Pictures of Queen Silvia before her Marriage

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden

IBL Bildbyrå

IBL Bildbyrå

Innsbruck 1974

Innsbruck 1974

IBL Bildbyrå

Svensk Damtidning 1973

IBL Bildbyrå

IBL Bildbyrå

1973/1974

Prisutdelning i Augsburgs rådhus 1972

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 21,289
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 10,065
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 21,534
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 14,595
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 5,811
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 12,898
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 17,806
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 12,133
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 21,830
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 13,495
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 17,192
Last edited by a moderator:
Josefine,

These are fantastic pictures ..... of my favourite Queen.

Hope you find some more pictures !!???!!!

Christian

Is it just me, or are there others, who think, that there are certain parallels between "Silvia Sommerlath" and Mary Donaldson?
I hope Silvia can be a support for Mary (like Queen Ingrid was for her...but in the opposite to Ingrid or Margrethe she knows, how it is to come as foreigner and commoner in a Scandinavian Royal house)

She's stunning at any age. Wow! :shock: :woot: :flower: :heart: Just the image of a queen.

here arte some other photos

and do not forget about the photos from her wedding with the king you can find them at the wedding forum

Attachments

• mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,666
  • mmmm.jpg
    mmmm.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 5,639
  • gggg.jpg
    gggg.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 5,165
  • mmm.jpg
    mmm.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 16,906
  • dddddd.jpg
    dddddd.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 6,903
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 6,989
i think this is from the engagment dinner

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 13,146
  • ffff.jpg
    ffff.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 16,865
  • rrr.jpg
    rrr.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 20,270
  • q.jpg
    q.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 9,968
Josefine said:
Svensk Damtidning 1973

IBL Bildbyrå

Can anybody read the article? What does it say? Did she really do an interview before she was engaged?

Lena said:
Is it just me, or are there others, who think, that there are certain parallels between "Silvia Sommerlath" and Mary Donaldson?
I hope Silvia can be a support for Mary (like Queen Ingrid was for her...but in the opposite to Ingrid or Margrethe she knows, how it is to come as foreigner and commoner in a Scandinavian Royal house)
No. SIlvia has way more naturalness about her. SHe does not have to be xlogged down in makeup and is quite beautiful

Helen88 said:
Can anybody read the article? What does it say? Did she really do an interview before she was engaged?
This was before my time, so I don't have that issue of the magazine and nore can I remember - but I would guess that perhaps they were allowed to ask a few questions. I wouldn't say it's a big interview, that's just how many magazines and newspapers often wish to make it look... But I can't say for sure, cause as I said - before my time! :)

two more of her

a bit larger of the black and white photo

i think this is before the marrige
she was dating the prince and was at a party in sweden but no one know of her then

Attachments

• 6e40xkwh_guest.jpg
    6e40xkwh_guest.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 7,253
  • 6e40xkxg_guest.jpg
    6e40xkxg_guest.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 6,271
  • skanna0020.jpg
    skanna0020.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 637
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 718
  • Untitled-1OK.jpg
    Untitled-1OK.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 10,089
Last edited by a moderator:
do people know of more photos of silvia before her marrige

As others have said, Silvia is one of those true classic beauties no matter what her age. No doubt Carl Gustav knows every day of his life that he made the right choice.:) She's the epitome of a gracious regal lady.

I know she is so beautiful and has aged very well. I think Madeleine looks more and more like her.

how many years did they date before they were official and was the engament a suprice or did the swedish people know about silvia

Josefine said:
how many years did they date before they were official and was the engament a suprice or did the swedish people know about silvia
They met at the olympics in 1972 and already back then Silvia met the kings sister Birgitta.
The first photo of them was taken on Öland when they stoped at a gas station, but I think the swedes knew about Silvia before that.
So the engagement was no big surprise. Perhaps we can compare it to the Victoria/Daniel story of today :D

Somewhere ask for a long time where is queen Silvia born (sorry I cann't find the thread). Here the answer:
Queen Silvia (Renate) is born at 23rd December 1943 at privat-women-clinic Dr.Erna Glaesmer in Heidelberg/Germany (the family lives at Dantestreet 28 in Heidelberg).

Last edited:
Josefine said:
do people know of more photos of silvia before her marrige

i got this little handout/book i found in a magazine cleaning my room today... it's a celebration of the queen's 60th birthday..and there are two pages with some mixed pictures of her before their marriage in the article... some of the pictures has been posted here... but i could scan those two pages if you or someone else is interested in them :)

Swedishme, could you please scan those pages?
Thanks in advance!! :)

Thanks for the pictures. Queen Silvia looked very beautiful when she was young.

