smaller changes.
- Service of Thanksgiving, Te Deum, in the Palace Church in the morning
- Changing of the Guard of Honour and the celebrations we usually see for the Birthday of the King, and kids are allowed to leave flowers and drawings.
- Celebrations at Lejonbacken/Norrbro for the public.
- Cortege through the city.
- Luncheon at the Nordic Musuem or the City Hall, with all VIP's attending.
- A concert or performance at the Royal Opera or the Royal Dramatic Theatre (as we saw back for his 50th birthday) just before the following dinner.
- Gala dinner (with tiaras) in Rikssalen followed by a ball in Vita Havet.

I also think we'll see quite a lot of foreign Royals attend, as it has been for the previous round birthdays. A lot of Ex-King's and Queens will attend as well as Princess Beatrix and Queen Sofia.

I don't think it will be as big as the 50:th birthday celebrations (though i would love if it is). That was extremly big. I expect something more like the 60:th. But maybe we can start a thread in the swedish royal family forum to discuss how we think the program will be ?

Last edited:
I think we will get a nice mix of foreign royals but I'd not be surprised to see Sofia, Beatrix, Albert and Paola come instead of their kids. They have a longer history with CG and are of the same age group. Haakon is his godson so I'd expect him and MM to attend. Would be nice if Elizabeth would actually attend an event but assume the Wessexes will come as usual.

Maybe they will use both the Royal Palace in Stockholm and Drottningholm Palace with a boat ride between the palaces as they have done on some occasions.

If so, maybe they'll do something like this

April 28

Representants from regions, municipalities and organisations in Sweden congratulates at either Royal Palace or Drottningholm

The Royal couple have some engagement connected to the birthday

Private family dinner at Haga Palace

April 29

The parliament, the government, the ambassadors and the military congratulates in the morning at either Royal Palace or Drottningholm

On the evening, a concert and a dinner, hosted somewhere by the parliament and the government

April 30

Service of Thanksgiving (Te Deum) in the Royal Palace Church

A 21 Gun Salute from Skeppsholmen (and the other swedish salute batteries around the country)

Changing of the Guards

The Royal Family gathers at "Lejonbacken" (the lion slope), waving to the crowd and listens to a music program. The King speaks and thanks everyone for the birthday wishes and for the support through the years. The national anthem is played and the Royal family goes back into the palace

Lunch for the guests at the Royal Palace

The Royal family travels by horse carriage from the Royal Palace to Riddarholmen. The guests travel by bus.
Everyone boards one or two steamships that takes them to Drottningholm.

Gala Performance in Drottningholm Palace Theatre

Gala Dinner at Drottningholm Palace

Just an idea ;)

Among the Royal guests, i think we mainly can expect those who are in the same generation as Carl-Gustaf and Silvia. Their children will attend unless they have something already planned.
Except the Danish and Norwegian Royal families where almost everyone will be present.

Hard to say if UK will send Royal representation. They did to the 50:th birthday celebrations (Philip and Charles) and didn't to the 60:th birthday celebrations (the ambassador went on behalf of The Queen). Would love to see the shock on everyone if QEII decides to surprise everyone and turn up herself ;)
If they send Royal representation i guess it will be The Earl and Countess of Wessex or maybe The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (who attended the wedding of C-G and Silvia in 1976).

Last edited:
Maybe they will use both the Royal Palace in Stockholm and Drottningholm Palace with a boat ride between the palaces as they have done on some occasions.

If so, maybe they'll do something like this

April 28

Representants from regions, municipalities and organisations in Sweden congratulates at either Royal Palace or Drottningholm

The Royal couple have some engagement connected to the birthday

Private family dinner at Haga Palace

April 29

The parliament, the government, the ambassadors and the military congratulates in the morning at either Royal Palace or Drottningholm

On the evening, a concert and a dinner, hosted somewhere by the parliament and the government

April 30

Service of Thanksgiving (Te Deum) in the Royal Palace Church

A 21 Gun Salute from Skeppsholmen (and the other swedish salute batteries around the country)

Changing of the Guards

The Royal Family gathers at "Lejonbacken" (the lion slope), waving to the crowd and listens to a music program. The King speaks and thanks everyone for the birthday wishes and for the support through the years. The national anthem is played and the Royal family goes back into the palace

Lunch for the guests at the Royal Palace

The Royal family travels by horse carriage from the Royal Palace to Riddarholmen. The guests travel by bus.
Everyone boards one or two steamships that takes them to Drottningholm.