Lena said:
You have a point, Lena, in that like Mary, Silvia met her future husband during events in/surrounding Olympic festivities; like Silvia, Mary did not have the same nationality as her future spouse. And they're both brunettes who married (future) kings of Scandinavian countries. But that's where the similarities end, in my opinion. No offense to Mary fans, but in my opinion, mary can't hold a candle to Silvia in the beauty department. It's clear from these wonderful pictures of Silvia pre-wedding, that Sweden's future queen was a natural knock-out who didn't need any stylist to bring out her physical best. With Mary however, she looked like a nice, somewhat plain, girl-next-door pre-Frederick. An attractive girl next door maybe, but she certainly was not the beautiful fashion clothes horse she now has become with the help of the right stylists, money, diet, etc. etc. Whereas Silvia needed none of that to come across as radiantly pretty. By the way, thanks Josefine, for the incredible pictures of a stunning queen.

A big Thanks to Swedishme and Josephine!!! :) Your pics of Silvia are great!! She was even more pretty than her daughters in her youth, imo.

princess olga said:
You have a point, Lena, in that like Mary, Silvia met her future husband during events in/surrounding Olympic festivities; like Silvia, Mary did not have the same nationality as her future spouse. And they're both brunettes who married (future) kings of Scandinavian countries. But that's where the similarities end, in my opinion. No offense to Mary fans, but in my opinion, mary can't hold a candle to Silvia in the beauty department. It's clear from these wonderful pictures of Silvia pre-wedding, that Sweden's future queen was a natural knock-out who didn't need any stylist to bring out her physical best. With Mary however, she looked like a nice, somewhat plain, girl-next-door pre-Frederick. An attractive girl next door maybe, but she certainly was not the beautiful fashion clothes horse she now has become with the help of the right stylists, money, diet, etc. etc. Whereas Silvia needed none of that to come across as radiantly pretty. By the way, thanks Josefine, for the incredible pictures of a stunning queen.

Queen Silvia was in fact a very pretty, elegant, and stylish girl. Not only Mary, but all of the new crown princesses of nowadays, can be compared to her charme and "elan".

princess olga said:

I agree to a certain point. But IMO the young Silvia had also her "ordinary girl"-days. The differences I see to Mary are, that Silvia had an more "classy" upbringing (surely also a reflection of the time then), while Mary grew up as sporty Aussie gal (jogging ppl were seen as freaks in the Germany of 1970). Besides I think Mary is more of a ponderer. It takes her longer to relax and to show a real broad smile. IMO her smile was Silvia´s trademark and it makes me somewhat sad to see these old pics and her paralysed face these days. Not that she has lost her humour and positive attitude towards life, but it simply doesn´t show as much... :(

Two old pics, in which IMO Silvia looks like the "girl next door" (Take a look at the drawings on the wall)

Attachments

• a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 20,006
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 8,956
Last edited:
Lena, I couldn't agree more with your last comment. The environments Silvia and Mary grew up in, probably made a ton of difference, as did the times, of course, as well. I have to also admit I'm a bit biased toward Silvia, as she just is one of my all time favorite royals. All the young and new crown princesses, again, don't compare to her in my opinion. But again, perhaps I'm a bit biased. What makes us like one person over another anyway, especially thinking I know none of them personally?! As for Silvia's face today, I agree her face has changed in such a way that I sometimes hardly recognize the Silvia of old. But I never realised (call me naive) she had plastic surgery done, but it makes sense, thinking of it!

princess olga said:
As for Silvia's face today, I agree her face has changed in such a way that I sometimes hardly recognize the Silvia of old. But I never realised (call me naive) she had plastic surgery done, but it makes sense, thinking of it!

It also took me really long to believe in the rumours. Only when Ritva, the "grand dame" of watching Swedish Royalty said, it´s (probably...it was never confirmed) true, I started to believe it. And IMO it shows quite a lot in the latest video clip, I´ve posted in the News-thread.
I´m though not sure, if she had really surgeries...maybe she just had injections of Botox and maybe some "padding" with (own) fat.

Lena said:
I´m though not sure, if she had really surgeries...maybe she just had injections of Botox and maybe some "padding" with (own) fat.

I think she really had injections of Botox on her mouth. Her lips are very different from the past. Her face changed a lot, it's true, but for me she's still one of the most charmeuse queen of Europe.

Like princess_olga maybe I'm a bit biased too. Queen Silvia said once (when she came to Expo 98 in Lisbon) that when she prays, she prays in portuguese, and since then every portuguese people feel a lot of tenderness for her! :)

i also think that her face looks a bit longer/ (slimmer?) back then when u compare it....is it true that she has plastic surgery/ "beauty" surgery done?

She is such a beautiful women. Thank you for posting!

Back
Top Bottom