Gala Performance in Drottningholm Palace Theatre

Gala Dinner at Drottningholm Palace

Just an idea ;)

Among the Royal guests, i think we mainly can expect those who are in the same generation as Carl-Gustaf and Silvia. Their children will attend unless they have something already planned.
Except the Danish and Norwegian Royal families where almost everyone will be present.

Hard to say if UK will send Royal representation. They did to the 50:th birthday celebrations (Philip and Charles) and didn't to the 60:th birthday celebrations (the ambassador went on behalf of The Queen). Would love to see the shock on everyone if QEII decides to surprise everyone and turn up herself ;)
If they send Royal representation i guess it will be The Earl and Countess of Wessex or maybe The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (who attended the wedding of C-G and Silvia in 1976).

I really like the idea of a boat ride, and not at a least a performance at the Drottningholm Palace Theatre. However, I don't know how nice a boat trip in late April would be (it could be warm and nice or snowy and windy). I also think that the dinner most likely will take place at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. Mostly because the Hall of State at Drottningholm aren't large enough for the size of this party.

I really like the idea of a boat ride, and not at a least a performance at the Drottningholm Palace Theatre. However, I don't know how nice a boat trip in late April would be (it could be warm and nice or snowy and windy). I also think that the dinner most likely will take place at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. Mostly because the Hall of State at Drottningholm aren't large enough for the size of this party.

Wasn't the 40th birthday of the King celebrated at Drottningholm back then?

As for a boat ride what about using the Vasaorden for a small boat tour in Stockholm.

I love the idea of a boat ride too like they did during Princess Madeleines wedding though there won't likely be much of warm summer weather in late April ;) Drottningholm Palace Theatre is lovely, completely unchanged since it was built 252 years ago, unique in the world and can take 400 persons so i thought this could be a good chance to show it to everyone who hasn't been there with a gala performance with huge media coverage.

A gala dinner at Drottningholm would be no problem. They can do like they did at Princess Christinas wedding and have long tables for the most prominent guests in the State Hall and round tables for the other guests in the surrounding saloons.

Or they can do as they did at Princess Madeleine's wedding and build a huge party tent outside the palace. Something i belive they have done before too but i can't remember when.

But the most likely scenario is probably that everything will happen in Stockholm.

Last edited:
Wasn't the 40th birthday of the King celebrated at Drottningholm back then?

As for a boat ride what about using the Vasaorden for a small boat tour in Stockholm.

I belive it was. I have seen pictures of a black tie dinner there from that ocassion. The 40:th birthday was a more low key affair then the 50:th and 60:th.

That would be lovely if they used "Vasaorden" again. I don't think they have done it before at one of his birthdays.

Or they can do as they did at Princess Madeleine's wedding and build a huge party tent outside the palace. Something i belive they have done before too but i can't remember when.

The black tie Dinner/Ball the evening before the 60th birthday was also held in a Tent at Drottningholm.

The black tie Dinner/Ball the evening before the 60th birthday was also held in a Tent at Drottningholm.

Yes that's when it was. Thank you :)

I was sure i had seen the Tent there before Madeleine's Wedding

Oh well, I might be completely off track, but wasn't there a tent for Victoira's wedding as well?

Nowadays there are very effective heating systems for tents, but I'm still not sure that a tent will be a very cozy solution for April.

Oh well, I might be completely off track, but wasn't there a tent for Victoira's wedding as well?

The Ball 2 days before was in the Castle. When i visited Drottninghiolm Palace a few months after the Wedding the guide told that they where not allowed to dance in the Hall of State there because of the wooden floor.

For the 60th birthday the press release on the celebrations was released on February 2nd. So we might not have to wait much longer!?

Expressen writes today that there will be a week of different celebrations when the King turns 70, culminating with 2 grand parties during Friday and Saturday.

Expressen writes that the King has secretly booked the Nordic Museum (Nordiska museet) in Stockholm for April 29, the day before his birthday. The plan is to have a huge official celebration there during Friday evening with the Royal family, the Royal house, the Sommerlath, O'Neill, Westling and Hellqvist families, Private friends and close relatives and lots of representants from the official Sweden.

On the actual birthday, there will be a huge private party at the Royal Palace to where all european monarches, heirs, other royals and Presidents is invited.

The guest list may be even bigger than at the Crown Princess Wedding in 2010 wich is Swedens most attended royal event so far.

The plan is to show parts of the celebrations on television.

Remember that nothing is confirmed so far but it looks like we have a VERY grand week to look forward to in April :)

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/kungens-70-arsdag-firas-med-jattekalas/

Last edited:
It sounds wonderful. I wonder whether the Wessexes will be at the celebrations?

I believe it would be appropriate for the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall to attend instead. I doubt they will though.

If Ed and Sophie have got an invitation, they'll likely be there. And the usual debate wether Charles should have attended instead will likely follow ;)

Will be interesting to see what parts that will be live on television and what will not.

As much as i would love to see it i doubt that the private party at the Palace will be live covered.
I would rather put my money on the party for official Sweden at the Nordic Museum and maybe also the Te Deum in the Palace Church.

Last edited by a moderator:
How were things for the King's 60th birthday? What was it televised and what not? Why shouldn't be this even in the same scale as the previous celebration? I fail to understand why a 70th birthday were to be considered less important that the 60th's

How were things for the King's 60th birthday? What was it televised and what not? Why shouldn't be this even in the same scale as the previous celebration? I fail to understand why a 70th birthday were to be considered less important that the 60th's

According to the article in Expressen this is planned to be a much larger celebration than his 60:th birthday. But we gotta wait for confirmation from the Royal Court.

As far as i remember, a Concert in the State Hall, the Te Deum in the Palace Church and the changing of the guard at the palace yard was televised during his 60:th Birthday.

I hope that Expressen got things right, because this sound pretty exciting.

I understood that the big private party will be on Friday in the Museum, while on Saturday there will be more official festivities at the castle with foreign royals, presidents, etc. So to me it sounds like the party in the museum will be black tie and private, while on Saturday there will be white tie, tiaras and probably tv broadcast at the castle. I hope that it will be a bit like the wedding or the Nobels, with the broadcast showing arrivals, speeches, the entertainment between the courses, etc.

I hope that Expressen got things right, because this sound pretty exciting.

I understood that the big private party will be on Friday in the Museum, while on Saturday there will be more official festivities at the castle with foreign royals, presidents, etc. So to me it sounds like the party in the museum will be black tie and private, while on Saturday there will be white tie, tiaras and probably tv broadcast at the castle. I hope that it will be a bit like the wedding or the Nobels, with the broadcast showing arrivals, speeches, the entertainment between the courses, etc.

No the article suggests it will be the other way around with an official party at the Nordic Museum on Friday and a private party at the Palace on Saturday. So i have no idea what may be televised and what won't.

Interesting that they don't mention a Concert at all. Usually there is always a Concert included in these kind of events. I remember when C-G turned 60 that there was a gala Concert in the state hall with the finest gowns and jewels brought out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DoRuF5qLTC8

No the article suggests it will be the other way around with an official party at the Nordic Museum on Friday and a private party at the Palace on Saturday. So i have no idea what may be televised and what won't.

Interesting that they don't mention a Concert at all. Usually there is always a Concert included in these kind of events. I remember when C-G turned 60 that there was a gala Concert in the state hall with the finest gowns and jewels brought out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DoRuF5qLTC8

I totally agree, but there could still be some kind of concert. For the King's 50th Birthday there was two concert actually. One hosted by the Parliament at the Royal Opera on the 29th, and one before the gala dinner on the 30th at the Royal Dramatic Theatre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom